Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV
TV Not Heroscape-related.

Old June 16th, 2008, 07:03 PM

heroscaper2.0 has disabled reputation
Re: Sports: NBA

Does anyone actually believe that the Celtics lost game 5 so that they could get more money and win the trophy in Boston? I don't know, but I really hope lakers force game 7.
Old June 16th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2.0 View Post
Does anyone actually believe that the Celtics lost game 5 so that they could get more money and win the trophy in Boston? I don't know, but I really hope lakers force game 7.
I really can't say that the thought ever crossed my mind.

If I were the Boston Celtics, I'd want to finish the Lakers as soon as I had the chance. Basketball is a game of, among other things, runs and stalls. Both of these teams are susceptible to the extreme ends of each of these factors for different reasons based on the their individual rosters. As a team looking to close another team out, you don't lose a game on purpose to test these. The teams could get back to Boston, and for whatever reason, the Lakers suddenly regain their true mojo and are just amazing, and Paul Pierce comes down on his knee wrong and REALLY jacks it up. Lakers in 7.

Something else to consider is this: you want to give Kobe Bryant the LEAST amount of chances to win games. The last two games he has been abysmal in the second half. If Bryant were able to hit shots just as he did in the first half of the last two games, the Lakers win game 4, and game 5 wouldn't have been such a nail biter. Yes, I credit the Celtics defense for stopping him a bit. However, their defense is not the only thing slowing him down. I don't know what the other thing is, be it fatigue or whatever. But there have been several open shots that he just clangs in the third and fourth quarters.

I believe Michael Wilbon said it best last night: "You're a fool if you keep giving Kobe Bryant chances to beat you, because he will. It becomes like, how many chances are you going to give Tiger Woods to make a putt on 18?"

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!

Wow... Bill Simmons of ESPN pretty much hates Los Angeles. Yeah, I can see a little respect given to the Lakers. But his disdain for that team, and his obsessing love of Boston is pretty ridiculous. I guess if you have a national forum such as ESPN.com, you can take advantage of such and spout poetic about your loyalties. However some of what he says is a bit harsh.

Fans will be fans, I guess. That said, he does list a few factors that could lead to LA taking this one from the Celts tonight in game 6. I'm listing them here to come back later this evening (should LA win) and see if any of them ring true:

Quote:
Here are six ways the Lakers could steal Game 6:

1. If they avoid falling behind in the first five minutes and send the crowd into "We can smell it!" mode.

2. If Gasol attacks KG on the low post and gets him into foul trouble like he did in Game 5.

3. If one of the Farmar/Fisher/Vujacic group catches fire and makes some 3-pointers.

4. If they pressure House full-court and attack him on the offensive end like they did in Game 5, forcing Boston to play Cassell or an injured Rondo.

5. If they send both guys with Pierce on the KG/Pierce high screen and make KG shoot 20-footers.

6. If Kobe plays like the 2008 MVP.
This could be a really good game. And I hope it is, should the Lakers win or lose. If it's not, I'm hoping for a 30 point rout by the Lakers!

Hey, fans will be fans.

Old June 17th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!

There's part of me that wonders why Bill Simmons isn't coaching or looking for an NBA exec job (he did make that run to be the Bucks' GM not too long ago)... Hopefully we'll see LA do the almost-impossible and win in Boston. Like hextr1p said, I'm hoping for a good game no matter what, but go Lakers!
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:50 PM

DarkBladeCB is surprisingly tart

I want the Lakers to win because... well... I'm in denial that there are, at most, two more games of basketball left this season. I'm gonna miss it. =(

"Comics are a wellspring of imagination; comics can tell stories cheaply that other mediums cannot express. Today it costs $100 million to do special effects on film in 'Fantastic Four' that Jack Kirby could create 40 years ago with a pencil."
-Grant Morrison, at the New Yorker Festival
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:25 PM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

I'm also really looking forward to game 6 tonight. I did not have a good feeling about game 5. To be honest I was surprised it was as close as it was. Celtic's really need to get off to a good start and play from ahead instead of constantly trying to come from behind. It cannot be easy to have to come back from some of the deficits that they have had to deal with in the last 2 games.
I have to be completely honest, as a Boston sports fan, I love Bill Simmons. I know, for a non Boston fan he probably is an irritatation, But I think he's great.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I was asked to teach some cub scouts how to play volleyball, so I missed the game. I got home and forgot that it was on. I make a run to the store to get some last minute groceries before the store closes, and I remember that it was on. I hit the radio station that was carrying the game and they are just saying the score at about the 7 minute mark in the 4th. I didn't hear who had what score, but the cheering clued me in immediately. Holy crap, did the Lakers not even show up?

Well, congrats to the Celtics. It's good to see Garnet get a ring. Isn't this the first time he's got out of the first round in the playoffs?
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:54 AM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
I was asked to teach some cub scouts how to play volleyball, so I missed the game. I got home and forgot that it was on. I make a run to the store to get some last minute groceries before the store closes, and I remember that it was on. I hit the radio station that was carrying the game and they are just saying the score at about the 7 minute mark in the 4th. I didn't hear who had what score, but the cheering clued me in immediately. Holy crap, did the Lakers not even show up?

Well, congrats to the Celtics. It's good to see Garnet get a ring. Isn't this the first time he's got out of the first round in the playoffs?
No, the 'Wolves lost in the Conference Finals one year to, I think, the Lakers.

Man, this one was over in the second quarter. Garnett and Pierce deserved one, as did some other guys in that club.
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Resident Artist

Yeah, the Lakers did NOT show up after the first 5 minutes of the game. And really, it was only Kobe during those first 5 minutes.

Defense was disgusting for the Lakers. Just non-existant. The Lakers seriously NEVER had a chance this whole game. The Celtics played amazing. Lakers played like garbage.

Truthfully, I stopped watching after mid-way through the 3rd quarter. Only came back to catch the end and watch some of the celebration. I'm happy for KG and Pierce. I really don't care a lot for Ray-Ray. He's an amazing shooter, but I'm not a fan of his.

So yes, congrats to the Celts. But next year, Lakers beat the Celts during the regular season, and in the finals should they meet... considering the Lakers play with their WHOLE roster. And I'm not trying to bash Boston. But there is no way they hang with Bynum in the middle, Pau at his TRUE position of forward, Odom at forward, and Kobe and Fish in the back, with the bench more cohesive than ever. That, and they get RID of Vlad Rad, or pray he plays better coming off the bench, because he was pretty much non-existent through out the post season.

Old June 18th, 2008, 01:07 AM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
4. If they pressure House full-court and attack him on the offensive end like they did in Game 5, forcing Boston to play Cassell or an injured Rondo.
That injured Rondo caught fire tonight, what a game. I should have made that bet with my cousin, darn it!!!

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Resident Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Marro View Post
Quote:
That injured Rondo caught fire tonight, what a game. I should have made that bet with my cousin, darn it!!!
Phil Jackson mentioned that Rondo was one of the true stars out there tonight, causing as many turn overs as he did. He was everywhere. No sigh of any ankle ailments whatsoever.

Old June 18th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Resident Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Marro View Post
Quote:
Phil Jackson mentioned that Rondo was one of the true stars out there tonight, causing as many turn overs as he did. He was everywhere. No sigh of any ankle ailments whatsoever.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV