Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old February 21st, 2018, 02:29 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Astroking112's Maps [Update 6-23-18]

After admiring so many of the wonderful maps on display here, I've decided that it was about time that I started my own thread so that I can share what I've been working on. Since HeroScape's system is so versatile, I've messed with a lot of formats (but mostly, I've just messed them up ).

Nonconventional Maps
Spoiler Alert!

Watchtower Maps
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Astroking112; June 23rd, 2018 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Added New Detroit.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 01:09 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Astroking112's Maps

@Nomad @Robber @Sir Heroscape @BiggaBullfrog , I was wanting to submit my map above, Vulxinla, to the Map Building contest. If you guys have any feedback to give on this map, I'd welcome the thoughts (I'm aware that this one's kind of a stretch for most tournaments, but I still find it to be balanced when both players can expect it).

I'm waiting to take up @superfrog 's offer of building the map for me in VirtualScape until I get some general thoughts. The starting zones are the sand/stone lines on either end of the board (along with the two road spaces on the bottom, the random piece of concrete was just filler) and the castle spaces on the top level.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 02:31 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Stylistically, I'm intrigued with the map. Competitively, not so much -- it will be kind of a no-brainer to go for the top ground, especially for a competitive Rats/Raelin/Q9 build. Special Attacks get to ignore Thorian, so sitting up there will be no problem, and the high ground has perfect choke points for Rats to clog up with Raelin sitting behind them and boosting their defense. All in all I don't see this being a competitive map, though it's an interesting and unique try and I applaud the effort! And I'd like to see more from you, too. This map looks great for casual play and that's something in and of itself.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old March 3rd, 2018, 03:42 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

I have wanted to make a tournament worthy castle map for a long time. I think it's possible, but not with the limitations that the ARV has in place. You simply will not have enough terrain to make it balanced for non-flying, and double spaced figures. Remember that both double spaced, and large/huge figures, can't climb ladders. The biggest issues are making sure that every figure can get an attack on the highest point, and you need to be able to hunt down flying figures without them being able to fly away from you too easily, just by going over the edge of the castle, or up to the top of it.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Stylistically, I'm intrigued with the map. Competitively, not so much -- it will be kind of a no-brainer to go for the top ground, especially for a competitive Rats/Raelin/Q9 build. Special Attacks get to ignore Thorian, so sitting up there will be no problem, and the high ground has perfect choke points for Rats to clog up with Raelin sitting behind them and boosting their defense. All in all I don't see this being a competitive map, though it's an interesting and unique try and I applaud the effort! And I'd like to see more from you, too. This map looks great for casual play and that's something in and of itself.
Astonishingly, the whole rats/Q9/Raelin combo completely slipped my mind. Perhaps my gaming group has avoided them too much, because I never even remembered how much they could break this whole design when testing it.

I agree that this map wouldn't work in a normal tournament format, even ignoring the major oversight about Q9 and rats. Special Attacks are even more of a necessity here than usual (and I was hesitant to switch to the Glyph of Jalguard, since that would inhibit melee as well). Many common tournament armies are completely broken here, albeit that's an inevitable byproduct of trying to defy so many guidelines.

I have another design that I'm tinkering with that's a little more traditional (although it has its own plethora of problems that make it pretty uncompetitive in general), so I'll try to upload that when I get the chance in order to get some feedback. Thanks for the honest thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
I have wanted to make a tournament worthy castle map for a long time. I think it's possible, but not with the limitations that the ARV has in place. You simply will not have enough terrain to make it balanced for non-flying, and double spaced figures. Remember that both double spaced, and large/huge figures, can't climb ladders. The biggest issues are making sure that every figure can get an attack on the highest point, and you need to be able to hunt down flying figures without them being able to fly away from you too easily, just by going over the edge of the castle, or up to the top of it.
Just because it's not possible with those limitations won't stop me from trying.

This was an effective way of balancing out melee and ranged armies in a true castle map, albeit it obviously has some very exploitable flaws, and widening the bridges to avoid chokepoints isn't really an option thanks to the lack of terrain. I'll still probably design this style of map for Rise of the Valkyrie and Swarm of the Marro since it's been a hit at my gaming nights (although I don't even want to think about making it work with the paltry Marvel terrain), but I don't expect to see these things at any other tournaments soon.

That's a good point about the non-flying double-spaced figures not being able to access the top level if not placed there, though. I'll take a look at stuff like Migol's Tomb with the sloping hillsides to see how the original designers handled this problem.

As for flying, I spent a good deal of time trying to think of ways to stop it from dominating the game from Order Marker 1, but the solution that I settled on was to have Rannveig active during the beginning of the game (or when a Treasure Glyph Trap activated). I'm not overly fond of this solution, as I feel like there should be a more elegant way of handling things.

I'll tinker around with some other castle configurations to see if I can get anything that's a little more acceptable for a tournament.
Old May 21st, 2018, 01:57 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Astroking112's Maps [Update 5-19-18]

Vulxinia looks pretty good. It could work well in a tourney if the format was something like RtW or something else where nobody would want their opponent to steal their Q9. If you wanted to, you could even use a couple of the Teleport glyphs from the C3V to help the big’ns get up there.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old May 21st, 2018, 02:45 AM

Thumbs up Re: Astroking112's Maps [Update 5-19-18]

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Vulxinia looks pretty good. It could work well in a tourney if the format was something like RtW or something else where nobody would want their opponent to steal their Q9. If you wanted to, you could even use a couple of the Teleport glyphs from the C3V to help the big’ns get up there.
Thanks for the feedback. Reverse the Whip is definitely an interesting point that could help prevent the Rats/Q9 combo here, especially since it's so much more powerful.

I really like that idea about the teleport glyphs; I had completely forgotten about them, but they sound like an amazing addition. I've noticed in my tests that the Treasure Glyphs often go unused, since players rarely want to risk a Unique hero on the lower level unless it's a heavy hitter like Drake or Alastair.

I'm going to have to make myself two copies of the glyph and test it out with them replacing the Treasure Glyphs to see how it turns out. I could even see it replacing the Glyph of Thorian in the center, with two powerful permanent glyphs replacing the Treasure Glyphs at the edges... This definitely opens up a lot of possibilities and solves some of the maps flaws. Thanks again!
Old May 26th, 2018, 11:09 AM

Leo Ultra is surprisingly tart

Awesome, it's finally uploaded! Not sure where the inspiration for that name came from, but the bio is fascinating. Good work, man!

I wish you high rolls, fair winds, and following seas.
I am a proud member of Platyfly!, a sketch comedy YouTube channel dedicated to giving Platypi the Flying Special Power!
Old May 26th, 2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ultra View Post
Awesome, it's finally uploaded! Not sure where the inspiration for that name came from, but the bio is fascinating. Good work, man!
Thanks! The name came from a mythical place known as keyboard spontaneity, cleaned up a little bit to become somewhat readable.

Unfortunately, I have yet to be able to upload the VirtualScape build instructions (along with the files for my second map), but I'm hoping to be able to post them somewhat soon. I'm sure that you understand how ready I am to finally take apart this map.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 01:41 AM

Re: Astroking112's Maps [Update 6-23-18]

After a long process that I won't delineate here, I have finally been able to physically build my second map idea that I was originally hoping to submit to the contest before life happened. True to my nature, it's something that doesn't really fit tournament norms (although not nearly as game-breaking as Vulxinla).

I'm still waiting on the chance to upload the PDFs for this map and Vulxinla to the gallery, but I wanted to take the chance to lay the groundwork before I can get those up. So, without further adieu, I present New Detroit:

2 Players, 400-600pts
1 TCB, 1 TT, 1 VW
Heavy Snow, Normal Ice
Treasure Glyph Trap: Arctic switch! For the remainder of the game, use Normal Snow and Slippery Ice.
If you were already using Normal Snow and Slippery Ice, instead switch back to Heavy Snow and Normal Ice.

Pictures
Spoiler Alert!
Analysis
Spoiler Alert!
Lore
Spoiler Alert!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios