Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Notices

Old November 17th, 2012, 05:43 PM

Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: HoME Brainstorming Thread

Just wanted to throw out my rough draft of The One Ring and see what you guys thought.

----------------------------

THE ONE RING
TREASURE GLYPH

RING OF POWER
This figure cannot be targeted by an opponent’s non-adjacent figure for an attack or special power that requires clear sight. This figure can move through all figures, and never takes leaving engagement attacks.

MASTER'S CALL
At the end of the round, each of your opponent’s may roll the 20-sided die. If an opponent rolls a 15 or higher, they may choose either this figure or a Unique Hero within 4 clear sight spaces of this figure and take temporary control of the chosen figure.

----------------------------

I was thinking Sauron could affect the d20 roll on Master's Call if it wasn't too devastating already. Obviously the number can be toggled if 15 is too high or low.

Last edited by Good Pig; November 17th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old November 17th, 2012, 05:55 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Interesting. I like it Good Pig.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 17th, 2012, 06:12 PM

Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks!

I think balancing a positive and negative power on the ring would provide for some interesting game play. Make it worthwhile to pick up, but provide a drawback to grabbing it.

Master's Call is meant to show the greed/desire of it's owner and those around him to keep or obtain the ring. It doesn't force other heroes to attack the Ringbearer, but that could possibly be achieved by making the wording of the power a touch more complex.
Old November 17th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

I like Master's Call, though for simplicity's sake, we could change Ring of Power to read:

RING OF POWER
The figure with this glyph has no visible hit zone. This figure can move through all figures, and never takes leaving engagement attacks.
Old November 17th, 2012, 06:49 PM

Cool. That works.
Old November 17th, 2012, 07:17 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Taken from Arch Vile's LotR customs,

THE FELLOWSHIP
After revealing an order marker on this card and taking a turn with Aragorn, you may take a turn with any one other figure you control with The Fellowship special power.

Thoughts? I think it's a nice way of helping the fellowship work together, and gives you a lot of options as well as eliminating the OM problems that come with a bunch of Heroes..

Tournament Record:126-52 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old November 17th, 2012, 07:55 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by boromir96 View Post
Taken from Arch Vile's LotR customs,

THE FELLOWSHIP
After revealing an order marker on this card and taking a turn with Aragorn, you may take a turn with any one other figure you control with The Fellowship special power.

Thoughts? I think it's a nice way of helping the fellowship work together, and gives you a lot of options as well as eliminating the OM problems that come with a bunch of Heroes..
I've thought of a power just like that as well. I'm opposed to limiting the Fellowship to only having synergy with itself since our goal is for our units to integrate more or less seamlessly with classic figures--an ability like that would ensure that our Fellowship heroes would rarely be used with other armies. I also don't want bonding for the whole fellowship.

I could see some sort of bonding or synergy between Legolas and Gimli, maybe routed through our second Aragorn, but I would prefer it refer to "elf heroes" or "heroes with X personality." That's a bridge we will cross when we get to it.

Long story short, I'm opposed to that power for this project. Although it would be a great power for different circumstances.

--
--
--

--
Old November 17th, 2012, 11:23 PM

I see from recent posts that we seem to mostly like the direction we're heading with BLAZING STRIKE SPECIAL ATTACK and LEADERSHIP/A FOOL'S HOPE. So; it seems our main talking point right now should be WISE COUNSEL.

The idea behind Wise Counsel is to give the player controlling Gandalf some tactical flexibility if he plans ahead well. Making plans and then changing them, however imperfectly, seems very Gandalf-y to me. But I'm open to alternative suggestions. If a new name will help then I'm up for that also. I also like it for gameplay reasons because its much more subtle than bonding (and admittedly less useful), but will have a similar feel.

I was going to wait until editing to address the wording on WISE COUNSEL, but I changed my mind. We can perfect it when we get to editing, but if we're going to work with Wise Counsel lets start closer to the correct wording.
NAME = GANDALF
GENERAL = <to be decided>
PLANET = ARDA
SPECIES = MAIA
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = WIZARD / ISTARI < maybe Istari on the HoME side >
PERSONALITY = < ??? >
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5

LIFE = 7
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 5
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = ???

BLAZING STRIKE SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1. Attack 4.
Blazing Strike Special Attack affects all opponent's figures adjacent to Gandalf. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures. Each figure rolls defense dice separately. After rolling defense dice, you may move Gandalf up to 4 spaces. Gandalf may only move using his Blazing Strike Special Attack if he ends his movement not adjacent to any opponent's figures.

A FOOL'S HOPE
After taking a turn with Gandalf, if he ends his turn unengaged, you may move up to 3 Unique Heroes you control up to 6 spaces each. Any figures moved by Leadership must end their movement adjacent to Gandalf.

WISE COUNSEL
After revealing an Order Marker on Gandalf, instead of taking a turn with Gandalf, you may choose a Unique Hero you control within 6 clear sight spaces of Gandalf that has at least one unrevealed Order Marker on its card. Place the newly revealed Order Marker from Gandalf's card on the card of the chosen figure. Remove one unrevealed Order Marker from that figure's army card and place it on Gandalf's card, then take a turn with the chosen figure.
I would like to hear more of the opposing thoughts to this version of Gandalf, but it is growing on me. I would like to move it to design soon.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about these three powers in the broad sense--if you don't like specifics of the powers, that's what the Design department is for. If we move Gandalf into Design, we'll have a little more space to start brainstorming on another character in this thread.

And we can finalize these decisions in Design, but here are some personalities we could use for Gandalf:

Inspiring
Merciful

Resolute
Dauntless
Bold

Unprecedented options:
Hopeful
Wise
Impatient

I bolded the ones I really like. Hopeful could probably fall under "Inspiring."

--
--
--

--
Old November 17th, 2012, 11:28 PM

I have to agree with caps. I don't think all of the Fellowship members need to bond. They can have complimetary powers that make you want to draft them together. Bonding seems best thematically to represent close ties. I could see some figures with bonding like Frodo with Hobbits or Thorin Oakenshield with Dwarves, but don't think Gandalf or Aragorn would need it. Also not a big fan of having more than 3 powers per army card, unless in a rare case it's absolutely neccessary.
Old November 17th, 2012, 11:41 PM

Love Wise for personality. Fits with his title "Gandalf the Wise" and with the power title Wise Counsel.

I really like the general direction of OM flexibilty for the power, but feel it might be overly wordy for what it is. Mechanically Wise Counsel is basically Master Manipulator from Red Skull's card right?
Old November 18th, 2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Pig View Post
Mechanically Wise Counsel is basically Master Manipulator from Red Skull's card right?
Not quite. Read it again. On the current turn it has the same effect, but it changes future turns.

I'm about to go to bed or I would give a step-by-step example.

It may prove to be too complicated to be worthwhile, but maybe we can simplify it.

--
--
--

--
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:29 AM

I'll try to test it out and see how it feels. Sometimes trying to explain/theoryscaping only adds to the confusion.

I had some other thoughts on the movement power.

Quote:
A FOOL'S HOPE
After taking a turn with Gandalf, if he ends his turn unengaged, you may move up to 3 Unique Heroes you control up to 6 spaces each. Any figures moved by Leadership must end their movement adjacent to Gandalf.
What if we renamed this and did something like it on Aragorn's card (Strider version) to depict him leading the Fellowship? Since he's a ranger it makes sense that he's leading the way too.

On Gandalf for a third power I'd love to see something defensive to show how he can stand up to more powerful beings like the Balrog.

Quote:
From the LOTR wiki:

Shield of the Istari
Gandalf can also conjure up a magical shield to protect himself from enemy attacks. It is shown in the movies only once, when Gandalf stands against the Balrog's flaming sword. However, on the extended version of The Return of the King, Gandalf uses the shield of Istari to protect himself from a spell cast by Saruman.
Here's a power idea that could replace A Fool's Hope on the card.

Quote:
SHIELD OF THE ISTARI
Once per round, before rolling defense dice with Gandalf, you may reveal an "X" Order Marker on this card. For the rest of this turn when rolling defense dice for Gandalf, one shield will block all damage.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs