Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G Project > C3G Library
C3G Library This area collects all the released designs. Feel free to post any figure specific questions in their individual books.

Old July 24th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Spell Rules

How about something like 'can only be negated by a MD figure'?
Old July 24th, 2017, 12:55 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viegon View Post
That seems like an odd ruling to me. If Doc Fate gets negated by Zatanna, seems like the Vapors of Valtorr he cast that round should also be negated.
I don't see the issue there V. If Fate cast a successfully cast a spell on OM1, and then on OM2 Zatanna negates Fate she is negating all future uses of his powers rather than past uses of his powers. Once the spell is cast Fate is not recasting the spell over and over again for the entire round, it is a fire and forget process where you cast the spell and then the effects play out on their own with no further input from the caster.

I think Ronin's suggested update would work.
Old July 24th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Power abusing superplaytester

Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death!

Eh, I think the theme is a lot more debatable than that. Some spells are a one-and-done thing, sure, but not all. It's not at all uncommon for a magic user to have to maintain concentration or continue a chant or what have you for the spell to stay in effect; disrupting that process would immediately cancel the spell.

Point being, the theme can be argued either way, as both are accurate, but ruling that spells are exempt from negation is an additional complexity to the rules (a minor one, but an odd one, in my opinion).

My ; I'm fine with the no negation ruling, I just prefer the simpler ruling.

C3G: Taking Superheroes to a Whole New Level!
C3V: The Legacy of Classic 'Scape!
Viegon & Family's Classic Customs, Maps, and Battlefield Videos.

Enjoy App Games? Try A Day in the Life of Atlas!
Old July 24th, 2017, 05:41 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viegon View Post
Eh, I think the theme is a lot more debatable than that. Some spells are a one-and-done thing, sure, but not all. It's not at all uncommon for a magic user to have to maintain concentration or continue a chant or what have you for the spell to stay in effect; disrupting that process would immediately cancel the spell.

Point being, the theme can be argued either way, as both are accurate, but ruling that spells are exempt from negation is an additional complexity to the rules (a minor one, but an odd one, in my opinion).

My ; I'm fine with the no negation ruling, I just prefer the simpler ruling.

I also slightly prefer letting them be negated. Not a deal maker or breaker, though.
Old July 24th, 2017, 09:00 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

See, I don't really picture spells as being part of the card, though. Like, if you negate Scarecrow after he's thrown his Fear Gas, the Glyph doesn't go away - just how he interacts with it. Same here. The spell and it's effects remain, but the caster just can't do anything further. The only exception is the special attack spells, which specifically put a power on the card of the caster.

But that's all from memory from me so maybe the rules don't reflect my understanding at all.
Old August 29th, 2017, 10:43 AM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

They're all putting powers on the card of the caster, not just the SA ones.

I think this is the last little bit of business that really needs to be sorted out pre-release (besides the last few spells making it across the finish line).
Old August 29th, 2017, 10:58 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I just noticed this discussion. I really don't think you need a special ruling about negation. Rulings about the timing of negation already exist in classic 'scape.

For example, if Morsbane negates Estivara after she hits her Cloud of Darkness roll, she continues to have Cloud of Darkness active until the player controlling Estivara reveals their next Order Marker. This is because Cloud of Darkness is a triggered ability (triggered by the roll, in this case), and once the trigger hits the effects stand. Estivara no longer has the ability going forward, but the effects from when she last used it remain.

By contrast, something like Raelin's aura is an "always-on" ability (i.e. not triggered), so if she is negated the power turns off immediately. This is true whether or not Raelin has friendly figures within 4 spaces; the ability is always there whether or not it is being used.

Currently all spells are "triggered"; they are triggered by casting them. As such, they are not negated by the standard rules of Heroscape. If we ever created a spell that had a permanent effect that should be negatable (e.g. magic armor that added 1 defense or something) then it would be wise to phrase it as "the caster gains the following Special Ability: [yadda yadda]" so that it's clearly vulnerable to negation.

EDIT: the post where R˙chean explained this. AFAIK it's the only place where this ruling was ever (semi-)officially discussed.

Last edited by dok; August 29th, 2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old August 29th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Power abusing superplaytester

Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death! Viegon is hot lava death!

I like that analysis and ruling, dok.

C3G: Taking Superheroes to a Whole New Level!
C3V: The Legacy of Classic 'Scape!
Viegon & Family's Classic Customs, Maps, and Battlefield Videos.

Enjoy App Games? Try A Day in the Life of Atlas!
Old August 29th, 2017, 11:13 AM
Symbiotic

Alright, works for me. Might still be worth FAQing if only because spells are a new thing? Sounds like we're good, though.
Old August 29th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Cool.
Thanks dok.
Grats on the GC victories.
Old August 29th, 2017, 03:49 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Thanks for the insight Dok.
Old August 29th, 2017, 06:04 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Do I need to update anything here?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G Project > C3G Library