Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old September 30th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
Legends of Scape (RPG)

LEGENDS OF SCAPE (RPG)

Welcome to Legends of Scape, a Heroscape Role Playing Game! Legends of Scape is played with the basic Heroscape game mechanics, but players start off with low level figures and through many battles and adventures slowly build their characters into mighty heroes.

Legends of 'Scape is a variation of Heroscape, similar to Heroes of 'Scape (RPG) started by kaiyu. The main differences from Heroes of 'Scape include: an increased number of spells, weapon bonuses, armor bonuses, lower starting stats, fewer character classes and races, special abilities cards, and spell cards. In many ways, Legends of 'Scape is an intermediate between Heroscape and Dungeons and Dragons--using the level advancement and role playing of D&D and the simplicity of the Heroscape battle system.

My sons and I have started a campaign with Legends of Scape and they really love it.

(Note: I want to give thanks to both kaiyu for Heroes of 'Scape and to Lamaclown for his A Look at the Masters thread, both of which showed me the possibilities of Heroscape!)

RULES
A full copy of the rules can be found here:
Legends of 'Scape Rules

Spell cards can be found here:
Legends of 'Scape Spell Cards

Skill cards can be found here:
Legends of 'Scape Skill Cards

Weapon and Armor cards can be found here:
Legends of 'Scape Weapons and Armor Cards

Blank Spell, Skill, Armor, Weapon, and Item cards can be found here in Powerpoint format:
Legends of 'Scape Blank Cards

Individual blank cards can be found:
Individual Blank Cards

Getting Started
All characters in Legends of Scape start off at level 1. The first thing to do is create a hero character:

1) All level 1 figures start with the same base 1st level stats (see Base Stats below)

2) Select a Race (Add your racial adjustment to your 1st level stats)

3) Select a Class (Add your class adjustments to your 1st level stats)

4) All level 1 figures receive 1 skill point. They may use their 1 skill point to select a skill or to select 3 daily magic spell points (1 skill point can buy 3 daily magic spell points)

5) All level 1 figures start out with 100 gold pieces. They may use that money to purchase spells (for magic users), weapons, and armor. (Add weapon and armor adjustments to your 1st level stats)

6) Start the adventure

BASE STATS
Spoiler Alert!

RACES
Spoiler Alert!

CHARACTER CLASSES
Spoiler Alert!

SPELLS
Spoiler Alert!

Legends of 'Scape uses spell cards to 1) keep spells simple and 2) allow players easy reference to spell effects. Here are some examples of spell cards:

Spell Card Examples

SKILLS
Spoiler Alert!

Legends of 'Scape uses skill cards to 1) keep skills simple and 2) allow players easy reference to skill effects. Here are some examples of skill cards:

Skill Card Examples

WEAPONS AND ARMOR
The kind of weapon used affects the Range and normal Attack of the figure.

The kind of armor worn affects the Defense and Move of the figure.

Here are some examples of weapons and armor cards:

Weapons and Armor Card Examples

PRE-MADE CHARACTERS
Here are some examples of Legends of 'Scape level 1 characters. These are the characters used by my sons and I in our first series of adventures.
Spoiler Alert!

Here is a blank Hero card:

I'll post details of our first adventures later. The Summoning spells are really awesome (and used the most by my sons).

Note that I'll probably make small changes to the rules as we go to keep the game balanced, but right now its there's more than enough information to start playing.

Future additions:
Counters for spells that require them
Magic Items
Non-battle spells (such as Scrying and Comprehend Languages)
Adventure modules
Animal cards (for summoning animals)

Last edited by White Knight; November 15th, 2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old October 1st, 2011, 08:44 PM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
Re: Legends of Scape (RPG)

Creating a Legends of Scape Level 1 Character

Here I want to go through an example of creating a level 1 Legends of Scape character.

EXAMPLE #1: ELVEN NINJA

I decide that I want an elven ninja. The base stats for a level 1 character are:
Life 2
Move 6
Attack 1
Defense 1
Initiative +0
Skill points 1

Since my character is an elf, I add the elven adjustments:
-1 life, +1 defense, +2 spell points/level, +2 initiative

(Note: I ignore the spell points, since ninjas cannot cast spells.)

Then I add the ninja class adjustments:
Ghost Walk, +2 defense, +2 initiative

My new stats are:
Life 1
Move 6
Attack 1
Defense 4
Initiative +4

Skills
All ninjas start the game with the Ghost Walk special ability.
With my 1 Skill Point I choose Shuriken Special Attack.

Weapons and Armor
I have 100 gp to spend on weapons and armor. I buy a Two-handed Katana (+2 Attack, Range 1) and a Long Bow (+0 Attack, Range 6). Ninjas cannot wear armor.

I might use the rest of my gold to buy a backpack, a lantern, a rope, and other miscellaneous equipment.

With his weapons, my ninja now has the following stats:
Life 1
Move 6
Range 1 (with sword) or 6 (with bow)
Attack 3 (with sword) or 1 (with bow)
Defense 4
Initiative +4

Figure
Last I need to choose a figure to use. I have a D&D ninja that I like, so I'll use that one.

Here is my final army card for my ninja:

I place the cards for Ghost Walk and Shuriken Special Attack next to my character for reference.
Old October 1st, 2011, 11:02 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm really liking the simplicity of this RPG so far. What has kept me from trying Heroes of Scape is all of the different classes/subclasses and whatnot. I'm thinking I may try this variation.
Spoiler Alert!

Now, when you say "After 8 hours of rest," does that mean 8 hours in real life? Or is there an in-game clock feature (ie: 8 minutes playing the game = 8 hours in the game)?

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old October 2nd, 2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post
I'm really liking the simplicity of this RPG so far. What has kept me from trying Heroes of Scape is all of the different classes/subclasses and whatnot. I'm thinking I may try this variation.
Spoiler Alert!

Now, when you say "After 8 hours of rest," does that mean 8 hours in real life? Or is there an in-game clock feature (ie: 8 minutes playing the game = 8 hours in the game)?
The 8 hours would be time in the game setting.

I haven't thought about how long a turn or round in a Heroscape battle would be (for example, a turn may be 10 seconds or 1 minute). So far I've just assumed that the players cannot recover spell points during a battle.

In the campaign I'm running with my sons, the characters are heading through a forest on behalf of the Duke of Bucknell to find out why the eastern outpost hasn't reported back in the last two months. The trip has taken several days. They've fought several battles, but so far I've haven't had more than one battle in the same day. That allowed them to rest and regain their magic spell points.

It's mostly up to the person running the game (Game Master) to let them know if their character has rested 8 hours. (In this way, it's like most pencil and paper role playing games.)

By the way, I was also a little overwhelmed by all the classes and subclasses in Heroes of 'Scape.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 09:57 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

The 8 hours would be time in the game setting.

I haven't thought about how long a turn or round in a Heroscape battle would be (for example, a turn may be 10 seconds or 1 minute). So far I've just assumed that the players cannot recover spell points during a battle.

In the campaign I'm running with my sons, the characters are heading through a forest on behalf of the Duke of Bucknell to find out why the eastern outpost hasn't reported back in the last two months. The trip has taken several days. They've fought several battles, but so far I've haven't had more than one battle in the same day. That allowed them to rest and regain their magic spell points.

It's mostly up to the person running the game (Game Master) to let them know if their character has rested 8 hours. (In this way, it's like most pencil and paper role playing games.)

By the way, I was also a little overwhelmed by all the classes and subclasses in Heroes of 'Scape.
I think a turn = 10 minutes would work well. If I'm not mistaken, one round would be equal to an hour. But how does resting work? Do you just declare that the figure has rested and continue on?

As for campaigns - are you going to make some and post them here? Or do we just make our own?

Also, I think you could maybe add a couple more races (maybe Orc or something). Just a suggestion.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:

I think a turn = 10 minutes would work well. If I'm not mistaken, one round would be equal to an hour. But how does resting work? Do you just declare that the figure has rested and continue on?

As for campaigns - are you going to make some and post them here? Or do we just make our own?

Also, I think you could maybe add a couple more races (maybe Orc or something). Just a suggestion.
In a turn, each figure may move and attack or may cast a spell. I'm thinking 10 seconds for a turn is good. Think about how far you can run in 10 seconds. Or think about firing a bow and arrow. You can definitely fire 1 or two arrows every 10 seconds. That would mean 1 round is 30 seconds.

As for the time in campaigns, after a battle I think the players would say something like: "We're going to set up camp and rest. We'll takes turns on guard duty." Then it would be up to the Game Master to decide if those 8 to 10 hours of rest are interrupted (perhaps by a dragon who spots the figures from the sky and drops in for lunch). It's really up to the Game Master to run the whole adventure.

As for posting campaigns, I'll be posting module LS1: Eastern Outpost soon. My sons and I have almost finished trying it out. I'm hoping to add many more as time goes on. Of course, I'd love to see others making adventures as well.

Yes, I'll probably add orc and vipers and some other races. In the rulebook I have Marro as a race already, but module LS1 has a Marro wizard. For my campaign, though, those races will only be as enemies.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 12:52 PM

The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby!

After briefly skimming the rules, it looks like you have created a very simple and entertaining RPG system. I'm eager to test it out but I was left with one question. Unless I overlooked a section of the rules, how do I know when and the amount of experience to give to my heroes? I'm assuming defeating enemies in combat will grant them experience, but are there any other actions that grant it as well? And when a hero does kill a foe, how much experience does he receive? If I simply missed this section in the rules please forgive my ignorance.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:53 PM

I'm making a character, and I'm almost done:
Spoiler Alert!

How does one determine the amount of Spell Points to give their character?

Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

Your character looks great so far!

1 skill point can buy 3 daily magic spell points. So instead of buying a skill, your halfling gets 3 daily spell points. This allows him or her to cast 3 first level spells a day (first level wizards may only cast 1st level spells).
Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Quote:
Spoiler Alert!

Your character looks great so far!

1 skill point can buy 3 daily magic spell points. So instead of buying a skill, your halfling gets 3 daily spell points. This allows him or her to cast 3 first level spells a day (first level wizards may only cast 1st level spells).
So my character has 3 Spell Points right now?

Are NPCs/enemies just normal Heroscape squads and heroes? Have you worked out how to obtain experience and gold?

Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CEE View Post
After briefly skimming the rules, it looks like you have created a very simple and entertaining RPG system. I'm eager to test it out but I was left with one question. Unless I overlooked a section of the rules, how do I know when and the amount of experience to give to my heroes? I'm assuming defeating enemies in combat will grant them experience, but are there any other actions that grant it as well? And when a hero does kill a foe, how much experience does he receive? If I simply missed this section in the rules please forgive my ignorance.
Good question.
First, from the rulebook:
Figures gain experience points equal to the points of opponent’s figures they defeat. Divide experience equally among all figures that helped in the battle to defeat the figures.

So if you have 6 characters, and they battle 3 squads of Marrden Nagrubs (90 total points), then each character gets 15 experience points after the battle.

I know that D&D and other roleplaying games give experience for overcoming traps, solving puzzles, completing the mission, and so on. But I wanted to keep it very straightforward for my kids. Also, my kids are used to Pokemon and Final Fantasy, where experience is only tied to defeating opponents.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
So my character has 3 Spell Points right now?

Are NPCs/enemies just normal Heroscape squads and heroes? Have you worked out how to obtain experience and gold?
Yes, your halfling wizard has 3 spell points right now. And since you have 73 gold, you can buy several more 1st level spells.

For experience, see the above post.

So far we've battled:
Marrden Nagrubs (3 squads)
Goblin Cutters (3 squads)
Feral Trolls (2 heroes)
Marro Outpost with 4 squads of Nagrubs, 2 squads of Marro Drudge, and a 3rd level Marro wizard

At the outpost, they found 2 magic potions, 3 single spell scrolls, and a magical shield. They haven't found any gold yet, but I think I'm going to pay them a small amount for completing the first mission. In the future, some monsters they fight will have gold.

For most enemies, I use the points on the army card for experience. But I intend to make special characters (such as the Marro wizard, bugbears with 2 or 3 lives, or very strong dragons with spellcasting abilities) that don't follow their army cards. When I do, I'll have to come up with an experience number for them.

I'd love to add other people's enemies to an "Enemy Figures" supplemental rulebook, so let me know if you come up with some Legends of Scape unique enemies.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions