Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old January 13th, 2021, 03:27 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
If it turns out to be too bland in testing, I'll definitely look for something else but they should be quite unique.
If you haven't tested this, it doesn't belong here yet. Taking a design here doesn't have to be the last step in the process, but you should have a good feel for how the unit plays before taking it to this thread.
Old January 13th, 2021, 03:33 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
If it turns out to be too bland in testing, I'll definitely look for something else but they should be quite unique.
If you haven't tested this, it doesn't belong here yet. Taking a design here doesn't have to be the last step in the process, but you should have a good feel for how the unit plays before taking it to this thread.
I've only played about 5 games with them. I wanted to get feedback before I continued in an awkward direction without more refinement.

I just have a much different opinion of bland... as history shows lol. So I was posting in the only active workshop I saw.
Old January 13th, 2021, 04:20 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Are the size of these figures (and the pack they come in that you eluded to) correct "heroscape size"? I'm hopeful the answer is yes...but I'm surprised that such good minis with such good availability haven't been found yet...so I'm skeptical. Maybe you could post some "action shots" of them on a battlefield with some figure references.

Also, these minis look Human. I see no reason to make them a different species. They're clearly wearing skull masks, unlike Corvor who is literally a demon, so his head is just a skull.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old January 13th, 2021, 04:37 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've only played about 5 games with them. I wanted to get feedback before I continued in an awkward direction without more refinement.
That's fine then. Do you have your own customs thread where you post these for early feedback?
Old January 13th, 2021, 04:37 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just have a much different opinion of bland... as history shows lol. So I was posting in the only active workshop I saw.
Take a minute and ask yourself why it is important to you to have your design put through the SoV. From what Ive seen it doesnt appear to be a fun process. Its a slow process in which you have to appease a majority of judges that have their own tastes and biases. When I play tabletop wargames its about having a good time, which to me, which is why I dont bother here. This post isnt to discourage you, but to get you thinking about why you want your stuff in here and if it would benefit you in any way. Some of these designs have taken years to complete. Is it important to you and your local gaming group? Have fun and good luck at whatever road you take.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old January 13th, 2021, 05:42 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

@Scytale

Yes, I have a thread on here but admittedly I usually go to discord or keep most of my customs to myself because I don't think they'd interest anyone. I've only recently tried to get move involved with the community and this hobby because I would like to improve my process and designs on the whole. Most stuff I've made in the past 10 years has been good enough for me, I wanted to step out and try to improve. I'm open to learning what I need to learn.

@Sir Heroscape

They appear to be standard size for a D&D miniature, they come in the D&D ICEWIND DALE: RIME OF THE FROSTMAIDEN as #001 and #014 respectively. From what I can tell they don't seem too far off from standard human size for D&D which has minor discrepancies with heroscape. At timestamp 1:00 is where the miniature get a full viewing.

I hear you with skepticism, I'd submit that these miniatures are fairly recent and I don't know that anyone has been interested in them. I don't see a ton of activity in this custom forum unlike 10 years ago. As for them being humans, I'm not terribly opposed to that idea. That is fine feedback, I had the idea of building on them a bit more and wanted to distance them from the vikings. Explaining them as a specific tribe helped my head canon a bit for where I wanted to take them.

@TREX

I don't have a local gaming group. I play with family sometimes but the majority of my enjoyment from Heroscape comes from designing and playing online. I'm trying to change that with 3D printing but an out of print game isn't super popular. I don't enjoy games like Warhammer or other tabletop games outside of D&D out of personal preference. It's something that I share with younger members of my family where real life is concerned.

I want to at least be a part of or try the process and learn because I feel that I would greatly regret not contributing to or being a part of the community in the way of "learning" as a designer. If I never get anything in, then I don't get it in. I'm not expecting anything quick to happen, though I have a lot of ideas and I'll do my part on them as quickly as I can

I'm not a map maker nor a great competitor and I will never attend an event like GenCon, nor a real life event due to where I'm situated and my job responsibilities. So, this is how I'd like to participate by designing. I want to be similar to the designers or have customs similar to those that have undergone refinement and are good enough to be part of the canon even if I never quite "get there."
Old January 13th, 2021, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have a thread on here but admittedly I usually go to discord or keep most of my customs to myself because I don't think they'd interest anyone. I've only recently tried to get move involved with the community and this hobby because I would like to improve my process and designs on the whole. Most stuff I've made in the past 10 years has been good enough for me, I wanted to step out and try to improve. I'm open to learning what I need to learn.
You are most welcome to become a more active member of this community. It's nice to see your ambition and enthusiasm. It's also admirable that you are looking for ways to gain feedback and improve as a designer.

But you won't go far toward that goal if you misuse the resources available to you. You shouldn't be posting here if you do so because this workshop is more active than others; this thread was created for the specific purpose of giving feedback on designs that are intending submission to the SoV and are nearly ready to be. This is a service the community provides to help designs get through Yea/Nay gauntlet of SoV and VC. Posting multiple designs in a short timeframe, as well as making swift, sweeping changes to them, suggests otherwise. Please realize that it takes real time and effort to critique someone's custom, so this thread needs to remain focused on it's goal.

Your own customs thread is the best thing you can use for self-improvement. It can be deflating when others don't jump in and comment, but it's a give-and-take relationship. A while back I wrote a Codex article Criticism: Giving and Taking for creators like you that are looking for feedback from the community. Please take a look.

I wrote a number of other Codex articles to assist customs creators as well, such as Designing for SoV Approval.
Old January 13th, 2021, 06:51 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Gonna chime in here to say that I was once an enthusiastic customs creator with an ever-growing catalogue of units to my name and a burning desire to get a unit through the SoV. I was repeatedly frustrated by my inability to get a unit into the SoV, and I'd be lying if I said I never carried a chip on my shoulder over that frustration. I got over my resentment pretty fast, but it was a thing for a hot minute.

Scytale knows what he's talking about. If you want people to give attention to your customs thread, give attention to theirs. It's a real "if you build it he will come" sort of thing.

I highly recommend Scy's articles- read them, read the creations posted by others on this forum (old and new), read the feedback those creations received. It'll improve your game, and it'll improve your mindset. I know it improved mine.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 09:25 PM

Hero89 Woo who?

Deleted.

Last edited by Hero89; January 22nd, 2021 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Did not playtest unit yet. Will resubmit post play test.
Old January 25th, 2021, 11:37 AM

- - - - - - -

WULFING HUNTERS
TUNDRA NOMADS

Frontal Assault - Heroes from Far and Wide (1/4)

The figures used are #001 and #014 from D&D ICEWIND DALE: RIME OF THE FROSTMAIDEN.

CHARACTER BIO:
Spoiler Alert!

CARD TEXT:
Spoiler Alert!

-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received
  • ARKTOS: HUNTER ATTACK ENHANCEMENT
    As Hunters the Wulfing Hunters can can benefit from Arktos' Hunter Attack Enhancement.

Synergy Benefits Offered
  • ARKTOS: HUNTER'S HOWL
    As a Hunter Hero you can activate Arktos using Hunter's Howl.
  • Dünd: HUNTER'S HOWL
    As a Hunter Hero you can activate Dünd using Hunter's Howl.
  • Feral Troll: HUNTER'S HOWL
    As a Hunter Hero you can activate Feral Troll using Hunter's Howl.
  • Master of the Hunt: HUNTER'S HOWL
    As a Hunter Hero you can activate Master of the Hunt using Hunter's Howl.
  • Shadow Hound: HUNTER'S HOWL
    As a Hunter Hero you can activate Shadow Hound using Hunter's Howl.
  • Van Nessing: HUNTER'S HOWL
    As a Hunter Hero you can activate Van Nessing using Hunter's Howl.
  • Himmelskralle: HUNTER'S HOWL
    As a Hunter Hero you can activate Himmelskralle using Hunter's Howl.

This is my last stop on the way to submit to the SoV.

I have over 20 tests with these guys, 14 of which are documented online tests with data recorded in my Heroscaper's blog. They seem to be in a good place and I was able to order the sculpts in to confirm they are indeed the right size and look great alongside our existing scape. I haven't checked availability since I did initially 2 weeks ago but I don't except any major decline.

Most questions and concerns should have an answer in my testing data but if you have any suggestions or see anything strange about the unit that I need to consider and talk about then please let me know!

These guys are in fact the same height as a knight of weston, their DnD bases are just smaller and would need rebasing to reflect their accurate height.

Last edited by Shiftrex; January 25th, 2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old January 25th, 2021, 12:17 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Excited to see these guys getting ready to officially begin the SoV process! One quick change that I think might need to be made?

Quote:
HUNTER'S HOWL
After revealing an Order Marker on this Army Card and taking a turn with the Wulfing Hunters, if at least two Wulfing Hunters that you control are engaged, you may take 1 additional turn with an unengaged squad of Wulfing Hunters or an unengaged Hunter Hero that you control.
Also, as a minor thematic quibble, given their humanoid appearance, I don't really picture these hunters as howling? Maybe "Hunter's Call" or "Thrill of the Hunt"?
Old January 25th, 2021, 12:18 PM

Yup! That's a fair edit. Thanks for the catch on language.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards