Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old January 29th, 2010, 04:28 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Corporation to run for congress

Murray Hill Inc to run for Congress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Release
Supreme Court Ruling Spurs Corporation Run for Congress
First Test of “Corporate Personhood” In Politics
Following the recent Supreme Court ruling in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission to allow unlimited corporate funding of federal campaigns, Murray Hill Inc. today announced it was filing to run for U.S. Congress and released its first campaign video on www.youtube.com/user/murrayhillcongress
“Until now,” Murray Hill Inc. said in a statement, “corporate interests had to rely on campaign contributions and influence peddling to achieve their goals in Washington. But thanks to an enlightened Supreme Court, now we can eliminate the middle-man and run for office ourselves.”
Murray Hill Inc. is believed to be the first “corporate person” to exercise its constitutional right to run for office. As Supreme Court observer Lyle Denniston wrote in his SCOTUSblog, “If anything, the decision in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission conferred new dignity on corporate “persons,” treating them — under the First Amendment free-speech clause — as the equal of human beings.”
Murray Hill Inc. agrees. “The strength of America,” Murray Hill Inc. says, “is in the boardrooms, country clubs and Lear jets of America’s great corporations. We’re saying to Wal-Mart, AIG and Pfizer, if not you, who? If not now, when?”
Murray Hill Inc. plans on spending “top dollar” to protect its investment. “It’s our democracy,” Murray Hill Inc. says, “We bought it, we paid for it, and we’re going to keep it.”
Murray Hill Inc., a diversifying corporation in the Washington, D.C. area, has long held an interest in politics and sees corporate candidacy as an emerging new market.
The campaign’s designated human, Eric Hensal, will help the corporation conform to antiquated “human only” procedures and sign the necessary voter registration and candidacy paperwork. Hensal is excited by this new opportunity. “We want to get in on the ground floor of the democracy market before the whole store is bought by China.”
Murray Hill Inc. plans on filing to run in the Republican primary in Maryland’s 8th Congressional District. Campaign Manager William Klein promises an aggressive, historic campaign that “puts people second” or even third.
“The business of America is business, as we all know,” Klein says. “But now, it’s the business of democracy too.” Klein plans to use automated robo-calls, “Astroturf” lobbying and computer-generated avatars to get out the vote.
Murray Hill Inc. is launching the campaign with a website, Facebook page and YouTube video.
Spoiler Alert!

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old January 29th, 2010, 04:43 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Corporation to run for congress

Love it! Let's see that vile Obamanation take our freedom to buy and election.

Reminds me a lot of the plot to The Phantom Menace.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:02 PM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

Hey, it couldn't be any worse than the clowns we already have in congress (on both sides I might add).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Buy stock in Congress. If you own 51% of the corporation, that seat is as good as yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:42 AM

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The chair recognizes the honorable senators from the Trade Federation and the Banking Clan.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:55 AM
C3G Hero

whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcurse View Post
Reminds me a lot of the plot to The Phantom Menace.
The Phantom Menace had a plot?!?

The best Phantom Menace review has some NSFW language...
Old January 30th, 2010, 11:09 AM

And a great one at that. People are too mired doen in hating that Lucas didn't make their movie to see the good points in TPM. It's actually a good little film.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old January 30th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
And a great one at that. People are too mired doen in hating that Lucas didn't make their movie to see the good points in TPM. It's actually a good little film.
Yes, who can forget the Midiclorians, It's not a mystical power, it's bacteria.

Or non stop Jar-Jar - issa people gonna die! (South Park called that one awesomely).

Or whiny Anakin super child who built C3P0?

Or the awesomely retarded and stupid droid army. Man, can't get enough of that Roger, Roger routine. Man, who needs scary enemies when we can have stupid aliens speaking stereotypical Chinese accents and an army of klutzy robots. Best Movie Ever!!!!

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old January 30th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
You really need to watch the review in the post above yours. It really thoroughly dissects what is wrong with Episode I. It only takes 70 minutes to cover pretty much everything.
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:50 PM

Well, let’s see.

From wiki:

Quote:
In literature, a plot is all the events in a story particularly rendered towards the achievement of some particular artistic or emotional effect. In other words, it's what mostly happened in the story or novel or what the story's general theme is based on, such as the mood, characters, setting, and conflicts occurring in a story.
TPM has a sequence of events that leads to a clearly defined purpose, which varies depending on the characters (Sith want to take control of the governemnt, the Jedi want to defend the peoples of Naboo and restore order, the Trade Federation want to increase their wealth). The movie possesses a theme, that of duality, and while it’s true that it may be a bit in your face if you’re a sophisticated movie watcher, the theme of Duality and symbiosis is ever present in the film.
Quote:
In "The Seven Basic Plots by Christopher Booker, he explained that in literature there are 7 different plots that are reproduced over and over again, with our without knowing it.
1. Overcoming the monster -- defeating some force which threatens... e.g. most Hollywood movies; Star Wars, James Bond.
2. The Quest -- typically a group setoff in search of something and (usually) find it. e.g. Watership Down, Pilgrim's Progress.
3. Journey and Return -- the hero journeys away from home to somewhere different and finally comes back having experienced something and maybe changed for the better. e.g. Wizard of Oz, Gullivers Travels.
4. Comedy - not neccesarily a funny plot. Some kind of misunderstanding or ignorance is created that keeps parties apart which is resolved towards the end bringing them back together. e.g. Bridget Jones Diary, War and Peace.
5. Tragedy - Someone is tempted in some way, vanity, greed etc and becomes increasingly desperate or trapped by their actions until at a climax they usually die. Unless it's a Hollywood movie, when they escape to a happy ending. e.g. Devils' Advocate, Hamlet.
6. Rebirth - hero is captured or oppressed and seems to be in a state of living death until it seems all is lost when miraculously they are freed. e.g. Snow White.
7. Rags to Riches (Cinderella story) - self explanatory really. e.g. Cinderella & derivatives (all 27,000 of them)!!!
TPM falls mostly under #1, but includes elements of The Quest and Comedy, with Jar Jar finding reconciliation with his people and even achieving an important status in society through farcical and slapstick comedy. The monster plot is evident and the quest a bit less, but present in the finding and retrieval of the vergence in the Force (Anakin).
Quote:
Plot is often designed with a narrative structure, storyline or story arc, that includes exposition, conflict, rising action and climax, followed by a falling action and resolution.
TPM goes through the entire cycle.
Quote:
Exposition
Exposition is the beginning of the plot usually concerned with introducing characters and setting. These elements may be largely presented at the beginning of the story, or occur as a sort of incidental description throughout. Exposition may be handled in a variety of ways—perhaps a character or a set of characters explain the elements of the plot through dialogue or thought, or perhaps media such as newspaper clippings, and diaries. In the case of film, an analogous usage of television, discovered video tape, or documentary may be used.
The first act of TPM is on of the most rousing starts in film action history. The characters are well presented and defined and even some solid comedic moments are obtained. The Jedizillas are a glory to behold and Neeson epitomizes what a Jedi should be. Up until the close of act I, the “You were right about one thing Master” bit, the movie is flawless.
Quote:
Conflict
Conflict is a clash between two or more opposing groups, around which the plot revolves. This can take a number of basic forms, where the character may have to face themselves, another person, nature, society, a machine, or even the supernatural. The conflict, along with the exposition, often defines the genre of the story. A story's conflict may be a hybrid of these, or many concurrent conflicts: for example, the protagonist may struggle with their own thoughts while fighting someone else, or battle the nature of disease while trying to change society.
Well, there is a conflict, a multifaceted one too. Where the OT is very Black and white, TPM presents you a more complex view of the world and ambition, shades of grey if you will. No one is truly evil, nor good, and yet the conflict is clearly defined, a feat not easily achieved. The Sith want control and attempt it through a phantom plot, using the greedy Neimodians to reach that goal, while the Jedi spend their time trying to stop them. But there’s much more, the conflict with Anakin, setting him free and achieving acceptance, the conflict of the Naboo and Gungan races, the conflict in the senate between compassion and politics, the conflict between nature and technology, Jedi vs Sith, a young ruler’s credibility, on and on. There are many conflicts that need to be resolved here.
Quote:
Climax
The climax is the high point of the story, where a culmination of events create the peak of the conflict. The climax usually features the most conflict and struggle, and usually reveals any secrets or missing points in the story. Alternatively, an anti-climax may occur, in which an expectedly difficult event is revealed to be incredibly easy or of paltry importance. Critics may also label the falling action as an anti-climax, or anti-climactic. The climax isn't always the first important scene in a story. In many stories, it is the last sentence, with no successive falling action or resolution.
Pure Star Wars here. The three front battle is a perfectly timed poem of action and music. Some may find it derivative, I find it a perfect resonance of events to come. A great start to mounting action. Not only that, it frames the inability of the senate to protect its member planets, a plot device that sets up the next movie and one of its major conflicts, that of the lack of armed forces.
Quote:
Falling action
The falling action is the part of a story following the climax. This part of the story shows the result of the climax, and its effects on the characters, setting, and proceeding events. Critics may label a story with falling action as the anti-climax or anti-climactic if they feel that the falling action takes away from the power of the climax.
Poignant farewell to Jinn and a eerie foreboding to Anakin’s future.
Quote:
Resolution
Etymologically, the French word dénouement is derived from the Old French word denoer, "to untie", and from nodus, Latin for "knot". In fiction, a dénouement consists of a series of events that follow the climax, and thus serves as the conclusion of the story. Conflicts are resolved, creating normality for the characters and a sense of catharsis, or release of tension and anxiety, for the reader. Simply put, dénouement is the unraveling or untying of the complexities of a plot. Be aware that not all stories have a resolution.
My favorite part of TPM: THE BAD GUYS WIN! Heck, the bad guys win in every movie of the prequels, and I love that. Every “hero victory” is pyrrhic and comes at a great price, loss of freedom, death, and separation of loved ones. Even the celebration music at the end is the Emperor’s march from the OT sped up. Every time I watch it, I want to scream, STOP celebrating you fools, you’ve fallen into his hands! Fun, fun.

So, that’s that for plot. I’ve read that and many, many more negative reviews Agentminivan, but I’m not convinced. I fail to understand all the hate. My only explanation is that the prequels don’t live up to people’s personal fantasies, an impossible task and so resort to hate instead of watching all the good stuff. I went in with no preconceptions and loved it. Would I change some things? Sure, I can be a fanboy too, but if I stop trying to impose my fantasies of what should have been, I actually enjoy what was made and love it. In general, I think theirs is soo much to love in the prequels, I mean, who saw Jedi leading storm troopers into battle coming? The clone wars as done are a great achievement of aesthetics. The images in all clone wars material are iconic and satisfying. People hate it because the clone wars are not what they wanted, I think it’s better than anything I could have come up with, and very original.

Quote:
Yes, who can forget the Midiclorians, It's not a mystical power, it's bacteria.

Or non stop Jar-Jar - issa people gonna die! (South Park called that one awesomely).

Or whiny Anakin super child who built C3P0?

Or the awesomely retarded and stupid droid army. Man, can't get enough of that Roger, Roger routine. Man, who needs scary enemies when we can have stupid aliens speaking stereotypical Chinese accents and an army of klutzy robots. Best Movie Ever!!!!
You are way too smart for that JS. You do your research and always have excellent points that I always agree with. But here, you’re being emotional and willfully ignorant as well as lying about the Midichlorians (not meaning to insult you, I like a lot, just being matter-of-fact). You may hate the film on a personal level and that’s cool, but don’t say things about it that aren’t true, such as whitestuff saying there’s no plot.

Midichlorians. I’m so tired of hearing people say this. Let’s set the record straight. The Midichlorians are not the Force. Let’s say that again, Midichlorians are not the Force, enough, nah, one more time. Midichlorians are not the Force. Midichlorians are a vehicle of communication between the Force and humans, it goes to the core theme of symbiosis in the film as well as explain why the Force runs in families, there is a genetic element! Also, they are not bacteria, they are more like mitochondria. You can argue that the explanation wasn’t needed, and we may find some common ground there, but it is not a plot device that ruins anything at all. Heck, the Jedi of that time were wrong about so many things that you can see it as another Jedi misconception of the time. I don’t, I like the implications of the Midichlorians. I fail to see the problem here. It was already established in the OT that the Force has a genetic component (the force runs strong in my family) and the mc’s are the vehicle for that. Doesn’t mean the Force isn’t the great mystical entity it’s always been.

I believe the correct quote is “Yousa thinken yousa people gonna die?" Jar Jar is not as bad. I hear a lot of people saying they wanted another Chewie, why? Chewie is fine in the OT, no need to bad copies. They tried that approach already and it sucked, it was called Shadows of the Empire. No Han? No problem, we’ll make a fake one. Jar Jar is an homage to those kinds of characters in silly movies and frankly it’s great. It makes the movie more palatable to kids. Most kids between 3-8 will always love Jar Jar and his idiocy. Also, he provides a much needed counter balance to the ubber serious and stoic Jedi. In many ways, he’s the most human character. But I’ll be fair, I could have done without the fart scene before the race. Then again, it’s the kind of thing that let’s you know as a watcher, that you mustn’t take the stuff so seriously. The ominous entry to the pod race is broken up by that dumb scene and it makes sense within the context of the film. But there, I concede that one. Still, I like that the characters in the PT aren’t pastiches of characters in the OT.

Anakin acts like many children from troubled families I’ve encountered over the years, nothing surprises me there. He’s a product of his environment. I think the way he was portrayed was genius. Everyone wanted a “bad son” impersonator and instead we got a normal, messed up kid who is a mechanical genius. Building threepio is no different from the OT where everyone is related somehow.
The Droid army is a product of its environment as well. They needed a security force and they got one. No need for high intelligence as that is not their role. Also, it’s an important point later that the droids are stupid. Now, you messed with my favorite line, “Roger, Roger” rocks as a catch phrase. I use it often when being silly, so hands off. The droid army is useless, that is why clones are better. A little in your face how dumb they are, but when you have little kids watching, then it makes sense. The Trade Federation is also great. A mega corporation with representatives in the senate is awesome. LibeGeorge really laid it thick there, but it’s a great idea and one that is originally included in the “Journal of the Whills” treatment for the original Star Wars plot. People seem to be unable to grasp that the whole deal with the federation and the occupation was trivial, Jinn says so at the start, They are an insignificant entity in the grand scheme of things up to that point and the Jedi mission is routine and supposed to be boring. People complain about the plot hinging on a trade dispute, duh! It’s trivial! It’s a glimpse into the Jedi life during mission 1 billion three hundred and fifty six of the year. It shows a grim reality of Jedi life and it’s hardships. Not all is adventure and glory, until that mission at least and so Yoda looks down on those things later as his life was full of red tape. The Jedi are all diplomat bureaucrats who deal with boring trade disputes. It’s just a spring board for better things later.

Neimodians sound like Neimodians to me. If you want to nitpick and hate for the sake of hating then you’re gonna hear Chinese accents where there aren’t any. If anything bothers me about the Neimodians is that I wish they looked more like the concept art. Also, their presence turns our expectations upside down. Instead of lame mini Empire wanna be’s like the Black Sun, we get wimpy, weak greedy Neimodians jump starting a Galatic war. I never expected that. Everything here evolves from insignificant sources (even Qui Gon is an outcast Jedi). Of course in the background slithers the Sith, pulling the strings.

Lastly, Maul rocks, his death rocks and the duel of the fates is the best lightsaber duel in the saga.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:58 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
We didn't agree on 4e D&D but I am 100% behind you on this one.
Old February 1st, 2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
Quote:
We didn't agree on 4e D&D but I am 100% behind you on this one.
Ahh, common ground. Also, thanks to our conversations, I'm willing to accept I may have been harsh on 4th and will try it again, mostly because I respect your opinion. Glad we see eye to eye on this, I was expecting a string of expletives for posting that.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General