Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:05 PM

Erasmas Woo who?
What's in Your Utility Belt?

I was just wondering, after having done a little bit of modding myself, what tools everyone uses.

Personally, I used a set of big nail-clippers, a small nail file, two sets of needle-nose pliers (one straight, one bent), super glue, bonding putty, and an exacto knife. As of right now, I am using both a pair of tin snips and/or a very small hacksaw to do larger cuts but am unhappy with these. They tend to leave the edges a little "mangled" looking and I's be happier with a cleaner cut. If anyone has suggestions as to what they use, I would love to hear them!

So, what all do you carry in your mod "kit"?

Erasmas' Wonderful World of Customs!
God save the 4th!!!

Xbox Live Account:
o Erasmas o
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Resident Artist & Master Custom Creator

CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker
An Exacto Knife, Greenstuff, glue, paint, and my paint brushes from college.

My mind is the Pink Zippo that sits on top of a pack of Camel Wides.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:33 PM

King's Knight knows what's in an order marker King's Knight knows what's in an order marker
Exacto knife, cheap paint brushes, paint, sissors, super and elmer's glue, scraps from previously modded figures, toothpicks and fake finger nails (it was kinda wierd buying these...)

Oh and a matte spray for a finish on customs...
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:00 PM

Erasmas Woo who?
Okay... I gotta ask about the fake fingernails... what are those for? Please tell us that it's Heroscape-related. LOL
Do you both use the exacto knife to make large cuts, such as through a torso, etc? I tried that, but exactos don't make cuts well when just pushed straight down... nor do they seem to work with a sawing action either.
I also keep paints and brushes, and pieces from other figures. You never know when a sword blade or severed leg may come in handy!

Erasmas' Wonderful World of Customs!
God save the 4th!!!

Xbox Live Account:
o Erasmas o
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:22 PM

King's Knight knows what's in an order marker King's Knight knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmas
Okay... I gotta ask about the fake fingernails... what are those for? Please tell us that it's Heroscape-related. LOL
Do you both use the exacto knife to make large cuts, such as through a torso, etc? I tried that, but exactos don't make cuts will when just pushed straight down... nor do they seem to work with a sawing action either.
I also keep paints and brushes, and pieces from other figures. You never know when a sword blade or severed leg may come in handy!
At this point, yes the exacto knife is for any type of cutting I need to do (and some I don't, like fingers...)

As to the finger nails... yes those are for heroscape customs at this point I've only needed one and that was to make a cresent moon thing for a samurai-looking figure. (See my customs thread...)
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:54 PM

KevHead has disabled reputation
Your exacto blade needs to be sharp. iF your cutting through a large figs torso try to use a rocking motion not a sawing motion. And go slow.These figs are too small for even a small hacksaw (unless you have a jewlers saw) and the plastic although tough is too soft for heavy tools. I've not taken the Dremel to them but I am sure they will melt pretty quick.

Superglue bonds it just great. Also I found that using those small foam grips for pens work good for some exacto's too.

Here's my Zetts I modded. The only original is the guy in the back each has had the guns altered, waists changed and the legs modded to make them appear to be walking.

Keep your fingers away from the blade!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:12 PM
The Orc Master

Browncoat is surprisingly tart
Re: What's in Your Utility Belt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmas
I was just wondering, after having done a little bit of modding myself, what tools everyone uses.

So, what all do you carry in your mod "kit"?
Exacto knife kit. 3 handles, and a variety of blade shapes and sizes.
3 different types of tweezers.
Zap-A-Gap liquid CA...superglue from hell.
Solvaset decal setting solution.
4 different cutters from Snap-On @ about $40 each.
A pair of needlenose pliers with smooth tips, also $40 from Snap-On.
Pin vise. This holds drill bits from #60-80 (very very small).
17 paint brushes.
53 bottles of paint.
Mini air compressor, air brush w/ accessories.

To be fair, I'm also an N scale model railroader. These tools are what I use for building those models. It's very detailed work, and everything is tiny!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:17 PM

paintu2 has disabled reputation
wow

wow you guys got it down to an art don't you. I'm new at this i alway use- brut force,a butter knife and crazy glue :P
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:20 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
I use several different exacto knives, a madel knife, one use glue packs, a bunch of different paints nad every size of paint brush imaginable. And that's just for figures. I have a tackle box for all of my ccustom stuff.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:53 PM

MegadeV knows what's in an order marker MegadeV knows what's in an order marker
I use an exacto or wire snippers for most work, but will bust out the small hacksaw for cuts through thick parts (like removing Mimring heads for making Hydras and such). I'm thinking about picking up a Dremel, but I'm not sure if it's worth the expense (that could be a few more forest packs after all).

9+ RotV - 7 SotM - 6 FotAk - 6 RttFF - 3 VW - 3 TT - 3 TJ - 1 Marvel - 3+ of each common - playing since Dec '05

Megadev's Repaints and Customs
BattletechScape
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:37 PM

Kuprin has disabled reputation
Knives, clippers, vise, drills, superglue, Kneadatite putty, white glue, plastic cement (haven't seen if it'll craze this stuff or not yet), dremel, straight files, rifflers, sanding stuff, all kinds of tools.

I'm a big miniatures modelling and converting geek, and I intend to do a LOT of modding.

Games are in my blood, and in my mind. It's just what I do.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards