Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

View Poll Results: NorCal, what day is best for a January Tournament ?
1/20/07 5 35.71%
1/27/07 5 35.71%
Either Day 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 2nd, 2006, 01:21 AM
Tournament Director Deluxe

Satyr is surprisingly tart
NorCal Tourney Jan 20 @ Satyr's Lair

UPDATED 1/17/07

NorCal Tourney - January 20th 2007

We are on for Jan 20th @ Satyr's Lair (PM for address)
First game begins at 11:30AM (please arrive early)
Map designers please bring terrain and a full set of glyphs (see below) for your map.

16 Attending:
To attend this event please post your intent in this thread.
  • Satyr
    Dnutt
    Sexymama
    Aldin
    1moreheroscaper
    1morename
    Hex_Enduction_Hour
    Alastair MacDirk
    Malechi ... "barring some unforeseen occurrence"
    Guerillinator
    Grim
    Von Drake +1
    Joe's Fury
    Preacher
    Voodoo
    CCC +1
All attendees should bring:
  • ~ A 450 point Army
    ~ Dice
    ~ Turn Markers
    ~ Wound Markers
    ~ A prize for the prize table
    ~ Food and Drink

Tourney Logistics
  • • 4 round of Swiss style tournament to seed the semi finals (see below for details)
    • 450 point army (you chose a single army to play though the entire tourney)
    • No sideboard (your army must be versatile)
    • Maps will be 1-2 MS with expansions
    • There will be 6 different maps
    ... I’m using the Battlefields of Valhalla guidelines, except 450pt armies. (LINK)
    ... Options are shown below
    ... build and/or nominate other balanced maps
    ... potential maps must have build instructions so others can build and play them ahead of time if desired (gotta be fair)
    • Games will be limited to 50 minutes
    [list:e1badc14e2]11:30 - 12:20 Game 1
    12:20 - 1:00 Lunch
    1:00 - 1:50 Game 2
    2:00 - 2:50 Game 3
    3:00 - 3:50 Game 4
    4:00 - 4:50 Semi Finals
    5:00 - 5:50 Finals

I'd like to play two games before lunch, but I don't think everyone will get there before 11:00 ... correct me if you think I'm wrong.

I’m hoping to minimize the 10 minutes between games, but I’m gonna plan for it since I will be playing … no way am I sitting on the side lines
[/list:u:e1badc14e2]

Swiss Style Tournaments
Warning Technical Details - pay no attention to the man behind the computer!
  • • Match-ups for the first game will be randomly assigned
    • After 50 Minutes the player with the most points still on the map wins
    • Players score points for each Army Card with figures still on the battlefield. Score the full points listed on the Army Card, even if there is only one surviving Squad figure
    [list:e1badc14e2]~ Winners will be assigned 3 Tournament Points
    ~ Losers will be assigned 0 Tournament Points
    ~ In the event of a tie, both players will receive 1 Tournament Point
    ~ I will also keep a running total of remaining point differentials (your remaining army points – opponents remaining army points)
• Players with the same number of Tournament Points will be group into a bracket
• Players within a bracket will be ranked by remaining point differentials
• The top of a bracket will play the bottom of the bracket (in a 8 person bracket, player 1 will play player 5)
• In the event that a bracket has an odd number of people, the highest ranked person from a lower bracket will fill in.
• In the event that the tournament has an odd number of players, the lowest ranked player receives a bye, meaning he does not play that particular round but receives 3 Tournament Points as if he had won a game. He is reintroduced in the next round and will not receive another bye.
• After four games, the top four players will move into a single elimination play off
(I may use a Strength of Schedule system to determine 2nd through 4th places ... still thinking about it)
• Non finalists are at their leisure to mix up armies, deliver challenges, or drink their woes away[/list:u:e1badc14e2]

The Desolate Watch by Satyr
1 MS and 1 RTTFF
Build Instructions (LINK)

Twin Springs (of Bubbling Goodness) by Hex_Enduction_Hour
2 MS and 2 RTTFF
Build Instruction (LINK)

Toll Road by Satyr
1 MS and 1 RTTFF
Build Instruction (LINK)

Wind Spring by dnutt99
2 MS, 2 RTTFF, and 1 TT (heavy snow)

please note map has been modified ... images below are old

Winterwonderland by Alastair MacDirk
1 MS, 1 RTTFF, and 1 TT (heavy snow & slippery ice)

Mole Hills by Jonathan - Modded by Rÿchean
1 MS and 1 RTTFF

River Walk
1 MS and 1 RTTFF
Build Instructions (Link)

The Meat Grinder (modified for tourney play)
1 MS
Build Instuctions (LINK)

Glyph Pool:
  • +1 Attack Glyph (Astrid)
    +1 Defense Glyph (Gerda)
    +2 Move Glyph (Valda)
    +1 D20 Glyph (Lodin)
    +8 initiative Glyph (Dagmar)
    Summon Glyph (Erland)

Game On !!!
Old December 2nd, 2006, 04:33 AM

Joe's Fury has disabled reputation
Alright Satyr!!!! Thanks for stepping up. It's been a while since we had a tourny. I'll let the boys know to be ready for it in Jan. Kakaw!

Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:07 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
WooHoo! Playing HeroScape! Gotta Play!

~Aldin, who wonders if bowls can be banned as a dice-rolling surface

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:49 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Yeah! I'm there! Go check out Wave 6 stats and start planning your armies, folks! I think my family and I are heading on a snow trip January 13-14, so we'll see if I can attend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyr
No one from NorCal has yet to step up for our next gathering, so I've taken the initiative
I thought that was the plan? It was your plan to host the next tourney?
I won't be stepping up anytime soon. There was a Scenario Game store 10 minutes from my house that had a huge gaming room. If they hadn't been demolished, believe me, I'd be hosting some gatherings. I just can't offer up my house again until summer.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:02 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Okay, if you're going with the NO Sideboarding ruling, might I suggest no Lava or Snow terrain be used on any of the four battlefields for this GameDay. Otherwise, if more than one of the four battlefields contain a terrain that works with specific figures ... everyone will have those figures in their Army and the day will degenerate into a die-rolling pissing contest.

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:15 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malechi
Okay, if you're going with the NO Sideboarding ruling, might I suggest no Lava or Snow terrain be used on any of the four battlefields for this GameDay. Otherwise, if more than one of the four battlefields contain a terrain that works with specific figures ... everyone will have those figures in their Army and the day will degenerate into a die-rolling pissing contest.
I'll second that!

~Aldin, who doesn't have any Dzu-Teh anyway

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old December 2nd, 2006, 03:06 PM

Joe's Fury has disabled reputation
I'll third that!

Old December 2nd, 2006, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I’m not going to be able to setup anything large until after the new year … if you can wait till then I’ll pick up the torch.
HEH: I'm happy to do this, just wanted to give someone else a chance.

Re: terrain and side boards ... I'm not convinced. If one map has snow, one map has lava, and the rest are RTTFF ... snow men or lava dudes will do you no good on three of the four maps. Put them both in a single army and you've got an eclectic army at best that likely will not be versatile enough to take home the gold.

Exceptions are Brunak and Nerak … I may exclude lava just so Burnak is not in every army.

I’m a purest and don’t often build with lava or snow, but I’m not ready to rule out maps that include them. I am, however, very critical of maps ... all maps in play at the tournament must be balanced. Let me drink on it.

BTW, I posted pics of my map
Old December 2nd, 2006, 09:31 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:

I’m a purest and don’t often build with lava or snow, but I’m not ready to rule out maps that include them. I am, however, very critical of maps ... all maps in play at the tournament must be balanced. Let me drink on it.
I'm in agreement: I think snow and lava should be included. Don't exclude Brunak!

Quote:
Let me drink on it.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 09:37 PM

I wouldn't dream of excluding an official figure. My only concern is that if one map has lava Brunak may show up in a bunch of armies since he is more far more versatile than the Obsidian Guards. I would exclude lava for this reason alone.

Snow ... ya gotta play orcs to really benifit and I don't see too many commin with orc ... *cough* Mr. Fury *cough*

gotta go

Old December 4th, 2006, 12:59 PM

After much drinking and far too long a recovery period I have determined that you really should not mix your alcohol. I’ve also decided that I really don’t want to see Brunak in every army so I will prohibit maps with lava but I will allow ice and snow ... like you didn’t see this commin’.

We have been playing with sand rules for ages ... two moves per one space ... I like the dimension it adds. Heavy snow formalized those rules. Glaciers for blocking line of sight is another benefit of Tundra. I’m thinking along the lines of no more than 25% of the maps in play may have snow.

If you don’t want to see any snow maps, I suggest you start building / nominating maps.
I’m using the Battlefields of Valhalla guidelines, except 450pt armies. (LINK)
Old December 4th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
You know, we didn't have any trouble with lava or tundra at our last tournament, and the one before that had a really good map with lava in it. Brunak won't make every army just to compensate in case you pull a lava map.

But whatever you decide. I can't make it anyway, but I think you ought to allow for lava and ice. They can make some interesting maps.

Satyr, let me know when you get a list of attendees. Get over 10 or so and I'll chuck a dice tower on your prize table.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events