Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Notices

View Poll Results: What direction should the AotP Customs Project take?
Integrate AotP! 16 57.14%
Integrate Heroscape! 1 3.57%
Keep AotP Independent 11 39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 5th, 2019, 09:04 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: AotP Needs your help!

Relevant to this topic is this thread.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 6th, 2019, 09:54 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Relevant to this topic is this thread.
Might be nice to say it's only relevant if you want to integrate AotP into Heroscape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old May 6th, 2019, 12:46 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Not even that - it seems to just be using the figures to make HS units. Were it an actual integration of the AotP units and concepts, I'd be more interested.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old April 16th, 2020, 06:05 PM

HeroscapeMaster is surprisingly tart

If you could find the miniatures to scale for a project like this and didn't cut any corners with card graphics you could clean up! Right now Dungeons and Dragons has a Ravnica miniatures set released,and I'm sure they'll release more since WOTC is releasing Theros in June 2020! You own this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyver View Post
The future of the Multiverse rests in your hands...

Introduction:
So it's been on my mind lately to be part of a Project to sustain AotP with balanced, playtested releases similar to those seen in Heroscape-based projects such as C3G. I've seen similar sentiments from other members who wish that such a project existed, and so I decided to create this Opinion thread to gauge interest and to get some feedback on the possible directions of the project.

At least initially, I don't picture the project to be anywhere near the scope or intricacy of other, larger projects like C3G. I imagine the AotP community is not very large at the moment compared to Heroscapers, but I think that there are a lot of people out there with AotP Master sets who would play the game if it had more to offer than it currently does. Arena's greatest downfall, in my opinion, was its lack of support. As a result, the game has a LOT of untapped potential. The Magic: The Gathering (MTG) universe is rich, not only in lore and characters but in locations as well.

The intent is for this to be a Community effort. So the success of it would largely be dependent on the involvement of individual members. Therefore I made this thread to ask you, as a community, for your opinions on what kind of things you would like to see out of a Project like this.

The biggest decision at the moment (besides deciding on a catchy Acronym!) would be to decide the scope and purpose of the project. For example, there have been efforts already to port Heroscape figures into AotP, and vice versa. There are also people who believe that future AotP customs should be designed totally independently from Heroscape. I've decided to split these choices into a few major groups. Here's the explanation for each one:

Option 1: Integrate AotP
With the relatively small list of released figures for AotP, it would not be infeasible to import all current figures into the Heroscape format. After all, they are already 90% similar. Generals could be assigned for each unit, or they could simply be grouped by MTG color. @wriggz shared some beautiful custom templates that provide a really good representation of what the latter option could look like:
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=52378

(Credit to @wriggz )

In taking this route, AotP would essentially become an MTG Expansion to Heroscape. Like Superscape, it could be recommended to be played separately, but would otherwise be fully integrated into the same 'network' as other formats such as Classic 'Scape customs and Superscape customs. (Unique aspects of the game could still be retained and integrated, such as the Spell cards). Future MTG customs would be released as part of this Heroscape/AotP hybrid format.

The advantage to this approach is that the player-bases would be more unified. Terminologies would also be altered to proper Heroscape wording, making integrated games much easier than they currently are. For example, Spell cards would be made clear as to what they can and can't target, and may even be carefully rebalanced to reflect their expanded usability.

The primary disadvantage is that we lose the accessibility of the original game as an independent entity. Players who are solely interested in AotP would have to familiarize themselves with Heroscape terminologies and mechanics (and terrain, which is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain) in order to benefit from the custom work being created. In addition, balancing would prove more difficult if designers had to account for the interactions between future AotP customs and other mainstream custom releases.

Option 2: Integrate Heroscape
This is essentially the opposite approach from the first. The idea would be to take as many Classic (and perhaps Custom?) Heroscape figures as possible and integrate them into Arena of the Planeswalkers. These could either be simple ports where only slight modifications are made and colors are assigned to them, or the creatures/characters could be renamed and rethemed to fit in with the MTG Lore. @quozl begun such a project a few years ago, and you can read more about it here:
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=53239

(Credit to @quozl )

If the community decides that this is the way to go, we could focus our efforts on porting RotV figures first, then continuing on to include all official HS figures. It would be a larger undertaking than Option 1, but still doable. A clear advantage to this approach is that there is a wealth of already-established units to convert, and many AotP players already own the miniatures. Creating new names, alignments, mechanics and themes for established miniatures could be a fun and interesting challenge.

A disadvantage to this approach is that some players may feel a lack of excitement over the reusing of classic miniatures, especially if the cards are simple ports of the originals. In the case of rethemed miniatures, some people may have the idea of the original characters so ingrained in their heads that they have a hard time suspending disbelief in order to see the same miniatures under a different light. Repaints / figure modifications may be a remedy for this effect, but that would then require more work on the part of the individual player.

Option 3: Keep AotP Independent
This option basically speaks for itself. The idea would be to allow AotP to grow as an independent game with its own terminologies, card formats and balancing as originally intended by the designers. An exception might be made when it comes to Terrain, as Heroscape terrain is popular enough and works well enough with the core AotP game that it could be considered a valid blending of the two. But the main idea is still to stay as true to the game as possible.

The advantage here is that designers can narrow their focus on the game as it currently exists, without having to worry about rebalancing card effects, spell cards, or altering wording from one type of game to another. New cards would be balanced and evaluated based solely off of the already released content, without any consideration of possible interactions with Superheros or other Custom or Official Heroscape content.

The disadvantage to this approach is that blending units from the two games may be harder for those who want to do it. Strange or broken interactions between spell cards or character abilities are bound to occur when mixing games and, due to the lack of any 'official' rulings on the matter, would be up to the individual player to resolve.

House rules can be utilized as a fix for this, such as the "Mixed Play" Rules thought up by @TREX which you can see here:
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=53350

(Credit to @TREX )

These type of rules have been attempted in various ways, and are usually quite playable. However, they suffer from the simple limitation that the two games are not designed to work in exact conjunction. Several features have to be cut or reduced, such as restricting the use of specific spell cards (like Enchantments). Some rulesets go further than others, and the list of rulings and exceptions can get quite complicated, with reference charts often having to be used to remember the differences. So while it is doable, it is not necessarily optimal.

Concluding Thoughts:
So as you can see, each direction comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. In my eyes, they are all noble undertakings, and any one of them would be worth the potential challenges. However, when it comes to this project, there really needs to exist a specific vision for what we want future custom AotP to be. We are at a crossroads, and it is up to the community to decide.

That being said, I am aware that there may be other options besides the ones I listed, or other Advantages/Disadvantages that I neglected to mention. Feel free to share your thoughts, concerns, and/or support below! I look forward to hearing what the community has to say.

Some people who have been previously part of the discussion: @TREX , @IAmBatman , @Sir Yeshua , @Astroking112 , @capsocrates , @Tiranx , @TheTravelingScaper
Old April 16th, 2020, 06:18 PM

Skyver knows what's in an order marker Skyver knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroscapeMaster View Post
If you could find the miniatures to scale for a project like this and didn't cut any corners with card graphics you could clean up! Right now Dungeons and Dragons has a Ravnica miniatures set released,and I'm sure they'll release more since WOTC is releasing Theros in June 2020! You own this!
Since posting this thread essentially two projects have been started: The AotV project, and my own personal Ravnica customs.

The AotV (Arena of the Valkyrie's) project aims to make the existing AotP miniatures and components playable in Heroscape by integrating them into the existing Lore and creating new Army cards for them that align with the generals of the Heroscape universe.

My own personal project is to create high-quality custom expansions to the original AotP game using the WOTC miniatures you mentioned for D&D as well as existing MTG art & lore.

You can check out my first (WIP) expansion here:
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=55766

I've only released one set so far, but I have plans to eventually make the entire line of Ravnica miniatures playable in AotP. Progress has been slow lately however. I hadn't considered that a new line of Theros miniatures could be on its way, but if so that would be very exciting news! I will definitely keep my eye on that.

Either way, welcome to the forums! It's always nice to have more people contributing feedback.
Old April 22nd, 2020, 12:18 PM

I see you are well on your way to adding to the AOTP multiverse. You've got much more skill than I with graphic arts. Tell me though, is it possible to get bases like those for official Heroscape figures. I noticed CGV uses bases very similar to those in classic Heroscape.
Old November 8th, 2021, 01:00 PM

Ragiggman knows what's in an order marker Ragiggman knows what's in an order marker

Hi, I have taken an extreme variant of the integrate route. I convert the AotP units by simply copying stats from existing Heroscape units.

The project is aimed at those like me who own the base game, but simply cannot afford to collect genuine Heroscape figurines, and have not got a 3D printer either. With my "Ersatz Armies" army cards, the inexpensive AotP figurines are playable right out the box.

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...=ersatz+armies
Old April 5th, 2022, 05:11 PM

Personally, I have expanded AOTP using Magic cards for the customs. Can you mix AOTP with Heroscape and C3G? Yes but AOTP stands much better on its own. I have over a hundred new custom AOTP minis, all play tested and pretty balanced but,' if you ever played Magic the Gathering there are infinite possibilities to build a A class army with the AOTP customs. I made uncommon cards unique heros, and a slew of common heros and squads. I would post what I've done but I've done so much it seems an impossible task.
Old April 5th, 2022, 05:19 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroscapeMaster View Post
Personally, I have expanded AOTP using Magic cards for the customs. Can you mix AOTP with Heroscape and C3G? Yes but AOTP stands much better on its own. I have over a hundred new custom AOTP minis, all play tested and pretty balanced but,' if you ever played Magic the Gathering there are infinite possibilities to build a A class army with the AOTP customs. I made uncommon cards unique heros, and a slew of common heros and squads. I would post what I've done but I've done so much it seems an impossible task.
Zip everything up and upload the zip file somewhere. I'd love to take a look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender