Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old June 20th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

We've had a bit of a Tomb resurgence recently. I thought I had cooled on the game and was considering trading it away. But darned if I'm not loving it at the moment. Undoubtedly a keeper now.

Strangely enough, A Touch of Evil is the one I've really tired of. I find it just doesn't hold up after repeated plays and now it bores me to tears.
Old June 21st, 2009, 09:58 AM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker

Got a couple plays of Race for the Galaxy in. Man I love this game. Just need to keep the wife playing so she can get better and we can have consistently competitive games.
Old June 21st, 2009, 10:08 AM

Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby!

Heroscape.
Old June 21st, 2009, 10:48 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I played Starcraft last night. I got the win with Jim Raynor. There were two Protoss players and the Overmind as well.
Old June 21st, 2009, 11:09 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbistro View Post
Strangely enough, A Touch of Evil is the one I've really tired of. I find it just doesn't hold up after repeated plays and now it bores me to tears.
Would you mind elaborating on this mrbistro? I've almost purchased ATOE three times, but each time I've barely decided not to. The busty chick in the tricorn hat aesthetic and gameplay seems like something I would really enjoy, but I've heard people make similar claim about the short life.

Old June 21st, 2009, 11:13 AM

royaldoy has disabled reputation

I had a chance to play A Castle for all Seasons, Pillars of the Earth and Chang Cheng. I was impressed with Castle and I can't wait till I get my grubby hands on my own copy.

Chang Cheng was an interesting territory game with ugly bits. Fun and simple though.

Pillars I had played a couple of years ago and decided to give it another whack. It was enjoyable but I still like most other worker placement games over this one.

I choose you...Isamu!
Old June 21st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It's been a good gaming week for me. Bunjee is visiting her family in Seattle so I've occupied myself playing boardgames:

Cthulhu 500
Race for the Galaxy
Battlelore
Memoir '44
Pandemic
Galaxy Trucker
Tikal

@LilNewbie: 1960 is a fantastic game! It may be my favorite medium-heavy two-player game. Bunjee and I played tons of games when we first got it. It can be a bit cumbersome the first time you play, but after that the summary on the back page of the rules is all you need. I've also played Twilight Struggle, which is by the same designer and uses similar mechanics, and I think 1960 is the superior game: it streamlines the mechanics and plays in about half the time (usually about 1hr 45 min).

@MrBistro and CheddarLimbo: I think the thing that ATOE offers that other games don't is the ability to play either fully competitive or fully cooperative. However, I can understand the legitimate complaint that the jack-of-all-trades is the master of none. I think the game actually plays best with multiple teams so you can get the best of cooperative and competitive play.
Old June 21st, 2009, 12:57 PM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbistro View Post
Would you mind elaborating on this mrbistro? I've almost purchased ATOE three times, but each time I've barely decided not to. The busty chick in the tricorn hat aesthetic and gameplay seems like something I would really enjoy, but I've heard people make similar claim about the short life.
AToE is a very solid game, but most of its mechanics can be found in other games. If you're new to gaming, or just don't have a lot of adventure games, you'll probably love AToE and never grow tired of it. I however happen to be an adventure game junky, and have grown tired of the "flip a card and see what happens to you" Talisman mechanic so many of them have. AToE is a good game, and I've certainly had fun with it, but it just doesn't offer up enough new elements to keep me interested.
Old June 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I just got the Innsmoth expansion for Arkham Horror, and to echo the thoughts of pretty much anyone else who plays the game, it is superior to the Kingsport Horror expansion, and on a par with the Dunwich Horror expansion.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:11 AM

ewabbie knows what's in an order marker ewabbie knows what's in an order marker

Played a game of Decent Saturday night and finshed Sunday. It has been awhile since we played. Pulled the boxes out of the basement (we have all the expansions) and setup on the dining room table for the weekend.(my wife is out of town). Had great fun. The last game we played was a Road to Legend and this game was just a normal game so we spent much time sorting the cards and getting everything setup. But when you have not played for awhile even that is enjoyable.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

PLayed a ton of Wings of War. Last night we played a couple games of Smallworld. I won one and lost one. Brserk Ocs were a disspointment while her merchant skeletons were a force. There were about three turns where she was collecting 18+ thanks to merchant.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:46 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcurse View Post
PLayed a ton of Wings of War. Last night we played a couple games of Smallworld. I won one and lost one. Brserk Ocs were a disspointment while her merchant skeletons were a force. There were about three turns where she was collecting 18+ thanks to merchant.
Ouch! Merchant is rough. Especailly when it is teamed with a regenerating race like the Skeletons. I got it with Sorcerers once, and that was great.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games