Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old March 20th, 2022, 10:12 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: [Pod 1] PYRIA (Chandra Nalaar, Pyromancer) - Playtesting

While I'm suggesting basic stats... 5/7/4/5.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 15th, 2023, 10:37 PM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Ran a test with Pyria yesterday. Note that I played Pyria as Medium 4, which had a significant effect on this map - Medium 4 seemed like the right height after comparing her to hexes instead of checking what you all had in the OP

Map: Sear by Dignan
Glyphs: 2 defense glyphs, 2 random treasure glyphs

Army 1: Pyria, Brunak, Ornak, Blade Gruts x3 (450 pts)
Army 2: Mimring, Otar, Arrow Gruts x3, Swog Rider x3, Brute Gruts (455 pts)

Which units survived?
2 Arrow Gruts, Mimring with 4 wounds, Otar with 1 wound, Brute Gruts

Mimring got onto the bridge in the first turn and started roasting Blade Gruts, while Brunak took one defense glyph and got Pyria to the bridge, where she pinged a Swog. Mimring tried tying up Pyria while firelining Brunak and sleeping gruts, but she hopped the bridge and got to the rock on the other side. Arrow Gruts tried to bring her down but she was rolling 4 defense dice with height and she wrecked havoc. Eventually Otar rolled in and pulled her off her perch, and then she fell pretty quickly, but not after dealing considerable damage. Mimring had destroyed Ornak and probably half the blade gruts, and eventually won a tense and drawn out duel with Brunak, and from there it was just about wiping out the last gruts.

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?
Twin Flamethrower is a beast. 2 3-skull attacks and a 2 skull attack did some serious damage. It was a interesting mechanic positioning figures around Pyria trying to minimize her ability to move around while also minimizing the potential damage from her special attack. I am wondering tho, can Pyria attack a non-adjacent figure with one fire-line while she is attack an engaged figure with the other fireline? (That's how I played it)

Pyria destroyed 4 Arrow Gruts, 2 Swog Riders, and put 4 wounds on Mimring (220-ish points of damage?)

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

Pyria can do a lot of damage. This was probably a strong map for her, where Brunak can get her on the bridge with a defense glyph on turn one. Still, Pyria does a lot. Her normal attack with its range has some nice utility. I don't think that decreasing her range to 6 would be a bad idea. Plus, Twin Flamethrower has some nice versatility in comparison to Mimring's original Fireline: It can reach figures as far apart as 7 hexes, and you don't need to worry about accidentally hitting your own figures that are behind a figure 3 spaces away. Mimring's greater threat range is obviously a big deal, but it's something to keep in mind.
The Ornak army probably would have been stronger with a Fen Hydra.
I think she feels quite nice as an Archmage - a somewhat beefy-if-squishy hero with some offensive potential. to that point, I don't think Death Knight bonding is a good direction for this design. I don't think an Archmage should have that sort of explicit synergy, afterall, I think its arguable that part of Sonlen's design is that he's NOT a wizard.
Points-wise, 120 is certainly in the right range, but I'd need to play her some more to get a better feel.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help this project get rolling! I'll try to get some more testing on Pyria in, and then maybe Ozuul.

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Maklar the Silver Prince's Customs
Old January 16th, 2023, 02:29 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I could be wrong but I think when she is engaged she can only make fire lines from the spaces of figures she's engaged with.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old January 17th, 2023, 05:37 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maklar the Silver Prince View Post
I am wondering tho, can Pyria attack a non-adjacent figure with one fire-line while she is attack an engaged figure with the other fireline? (That's how I played it).
That's a good question. I'm not entirely certain of the answer. She must attack the engaged figure, that's for certain, but is she free to attack elsewhere as long as that condition is met? I actually think the answer may be different with a non-target attack like Fireline as opposed to a two-target ranged attack.
Old January 31st, 2023, 11:55 AM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I think Caps interpretation of the special attack makes sense. But yeah, I think it's a good question to get a solid rules answer to. After doing so comparisons, I'll reiterate that I think the figure warrants a Medium 4 height. Been sitting on a couple tests for a while. Poor results for Pyria, some interesting gameplay decisions tho.

Map: Calida by Superfrog
Glyphs: 2 random power glyphs

Army 1: Pyria, Brunak, Ornak, Heavy Gruts x2, Marcu (490 pts)
Army 2: Macdirks x3, Alastair Macdirk, Thorgrim, Johnny "Shotgun" (495 pts)

Which units survived?
Game 1: Alastair with 4 wounds, 7 Macdirks, Thorgrim, and Johnny "Shotgun"
Game 2: Alastair with 5 wounds, 6 Macdirks, Thorgrim, and Johnny "Shotgun"

Game 1 I lead with Brunak and Pyria. Could have nuked the Macdirk startzone on turn 1, but instead I opted to take height and take a potshot in order to avoid getting wacked by Alastair. Turn two Pyria retreated to more height, and the same for turn 3. She managed to get two Macdirks, and I left her on the lava rock height. But a round 3 overextend from Alastair got some wounds on her and a lucky Macdirk got her up to 5 wounds. She died from the lava damage at the end of the round. Alastair Macdirk got some more wounds and retreated, and the Macdirks rolled over the rest of the army.

Game 2 I played Pyria more conservatives, using round 1 to develop the Heavy Gruts. Alastair grabbed a Move Glyph with a risky over-extend, but a round 2 initiative switch had Brunak and Pyria on top of him. Pyria sat back on height and used her normal attack for 2 wounds, to put Alastair up to 4 wounds. But Alastair dug himself out of the hole, one-shotting Brunak, and overextending to take out the grut blocking the road. Macdirks gummed up the works in front of him and killed Pyria and her order marker with their 7 attack. Alastair was able to flee and the 7 attack highlanders rolled over the Gruts again.

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?
Took 5 turns with Pyria (6 OMs) between the two games and didn't use her special attack once. Had an opportunity to roast 4 Macdirks on turn 1 of the first game but I didn't think Pyria would stand up to 2 attacks of 5 from Alastair and 4 attacks of 3 from the Macdirks. So I sat back and used her normal attack.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?
Pyria was bizarrely bad against this Macdirk army. Maybe I was playing her poorly? Maybe the Ornak army just isn't good? I'm not sure. In any case, I think I kind of like her normal attack with 7r/3a. Her base stats are nice and restrained, I think.

Old January 31st, 2023, 11:19 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

I'm surprised she doesn't have Lava Resistance.
Old February 6th, 2023, 06:06 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
I'm not. She's a medium elf wizard type character.

Thanks for the test @Maklar the Silver Prince ! I suspect that in that matchup she needs either a screen or some kind of diversion to keep the attention off of her. To me she is a Mimring/Incendiborg type character that should stay at maximum range and use the flashier side of her abilities as more of a last resort.

--
--
--

--
Old February 6th, 2023, 07:36 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
Quote:
Well, she's literally covered in flames, so I'd figure she'd have lava resistance.
Old February 6th, 2023, 09:05 PM

Talking Re: [Pod 1] PYRIA (Chandra Nalaar, Pyromancer) - Playtesting

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
Quote:
Well, she's literally covered in flames, so I'd figure she'd have lava resistance.
they're magic flames. Or maybe only her arms and hair are fire-resistant and she's no good at handstands.

@caps Yeah, I tried to play the Heavy Gruts as a screen for Pyria in the second game, which didn't work out partially due to Alastair's lucky rolling, partially due to my inexperience with Ornak. She's got a serious allergy to lots of attack dice, like any low-defense unit. I think the utility of her normal attack at range is quite a nice design piece - now I'm hoping that it's not the case where the special attack won't get used until the endgame (which I don't think is the case, because it's a chance to hit multiple figure with 4 attack).

Any thoughts on the whole death knight bonding thing? Have we gotten a test with a Pyria+Death Knights+Boreos army?

Old March 22nd, 2023, 04:41 PM

Could we get an updated list of playtests? The OP shows the 9th test (by me) as the most recent but I see at least two since then.

--
--
--

--
Old March 26th, 2023, 08:49 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Did @Scytale take over these OPs in place of @Astroking112 ? Would it help if it were someone else (since Scy does all the checklists)?

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old March 27th, 2023, 10:26 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Did @Scytale take over these OPs in place of @Astroking112 ? Would it help if it were someone else (since Scy does all the checklists)?
I don't remember taking over any OPs, but it seems I own a bunch of them now.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs