Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

View Poll Results: Did You Vote This Election Day?
I am Registered, and I Voted! 35 50.00%
I am Registered, and I did NOT Vote. 4 5.71%
I am NOT Registered, and I did NOT Vote. 13 18.57%
I am too Young to Vote. 13 18.57%
I Don't Live in the U.S., so I can't Vote there. 5 7.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 8th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augray
Bin Laden did use Clinton's quick withdrawal from Somalia as an example of the weakness of the US.
Bin Laden also used Reagan's lack of response to the Beruit barracks bombing as a template for future terrorist attacks, and an example of how the US was a "paper tiger." The Iran hostage crisis under Carter was another weak response to a terrorist threat.

Another interesting point of reference: The outgoing Clinton security team told the incoming Bush administration that Al Qaeda would be their number one priority and was the number one threat to the US. The administration ignored them, gutted the program tracking Al Qaeda, and brought in Condoleeza Rice, who was in expert in the Cold War, as national security advisor.

While perhaps it could be argued that Clinton did not do enough, he did more than any other president before or after him until the WTC/Pentagon plane hijackings in 2001.
Old November 9th, 2006, 12:08 AM

Jotun has disabled reputation
The reason I posted the link above was so that people would be able to read what actually happened as opposed to what they may have heard from a source less reliable than a nonpartisan website that's been pointed to by liberals and conservatives (including Dick Cheney during the debates) as a place to get real no-spin news.

From the FactCheck.org link above:

Lewinsky a distraction?
Thirdly, the letter says the ABC program insinuates that Clinton was too wrapped up in the Monica Lewinsky scandal and impeachment to pay sufficient attention to bin Laden. On this, the 9/11 Report supports Clinton. "Everyone involved in the decision [to launch cruise missiles aimed at bin Laden in 1998] had, of course, been aware of President Clinton's problems," the Report says. "He told them to ignore them. Berger recalled the President saying to him 'that they were going to get crap either way, so they should do the right thing.' All his aides testified to us that they based their advice solely on national security considerations. We have found no reason to question their statements." (p. 11 Because of complaints from Clinton's camp, ABC removed most references to the Lewinsky scandal by the time the program aired.
Old November 9th, 2006, 02:22 AM

django is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
(including **** Cheney during the debates)
I love the word censor thing.someone should put in the most popular nicknames for characters instead of there real names.

**** Cheney !

¡dn sʇɐɥʍ
Old November 9th, 2006, 02:28 AM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
lol I thought it was an oblique reference to when he dropped the f-bomb on Patrick Leahy.
Old November 9th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Master Custom Creator

Euryon is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augray
Actually, I think the question "What is the inherent nature of man?" could really be at the root of the liberal/conservative divide. If you believe man is inherently good, this premise leads you down a certain path. If you believe man is inherently selfish, you will probably head down a different path.
I believe the inherent nature of humanity is to be able to choose a path. We are as susceptible to vice as we are to virtue, I think; but more likely to choose vice as it's often the more attractive view. We have evidence, if not the ideals, of men and women, who through it all, shines as good or bad. Sure, many "good" guys had their bad moments, but I think it's important to judge in a gestalt manner.
It's just a lot easier to be corrupted when you're given some form of power, meaning politicians, for all their promises, will always find it difficult to fully deliver.

On my command, fix bayonets.
Old November 9th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Augray is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euryon
I believe the inherent nature of humanity is to be able to choose a path. We are as susceptible to vice as we are to virtue, I think; but more likely to choose vice as it's often the more attractive view. We have evidence, if not the ideals, of men and women, who through it all, shines as good or bad. Sure, many "good" guys had their bad moments, but I think it's important to judge in a gestalt manner.
I agree. We all have choice. I tend to think that man's natural tendency is to choose self over all else. It takes more "effort" to do something that will go against self interest.
Old August 28th, 2018, 02:48 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Election Day: Have You Voted?

Well met!

Just realized vacay in Charlotte causes me to miss out on voting, but you don't have to.

Please vote today!

Old November 6th, 2018, 09:33 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Election Day: Have You Voted?

Well met!

How can anybody be here given what’s happening out there tonight?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General