Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old July 3rd, 2014, 02:56 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Re: Playtesting Your Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post
Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but BOOTCAMPS OF VALHALLA put together a card and playtesting has stalled a bit there:

So any input you can give would be helpful for sure.
<snip>
Very helpful, thanks! Wish I could rep you but evidently I've been giving out too much in your direction...

Definitely linking this in the main thread. Hopefully it stirs the troops a bit.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 04:24 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC McMinis View Post
Here is one I would not mind help playtesting. This is my first attempt at an uncommon hero and I havent had a chance to playtest it.

Uncommon heroes are an interesting lot. The majority of the time, particularly with their introduction in D&D 'Scape, they really might as well have been unique heroes. It is not often that you will draft two Frost Giants in the same army, for instance. Occasionally, however, there are some instances where you might want two or more and can get away with it, particularly when their is a bonding option available. Looking at his left hand side, this bonding option with the Death Chasers of Thesk will certainly be important for testing. Otherwise the fact that Otonashi has a bonus to her attack against him is quite insignificant.

On the right hand side of the card, his main stats are identical to the very same bonding pulverizer, so we must see what we can take for granted their and what differences we need to test. His power differs from his bretheren, however, in lacking the powerful bonus of a Double
Attack and also the downside of Lumbering Bully. Instead he has Gang Attack, which further encourages drafting him with multiple Ogre Brutes and can elevate him to an attack of 6 against the attacked figure, a potent hero killer but challenging to set up with single activation heroes.

As far as testing him goes, he is a nigh strictly worse option than the Ogre Pulverizer without drafting multiples. Perhaps he gets a slight leg up against particularly defensive foes like the Warriors of Ashra, but largely we must draft multiple in order to see any sort of benefit. Furthermore, single activating Uncommon heroes where you have to juggle around order markers will prove a challenge, meaning the bulk of our tests should focus around playing them with the Death Chasers of Thesk. With at least two squads of the orcs and at least two Ogres in the army, we are looking at a minimum playable army of around 310 pts. In truth, we'd probably want more points still to try to round out the army with more squads, another ogre, and with other popular hero options like Me-Burq-Sa for range and Nerak for some added defense. With these sorts of armies, we are probably more realistically looking at 500+ to get something competitive going.

As far as the opponent is concerned, try them against the usual pods of competitive foes. The Death Chasers in general can do quite well punching through more elite squads with mid to high defense can slice down heroes in short order. The Ogre Brutes in particular would probably fair best trying to team up against an elite target, most likely meaning that you'll have to juggle your activations to keep them all within threat range. If facing an powerful foe like Jotun or Q9, you could first engage with one ogre and take an attack of 4, even taking engagement strikes in order to get there. On the next turn, you can activate another ogre to now get in a more damaging attack of 5 and even have an option for 6 on the third turn if need be. Similarly, the Deathchasers will have issues with opponents that can get multiple attacks and cut through them before they have a chance to wreak havoc. The ogres probably won't be as much help against the likes of frenzying vipers or the 8 squad figure activation of a Harbeque army if they are getting swarmed and only getting 1 attack a turn. Some Deathchaser builds can actually play more defensively, but finding room for Nerak, Raelin, and Me-Burq-Sa will be a challenge when drafting at least to ogre brutes.

In any case, these would be the zones in which to focus your testing. I would also consider trying them out in the Heat of Battle format which can be particularly friendly to the likes of the Death Chasers and melee bonding heroes like the Ogre Brutes. I hope this is helpful for getting started.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 04:45 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Weirdscaper View Post
Agent Carr (version 2)

Enjoy.
Agent Carr is one of my favorite heroes. He has so much cool factor going for him. Unfortunately, despite all his whistles and bells, he's just not that powerful of a unit and lacks the survivability necessary to quite earn his keep. This upgrade is strictly speaking a stronger unit, with identical left and right hand sides of the card except costing a significant 60 pts higher. Phantom Walk remains as an update to two old powers while Sword of Reckoning stands as a 1 die upgrade on his melee attack, making him slightly more deadly once there. Pot Shot gives him a significant boost to his range attack and can allow him to run and gun more reliably to whittle down his foes before it is time for a Reckoning.

As far as army construction goes, Agent Carr would receive the movement bonus from Agent Skahen's Cover fire. The two already elevate you to a whopping 280 pts, however. Otherwise, with his abilities, it would be useful to test him within armies that are capable of keeping the attacks of him, like using Deathreavers, while Agent Carr can operate with impunity and ambush prime targets with his devastating attack. Otherwsie, it would be worth considering Agent Carr in dungeon crawl or Heroes only formats where only getting single activations is less painful. There he could use Potshot to full effect to try to outpace the enemy and wear them down from afar before charging in with his massive sword.

As far as opponents are concerned, ranged squads will undoubtedly prove an issue for him. Being able to cut him down from afar with only a single attack of 2 to answer to will be a bad match up for the agent. Similarly, the likes of Gladiatrons or even the Air Elemental can work to halt Agent Carr and limit him from hunting down priority targets. In typical formats, taking down a key figure will be one of his most valuable points. If he can manage to close the distance, few can stop him from taking a massive attack of 7 to the likes of Q9 and hopefully end the soulborg in a single swing. Agent Carr may then be quickly surrounded and killed after that, but you are coming out ahead as long as he takes down a higher point total or more integral figure. Even sacrificing Carr for taking out Raelin, who is half his cost, may be necessary to turn the tides of battle in your favor.

Ultimately, any test we do should focus on the fact that he has an additional attack or additional range. If we are limited to not take advantage of this, then he is functioning exactly like Agent Carr for 60 more points.
Old July 9th, 2014, 12:23 PM
If it doesn't use 20+ sets, you're not doing it right!

Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr. Weirdscaper is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanky. (+rep)

Do you think I should have made the points lower, like maybe 140?

Keep in mind, when I was working on this, I didn't want this new version of Agent Carr to render the original obsolete. I wanted it to be an even trade off. Less points vs harder hitting Sword of Reckoning and the range boost.
Old July 9th, 2014, 03:47 PM

I had the chance to run a few games with Marshall. To put it most simply, he costs a lot.

Match 1: Lost
Spoiler Alert!

Match 2: Devastating Loss
Spoiler Alert!

While I wouldn't go as far to say that I have extensively tested him and really know what Marshall is all about, even a few tests like this can nevertheless help you gain a feel for the unit. I haven't tried all possible strategies so I can't say for certain, but my best guess is that Marshall is over-priced for a competitive environment.

Being able to move 6 warforged or move some individuals 10 spaces is not bad, it's a benefit that is most useful in the beginning of the game. As turns progress, it becomes more and more valuable to take turns with those warforged instead and get some more useful attacks rather than necessarily tie up OMs into Marshall.

There are definitely some match ups where charging in with a few warforged immediately or quickly claiming key glyphs can be more helpful, but this seems to be pretty match up and map dependent.

Again, things come back to his cost. Marshall is 180 pts. In order to make use of his power, you should really have at least 3 or 4 squads of Warforged and perhaps heroes to boot. This quickly places you in the range of some more expensive armies where you'd be facing more costly opponents, and opponent's armies at higher point totals are more likely to have either massed squads (which can likely win a war of attrition against the warforged) or more elite units (whose higher attacks more easily bypass warforged resolve).

I think he's interesting and provides a fun benefit, it's just a real challenge to have come together in a more competitive environment from what I can tell. I hope this is helpful.
Old July 9th, 2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Weirdscaper View Post
Thanky. (+rep)

Do you think I should have made the points lower, like maybe 140?

Keep in mind, when I was working on this, I didn't want this new version of Agent Carr to render the original obsolete. I wanted it to be an even trade off. Less points vs harder hitting Sword of Reckoning and the range boost.
I don't exactly intend for this to be a work-shop thread, but I'd recommend using the remade Raelin and Sgt Drake as examples of second versions of heroes. Neither of them outclass their previous versions with their upgrades. It is by their nature of costing more that they behave and fit differently in different armies. For this particular case, I'd look at Sgt Drake 2.0. He is faster, tougher, has better maneuverability, and has a ranged special attack. He gets quite a few things for his 60 point upgrade while not necessarily "outclassing" the original since the original is so much cheaper.

Your Agent Carr upgrades, in contrast, are relatively minor for the same point increase. These changes probably wouldn't lead to such a large point swing, where we'd probably need to see some more speed and survivability at the very least to justify that (two things that Agent Carr probably needs to perform a bit better).
Old July 13th, 2014, 09:35 PM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Do you think that Marshall would have performed differently/better with a ranged option in his deployment pool?

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is Lord of Blades...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old July 13th, 2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William099 View Post
Do you think that Marshall would have performed differently/better with a ranged option in his deployment pool?
Any additional figures to the pool would probably help, and ranged would probably help even more. Still, I'd probably want to mostly advance my melee screen before bringing them up and, if they are ranged, I may rather use order markers on them instead to get attacks if my opponent's figures are close enough. Obviously we can imagine some additional units out there where 180 is about right for making it good, but I think that would still be pretty particular and conditional for that to happen.

I think he's cool, he just costs a lot.
Old July 14th, 2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post
Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but BOOTCAMPS OF VALHALLA put together a card and playtesting has stalled a bit there:

So any input you can give would be helpful for sure.
Just got another couple games with the kobolds in.

Game 1:
Spoiler Alert!

Game 2:
Spoiler Alert!

They're an interesting group. My second test didn't quite check the things that I would like, but I think they're strategy is fairly deep and has a few options.

Avenge the Master is a game changer and there is definitely a transition point where you want the master alive and wounded and just dead. However, there really is no point at which you want to kill the master right off the bat. With the cheapest warrior at 80 pts, doing a first turn suicide wouldn't be an effectively cheaper option than then similarly statted Death Chasers of Thesk until you have at least 9 squads of kobolds, becoming very unrealistic for any 24-hex limit format. In fact, I think the kobolds fair a bit better in slightly cheaper formats given their cost, allowing them to more easily swarm and overwhelm the opponent.

Overall, I like them and they seem about right if you use them correctly, though I suspect that will vary match to match and allow them to be fairly versatile. I hope this is helpful.
Old July 14th, 2014, 01:01 AM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

That's awesome to hear! Glad to see they're playing well.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 03:27 PM

You can find the Codex Playtest article for the Sacred Fusiliers by Northwest Heroscape Customs here.

I am taking submissions for my next article if any are interested.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 01:49 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

How about another group design? The first HoSS Public Design FX-7 has stalled a bit in testing and could use some help to get going.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards