Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old November 8th, 2007, 11:28 AM

lhhgbh has disabled reputation
Painting stone?

I like some of these customs, very sweet. One of my favs is the stone ruins, but of course there is no tutorial on that one. I can tell that the green flower blocks were used and I am guessing they were carved out to look like bricks. My main concern is with the painting. How do you get the detail to come out. I see where on something similar a black base was painted and then shades of gray. Are there any step by step tutorials for making something look detailed with the cracks and all? I am very interested in experimenting here and would like as much advice/help as I can get. Thanks.

I appreciate the break in spending on HS pieces, but come on already!
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I'm guessing your talking about my ruins . . .

The painting method is called dry-brushing. Basically you start with the darkest color as a base. In the case of the ruined wall I used black. Paint the entire piece solid black. The next color will be dry-brushed on and should be a lighter shade than the base, like dark grey. Dry-brushing is done by wiping most of the paint off your brush before you start painting. You only want a little bit of paint on the brush. Lightly run the brush over the surface and only the higher areas will hold the paint. The recesses will stay black. The next color should be an even lighter shade and painted on even lighter. And finally the last color should be light, almost white, and painted on VERY lightly so as to only highlight the top most edges and texture.

The only way to show dimension is to have both highlights and shadows.

All of this is dependent on the surface texture of the item you are painting. If you are painting something smooth, dry-brushing will do nothing. So on my ruins, I made sure there was texture by adding sand to the base coat of paint. I also carved the foam with cracks and stuff to shoe as much texture as possible.

There are TONS of tutorials on this board as well as all over the internet. I'm sure you can find something that will show you.

Now, get out there and make something!!

(and then post it here!)
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:43 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
ooops, double post
Old November 8th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudulfr Shieldcrusher
I'm guessing your talking about my ruins . . .

The painting method is called dry-brushing. Basically you start with the darkest color as a base. In the case of the ruined wall I used black. Paint the entire piece solid black. The next color will be dry-brushed on and should be a lighter shade than the base, like dark grey. Dry-brushing is done by wiping most of the paint off your brush before you start painting. You only want a little bit of paint on the brush. Lightly run the brush over the surface and only the higher areas will hold the paint. The recesses will stay black. The next color should be an even lighter shade and painted on even lighter. And finally the last color should be light, almost white, and painted on VERY lightly so as to only highlight the top most edges and texture.

The only way to show dimension is to have both highlights and shadows.

All of this is dependent on the surface texture of the item you are painting. If you are painting something smooth, dry-brushing will do nothing. So on my ruins, I made sure there was texture by adding sand to the base coat of paint. I also carved the foam with cracks and stuff to shoe as much texture as possible.

There are TONS of tutorials on this board as well as all over the internet. I'm sure you can find something that will show you.

Now, get out there and make something!!

(and then post it here!)
That is a good place to start and exactly what i was looking for. I am assuming acrylic paints will work fine for this? Thats what I have used in the past for other projects.

And yes I was referring to your ruins. I can see possibilities with those as I am sure you have yourself. Thanks again.

Old November 8th, 2007, 01:51 PM

I use Ceramacoat paints from Michaels.
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:01 PM

sweet.. appreciate your help and the fast replies.. now back to work....

Old November 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhhgbh
now back to work....
yeah, that
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:09 PM

Alrighty I bought the stuff. Started a similar small ruin. Very cool by the way, its not as hard as I thought, although I have yet to finish painting it. Anyhoo my next question is the glue to stick it to the hexes. I read on another post to buy some modeling glue, I believe. Would this be the same as the stuff I can find in the modeling section at Walmart. I have a closer Wally World than hobbyland. Thanks and I will post the pics of my little ruin once I am finished. Hopefully in time for our Saturday Night Heroscape match.

Old November 9th, 2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhhgbh
Alrighty I bought the stuff. Started a similar small ruin. Very cool by the way, its not as hard as I thought, although I have yet to finish painting it. Anyhoo my next question is the glue to stick it to the hexes. I read on another post to buy some modeling glue, I believe. Would this be the same as the stuff I can find in the modeling section at Walmart. I have a closer Wally World than hobbyland. Thanks and I will post the pics of my little ruin once I am finished. Hopefully in time for our Saturday Night Heroscape match.
I use Aleene's Tacky Glue.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles