Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old November 21st, 2010, 11:34 AM

DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Book of Master of the Hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberClaw16 View Post
I don't like that you have to move before you roll for his Javelin range, with 7 range it completely affects where you'll move to, rather than moving towards a target who you suddenly can even hit.
I have been thinking about this as well.
I guess I'll have to play him a couple of times to find out exactly how to deal with this ability.
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:44 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Players are freely able to adjust any and all of their figures on their turn and at any point during their turn including during the attack phase. For this reason, the figure's sculpt blocking line of sight should never be an issue for a single hex figure. It is an issue for double hex figures because they cannot be flipped during attack phase.

Now for aura abilities like Raelin's, you cannot adjust her on your opponent's turn so if her wing is blocking something to the side and back of her (rare) then it is just blocking it, but MotH's shield should never be a problem when attacking.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM

Crazybob is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberClaw16 View Post
I don't like that you have to move before you roll for his Javelin range, with 7 range it completely affects where you'll move to, rather than moving towards a target who you suddenly can even hit.
I have been thinking about this as well.
I guess I'll have to play him a couple of times to find out exactly how to deal with this ability.
I have noticed this too and it makes him a bit less useful as a sniper. He seems like he will do well in an assasin roll to take out figures like: Kelda, Ralin, and other cheerleader figures that are essential to your opponets plans. His six life will be helpful and let him survive long enough to (hopefully) take out his target. Like many other heroes he will fall quickly to squads since his power only can help him take out heroes. Heirloom could be a good support unit to help him if a bunch of squads try to swamp him and could help him against squads that special attacks can more easily take out like Brutes and Goblins since he is lacking in the special attacks department.
Old November 21st, 2010, 06:41 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

From the limited play I've seen with him, he really shines as a a figure who is tough to kill and can sneak in those extra wounds on heroes like Grimnak, Tor-Kul-Na, and the various dragons. He's not meant to be played as a long range assassin, though when he gets that longer range on his advance, or when moving to a new target after killing one, it's gravy.

Old November 21st, 2010, 07:04 PM

Looking East knows what's in an order marker Looking East knows what's in an order marker

His extra damage dealing abillity makes him quite unpredictable and luck dependent. Before actually playing him I was seriously not impressed with his abillities and cost, but after taking him for a spin a couple of times I must admit that when the dice fall favorably on that first roll, he can do a lot of damage. It makes it more probably that he will either do no damage or a lot of damage compared to a unit that strikes twice for 4 like Q10. The other nice thing is that he can benifit from height unlike wrist rocket. I'm still not a big fan, but I can see how a person who likes high risk and reward style pieces would get a kick out of this guy. If you do land a nice lucky 3 or 4 dmg blow with that first roll, he really is quite devistating.

Out of two games, he only earned his points on one of them, but I must admit finishing off Braxas' last 5 hp in one hit was pretty damn cool.
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:28 PM

Saucy Jack Woo who?

Quick question guys. Why is the wording for MOTH's mortal strike say normal attack? He doesn't have a special attack. Or does him getting Javelin make him not be able to use Mortal Strike. I'm sorry to complicate this as we always try to to what the card says and not what it doesn't say, but the use of normal attack just makes no sense at all. I'm in the middle of a game and my opponent thinks I can't use mortal strike, but I would think I can. Any clarification is appreciated. Thanks
SJ
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:29 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Jack View Post
Quick question guys. Why is the wording for MOTH's mortal strike say normal attack? He doesn't have a special attack. Or does him getting Javelin make him not be able to use Mortal Strike. I'm sorry to complicate this as we always try to to what the card says and not what it doesn't say, but the use of normal attack just makes no sense at all. I'm in the middle of a game and my opponent thinks I can't use mortal strike, but I would think I can. Any clarification is appreciated. Thanks
SJ
Perhaps the designers considered releasing some glyph that allowed a unit to use a special attack inherent to the glyph at some point.

Old November 21st, 2010, 10:09 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

I think Taeblewalker has a reasonable explanation from the data at hand.
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:55 PM

Saucy Jack Woo who?

That sounds reasonable. Thank you gentlemen.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:38 AM

winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by winonavampire View Post
This guy is a a tiny large! I know we had the same conversation about the Ice Troll, but the MotH is the same size as the SoJ, PoU and MoU! He is *slightly* larger then then IE.
Someone anonymously asked me my point, so I have to explain myself. I was making an observation. If you look at the Large MotH and the Medium Kyrie I mentioned, they are the same size. That was my point.

Why did I make it in the books? Because if you don't make such a point in the books, you will get scolded and told "this is what the books are for" lol.

I also agree that they were leaving design space open for treasure glyghs. I have a couple custom treasure glyphs:

Wand of Lightning Bolt. Single Use: See Mimring's Fire Line Special Attack

Wand of Fire Ball: SingleUse: See Deathwalker's Explosion Special Attack

Funny thing was, I had to clearify/errata/house rule all the Deadly Strike figures to say "Normal Attack" so that their Deadly Strike doesn't affect the treasure glyph special attacks.

Pretty cool that the MotH has this clarification built in.

**I should clarify, these treasure glyphs were well before D&D and therefore didn't use the actual Treasure Glyph Rules, mainly, common squads could pick up and use treasure. Once the item was picked up, any of the figures in that squad could use the item (only one time among the whole squad if it is a single use.)

**Since the beginning, we play all common squads as basically uncommon, meaning, you can have as many of each squad as you want, but you activate them individually and they are marked like uncommons to distinguish each figure in the squad.

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Q9...

Check out my
customs, maps and mods!

Trades Here.

Last edited by winonavampire; November 22nd, 2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Played a quick game today to test out some of the newer large figures I have and MotH was dominate in that format. Here were the armies played:

Charos.......210
Sujoah.......185
MotH.........140
Feral Troll....90....625

vs.

Jotun...........225
Shurrak........160
Frost Giant....140
Iron Golem....100......625

On the first attack of the game MotH killed the Iron Golem. He later finished off a wounded Frost Giant, then took down Shurrak all on his own. At that point the hot dice cooled off and Jotun cleaned his clock.

His 6 move and single base really let him move around the board and gain the high ground where avilable, making him a 5/5, 6life terror. While Mortal Strike was really nice to have, his Javelin power never came into play at all. He obviously isn't a huge threat in a squadscape setting, but outside of that format he can really shine.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:57 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Jack View Post
Quick question guys. Why is the wording for MOTH's mortal strike say normal attack? He doesn't have a special attack.
Perhaps the designers considered releasing some glyph that allowed a unit to use a special attack inherent to the glyph at some point.
I had always assumed (and you know what that leads to) that such phrasings on powers was meant to clarify that the power doesn't affect Leaving-Engagement Attacks. Take, for example, the Cell Divide power; it explicitly states "from a normal or special attack." If the designers had meant for the power to trigger any time the figure recieves wounds, would it have been necessary to include that clarification?

Of course, this doesn't take special powers that inflict wounds into account...

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units