Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old May 6th, 2015, 05:01 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Major X17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post
Oh yeah, I understand; and we still play him in my house. I just feel a bit sad when a unit that most of us would expect to be a core element in a strongly thematic faction is instead languishing in the swamplands of competitive play. I'm actually working on a bonding squad design that I hope will make X17 more competitively viable (and more fun) without helping his big brothers much.
Well, there are the Hoplitrons of the SoV, although C3V's Major J15 is very good with them. X17 has shown up 7 times in the last dozen online events, including 5 of them after the Hoplitron. Our formats place emphasis on drafting and counterplay over raw army power, though, and a couple of those X17s were in a Heat of Battle event on lava maps, which is a good format for X17.

Quote:
The saddest story, of course, is Hatamoto Taro sitting all alone down there on the nasty end of the bench where the pigeons poop, chin in palm, with his underwear yanked up over the back of his head by the boys who actually got picked for the team. I remember reading a designer's note about how he was going to unite his people and totally kick butt. On the one hand it's a shame that the flagbearers are generally such a non-factor in competitive play, but on the other it's probably a good thing considering how they were distributed and the resulting high secondary-market values. I mean, they were basically a marketing gimmick, designed because of a deal with Toys R Us for exclusive content; Hasbro couldn't really afford to make them good enough that they threatened to become must-haves. But I digress.
Well, two of them are actually pretty highly rated, so there's that. Ornak is also reasonably strong in some situations, although you need a lot of points in play to justify him. Hatamoto has a little bit of X17 in him, in that a very specific build in very specific matchups can make him seem decent. But on the whole he's horrible. Acolarh is also bad, and even less likely to find a good situation that redeems him.

Last edited by dok; May 6th, 2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old May 6th, 2015, 05:43 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
It's around 1500 points where this becomes Viable though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Oh yeah, I understand; and we still play him in my house. I just feel a bit sad when a unit that most of us would expect to be a core element in a strongly thematic faction is instead languishing in the swamplands of competitive play. I'm actually working on a bonding squad design that I hope will make X17 more competitively viable (and more fun) without helping his big brothers much.
Well, there are the Hoplitrons of the SoV, although C3V's Major J15 is very good with them. X17 has shown up 7 times in the last dozen online events, including 5 of them after the Hoplitron. Our formats place emphasis on drafting and counterplay over raw army power, though, and a couple of those X17s were in a Heat of Battle event on lava maps, which is a good format for X17.

Quote:
The saddest story, of course, is Hatamoto Taro sitting all alone down there on the nasty end of the bench where the pigeons poop, chin in palm, with his underwear yanked up over the back of his head by the boys who actually got picked for the team. I remember reading a designer's note about how he was going to unite his people and totally kick butt. On the one hand it's a shame that the flagbearers are generally such a non-factor in competitive play, but on the other it's probably a good thing considering how they were distributed and the resulting high secondary-market values. I mean, they were basically a marketing gimmick, designed because of a deal with Toys R Us for exclusive content; Hasbro couldn't really afford to make them good enough that they threatened to become must-haves. But I digress.
Well, two of them are actually pretty highly rated, so there's that. Ornak is also reasonably strong in some situations, although you need a lot of points in play to justify him. Hatamoto has a little bit of X17 in him, in that a very specific build in very specific matchups can make him seem decent. But on the whole he's horrible. Acolarh is also bad, and even less likely to find a good situation that redeems him.
Sinking Acorlah, Mittens, and Haduc along with lots and lots (and lots) of Aubrien Archers can be fun. Get lots of turns from Frenzy, as Acorlah pumps their defense up a bit, and helps mobilize others.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old September 7th, 2017, 06:25 AM

Dragon_Yutha is surprisingly tart

you can not move away from major x17. but wath about summonings
by glyph of erland of sayland's spear of summoning
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:18 AM
Opps. He did it again.

Airborne Elite 5 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Yutha View Post
X17's card specifically stats that figures cannot be moved by ANY power on any glyph or army card. Try to make sure you read the card thoroughly before you ask questions.
Old September 7th, 2017, 10:17 AM

Grimnak knows what's in an order marker Grimnak knows what's in an order marker Grimnak knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Elite 5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Yutha View Post
X17's card specifically stats that figures cannot be moved by ANY power on any glyph or army card. Try to make sure you read the card thoroughly before you ask questions.
In general though, it's still hardly a big deal. We've all asked "silly" questions at some point.
Old September 7th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Often the answer is on the card.

Regardless, let's be nice. I expect Dragon Yutha's English is far better than our Dutch, and he asked politely.

I love to see posts from the other side of the Pond, Dragon Yutha. Don't be shy about participating in our discussions or asking more questions.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 14th, 2018, 11:40 AM

Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby!

So the card says "enter a space", does that include passing by him when counting out spaces but not actually stopping at that space? Is counting out the spaces past him to a different space counted as "entering" a space?

Old June 14th, 2018, 12:54 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
You shall not pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
So the card says "enter a space", does that include passing by him when counting out spaces but not actually stopping at that space? Is counting out the spaces past him to a different space counted as "entering" a space?
Cyberclaw and Advanced Cyberclaw both trigger the second a figure enters an adjacent space. You cannot move from that space, even if you were just attempting to pass by him without stopping. ^_^

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old June 14th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Hmm... but if you pass over a space without landing there (say while Flying) you could still bypass Cyberclaw, correct?

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old June 14th, 2018, 01:25 PM
I could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Hmm... but if you pass over a space without landing there (say while Flying) you could still bypass Cyberclaw, correct?
Yeah, you can fly/leap/grapple arm *over* the spaces adjacent to him. But once you become adjacent, nothing will save you from it, including Teleportation powers.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old June 14th, 2018, 02:23 PM

Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby! Talyn rolls all skulls baby!

So flying through a space next to him is not the same as moving through the space, it doesnt make you ever adjacent?

Old June 14th, 2018, 02:37 PM
I could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
So flying through a space next to him is not the same as moving through the space, it doesnt make you ever adjacent?
Correct, since flying is always considered to go over the spaces rather than through them.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units