Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old January 28th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
What's the big deal with "Speak no ill of the dead"?

It was brought up in a celebrity death thread. I don't get the whole "Speak no ill of the dead" idea. It seems to me that to some people it's almost like a cardinal sin. It's like it has religious significance. I'm curious to know how people feel about the whole "speak no ill of the dead" thing. Is this a part of your personal philosophy/behavior, and if so why?
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What's the big deal with "Speak no ill of the dead"?

I don't care for ripping into someone who died tragically, just to be mean.

On the other side, I will gladly speak ill about those who were truly bad.

IE, from your example, I wouldn't pick on Brittney Murphy as she wasn't bad, however, a murderer would be fair game.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have no problem speaking ill of certain dead people. They've got to have done some major bad stuff, though. Example: Screw Hitler!

If I don't like someone just because of the movies they made or their lifestyle I don't think that's sufficient cause to blast them when they die and say things like "I'm glad he/she's dead. They couldn't act worth a crap, stupid junkie!" Not because it's bad Karma, but because who am I to judge them? I haven't lived their life. (But I have no problem judging people like Hitler. Remember the whole Screw Hitler! comment from earlier?) Anyway, that's my feelings on it. Now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

Old January 28th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I don't have a problem with that. It's just this kind of "blanket amnesty" that is afforded to people because of some saying that people seemingly absorb into their religious system. That's what I don't get.

EDIT: The above was a response to jschild's post. RabSheila ninja'd me. The ironic thing with this thread is that I pretty much expected a mention of Hitler from the get go.
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense to me either. Screw Hitler! Stupid Hitler.

Old January 28th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I don't go for blanket pardons - you do real evil, then you deserve the hate, whether you are alive or dead.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:18 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
I don't have a problem with that. It's just this kind of "blanket amnesty" that is afforded to people because of some saying that people seemingly absorb into their religious system. That's what I don't get.

EDIT: The above was a response to jschild's post. RabSheila ninja'd me. The ironic thing with this thread is that I pretty much expected a mention of Hitler from the get go.
If someone has a legitimate reason as to HATE someone then not being saddened by their death is completely fine. Even if someones death has no affect on you personally there is no reason to ever say "I dont care if she/he is dead"...it would be like saying to someone on here that they didn't care if their mother or father etc had just passed away. What I also hate is the speculation when a celebrity dies unexpectedly (as happened in the Britany Murphy thread). Still no evidence of drug use..but yet everyone was so quick to cry when Heath Ledger ...a known user ...OD'd. Because he was a better actor than Murphy in your eyes he deserves to be treated better?
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:35 PM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!

It is derived from a latin phrase:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_mortuis_nil_nisi_bonum

Jeff H - Manchester NH

No plan survives contact with the enemy. - Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

Good traders: M.K. Sentinal, C.L., and CheddarLimbo
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Quest Quitter

I'm not suggesting in the least that anyone is "OK" to start spouting crap about dead people. I'm just questioning this idea that we should be silent just because they are dead.
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:53 PM

Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby!

I think it comes from earlier times- when people were afraid of being haunted by the dead they were slandering. Then death was a removal of a barrier- you could talk about a guy who lived four villages away because he probably wouldn't find out and what if he did? He's going to walk two weeks to punch you in the eye? Who's taking care of his crops? But when they were dead, well they could be right behind you, waiting to take your child or cripple your arm or kill your goat.
Now days death is a barrier- even if you believe in Life+, the dead don't shop at Walmart.

Last edited by Sylvano the Wasabus; January 28th, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:55 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvano the Wasabus View Post
even if you believe in Life+, the dead don't shop at Walmart.
Some of them are greeters.
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Sandy 7-Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
It was brought up in a celebrity death thread. I don't get the whole "Speak no ill of the dead" idea.
The whole issue started because of some comments voiced on the RIP Brittany Murphy thread. Somebody didn’t care for Ms. Murphy and said some lame things about her death. The point of that thread (I thought) was for fans of Murphy’s to wish her a restful afterlife, say what they enjoyed about her films, etc. Thus complying with the RIP part of the thread. If somebody didn’t like her, thought she stunk as an actress, was a drug addict, etc. then that’s fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Narrow minded as it may be. They don’t need to post on a thread celebrating her and mourning her death to say how they thought she sucked. Keep it to yourself. What possible benefit could there be in saying that crap? Do I like every celebrity that died in the past year? No. But I respect the fact that others do and I’m not going to voice my unsolicited opinion about them just to stir stuff up. And whether or not I liked them, I’m sorry they’re dead. Most of them had family and friends of their own and it’s a horrible thing when you lose a loved one.

Sorry for rambling.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General