Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old November 27th, 2007, 10:00 AM

aerofool Woo who?
Gluing things together can be a chore, but you can get a lasting, permanent bond if you take the proper steps.

First is the glue. For goodness sakes, stay away from Apple Barrel all together. Nothing they make is intended for this type of hobby work.

HS figures are made out of vynil, so you need something that will adhere to it. Modelling rubber cement just works on plastic, and will not help you. Anything labelled craft glue is for porous surfaces such as fabric and wood. The best thing I've found is a good super glue. Out of the cheap multi-purpose glues, Loctite makes the best. Hardware section at Wal-Mart. I would suggest, however spending a bit more money and going with a good modelling super glue. It is a bit thicker and easier to manage. I normally use Games-Workshop/citadel brand, though I hear testors may work as well, though I cannot vouch for the thickness of the formula.

More things you need is a pin vise, a pair of wire cutters and some floral wire. Just drill a hole in both parts you plan to glue and use a small bit of wire to pin the pieces together. This will help strengthen your joints and have your model come apart less often. If pinned properly, you should be able to drop your vynil model on a hard floor and it will still stay together.

****! I must be having a bad week!
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun
The pin vise and wire method works great, I've used that many times. My suggestion on molding and casting was for parts too small to do that with. I was thinking more along the lines of 2 parts similar to toothpicks or paper clip wire being glued end-to-end. There aren't many glues that will hold a bond with a cross-sectional area that small.
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:26 PM

aerofool Woo who?
Casting can be a bit tricky if you don't have a lot of experience in it. Also casting a copy of a model or model part, unfortunately, is against copyright. As long as you don't try to sell your casts, you should be fine, though.

Old November 27th, 2007, 04:13 PM

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun
I was talking about making your own custom figure, not duplicating an existing one. Like taking parts from 2 other figures and putting them together and casting that.

As far as copyrights go, casting is really no different than modding or other methods. Selling a repaint would be copyright infringement, too. But copyrights only matter if you try to sell or otherwise profit from it, at least in the U.S. Other countried may have different laws.
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Zombiebomb has disabled reputation
i actually have no idea on how i would create a new cast for one of my customs so i took obsidianators idea and went to walmart bought a glue gun and started there, its been working very well for me and it helps fill in some gaps i messed up on cutting, if i new how to cast i might try that but unfortunately i have no idea where i would start with that =/ thanks again for all the responses, i appreciate them very much! =)

Whats high score mean? did i break it?
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:17 PM

HS ~ KNT is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I dunno, whenever I've combined figures, if I intend to paint them (which I always do) I just heat the bits with a lighter and press them together. Nothing's come apart for me yet.

Though, of course, it's not the safest method. And fumes....

So, otherwise, I use hot glue.

~Neko: Leaving, sadly. I hope to see you all around. =^-^=

Making Custom Fixes for Heroscape Once more, I will say my camera hates me.
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:25 AM

aerofool Woo who?
I can't see hot glue holding indefinately. Hot glue on plastic peels too easily. If you think it's working fine for you, than stick to it. Just be warned that in time your parts may peel off.

Old November 30th, 2007, 10:36 AM

aerofool Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyOwl
As far as copyrights go, casting is really no different than modding or other methods. Selling a repaint would be copyright infringement, too. But copyrights only matter if you try to sell or otherwise profit from it, at least in the U.S. Other countried may have different laws.

Painting and recasting are two totally differant issues when it comes to copyrights. In most cases you can repaint all day long and reach no harsh scrutiny from miniature manufacturers. Yet, if you recast any model or parts of any model you can get in hot water. Recasting an arm of model A and the head of model B as parts to make model C is still considered making unauthorized copies of models A and B no mater how you do it. If you plan to ever sell any casted models like this, always mention it as a converted custom and not a casted piece and that will save you a lot of trouble later.

Old November 30th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Well, I don't sell my customs at all so it isn't an issue with me. I think the difference is what the law states vs. what the miniature companies don't like. According to the law, any derivative work can be a copyright violation, and that includes repaints. Now if the companies aren't bothered by that and choose not to pursue it, that's a different issue.

Also note that the copyright law specifically states that they have to ask you to stop and you have 30 days to comply before they can take legal action. So it's pretty easy to avoid legal trouble as long as you stop if and when they ask you to.
Old November 30th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Right..No Left!.. No I mean Right!

Lotus is surprisingly tart
The reality is, he is simply doing this as a personal work, which while technically being illegal, isn't going to get him in trouble. Some miniature companies actually have no issue with recasts of parts to make customs. But that is not really the point. If you are stealing minis, it's illegal and wrong.
Old November 30th, 2007, 09:21 PM

You can look up the actual U.S. copyright law online. It clearly states that copyrights only apply when selling or profiting from something (in the U.S. - that is not the case in all other countries). It even explicitly allows copying (even multiple copies) in certain circumstances, like for teaching or instructional purposes, among others. There is nothing in the law that prohibits making a copy for personal use as long as the original you're copying belongs to you. It does state that all "derivative works", defined as any work where the original source is obvious to people looking at it, requires permission. This includes repaints. However, again it isn't a legal problem unless you try to sell the repaint. Of course, a company can always choose not to pursue legal action.

That being said, it doesn't have to be illegal for a miniature company to get upset. Even winning a lawsuit can cost a lot of money, so it just isn't worth arguing if they ask you to stop doing someting.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:14 PM

Aryk has disabled reputation
When I combine Figures, I use super glue, but I use an xacto knife to rough up the faces that will be glued. It helps them not slip while the glue sets. I put on just a little, and then hold the sides together until it sets.

-Blood is the Price of Glory

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards