Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old October 7th, 2015, 11:36 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Enjoyed my first two games of Smash Up. My first was a 4 Player where I took Zombie Wizards. This was a fairly complex combo, but eventually I got a handle on it. The second was a 3 Player where I did Robo Pirates, and I pulled off some neat tricks and won the game. There are unique possibilities available to each combo as far as I can see. I was focused on the second game as much on base scoring timing techniques as on the individual card powers. I'm looking forward to playing again, and mixing in a couple of expansions as well.

I would say that the base card variations are as important as the faction cards! The order that they come out is critical, and shapes the game. So adding new expansion base cards will give great variety as well as adding new faction decks.
Old October 8th, 2015, 12:41 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

@Mmirg -

I haven't played "Machi Koro" yet, so I can *NOT* make a decent comparison, but I have played "Colt Express" several times and concur with @Dad_Scaper's comments above. It is a lot of wacky fun and has become a regular at one family oriented, church based gaming group that I attend. The first time I played it with @Gurei-Ornery after a HeroScape tournament in MD, I had to own it. It became my NEXT purchase. Hmm, the same thing happened when he introduced me to "Black Fleet" and also when I tried "Love Letter" with D_S. It seems like every time I travel to MD it cost me much more than the grass and trolls (-r's), hehehe.

WARNING: It took me almost two hours to set it upset the FIRST TIME, because the cardboard train must be punched out and assembled. A little bit of white glue eliminates this problem for all future sessions. The wife and any daughters should especially like this one because the two female characters have over-powered abilities.

Meanwhile, LAST NIGHT I got to play Fantasy Flights: "Star Wars: X-Wing" twice. A new game store opened 20 miles from my house ( versus 50+ for three others, and 80 - 90 mi. for another four ). I joined their SW League last month just to meet and game with the other local players. Being in last place I had a chance to challenge anyone in the top tier and got slaughtered in two quick jousting sessions. I'm glad that I didn't have to fall off a horse wearing a full suit of armor - haha.

However, I did pay attention and learned a few good lessons; i.e. go BUY the Star Viper scum ship, just to get the Auto Thruster upgrade cards to put onto my Royal Guard Tie Interceptors. Four of which is currently my personal favorite squadron, because it's so easy to use - very maneuverable, 3 Attack, 3 Defense, 3 Hull, and at 22 pts - each one can take a 3 pts. upgrade like Hull+1 or pilot skill like Push The Limit, etc.

Arrrgh! I hate FF's Power Creep in their expansions. It's such a drain on my wallet. I feel like I just spent $21.39 ( 7% NJ Sales tax ) for a single 1.5 x 2.5" game card and got a FREE plastic space ship that I never plan to use. Well at least I supported my own new FLGS with this purchase.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; October 8th, 2015 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Kormechted tripeoh's
Old October 8th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Enjoyed my first two games of Smash Up. My first was a 4 Player where I took Zombie Wizards. This was a fairly complex combo, but eventually I got a handle on it. The second was a 3 Player where I did Robo Pirates, and I pulled off some neat tricks and won the game. There are unique possibilities available to each combo as far as I can see. I was focused on the second game as much on base scoring timing techniques as on the individual card powers. I'm looking forward to playing again, and mixing in a couple of expansions as well.

I would say that the base card variations are as important as the faction cards! The order that they come out is critical, and shapes the game. So adding new expansion base cards will give great variety as well as adding new faction decks.
I love Zombie Wizards. No idea if it's competitive, but it's one of my favorites. I also like Steampunk Bears. Good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I have played Colt Express with veteran gamers and new ones, with my kids and and with my dad, with groups from 3 to 6, with fans of Euro and fans of Ameritrash, and it is always riotously fun, and everyone always enjoys it.
Very cool.

My brother played it and gave it a very solid, "meh!" which made me think twice about getting it. He is usually spot on with these things.

I wonder if he just went into thinking it would be more than what it was.

--
@Johngee Yes, all the new stuff just keeps the wallet light, doesn't it? We recently added most of the newest wave (Houndtooth is up for next month). Fun stuff.
Old October 9th, 2015, 07:36 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Just picked up the first Smash Up expansion. Besides more factions, bigger print on the Base Cards, and VP counters, it allows for your fifth or sixth player, either by smashing everyone into one longer game, or splitting up into two groups. And its perfect for that upcoming Halloween Themed Game Day (in my case out on Long Island).

In terms of 'Smashing' one game/faction in with another, Richard Borg revealed last year that on Halloween his own play group plays armies from different C&C games against each other. I'd sure like to see the rules for that!
Old October 9th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Quote:
In terms of 'Smashing' one game/faction in with another, Richard Borg revealed last year that on Halloween his own play group plays armies from different C&C games against each other. I'd sure like to see the rules for that!
That sounds amazing! I need to assemble my War Council for Memoir 44. Look out, WWII, here comes a Giant Spider!
Old October 9th, 2015, 02:00 PM

Now that its October, the stuff due now and delayed from last month may make this my Month of Most Games Received Ever. Here's what I'm hoping for soon:

Age of Conan Expansion: Adventures In Hyperboria
(Old base game I already have now being mailed out first)

Blood Rage (with expansions)

C&C Napoleonics Expansion #5 Leadership (being mailed out next week)

Firefly Expansion Kalidasa (expected next week)

The Great War (now being received in US stores from Britain; Tank Expansion now on Kickstarter, French Army expansion coming next!)
Old October 9th, 2015, 05:55 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Firefly Expansion Kalidasa (expected next week)
Just picked this up at the store today, playing a game tonight.
Old October 9th, 2015, 09:38 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Received my KS copy of Tiny Epic Galaxies yesterday. Just finished my first game with my middlest son. Loved it. I rate it higher that TEK.
Old October 9th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Received my KS copy of Tiny Epic Galaxies yesterday. Just finished my first game with my middlest son. Loved it. I rate it higher that TEK.
I agree A3n. I have TEK and it's ok, but I played a friend's TEG a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it, and also thought it was better than TEK.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old October 10th, 2015, 06:38 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Went with Avengers theme game today.

Captain America (240), Iron Man Mark III(220), Black Widow (170), Hawkeye (150), Nomad (130) and Sharon Carter (90) for 1,000 Points.

Vs.

Titanium Man (240), Baron Von Strucker (210), A.I.M. Agents x 3 (210), Grey Gargoyle (200) and Batroc The Leaper (130) for 990 points.

Fun game. Strucker's Intelligence Network was really helpful in moving some AIM Agents and a thorn in the Avenger's side. He and Cap were locked up at the end with only Sharon Carter left and BvS used Death Spore a couple times to put final 2 wounds on Cap, but then Sharon put the final couple wounds on BvS.

Hawkeye used his Grapple Arrow early to get to the "hawk's nest" atop one of the towers. Did some damage from there vs. AIM and a little bit extra, but took some early damage from AIM and then got finished off by Grey Gargoyle.

Titanium Man kept Iron Man from flying, because of Magnetic Flux Rings, and then Tractor Beamed him in to put 3 wounds on him. He would later put another wound on him, but Iron Man rolled for Circuitry Reroute 11 and stayed alive, though without any special powers. Fortunately, Titanium Man got taken out by a great Shield Throw by Cap, and Iron Man was able to live awhile longer, until he hoped over a fence, punched Strucker for a wound and then got killed by Death Spore.

Nomad took out an AIM Agent or two, but Grey Gargoyle took him out, and Batroc was beastly against Black Widow too, but she did some damage to him as well. He got finished off by Cap's Shield Throw.

Sharon Carter was undercover with Covert Operations for awhile, but then an AIM Agent engaged her via Intelligence Network and blew her cover. But thanks in part to Cap's inspiration, she was able to take out a couple AIM Agents, but had to finish off BvS on her own.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old October 10th, 2015, 08:58 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Arrrgh! I hate FF's Power Creep in their expansions. It's such a drain on my wallet. I feel like I just spent $21.39 ( 7% NJ Sales tax ) for a single 1.5 x 2.5" game card and got a FREE plastic space ship that I never plan to use. Well at least I supported my own new FLGS with this purchase.
Power Creep? No. It's fairly stable, akin to Heroscape. Some ships were underperforming/absent in the meta (like Interceptors, Advanced, and X-Wing) and issued ingenious fixes in expansions.

For example, the Twin Laser Turret is a big boon to Rebel HWKs and some unqiue Y-Wing pilots, but has currently found it's home on common Y-Wings as well. They may be the current thing to beat, but it's certainly beatable.
Old October 10th, 2015, 09:57 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Power Creep? No. It's fairly stable, akin to Heroscape. Some ships were underperforming/absent in the meta (like Interceptors, Advanced, and X-Wing) and [FF] issued ingenious fixes in expansions.

For example, the Twin Laser Turret is a big boon to Rebel HWKs and some unqiue Y-Wing pilots, but has currently found it's home on common Y-Wings as well. They may be the current thing to beat, but it's certainly beatable.
@MegaSilver -
I agree with you that Fantasy Flights is doing a marvelous job of keeping the factions within the SW:X-W game 'fairly stable" and balanced by issuing "ingenious fixes" to the underperforming units. However, IMHO, that in itself IS a subtle (maybe 'mild') form of "Power Creep?"

We've all seen other games that are much, much worse and game companies that are blatant about the process and obviously favor making money over long term customer satisfaction.

There will never be a perfect game system. I accept that this is part of the genre and probably a major portion of the industry. In order to stay in business, a company must make a profit selling it's products and to sell those items it must induce customers to buy them by providing incentives, like upgrade cards that enhance existing space ships capabilities enough to keep them viable.

I guess I was expecting the Scum and Villainy faction to be self contained and hoping that I could just skip this entire Wave. Now that I'm getting back into the game after taking a break from it all summer, I'm finding out which ships I NEED to buy just to get the cards I need to keep my existing squadrons competitive within the existing meta.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games