Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old January 14th, 2008, 11:54 AM

decker44 has disabled reputation
Custom dice tower

Hi all, I'm new to the game and the site, and well custom anything for that matter. I want to start by thanking Imax for great plans, and Raudulfr for inspiration to do this - after seeing his tower (http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=10213) I knew that I had to immediately make one myself.

so here are some pics of what i have done so far... and im feeling pretty good about it....

as i was typing this the UPS guy came to my door with my Raknar's vision and Vydar's flag bearer - wicked timing!!!

so it is a scaled down version of imax's (just like raud did) i printed it at 90% which somehow came out to 8inches tall... instead of using pins i used a bunch of tape and glue - and i used cardboard because it was what i had for free at work.

thanks again to raudulfr his foam method is pure genius and the stuff is like 90 cents a sheet so mistakes really don't matter

so to make mine different i went with a different top and im making the front like a drawbridge - thinking the tray lining is going to look like wood to go along with it ... not sure yet

im looking for painting tips if you guys have any as im super newb to custom and never really painted anything but houses before...

thanks for taking a look and any feedback/tips are welcome.

Old January 14th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Brilliant! What about doing the front under the arch so it looks like a portcullis? You'll have to cut the foam out under the arch and probably glue a flat piece of paper there with the art. Or better yet! Cut away the arch and paint the tower behind it black. Then make a little portcullis out of bulldog wire or paper clips and glue it on top of the black, but underneath the foam.

Either way, I can't wait to see it.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old January 14th, 2008, 04:03 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Very nice!

It's cool you were inspired to make your own. I like the portcullis idea a lot. I think heavy gauge wire would work as well.
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
How much do those foam sheets bend? Would they be able to bend around an old biscotti container?
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:02 PM

HS ~ KNT is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
There are different types of foam... the foam core that you would use in most circumstances to create a dice tower is unlikely to bend that much.

But a thinner foam, like a sheet of pakaging foam would probably do it...

~Neko, who's always built hers out of cardboard. A year and a half, and one move later still in great shape. =^-^=

~Neko: Leaving, sadly. I hope to see you all around. =^-^=

Making Custom Fixes for Heroscape Once more, I will say my camera hates me.
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:23 PM

decker44 has disabled reputation
so here is some progress shots

here are the sides
ive started painting the base and will be starting on the walls soon

as for the portcullis - well i started to draw one ... realize it looks kinda like wood so i am taking the easy way out ...

for anybody considering this project - the tower to very minimal time to make ... decorating the overlays is the long part...

as for the foam ... the fun foam sheets will easily bend around containers

so here are a couple progress pics.

Old January 16th, 2008, 09:24 PM

Fatespuppet has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US
How much do those foam sheets bend? Would they be able to bend around an old biscotti container?
I have never tried it with foam core, but you could use a series of kerf cuts to bend it around the container. Kerf cuts are a series of identical cuts that go most of the way through the material and leave only a thin layer on the outside. The section can then bend to match a curve.

Example:

I would imagine they would work with foam core since it's just poster board with foam sandwiched between.

This is not the path I thought.
This is not the place I sought.
This is not the dream I bought,
just a fever of fate I've caught.
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
The sheets they are using for the exteriors are very thin and very pliable. I think you would have no trouble with your proposal.
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Quote:
The sheets they are using for the exteriors are very thin and very pliable. I think you would have no trouble with your proposal.
Agreed.
Old January 17th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
The sheets they are using for the exteriors are very thin and very pliable. I think you would have no trouble with your proposal
Alrighty then, thanks
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Re: so here is some progress shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by decker44
as for the portcullis - well i started to draw one ... realize it looks kinda like wood so i am taking the easy way out ...

Based on what I'm seeing here, Imax's idea would work great.

InfinityMax wrote:
Quote:
Cut away the arch and paint the tower behind it black. Then make a little portcullis out of bulldog wire or paper clips and glue it on top of the black, but underneath the foam.
Build the Portcullis out of heavy-gauge wire. I'm sure you can pull it off! Don't take the easy way out. Good luck!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles