Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > ScapeCon
ScapeCon Forum for events related to Scapecon

Old July 17th, 2022, 06:59 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth
Scapecon II Battle Reports

Starting a thread for any and all of sorts of Scapecon Battle Reports. Post your tournament rundowns, favorite games, stories, or whatever else in here.
Old July 17th, 2022, 07:43 PM

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth
Re: Scapecon II Battle Reports

MULTIPLAYER MADNESS REPORT

I went with Stingers x3, Laglor as my Multiplayer Madness build. I was inspired by JohnnyFrisbee's full Stinger Drain multiplayer title from last year. This format is all about hunting points killed, not being the last one standing. The range and mobility of Stingers allow you to hunt points aggressively, pulling up and dropping dice on whatever target you think is a priority. I added Laglor because he can clear out Mezzos and Phantoms, which are popular Multiplayer picks that Stingers can't handle.

One important feature of this format is who's to your right, who's to your left, and who's across the table from you. Initiatives are set clockwise. The player to your right has aggressive advantage on you, because they will win 75% of initiatives against you. The player to your left you have aggressive advantage on, for the same reason. The player across the table you most likely interact with less, since they're just so far physically across the board and they will get caught in crossfire before you reach them.

----------

Game 1 vs. Johnny Frisbee (Stingers x4, Marcu, Air Elemental), Loki619 (Stingers x2, Drones x2, MBS), Majora's Incantation (Kurrok, Water Elemental, Fire Elemental, Earth Elemental, Air Elemental, Theracus)

Johnny was to my right, Loki was to my left, and Majora's was across the table. There were a lot of Stingers involved in this match, and then the Elementals. Elementals were not ideal for the format. Kurrok can resurrect Elementals, which puts more points on the board for opponents to score, and we all realized and put a lot of pressure on him. There was a fun moment in the game where one of mine and Johnny's Stingers and Loki's Me-Burq-Sa were all pointed at Kurrok, all gunning for the Elementalist to score points. Majora finished with about 20 total points, killing 1 of my Stingers with Kurrok in melee mode. I finished in second, behind Johnny, who scored over 500, blasting tons of points of Elementals and winning trades with me before cleaning out Drones for the win.

Game 2 vs. Chris Perkins (Phantoms x4), Dysole (Blades x3, Nerak, Grimnak), Major Q23 (Laglor, Krav, Rats x2)

This was a powerhouse multiplayer table. Dysole was to my right, Q23 was to my left, and Chris Perkins was across the table. This was a very interesting nest of interactions. Phantoms are great into Krav, who are great into Stingers, but Grimnak is great into Rats. Unfortunately for the good of the table, Dysole's Grimnak was across the table from Q23's Rats. Dysole settled for taking kills on my Stingers, while Q23 built a Rat wall on the corner of the board. Chris caught a Krav with a Phantom on his OM3 of Round 1, but didn't get the kill. Q23 made the very smart but high-risk play of taking an LEA with that Krav to escape it behind the Rat screen. The LEA missed, and Q23 was able to sit with Laglor-boosted Krav and pick at whatever shots he liked best. Laglor slowly died to Phantoms, but Q23 vastly outpaced anyone else in points since no one wanted to attack Stealth Dodge Krav or Rats. On my side, I swung for the fences and lost pretty badly. I tried to blow up Nerak to cripple the Blade defense for easy pickings later, but failed, and got overrun by the Blade forces. Later, I stepped my Laglor up, and he got Chomped. I came in last place, with Q23 taking it with the Krav, and Dysole coming in second after Chomping Phantoms.

Game 3 vs. Boromir96 (Wolves of Badru x3, Marro Warriors), Brean of Philly (Hounds x3, Marcu), GucciBoost (Venocs x4, Venoc Warlord, Isamu)

Brean was to my right, GucciBoost was to my left, Boromir was across the table. With 5 defense on the Hounds, I was draining every time, and landing on 2/3 kills a turn, for 60 points a turn, which was beautiful. I had a minor truce going with GucciBoost, who was over across the board hitting Badru with Vipers alongside Brean's surviving Hounds. I got in on the Badru kills a bit, and then turned over to Vipers when the Badru were gone. I won this round by a pretty healthy point margin.

Game 4 vs. Muskie (Kozuke, Tagawa, Izumi, Isamu), Brean of Philly (Hounds x3, Marcu), Master Roshi (Dwarves x2, Darrak, Zetacron, Air Elemental)

Master Roshi was to my right, Muskie was to my left, Brean was across the table. Muskie's full Samurai were another juicy target. I had to deal with Dwarves to my right that prevented me from feasting quite as much as I wanted to, but I still scored a decent amount of points while Muskie was quickly knocked out by Stingers and Hounds. Brean turned her focus to Dwarves and their sleeping in startzone fillers, while my troops were rapidly diminishing. I switched to Laglor, who did manage to come back, and cleared out all the Hounds and Marcu, but I came up just short of Brean in points at the end.

----------

Fun format. I did just okay, but I had a good time. The focus on points killed makes for very wild games that don't really resemble normal Heroscape. You don't care about disrupting your opponents' plans, it's just all personal greed. It would be fun to try this format with Fog of War rules so ranged figures aren't quite as dominant.

Last edited by vegietarian18; July 17th, 2022 at 10:08 PM. Reason: adding words I forgot
Old July 17th, 2022, 09:39 PM

VC QUAD POD REPORT

Rats x2, Werewolf Lord
Van Nessing, Stingers x2
Phantoms x2, Suskra
Warriors of Ashra x2, Kaemon

I went with a variant on the pods I built for the most recent OHS Quad Pod last summer. The pods are built on Werewolf Lord chaos synergy/counter with Van Nessing, via Moon Frenzy and Van Nessing's natural hybrid status. I added Suskra for more hybrids. Also Phantoms vs. Stingers is a very interesting matchup when you give the Stingers the anti-undead Van Nessing.

Game 1 (Van Nessing, Stingers x2, Warriors of Ashra x2, Kaemon) vs. Tales of Valhalla (Monks x1, Woo, Sujoah, Fyorlags x1) on Desolation

ToV wanted to go with his own pods, which weren't quite as strong as mine. Warriors of Ashra also matched up very well into his all melee build. I won this one. 1-0

Game 2 (Van Nessing, Stingers x2, Phantoms x3, Marcu) vs. Muskie (Warriors of Ashra x2, Kaemon, Q10, Brute Gruts) on Blackridge

Muskie and I each took one of each of our pods. I first picked his Phantoms, then he went hardcounter to Phantoms with Q10 and Kaemon, so I took Stingers to counter those heroes. I deployed Nessing and Stingers, hoping to get some wounds on Q10 and Kaemon with two attacks of 5 with Divine Mission in Round 2 and finish off with Stingers. Nessing took three quick wounds from Kaemon, so that became very dangerous. Knowing I needed to get a bit lucky to kill these heroes before they got into the Phantoms, I switched over to straight Stingers for round 2. I won initiative, drained, and killed Kaemon in a single turn to remove two OMs, then killed Q10 in the two turns that followed. Brutal swing. From there Stingers rolled to victory and it didn't look close, but I was way down before the Drain. 2-0

Game 3 (Phantoms x4, Suskra, Concan) vs. BodaciousBlood (Stingers x2, Van Nessing, Kaemon, Warriors of Ashra) on Blackridge

BodaciousBlood was inspired by my OHS Quad Pod armies, so we had a very similar pods and a very strange draft. He won and took the Stingers and Nessing, threatening to take his own Stingers and Sentinels of Grax pod and assemble a terrifying army of Stingers x4. I countered by taking all the Phantoms. Bodacious countered by taking Kaemon and Ashra. The game got ugly quick. Bodacious's Kaemon quickly climbed to the 1-hex road perch on Blackridge and slowly took down every single Phantom. Suskra could not manage a wound, Concan instantly was popped with 2 4v4s when he came in to try to support Phantom attacks. This was the finals of this event as it only drew eight players, so I got the very cool custom Laglor order markers for second place. 2-1

------------------

VCHEESE REPORT

I went Heavies x4, Grimnak, Nerak, Raelin. I wanted to play a fast army knowing that the ScapeCon time limit could be tight, and I wanted to be able to beat Rats, and I liked the massive amount of defense from Nerak and Raelin.

Game 1 vs. Major Q23 (Cathar x3, Raelin, Krav, Hydra) on Aeon

Drawing Cathar first was not ideal. Heavies aren't great into them, but with only three squads it's very winnable. I gradually rolled Heavies up the center of Aeon, while Q23 took to his right, Raelin behind the ruin, going for Valda to boost his slow Cathar into position. At the end of round 3, he deployed Hydra very deep with Valda, launching 32 dice dice of 4v8 and 4v7 into Grimnak, of which Grimnak blocked all. I tried to get Hydra heads off to shut him down, but it took a very long time, and he blocked a lot of 5v8 and 4v8s. Eventually I got two off. I pushed Raelin forward, and sent Grimnak to the back side of the ruin where the Cathar were hiding. He tanked four Braced Spears, and then laid into the Cathar screen with the help of the Heavies. I broke through the Cathar and was charging into the Krav when time was called and I lost on partial card scoring points by 3. Frustrating way to lose since I pretty much had it, with Valda under my control, Hydra severely neutered, and the Krav screenless, but that's the format when timed. 0-1

Game 2 vs. MKPlusUltra (Dwarves x5, Darrak, Mogrimm) on Blackridge

Dwarves are on paper good against Grimnak, but Grimnak can support Heavies without always entering the front lines. Having Raelin is a massive edge in a matchup like this. I just camped in aura and rode higher defense to a victory. I think MK should have ridden the bonding heroes a bit more, because Mogrimm ended up doing a lot of work at the end once Grimnak finally died, but he played it pretty well. 1-1

Game 3 vs. Chris Perkins (Spiders x5, Raelin, Quahon, Marro Warriors) on Blackridge

Quahon's most feared matchup is usually melee bonding, but Heavies is not quite as bad as Knights or Dwarves. Chomp isn't that big against Spiders, and Grimnak is a little difficult to maneveur next to her to deliver lethal damage to the dragon. Chris did a great job keeping her safe with lots of LEAs, and I just couldn't find the kill I need until it was a little too late. It was still winnable, but I had just a single squad of Heavies left against the Marros. The Marros promptly gunned three of them down, but time was called. I won on points, by twenty or so, with a final 3v3 my Raelin vs. his Raelin on the last OM flipping the score in my favor. Most likely an unwinnable endgame with Marro Warriors into single attackers, but again, the limits of a timed format. Taking an L the other way made me feel slightly better taking a W this way, but it felt bad to knock Chris out like this. 2-1

Game 4 vs. Sir Heroscape (Deathchasers x6, Kuthnak, MBS, Nerak, Marcu) on Wingspan

I tested this build, a version with Raelin, and think it's amazing. Deathchasers with Kuthnak smash almost all builds that don't run Rats. Boiling Blood leads to a painful amount of attack dice and you just can't weather the storm forever. With no Raelin I think it's somewhat winnable, but I was going to need to get a bit lucky. Running low on Heavies to MBS pings and Boiling Bloods I left Raelin's aura to make a big play. I chomped 1 Chaser, and went for four attacks of 4v3 to try to land some kills and make a dent. I only got one of the kills, and Grimnak was promptly dropped by a single 6v5. Amazingly, my remaining few Heavies made a game of it, taking the game down to the last Chaser, but Sir H closed it out and advanced to the cut. 2-2

------------------

SHIFTING ALLIANCES REPORT

I went Stingers x3, Theracus and Axegrinders x2, Darrak, Marcu as my two army choices. I had never tested the format at all. I liked the idea of helping my teammate with Theracus. Axegrinders are just good, and a nice counter available to the large/huge Dragon builds that were running around. Stingers are good and can be nice ranged support to a melee teammate's build.

Game 1 (Axegrinders x2, Darrak, Marcu) with Teammate Deroche (Horned Skull Brutes x3) vs. OEAO (Badru x3, Werewolf Lord) and Mr Chompy (White Wyrmling x1, Red Wyrmling x2, Blue Wyrmling x2, Black Wyrmling x2) on Aeon

OEAO yoloed a bit too hard on Aeon and eliminated himself in three order markers. The Badru attempted two pounces on Dwarves, 5v3 and 5v4, and failed both. The last Badru died the next turn, and the Werewolf Lord was quickly pounded in later, leaving a 2v1 for Wyrmlings, which is a tall task. Axegrinders moving in with 6 move and the Brutes following up with Barge Into Battle was great synergy. 1-0

Game 2 (Axegrinders x2, Darrak, Marcu) with Teammate Phantom (Stingers x3, Sonya) vs. Deroche (Horned Skull Brutes x3) and Loki619 (Axegrinders x2, Darrak) on Wingspan

Having range was huge in this matchup. Phantom's Stingers climbed the perches on the left side while my Axegrinders flooded the right. My Darrak did great work in the central shadow of Aeon, stabbing through Brutes as the Stingers rained death on the approaching Axegrinders. 2-0

Game 3 (Stingers x3, Theracus) with Teammate Loki619 (Knights x2, Finn) vs. Chris Perkins (Braxas, Isamu) and Orange Mailman (Knights x2, Finn) on Wingspan

My plan was to recreate the last game on Wingspan but even better, so I took my Stingers this time and we went with Loki's Knights. I opened with Theracus seizing Wannok, taking a Knight with him. That drew some of Orange Mailman's Knights, who we took out with Stingers and the Theracus Knight, and put his Knights way behind on development. With the superior range of Stingers, we were able to slowroll our Knights outside our startzone to the right while the Stingers took the left. I failed a greedy Drain with my Stingers and Braxas had a 3/3 turn gassing them, but it didn't matter with Loki's Knights laying into her when she got too close to me. Braxas died and I still had four Stingers left, which was more than enough for the 2v1 against the remaining Knights. 3-0

I loved this format. It was so cool to play a team game with randomly assigned teammates. I loved how we were intentionally paired with people who we faced in previous games to beat and win with them. I loved working with my different teammates and teaching them things about the game and learning things from them.

Last edited by vegietarian18; July 17th, 2022 at 09:57 PM.
Old July 18th, 2022, 11:26 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Thanks for sharing, vegie.

I'm glad you liked the multiplayer format so much. I, too, love how it breaks open the game in a new way, and I also like how it feels (to me, anyway) like a more social event. I've used or seen some of those builds myself. The Wolves of Badru core is an interesting idea, because you don't give away points when they self-destruct. But each wolf is worth so much individually that you make yourself a target, too.

I love that PKs build. Got my first tournament win ever in an event that was this format, with PKs. I had success with a Laglor build once, too, but decided not to repeat it because it wasn't as much fun, for me.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old July 18th, 2022, 05:19 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Here Ya Go

Battle Reports

I think I remembered everything correctly but there might be some inconsistencies. Still fun time.

~Dysole, looking forward to the next one
Old July 21st, 2022, 11:07 AM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Made a separate thread where I'm gonna try to post my future battle reports also.

Have added everything except the Multiplayer & Team games so far. Hope to add those soon-ish also.
Old July 21st, 2022, 03:20 PM

CHAMPIONSHIP REPORT

This year I decided to run Spiders. I explored variants of my 2021 RtW favorite Heavies + Ornak + Heroes, but felt that at 420 points 2x Heavies Ornak Nerak was too strong of a core. Also, I always want to try new things in the Championship, because it's fun for each year to challenge you in different ways. I liked Spiders because I felt like in a meta of splash builds, the Spiders would make people uncomfortable on either side. Splash builds can really be picked apart by a Wyvern, but it requires knowledge of the mechanics of the Wyvern or you can lose him to a simple mistake. There's no order marker management in this army, but positioning the Wyverns well is not easy, and using the Spiders to keep them safe is not easy. I ended up playing 50 points short to try to hit my perceived read of the meta, which let me bust out an idea I've had for a very long time: unsummonable Rechets of Bogdan as comic relief filler. So, my build was:

Wyvern x2
Spiders x4
Otonashi
Rechets of Bogdan

Game 1 vs. Tales of Valhalla (Zombies x4, Johnny Shotgun Sullivan, Dund) on Odin Wept

Wild game to start the tournament for me. Spiders are incredibly bad into Zombies, since Zombies can feast on Spiders and turn them into a difficult to stop tide of undead. I had to play the Spiders extremely cautiously, reversing the normal order of this army. Usually Spiders protect Wyverns, but here the big body of the Wyvern was there to protect Spiders. I would grab one Zombie, pull him into a horde of Zombies, and eat it with them. ToV rolled very poorly on 2v3 Zombie attacks, and repeatedly failed to kill the few Spiders he could get to. He only managed one revive the entire game. Eventually, Johnny and the Zombies were no more, and Dund came out to play. He gave me a scare when he Crippling Gazed off an entire round of OMs after winning initiative, but I spread my turns afterwards and eventually hit Dund with a 6/6 skull Ulaniva Height Venomous Sting that ended the game. W, 1-0

Game 2 (Reverse) vs. infectedsloth (Arrow Gruts x4, Ice Troll, Raelin, Swog x3) on Aeon

Rematch of the 2019 Gencon finals in game 2. Despite IS being one of the best players there, I felt pretty good about my chances. Wyverns are usually pretty good at dissecting this sort of pod, but Swogs can't be picked up, and Arrows can churn through Spiders without a whole lot of trouble. I set up Ice Troll just outside my startzone on the road, threatening Wyverns on either side of the Aeon circle road. IS slowrolled spiders. I then pushed forward aggressively with some Arrows and Swogs, feeling like I had a little margin for error and wanting to prevent IS from megaslowrolling the Spiders across the board, since I felt that was the main way I could lose this game, if they overwhelmed me in a single offensive. The early trades were maybe not in my favor, since I lost some Arrows and a Swog, but I accomplished my goal of fishing in Wyverns a bit. IS dove one Wyvern deep on to Raelin, pushing her to the back of my startzone, which put many of my figures out of her aura. Immediately after, I hit a big Ice Troll Charge that allowed Ice Troll to circle back around my main horde of figures, return to Raelin's aura, and hit the Wyvern that was hitting my kyrie. The first Wyvern went down to Ice Troll, and the second Wyvern didn't have the space to do much. My last Swog really held out which gave me more than enough hitting power to close it out. W, 2-0

Game 3 vs. Sir Artorious (Greenscales x2, Othkurik, Tandros) on Odin Wept

My dad ran Othkurik this year, and we tested with Tandros often, so I had some idea how I wanted this to go. I blitzed with one Wyvern after he got an opening on to Othkurik, taking a 5v4 on Othkurik with a Wyvern on OM2 of the game. That strike got one wound, and some Spider attacks got another, but the Wyvern died before it could get the final wound on the dragon after I lost initiative. Luckily, in the next round, Sir A only had a single OM on Greenscales, which allowed me to stage an initiative switch play into round 3 and safely land the final wound on Othkurik. It was a still a game though. Tandros is a beast against Spiders, easily able to cleave two a turn, or cleave one and get a wound on the Wyvern, but I had a Wannok on board. My last few Spiders and the Wyvern just ground out Tandros, throwing him into a hole and taking shots until I bled him for 7 wounds. W, 3-0

Game 4 (Reverse) vs. samuelfrost4 (Brunak, Nakitas, Raelin, Major X17, Otonashi) on Wingspan

Despite looking like a pile of garbage, this army is legit. Well it's legit against melee. This matchup was honestly really bad for Spiders. X17 can claw Wyverns, Brunak can't get picked up, and the Nakitas are a nice damage dealer to draw the Wyverns into that. I opened by developing the pod on to the famous Q9 area of Wingspan, with X17 and Brunak kind of just chilling together waiting for the action to happen. Sam was a little too aggressive with his first Wyvern and I popped it with two consecutive turns of Nakitas. The second Wyvern played more cautiously, working his way to Raelin and killing her in two shots, but he was locked down by X17 and slain. From there the Spiders didn't have enough in the tank. They managed to polish off the Nakitas but X17 and Brunak rode to victory across the board. W, 4-0

Game 5 vs. Chris Perkins (Guilty, White Wyrmling, Red Wyrmling, Black
Wyrmling, Blue Wyrmling, Raelin, Kozuke Samurai, Phantoms x1, Otonashi) on Aeon

Chris went for the world record on cards in an army with this 9-carder. Wyrmlings are kind of cheating, but I'll give it to him. This game ended up being kind of a comical stomp. Like our third place game last year, Chris opened full Guilty and was swiftly punished for it. Guilty got his OM1 and shot down a Spider, but he was subsequently talon grabbed and smashed out of the game by Wyverns and Spiders, while another Spider seized the move glyph. Then, on my two free turns, I used the move glyph to talon grab Raelin, pull her into a hole deep away from the startzone, and I hit a 4/4 Venomous Sting on her. Game was pretty much over there; Chris made the right play to try to come back with the Kozuke but I won round 2 initiative as well and shut that down. The rest of the game was just me eating his startzone. W, 5-0

Game 6 (Reverse) vs. Dragon Ruler (Sacred Band x2, Marcus, Tandros, Red Wyrmling x3) on Aeon

I was the last 5-0 after five rounds. There was a small chance I was playing for a bye, but I was mostly playing to preserve my perfect record into Day 2. I opened by developing Tandros but probably not enough, because his Combat Challenge was never relevant. I felt like Wyrmlings were too slow for this matchup so I abandoned them, going straight Greeks to try to mash with the Spiders. It really just wasn't enough Greeks. Dragon Ruler very smartly grabbed Marcus and smashed him in first, which left the Greeks nonbonding, non-attack boosted, and 4 move. They managed to clear out some Spiders, but not a ton. I had a luckily-timed OM on the two Red Wyrmlings in my startzone to finish off one of the Wyverns, and then it came to Tandros vs. 1 Wyvern and 5ish Spiders. Close duel, and Tandros controlled Wannok area and thus could force the fight. He got the fight he wanted, 1v1 on level ground with the last Wyvern with only 1 Spider left, but the Wyvern hit a huge Sting to seal the game. L, 5-1

Thoughts before going into Day 2: I don't know how I feel about my army. I think I'm about in the middle of power curve, maybe slightly low, which is good. I think it's mechanically intensive and requires good decision making with the Wyverns, which is good. Both of those things are double-edged swords though, and I think I could lose or win either side of many matchups. Not knowing my opponent makes that a little more unclear, although I think it's ultimately to my advantage since people won't have an evening to prep to play Wyverns. We'll see how it goes.

Top 16 (Reverse) vs. Deroche (Romans x2, Me-Burq-Sa, Raelin, Red Wyrmling x2, Black Wyrmling x2, Shiori) on Blackridge

I hadn't looked at this army too much, but it was a pretty good draw. I opened straight Wyrmlings because I didn't expect to be able to use them much once the Wyvern offensive began, so might as well squeeze some value out early. Deroche made a mistake on his first turn, putting the Wyvern next to the height perch on the road on Blackridge. I dropped a Black Wyrmling on that spot and took a 4v4. The first one failed, but he blocked the Wyverns attack and the Black's second strike drew 2 wounds. To make it worse, the Red Wyrmling fired from range and dropped 2 more wounds. With one Wyvern instantly down I was feeling pretty good. I picked off a few Spiders, retreated into my shell, and rode the Romans to victory. W, on to top 8

Top 8 vs. ISB3 (Cutters x3, Kurrok, Water Elemental x4, Air Elemental) on Odin Wept

Super cool army by ISB3 here, using the value creation of Kurrok to turn the Water Elementals into an endgame threat, and the Cutters as a powerful offensive screen. I feared the Cutters a lot, because they could do some serious damage into the low defense Spiders even without mob attack. My first Wyvern and about half my Spiders went down taking out most of the Cutters, which was more than I wanted to lose. The Water Elementals were staged in a very difficult to get to area, immediately outside of ISB3's startzone behind the 3-hex glacier. the Cutters were taking attacks of their own, so I tried to clean them up and limit how often Waters could shoot me. The last few Cutters continued to Scurry to the same two spots on Odin Wept to deny Spiders an easy path to the Waters. Eventually though, the game came down to one big initiative switch play that I had to make. I was down to 4 Spiders and a single Wyvern, vs. ISB3 with 3 Waters, finally unprotected, and Kurrok. If I can win it, my Spiders can charge in and hopefully start limiting Water activations. But ISB3 won it, and gunned for Spiders, who had all my OMs. He killed on all 3 attacks, and the Wyvern was left alone and dropped by Water Elementals the turn following. L, eliminated

Final Thoughts: Tough loss. I thought I played my elimination game well, and ISB3 played it well, but it was type the kind of game comes down to a single roll that I lost. It's sad because ISB3 has now beat me twice on Day 2, the only player to do so, and the other defeat in 2018 was also on a 50/50 I lost. But I think he clearly outplayed me on that first one while this was an evenly played game that someone had to win. Day 2 is just really hard to win. Ultimately I'm still really happy at how I played Spiders, think it was a good choice for the format. Maybe one could argue that I didn't need to play 50 short in any of my RtW games, and an extra 50 points would definitely have come in handy in my final game. But there's always some meta-guessing, and I was decently in the ballpark. 6-2 is a really good record for RtW.
Old July 21st, 2022, 05:46 PM

RULE OF 9 REPORT

I was going to run TKN in this, but I played a practice game against Flash_19 where he ran Dwarves x2, Darrak, Stingers x3, and Crixus against me and won. I really liked that build, so I copied it and went with it.

Game 1 vs. Gucci_Boost (Deathchasers x3, Nerak, MBS, Stingers x3, Marcu) on Blackridge
This was a really interesting game that I think I played wrong. Knowing that he had a little more in the tank with his melee bonding, I probably should have opened Stingers, planning to thin out the Chasers enough for the Dwarves to sweep the Stingers. But instead I opened Dwarves. The game played out relatively reasonably. My Dwarves did okay into Chasers, making quick work of the heroes, but the 4v3 Chaser attacks on to Dwarves hurt. One Chaser snuck his way to my startzone, blocked a 3v2 from a Dwarf, and killed two Stingers, which put me behind. My Stingers had to get lucky, so I drained a lot and got it, and got a huge initiative switch two, with Gucci at 5 Stingers and me at 3. I decided not to drain, opting for 4v3s to try to cripple the Stingers, but all attacks failed and I fell apart on the other side. Crixus made it close, but he died to the final Stinger, before Marcu came out. I sincerely do regret not Draining on that final attack, since I needed to get lucky to win being down. L, 0-1

Game 2 vs. Nicktheant (Phantoms x3, Braxas, MBS) on Desolation
I thought this was a favorable matchup. With how the last game went, I opened Stingers. I didn't drain, just put some consistent damage on Braxas, but she did good work into the Stingers before she was dropped. Still, I liked eight Dwarves and Crixus into nine Phantoms. But the Dwarves just did not do well. They on almost whiffed every single 3v3 defense roll and the Phantoms blitzed them out of the game. I tried to make a comeback with Crixus, and he made it close, but he died to the last Phantom and MBS. 0-2

Game 4 (after a bye) vs. Ultralord (Stingers x3, Hydra, Krav, Marcu) on Percolator
I opened with Dwarves this time, charging them with 6 move up the Percolator hills and seizing the move glyph. I cleared out some Stingers early with lucky blocks, and then things got out of hand. I started rolling down the Percolator hill with fast Dwarves and Darrak, stabbing whatever was in my way, and there wasn't much response. 1-2

SPEEDSCAPE SECOND HEAT REPORT

After my elimination from the Championship, I joined the second Speedscape heat. I went Cutters x4, Romans x3 MBS, Venocs x5, Stingers x3 Marcu. I thought that was a solid group of powerhouse 200 point builds.

Game 1 (Romans x3, MBS) vs. Chris Perkins (Venocs x5) on Blackridge
Fate would not stop letting me get favorable situations against Chris this weekend. Venocs can frenzy, but frenzying into shield wall isn't great, and MBS is a great tool to blast Vipers before they can get into you. I played a conservative game and won. W, 1-0

Game 2 (Stingers x3, Marcu) vs. Dysole (Blades x2, Grimnak) on Odin Wept
I think this is a pretty favorable matchup for Blades honestly. Dysole somewhat overstepped Grimnak on her OM1, so I moved up my first three activated Stingers and blasted Grimnak with 3 4v4s on my OM2. I debated Drain, decided not to, and killed Grimnak anyway since I rolled 3/4 skulls on every attack. W, 2-0

Game 3 (Venocs x5) vs. HoundsRule (10th x2, Tarn) on Desolation
I was really hoping to draw Cutters for the finals since I thought that was my best build, but instead I drew Vipers, who were my worst build. Luckily, fate blessed me the other way and I rolled a lot of Frenzies. Not much else to say. 10th are a pretty terrible matchup for Vipers, but Vipers can beat anything if you Frenzy five times in a 200 point game. W, 3-0

GENERAL WARS REPORT

I went Dwarves x4, Darrak, Raelin, Zetacron. I felt like Aquilla should be pretty open to win the General, but also that this build had a solid chance to win the event. I did not win the event or my general, but Viideosayg did well, so I think I was on the right track.

Game 1 vs. boromir96 (10th x4, Guilty, Raelin, Zeta) on Percolator
Nightmare matchup out of the gate. I tried my best to make it a game but did not come close. I slowrolled every single Dwarf out of my startzone, staging up on the plateau of Percolator waiting for a big moment. Raelin took wounds from 10th as I advanced Dwarves up. Unfortunately, I could not lose initiative, so I had to go in without the possibility of a switch, and to make things worse despite taking Dagmar on my switch turn I still lost initiative. Darrak rolled an insane 5 consecutive Hide in Darknesses but it was irrelevant, and the Dwarves were soundly defeated. L, 0-1

Game 2 vs. Dragon Ruler (Dwarves x4, Darrak, Kaemon) on Desolation
To have any chance at winning Aquilla, I had to win this game. I thought it was a favorable matchup, because Raelin can tilt melee vs. melee builds, but Kaemon is good. I got off to an okay early lead, but made a mistake when I advanced my Raelin up to try to push forward into Kaemon. I sent her next to a Dwarf, hoping to kill and thin out the troops a little. She failed, and Darrak got next to her on a path I didn't see it, and used that Dwarf to drop a 6/7 skull sneak attack that instantly killed her. Oops. I made a little bit of a comeback but Dragon Ruler won on time with a Kaemon and a couple Dwarves left against Zeta. L, 0-2

Game 3 vs. Nicktheant (Stingers x5, Marro Warriors, Eltahale) on Desolation
This similar to my game against Boromir, but instead of a bad matchup when I crashed in, it was pretty favorable. I slow rolled Dwarves, and when I felt deployed enough, I sent them into Stingers and they easily won the trades with 5 attacks into 3. Eltahale did okay but not enough. W, 1-2

Game 4 vs. Trivia Knight (Knights x3, Gilbert, Eldgrim, Marro Warriors, Mezzos x1) on Wingspan
Knights are always tough for Dwarves to deal with and Trivia Knight played an excellent game. He slowrolled up Knights and trade them somewhat favorably into Dwarves, chipping away at Raelin. Mezzos x1 did great work, holding some good perches with strong defense rolls. It came down to a couple Dwarves and Darrak into the last few Marro Warriors, and the Marros pulled it out. L, 1-3

TEAM TOURNAMENT REPORT

I teamed up with Boromir96 and Vegie Dad. We listened to Boromir for army selection and he did an excellent job. I played Tor-Kul-Na, Nagrubs x3, Syvarris. Despite my protests that I needed Nagrubs x4 or x5, Syvarris is an asset in this format. My dad played Hounds x4, Zetacron, which is just the best army in this format. And Boromir went with a very complimentary Arrow Grut build, Arrow x4, Swog x1, Mimring, Krug. That build was solid into everything. Our entire pool matched up well into Zombies which I realy liked.

Game 1 vs. Gingerkid16 (Zombies x5, Syvarris) on Odin Wept
Zombies are not great for TKN to see, and Syvarris isn't either. Zombies pushed their way on to Ulaniva, and his OM3, Syvarris dropped a quick 3 wounds on to TKN. I retreated and healed up, but it was very scary. My TKN managed to eat 5 Nagrubs throughout the game, which was great into the undead horde.I charged in without Nagrubs as they were all dead, but TKN managed to block 6v5s pretty well, and killed Syvarris in one shot. I won with 3 wounds on TKN. Meanwhile, Boromir lost to Brean of Philly's Hounds but my dad beat Vydar's Sacred Band to win us the series. 1-0

Game 2 vs. Master Roshi (Microcorp x3, Laglor) on Desolation
We picked this matchup, but Desolation was a great board pick for the Microcorp. Lots of flat height for them to pop on to, and lots of swamp water for extra defense. Again, I took lots of wounds with TKN and was on the back foot. The game-winning play was in Round 2; with TKN at 4 wounds, Master Roshi tries two LEAs from Nagrubs with Micorcorp to get to height for a chance to finish him off. Both LEAs hit, both Micros fail Stealth Suit. The Microcorp failed every Stealth Suit the whole game and I still barely won. Meanwhile, my dad beat UnseenShadow's Zombies and Boromir finished the series sweep over Triva Knight's Minions. 2-0.

Game 3 vs. JohnnyFrisbee (Cutters x3, Krug, Nakitas) on Blackridge
This was a close matchup that JohnnyFrisbee played well to a dominant win. Using a well-placed Krug and the Ulaniva glyph itself as defense, it was almost impossible for TKN to reach the Nakitas. So I abandoned the Nakitas, and charged sleeping Cutters in the startzone. I did okay work, but failed some big Stomps. The Nagrubs melted, the Nakita picked off Syv, so I had to make a desperate play to charge Nakitas on the glyph. I smacked Krug on initiatve switch, trying to one-shot him, and got 4 wounds, but lost init. Then Krug failed two 6v2s on my last Nagrub so I got to have a turn. I ate the Nagrub, tried to kill a Nakita, failed, and TKN was gunned down by Nakitas after. I lost, but luckily my teammates pulled out wins, Boromir beating EarlOfSandwich's Zombies, and my dad beating GucciBoost's Mohicans. 3-0

Game 4 vs. Dysole (Hounds x3, Red Wyrmling x3, White Wyrmling)
We got to set the matchup, and seeing a solid chance for my team to clinch the series without me, I was the sacrificial lamb. My dad got Hounds into Evantage's Zombies, which is basically a free win, and Boromir got a very favorable matchup into Chris Perkins, with Mimring into Cutters and Krug into Charos. I still made this a game, thanks to Syvarris sniping four Hounds in my first four OMs. But TKN got torn up by Wyrmlings, with some poor defense rolls, and I lost to 2 Wyrmlings and one Hound. My teammates closed out their games in convincing fashion so we took home the title. 4-0

FINAL RESULTS

My end score for the weekend was 18-10, not counting team tournament, where my team went 4-0 but I went 2-2. Not sure how you want to count that one. I say 4-0 because my team won. Overall a solid record in a weird way. I was a bit sad to do poorly in VCheese and General Wars and Rule of 9 since I liked all of those formats. But I did great in Shifting Alliances and Speedscape and Team Tournament, none of which I prepared much for, but no one else really did either. From my various three tournament wins and Top 8 in Championship, I netted 37 prize dice, which is my personal record that I doubt I will ever break (I do not have all those dice now and will have less in the future). Any time you have a record above .500 at ScapeCon you have to be proud in my opinion, since this is a stacked player base. Had a really good time and I can't wait for next year.
Old July 26th, 2022, 03:55 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Made a separate thread for my reports. So far I have VC Delta, VCheese and Main event up.

Tournament Record:124-50 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Last edited by boromir96; July 26th, 2022 at 06:48 PM.
Old July 26th, 2022, 04:05 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
RULE OF 9 REPORT

We picked this matchup, but Desolation was a great board pick for the Microcorp. Lots of flat height for them to pop on to, and lots of swamp water for extra defense. Again, I took lots of wounds with TKN and was on the back foot. The game-winning play was in Round 2; with TKN at 4 wounds, Master Roshi tries two LEAs from Nagrubs with Micorcorp to get to height for a chance to finish him off. Both LEAs hit, both Micros fail Stealth Suit. The Microcorp failed every Stealth Suit the whole game and I still barely won. Meanwhile, my dad beat UnseenShadow's Zombies and Boromir finished the series sweep over Triva Knight's Minions. 2-0.

"The Microcorp failed every Stealth Suit the whole game"

:'(
Old July 27th, 2022, 06:46 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Roshi View Post
Quote:
RULE OF 9 REPORT

They were compensating for our matchup when they rolled 44% on stealth suit (expected is 30%) and I missed all three LEAs.
Old July 30th, 2022, 03:39 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Roshi View Post
Quote:
RULE OF 9 REPORT

They were compensating for our matchup when they rolled 44% on stealth suit (expected is 30%) and I missed all three LEAs.
They were slippin' and slidin' everywhere that game. Fun to play when you role well but frustrating when you don't

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > ScapeCon