Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Notices

Old July 7th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Khanbob42 has disabled reputation
HS Dungeon Crawl

So I was thinking of creating some rules to make Heroscape into a possible dungeon crawler type of game. Before I do though I am wondering if there is anything of the sort that has already been created by the communty here.

Basically my thoughts are to use the heroscape terrain and figures to create a game system similar to that of Descent, Doom, or Space Hulk. I sometimes play with a large group (6+ players) and doing 3vs3 team games can get kinda boring sometimes. A dungeon crawl game would turn it into more of a 1vs5 type of scenario with people having to work together to accomplish a common goal against (or with) the GM.

I realize this could just as easily be accomplished with custom maps and scenarios but I would like to add an RPG element as well. That way the players would become more invested into the character(s) that they are playing.

If anyone knows of something like this that has been done already just let me know. Otherwise, I will start brainstorming and see what me and my friends can come up with.

-Khanbob42-
Old July 7th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I thought of something almost exactly like this a while ago! I even started a fan fic to go with it, but completely forgot about it! Thanks for reminding me, now I need to finish it. Then I can write up my rules.

Also, there could be multiple levels, too. You could have a large map and a "DM" who sets everything up, and the other players could all have their figures run around accomplishing preset goals or something. This allows ambushes and such by the forces of evil as well.

Or, you could go into an all out RPG using similar to D&D Miniatures except with HS stuff.
Old July 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Follow this link and download this slick little set of rules by none other than Imax.

http://www.heroscapers.com/download/index.php?cid=6

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Thanks!

Those rules don't seem to really involve HS at all but I'm sure that will at least give me a good start on coming up with my own.

That or I'll wait and see what Fuzzie Fuzz comes up with.
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Dictatorbilbo is surprisingly tart
There was a set of rules in one of the codexes... Though, for the life of me, I can't quite remember which one...

MR. GRUBBY'S
GRAND ADVENTURE

~ ONLY IN THE ~
KAUNAN KEEP
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictatorbilbo
There was a set of rules in one of the codexes... Though, for the life of me, I can't quite remember which one...
Here are my rules from the Heroscape Codex:
Quote:
Heroscape Underground Bastion of Utgar

Heroscape underground is a set of simple rules for fighting Heroscape battles in an underground environment. It is really just a set of expanded scenario rules and is derived almost exclusively from Mageknight Dungeons.

In heroscape Underground each player sends in their teams of figures and attempt to exit from their opponent’s entrance on the opposite side of the map. The player who collects the most glyphs, and escapes from the exit, wins.

Setting Up

There are a few more steps to follow when setting up for a game of HSU. In addition to building a map either free form or from a scenario, players will need to do the following:

Build a Denizens Deck – This is easy, just take all of your Utgar army cards and place them in a stack nearby. Whenever a player is asked to draw from this deck he will close his eyes and pick a random card from the middle of the deck, and then reshuffle.

Place wandering monster tokens- Place a wandering monster token face down, as close to the center of each room on the map as possible.

Players take turns placing doors- Each player may place three doors on the map anywhere in a hallway or at the end of a hallway. No door may be placed in or adjacent to a player’s entrance hall.

Draft a team- Players each draft 200 -250 points of forces from the remaining cards for dungeons numbering 6-8 rooms/caverns. Larger dungeons will have more caverns and so add 50 points for every 2 caverns in excess of 8. Dragons and other units that have a height of 9 or more may not be drafted. Once drafted, place your team on one of the entrance areas. Your opponent places his figures on the opposite entrance area that is a matching color on the scenario map. I suggest that players play forces from opposing Generals if at all possible for theme. Otherwise, just consider your team to be mercenaries.

Prepare order markers- In HSU there may be times when opposing players may both have order markers on the same unit card. Players should mark their order markers so that they do not get their order markers mixed up.

Rules pertaining to being Underground

Doors- Doors are found in various areas of the underground. Players place the doors at the beginning of the game and all doors begin the game closed. A closed door blocks movement and LOS. To open or close a door, costs an adjacent figure 2 movement points. Engaged units that wish to open a door will be subject to a passing swipe unless they have the disengage ability. Doors represent a pathway into a tunnel, and may not be flown or leaped over. All doors have a height of 8, and any figure taller than 8 may not pass through a door.

Empty Space- Any area of empty space on an underground map is considered to be impassible and also blocks LOS. Imagine that the empty areas are really solid rock and that the map areas are really tunnels and chambers underground. Players may want to use a piece of string when determining LOS. Stretch the string from the attacker’s sight dot to the hit zone of the target. If any part of the string crosses and empty space, then LOS is blocked.

Caverns/ Rooms- Large open areas in the map are considered cavernous rooms. Figures in a cavern may use fly ability if they have it and may maneuver to high ground etc. just like they were above ground.

Tunnels- Tunnels connect areas of the underground and prevent flying due to the cramped space. Most tunnels are just one or two spaces wide, and are represented on the map by sand hexes.

Drop ability- The Drop ability that is employed by the Airborne Elite is not used in HSU.

Summon Ability- The summon ability requires the summoning figure to have LOS to the summoned figure.

Bonding- In order to activate the bonded unit, at least one figure in the squad must have LOS to the bonded hero.

Mindshackle- Figures captured by Mindshackle immediately become denizens.

Glyphs
Players take turns placing glyphs. Glyphs are placed randomly face down on any cavern space chosen by the players but may not be placed in the cavern adjacent to their entrance zone. No cavern may have more than one glyph. Continue placing glyphs until there are no more glyphs or until all caverns have one glyph. Glyphs remain face down until a non-denizen figure moves onto it. Figures may carry some glyphs around and can drop them in an adjacent space at any time. When a hero figure is destroyed or the last figure in a squad is destroyed, any Glyph that was being carried is placed on the last space occupied by the figure. Glyphs that have been dropped by a figure may be moved onto by denizens, and are then discarded. Glyphs work just a little differently in the underground:

Glyph of Astrid- A hero or squad that lands on this glyph has found a powerful artifact. Place the glyph on the figures card. All figures belonging to that card receive the +1 attack. If all the figures belonging to this card are destroyed, place the glyph in the spaced once occupied by the last figure destroyed.

Glyph of Gerda- A hero or squad that lands on this glyph has found a powerful artifact. Place the glyph on the figures card. All figures belonging to that card receive the +1 Defense. If all the figures belonging to this card are destroyed, place the glyph in the spaced once occupied by the last figure destroyed.

Glyph of Valda- A hero or squad that lands on this glyph has found a powerful artifact. Place the glyph on the figures card. All figures belonging to that card receive the +2 move. If all the figures belonging to this card are destroyed, place the glyph in the spaced once occupied by the last figure destroyed.

Glyph of Dagmar-
A hero or squad that lands on this glyph has found a powerful artifact. Place the glyph on the figures card. The player controlling this card receives a +8 to initiative. If all the figures belonging to this card are destroyed, place the glyph in the spaced once occupied by the last figure destroyed.

Glyph of Ivor- A hero or squad that lands on this glyph has found a powerful artifact. Place the glyph on the figures card. All figures belonging to that card receive the +4 to range if they had a range greater than 4. If all the figures belonging to this card are destroyed, place the glyph in the spaced once occupied by the last figure destroyed.

Glyph of Kelda- The figures have stumbled upon a healing wellspring. Only figures with one or more Wound Markers may stop on this Glyph. When one of your figures stops here, remove all Wound Markers from its Army Card, and discard this glyph.

Glyph of Erland -When one of your figures stops here, you may “summon” any other figure (yours or your opponent’s) in LOS, by moving it to a space adjacent to the figure on the Glyph. The summoned figure does not receive a leaving engagement roll if it was engaged. Note: If there is no empty adjacent space, you can’t use the Summon power. This glyph stays in play on the spot it was revealed.

Glyph of Mitonsoul-Your team has unleashed a terrible curse. For each figure that you control on the battlefield, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1, the figure is destroyed. If you roll 2 through 20, the figure is safe. Discard this glyph after rolling for all of your figures.

Glyph of Brandar- A figure, who moves onto a Glyph of Brandar, has sprung a trap. Roll one red attack die. If you roll a skull the figure receives one automatic wound marker. Discard the glyph after the trap is sprung.

Playing the game

Placing orders- Players each roll a d20. The highest roller places an order marker on any card that he controls or any active denizen card or on any unrevealed wandering monster token that does not already have an order marker on it. The players alternate placing orders until all orders have been placed. A player may not place orders on a Denizen card if the figures for that card are on the same cavern or tunnel area as the player’s own forces UNLESS there are opposing figures in LOS of the denizen figures.

Roll initiative- Players roll to see who goes first. The highest roller begins by revealing his 1st order marker, and activating that card or wandering monster token. Players alternate until all order markers have been revealed.

Activating a wandering monster token- When a player uses an order marker that was placed on a wandering monster token, he is able to move the token up to 4 spaces ignoring penalties for elevation as if the token had the fly ability. If a token moves to a space that is in LOS of any non-denizen figure, remove the token. Randomly draw a card from the denizen deck and place the corresponding figures on or as close as possible to the space where the token was revealed. If a token is revealed in this manner the activation is over once the figures are placed and the units do not get to attack or move any further.

Activating a denizen card- When you activate an order marker on a denizen card you treat that activation as if you controlled those figures with the following rules and exceptions:

-Denizens may not attack other denizen figures.
-Denizens engaged with your figures when activated MUST make an attack, and may not disengage.
-Denizens may not reveal glyphs or wandering monster tokens.
-Denizens may not intentionally harm themselves by stepping in lava or jumping off cliffs or disengaging.

Activating a Hero or Squad- When you activate a card, use all the normal rules for Heroscape, with the added rules in this document. During an activation if any figure moves to a space that allows LOS to an unrevealed wandering monster token, momentarily pause your activation and allow your opponent to place the wandering monsters as described above.

Total destruction of a team- If a player’s entire hero team is destroyed he is not out of the game. However, he must remove the #3 order marker from his set of markers and may not use it for the rest of the game.

Winning the Game

Play continues until there are no longer any hero figures left on the map and only denizens. Remember that the goal is to get as many figures off your opponent’s entrance with as much loot as possible. Once play is over, the side who made it off their opponent’s entrance carrying the most glyphs wins the game. If both players have the same amount of glyphs then add up the point value of the surviving figures. The player with the most points worth of surviving figures wins. As you will see it is possible that no player is victorious as the caverns can be quite treacherous. Never fear there are heroes throughout time who may rise again for the challenge.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old July 9th, 2007, 04:19 PM

Thanks those rules will definitely be interesting to play.

I think I'll use those in combination with some rules that rdhight sent me to create a rules set that has a bit of an rpg feel to it.

EDIT:
I found this thread. I think that may have to do with the rules you posted above for those interested:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...read.php?t=920

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions