Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old November 25th, 2007, 11:18 PM

Zombiebomb has disabled reputation
How do I get Miniature Parts to Stick together better?

hello all and thank you ahead of time for the responses to this post.

i am new to creating and painting old figures and turning them into new ones, but from looking on these forums i couldn't help but want to do that and i have tried take pieces from older units and heroes that i don't use anymore and combine them to make new ones and i just can't get them to stay together be it an arm i am attaching to one or a head or half a body. I use an x-acto blade to cut them apart but krazy glue and model cement just don't hold it together for some odd reason, is there any other glue i should look for?

Another thing is paint, i was reading a thread about apple barrel paint but is there a paint i could get at an art store or a game store which would be easier than ordering from online?

thank you again for all answers and help to my queries! =)

Whats high score mean? did i break it?
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:32 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!
Model glue is not really glue...

Try Cyanoacrylic Rubberised Medium/thick thin stuff will make a mess if you've never used it and you will more than likely glue yourself to something. Should be many brands selling it... make sure you get a type that works on PVC.

With this stuff you have to hold the pieces together, then apply the glue so it runs into the cracks...
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:37 PM

MegadeV knows what's in an order marker MegadeV knows what's in an order marker
You may be using too much super glue. I have noticed that if I accidentally squeeze out too much, it's hard to get a good bond. It shouldn't take much to stick pieces together, especially if the surfaces being joined are flat.

You shouldn't need to order Apple Barrel paints online. They are available at Wal-Marts and similar stores (at least the ones around here). If they aren't available, almost any acrylic paint you can find in the craft section at stores will work fine and look well enough for most people. I'm assuming you're not expecting amazing super-professional paint jobs, but I doubt I could tell the difference between figures painted with Apple Barrel and any other random brand. Just avoid using enamel paints (like Testors).

9+ RotV - 7 SotM - 6 FotAk - 6 RttFF - 3 VW - 3 TT - 3 TJ - 1 Marvel - 3+ of each common - playing since Dec '05

Megadev's Repaints and Customs
BattletechScape
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:22 AM

thank you for the information, and i think i was just putting to much krazy glue on the figures because it says on the package it can do pvc plastics, and when i put less on them and held them for a while they stuck together better! thank you for the information on the paints as well. =) much appreciated

Old November 26th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Web Wader

Fallen Templar is surprisingly tart
Testors super glue

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Old November 26th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Obsidianator is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
i sand down the surfaces, and then use a drop of hot glue and push the together and hold for a minute.
Old November 26th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Syvaris knows what's in an order marker Syvaris knows what's in an order marker
gorrila glue(especially for the gorillinators )
Old November 26th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I get my Apple Barrel Paints at Michaels. The glue question didn't get nearly as many responses when I asked it...

Grinnell College '16
Old November 26th, 2007, 07:30 PM
has been BANNED

The Super Atheist is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syvaris
gorrila glue(especially for the gorillinators )
Doesn't that stuff expand alot and take forever to dry?
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Right..No Left!.. No I mean Right!

Lotus is surprisingly tart
I would never suggest Gorilla Glue for miniatures, it is great for wood an porous materials, but not so much for non-porous stuff. Also fine detail work makes a definite no.

Use very small amounts of Super Glue (I buy the cheap 6 for $1 packs) and a small amount of moisture on the opposite side, preferably salt water (saliva/sweat also works) press and hold for a minute or so, you'll be fine, the more glue you use the weaker your bond. Same with moisture. A little goes a long way.
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidianator
i sand down the surfaces, and then use a drop of hot glue and push the together and hold for a minute.
i will have to try out the hot glue, it probably helps fill tiny gaps as well i would think. thanks for the tip =)

Old November 27th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun
If the cross sectional area you're gluing is small enough, no glue will hold it for long. There just isn't enough surface area for it to "grip". For those situations, I use super glue to hold it temporarily and then mold that piece and cast it out of a solid piece of plastic. I had to do that for a custom I made where I had all these little horns glued onto it (I cut them off Mimring). No matter what, the glue wouldn't hold for very long, but once I cast it as a solid piece, no problems!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards