Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Old December 15th, 2011, 05:45 PM
That's right! He can be taught!

Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby!
Sir Fellswain Voldaren

Hey guys. Sorry about the lack of updates on my other fanfics. I just had to write this one. I hope you enjoy it.

A band of hunters rode through a dense green forest. There were five of us, all able bodied skilled men searching for food to feed our families. It was fall and winter was coming fast. We had not yet killed enough meat to last our families in Entria in the province of Kessig in the world of Innistrad. Most of the game had gone into hibernation at this point so we had to travel farther than we had before in order to find good meat. We knew this to be dangerous, as werewolves are commonplace, but we need the meat, and as we had previously reasoned werewolves were out of season. They would not come in batches of more than two or three. We were all battle hardened men, and believed that we could take them on. Besides I Vito the horse lord went with them, and before them. My prowess with the bow and the horse are known across Innistrad. The beasts would not dare disturb us.
I saw a buck up ahead. It was a fair sized creature. One or two like him would conclude our expedition. It suddenly looked up, and saw us. I thought I saw its eyes flash red for a moment, but dismissed it as a trick of the light. Immediately I and my followers took off after it. My swift pony soon got within range. I withdrew my recurve compound bow. I unsheathed a finely crafted arrow (homemade of course), and drawing the string to my ear, let the arrow fly. It hit its mark, and the buck fell dead.
The other men congratulated me with many pats on the back. All of these I accepted with utmost humility, after all it had been a brilliant shot, and such compliments were owed. We noticed that night was falling quickly, and set about making camp.
Once all this was done, we ate of the buck. It was like nothing I had ever tasted before, but that was not the only new tastes I was to acquire in that one fateful night.
The bucks meat was so satisfying that we neglected a watchman, and fell instantly asleep. A couple of hours later I woke with a jolt. I looked around to realize that the other men were stirring as well. It was at this time that we realized we had neglected a watchman. All were up and alert as some rustling was heard in the close foliage.
“We should get our horses, and leave.” I told the other men.
They all agreed with me, and we went to untie them.
We stopped dead in our tracks. Before us, topped by a skull, was a pile of our horses bones. One man lost it, and fled screaming into the woods. The screams were suddenly cut short and snarls and sounds of tearing flesh ensued.
“Run,” I said. The other four of us turned and fled.
Hearing footsteps behind us of a swift moving quadruped one of the men turned to look. This slowed him down significantly. I heard him scream. This too was cut off and similar noises ensued. It sounded like the other wolves were fighting over his body with the one who had caught him. Not daring to chance a look, the three of us continued our flight. Finally, I paused, not in my running, but in my racing mind.
“Halt!” I shouted, the other three men halted like the good sensible battle hardened men they were. They are a perfect example of survival of the fittest, but as I would soon learn. I am the best example.
“Turn face!”
The men turned with their weapons at the ready.
“Fire!”
Three well aimed arrows were loosed from three steady bows. Three of the 5 wolves who were chasing us dropped to the ground howling. The one I hit was stone dead. The other two wolves moved with lightening speed. We barely had time to draw our swords then they were upon us. The man at my left fell first, as I slew the fourth wolf, and the second man was killed, as I was knocked head over heels onto my back. The last image I saw was the final wolf leaping upon me.

Slink's story can be found here.

Last edited by Elven Lord; February 2nd, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old December 15th, 2011, 05:54 PM

Orcs Blade knows what's in an order marker Orcs Blade knows what's in an order marker
Re: Innistrad

That's really cool! I had this idea a while ago, but decided to finish Vengeance first.

One qualm is that you called this Inistrad, which I assume to be a reference to the wave of MTG, but the wolves don't seem to follow what is written about them on the actual website. Great writing anyway!

Another thing I noticed was that these humans are grown men, and yet are going hunting near dark. On Inistrad, that really does make it survival of the fittest...the smart ones stay behind.

Orcs Blade is Evar Scarcarver...
in theTWILIGHT CAVE...

Last edited by Orcs Blade; December 15th, 2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old December 15th, 2011, 09:24 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness The Grim Reaper's Friend wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Wait a minute, you're both writing about the same thing at the same time? Oh boy, this is going to get confusing. And interesting.

Eternity Prequels - Editing
Spoiler Alert!

Old December 15th, 2011, 09:37 PM

Orcs Blade knows what's in an order marker Orcs Blade knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
Wait a minute, you're both writing about the same thing at the same time? Oh boy, this is going to get confusing. And interesting.
Haha yes, the same world, but I'm not sure that the stories will intertwine...they might though, we've talked about it.

in theTWILIGHT CAVE...
Old December 16th, 2011, 10:00 PM

Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby!

I have my own impression of the wolves of Innistrad, but I will listen if you want to inform me in greater depth. Also coming up is the first scene that I have scene on this site of a vampire "in the act". We've seen a good bit from Cyprien, but he works so quickly it never really fully involves the whole horror of the moment. I've got a scene like that coming up in a couple of days. Stay tuned.

I woke up in a cold sweat. My dreams had been filled with the most horrific of horrors. Horrors which I hoped I would never see again. That’s when I realized I wasn’t dead. I was kneeling exhausted on a cold granite floor; black granite walls surrounded me on either side. It took me only a moment to realize that I was in a cave. The only thing that puzzled me was why. That’s when I heard a voice speaking from the back of the cave.
"Avacyn has abandoned you. I will gladly accept your devotion in her stead."
I was staring into the smoldering eyes of the mythical Demon of the Abyss.
"What do you want? Why am I here?"
"You are here because I want you here. I have observed the events of the past five minutes, and I am so pleased with you."
His voice grated on my ears, as if he had no lips to form soft spoken words with. It only took me a moment to realize the truth of this.
"Your pride will be my workshop, and your skill in battle will be my voice in Innistrad."
"I will never serve you! I cried My devotion is only to Avacyn!"
The Demon chuckled a little, a horrible sound that held no emotion except spite. "Such devotion is commendable. If I can twist it to my will you would make ever so fine a general."
Now I was interested, "A general? You would give me a promotion?"
"Not only that," the Demon grinned, (a bit awkwardly for lack of lips) "You will be my supreme general in Innistrad. You will gather the broken and scattered werewolves of Kessig. You will make the vampires cease their endless quarrelling. You will awaken the spirits of the Underdark. You will win their allegiance for me. You will encourage them to reek havoc on the provinces, and cities of Innistrad. I realize that given our nature a functioning army is impossible. Therefore we must expand our forces, and overrun Innistrad."
"I like what I’m hearing," I said this though I did not mean it. The Demon was too busy cackling to notice me slide my bow from the quiver and notch an arrow. However, had I read more deeply into the ancient lore of Innistrad, I would know full well that it takes a tremendous amount of force on the part of evil to break the bonds of love. That or to slowly wear away at it. This of course becomes easier as terror, sets in. On the grassroots level, turning or defiling one believer is easy. However, while the people of Innistrad remain level headed there are some things that can turn even the Demon away. These are sacred artifacts, blessed silver, and the symbol of Avacyn which hangs from every wall, and church steeple in Innistrad. However, above all else the power to say yes and no is great, and the power of that answer is greater still. I like what I’m hearing is the equivalent of saying yes.
My arrow was drawn to my ear when I paused. I could not let the arrow fly. I had accepted the Demons proposal, and the forces of Innistrad would not let me do anything else, but serve him. I eased the string. The Demon looked down and was pleased. My bow caught fire and I dropped it to the ground. It lay in smoldering cinders.
"My Lord how am I to fight for you if I am weaponless and am merely mortal?
I will fix that."
He breathed a black cloud over me. "Breathe deeply." He ordered.
I could do nothing, but obey him. I breathed in the gaseous fumes, and sank to the ground as sudden feeling of fear and anguish overwhelmed me. I cried out breathing in more of the fumes with each cry. I grabbed my head as pain lanced through my entire form. I had never felt the emotions that were now coming on. Not in the intensity I was feeling them: Lust, Pride, Anger, and Hate. The worst part of it was, that I still, for a time at least, had some grasp of my old self, and I felt myself being destroyed. I knew that I was. Now I was beginning to love my new emotions. The intensity of them was endearing.
The pain ebbed away, and life rushed into my limbs. My muscles swelled, and toughened beyond their usual strength. My eyes could pierce the dark tunnel, and my ears could hear the beat of the wings of a nearby bat. In a pool of water that rested near me I could see my face was changed as well as my senses. My face was darker than its usual paleness. "I suppose this darkened face is to help me stalk my prey better." I thought aloud. Then stopped as I realized what I had said. I knew what I was, and am now; a vampire.
My old green hunters clothes lay in tatters before me. I had ripped them off during my transformation. I looked down at myself and realized I was garbed in a black tunic and cloak, with boots the color of my tunic, and pants. Gloves of similar color, but remarkable toughness and gripping power clothed my hands.
The Demon stood before me. He had shrunk himself to be just a head higher, but not the same height as me at my fullest (for the obvious reasons). He drew his sword and laid it on my shoulder. Then lifted it and placed it on the other shoulder.
"Rise Sir Fellswain Voldaren!"
I rose.
"Take thee this sword, and this bow. Use them to fight men, and terrorize women and children. You will learn to be a vampire, and you will do it on your own. A long boring lecture will do you no good. There are 5 hours before sunrise. Have fun." He vanished.
The sword was made of black tempered steel. It was sharp, and hard. Nothing would break it or dull it. The bow was of even finer make. It was made from ebony, and was polished and instilled with dark magic. Nothing would break this bow. It had a range of 400 yards. I could tell this instantly because of previous experience. It was recurve bow like my previous one.
I wondered only for a moment what my new master had meant about learning to be a vampire, but I supposed I would learn that at the same time. It occurred to me that I was hungry. The bread in my satchel did not even occur to me.

Last edited by Elven Lord; January 16th, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old December 17th, 2011, 01:29 PM

I stepped out under the still darkened sky. A few wolves hung around the entrance, but they carefully avoided me. I raced off at a devils pace. I love the feeling of the night air, and the darkness seemed to give me strength. I realize to late the cliff edge in front of me and went careening over.

The end

Jk

I wished I could fly, and suddenly I was. My superhuman mind alerted me that I had only to will a direction or altitude or maneuver and it would be done. I flew up the cliff face, and landed on the other side. I raced off into the night, unsure of exactly where I was going. It dawned on me that there was a hamlet nearby. There wouldn’t be any walls, and there would be very few guards. Probably just the elderly woodcutter, and his family, a few hunters, and some militia, would be present. I came upon the hamlet within a matter of minutes, as there was not but a few miles to go. There were many more hunters than I had anticipated. They all sat around a fire warming themselves, and cooking a deer. The woodcutter’s daughter was passing around drinks. The woodcutter’s wife was turning the spit. The woodcutter himself sat in the middle telling the men of the 4 bodies he had found in the forest. Along with the bodies of the 4 werewolves I now regretted killing. One of the men separated himself from the others, and came toward me. I slipped into the foliage, and waited for him. He walked a little ways in, and relieved himself on a tree. When he was finished he turned around. I slit his throat as he turned. The blood smelled delicious. I began to feast. It only took me a moment to learn my third lesson of the night (after running and flying). My victims had to be alive or I wouldn’t be able to get more than a little bit of blood. I needed the heart to circulate it. Men with weapons was out of the question because I would have to kill them. While they slept they were all together in one room. The slightest noise, and I would be overrun. It would have to be the woodcutter’s daughter. She was the only one who slept alone. I returned to find that some of the men, concerned that their comrade had not returned were coming towards me. I thought what would happen if they found the body. I returned, and upon instinct used a spell I had not known I could use. I masked the body in darkness and hid. The hunters upon finding nothing began calling out for their comrade. I reasoned that if I could mask a body in darkness, maybe I could do the same for a memory. I tried it. The men turned and returned to the camp. They reported to their captain that the man had been killed by a werewolf, and the werewolf had fled. They would remain on guard for the last four hours of the night though they were the safest in Innistrad for sleeping.
The woodcutter and his family entered their house and went to bed. I waited an hour then slipped in through the open window. This window was only open because I opened it. I came to two doors. I thought about which one had my victim behind it. Then I realized that one had snoring behind it. I knew that a healthy young woman in her 20’s wouldn’t be snoring. I slid open the door and slipped inside. I closed the door behind me.
The woman lay on her back with her legs dropped to one side. One arm lay across her stomach, and the other next to her head. She was sleeping peacefully. I took one deep breath. She smelled of freshness, and youth. Her body was not toughened by the years of terror that were to follow. Everything about her and her kind was what I had come to destroy. I was learning every moment how to do it. When they find her body in the morning word will be sent across the land of the attack; the first vampire attack in centuries.
I knelt at her bedside. I drew the covers from her chest. I carefully moved her sweet smelling, but foal tasting hair away from her delicate neck exposing it. I placed one hand carefully on her chest at the base of her neck. So gently that she did not wake. I then clapped a hand over her mouth and bit down into her neck at the same time. My newfound strength held her firmly in place. She still struggled, but after a few minutes her struggling became weaker, and weaker. Her blood was rich, and tasted of seasonal wine, elderberries, and life enough for ten vampires (or one me). She finally stopped. She was unconscious. It occurred to me that the Demon wanted new recruits.I withdrew my teeth. She was still breathing, but much less so then before. I picked her up, and carried her out of the house. I found myself facing three guards.
I grinned evilly into their surprised faces. They quickly recovered and drew their weapons. One made a stab at me. I moved the victim in the way. He stopped short. After parrying at this for a while I heard the door open behind me. The woodcutter came out.
"Who are you? What are you doing with Olivia?"
I turned to him and grinned. I heard the guards make a move toward me. I tossed the woodcutter Olivia. I turned back, drew my sword, and smashed each of their blades to shards. I heard more guards coming. I sheathed my sword. I then turned back to the still surprised woodcutter, and grabbed Olivia. I tossed her over my shoulder, and flew off into the night.

I left one passing phrase, "I'll have to borrow this for a while."

Last edited by Elven Lord; November 8th, 2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old December 17th, 2011, 11:42 PM

bumper15 is surprisingly tart

I liked the first ending better. It was so unexpected. I love the new story EL.
Old December 18th, 2011, 06:04 PM

Great story EL!!

It's getting interesting, being writen it from the bad guy's perspective.

in theTWILIGHT CAVE...
Old December 24th, 2011, 08:40 PM

This content has been deleted.

Last edited by Elven Lord; January 16th, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old January 6th, 2012, 09:11 PM

I will try to get the next bit of this up soon, but I'm juggling a lot of different problems right now. To top it off Microsoft is having problems....like more so than usual.

Old January 10th, 2012, 08:40 PM

This content has been deleted.

Last edited by Elven Lord; January 16th, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old January 16th, 2012, 06:44 PM

I just realized that my old stile wasn't going to work. What was I going to do when they met?
I said, "Die fiend!"
Then I replayed, "Die thane!"

So I'm just doing it from the perspective of the vamp. I like his character better.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction