Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old May 23rd, 2022, 07:06 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Gonna drop a short review here for M.A.R.S. by @Astroking112

For Balance the obvious concern is the double explosion with a potential for 14 single space targets, or 18 if you’ve got a couple double-spacers involved. Other than that the stats aren’t noteworthy for the point cost.

For Creativity and Theme I want to point out how much I like the 4 move and 4 range combo. The theme there is good and the interplay with the missile barrage attack is creative. Militaristic is interesting but depending on your view of militaries in general it may very well be very correct.

With those out of the way the main focus is Playability. M.A.R.S. (as stated above) has world-breaking potential with 14 targets. Luckily, there are three main ways that this potential is kept in check.

The first is that your opponent knows that M.A.R.S. does indeed have a double explosion, and won’t just clump up 14 figures for you to blast at. In practice, this limits M.A.R.S. to 2 targets, sometimes 3. This is nothing to write home about, and is mostly useful in preventing your opponent from clogging up the map and waiting to pounce (since they don’t want explosions).

The second way this is kept in check is with M.A.R.S.’s low threat range. Planning a SZ rush? Well don’t. You’re not gonna get there in time. This is not a Zelrig situation. There will be no update to mapmaker’s guidelines that says “please make sure M.A.R.S. isn’t broken on this map.”

Others have alluded to M.A.R.S.’s third deficiency, which is that 3 dice is quite unreliable. My biggest (in terms of numbers) explosion in testing was a 9-figure double explosion (I think, maybe Sir H remembers) that occurred when I took an initiative switch to run 8 spaces and blast the SZ. I got 1 skull and killed nothing. And of course, this is no surprise: 50% of the time, you’ll get 0 or 1 skulls.

This is not to say that M.A.R.S. is unplayable or bad: He can have some pretty powerful games, especially when you utilize your own figures to connect the dots for some explosions. Occasionally you’ll put all the pieces together with a decent number of targets in range and roll a 2- or 3-skull blast to clear a section or two of the board.

And other times the 4 dice is helpful if M.A.R.S. needs to clear out a single adjacent figure without getting wrecked by his own 3 dice. My overall Conclusion is that M.A.R.S. is a fun design that does a good job of limiting its theoretical power output and it definitely deserves a place in Valhalla. to induct.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 07:41 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Exciting stuff!

“MARS Attack!”

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old May 23rd, 2022, 09:41 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Woohoo! M.A.R.S. is definitely going to get some play soon.

Thanks a ton SuperFrog for the time and investment - and to all the judges who reviewed MARS!
Old May 24th, 2022, 12:08 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

M.A.R.S. by @Astroking112 has received 4 Yea votes to induct (Scytale, Dysole, Vydar_XLIII, and superfrog) and moves forward in the process.
Old May 24th, 2022, 02:40 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Grats!
Old May 24th, 2022, 08:38 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Congratulations to Astroking! M.A.R.S. looks like a lot of fun.

Also, I'd like to echo the support for Nordlung. It's a well-designed unit with a great sculpt!
Old May 25th, 2022, 10:06 AM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

My apologies on the lateness of this vote. I could've sworn I did this, like, 2 weeks ago.

to review Nordlung. I'm with Scy on the power names, but like he said that's minor. I do have some concerns as I laid out earlier, but its all theoryscape now and I have to get him on my table to address those.

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old May 25th, 2022, 01:07 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Won Me Over

to Nordlung

I also do not love the power names. Sherman has enough of an explanation though that I can live with them. All other concerns are testing.

~Dysole, who mulled on this for too long
Old May 25th, 2022, 01:12 PM

Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby!

Flip...... I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for M.A.R.S, I love the concept and design of the unit

H E R O S C A P E
Old May 29th, 2022, 04:44 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

After ANOTHER 2 years since my last submission...I'm officially re-submitting Agrith-Naar to the SoV gauntlet.

The biggest differentiation with this and the last version is how the "Starved" ability worked and impacted gameplay. Some very useful criticism/feedback from the previous versions reviews were:

Quote:
Oftentimes Agrith will avoid multiple figures (more food) in favor of engaging a single figure, to ensure that there’s nobody left adjacent to him at the end of a turn.

In playing Agrith-Naar, I kept wanting “Starved” to say that he took wounds if he didn’t kill anything, but that wasn’t the case.
Quote:
Agrith-Naar is fun to play with and against and isn't overpowered, but needs to either make Starved an important part of play or get rid of it.
I feel the current version helps to address both of those concerns above.
1) By destroying a figure, he's sated his hunger...thematically it makes more sense AND it works in the reverse of how the power used to work...which IN PRACTICE plays the way you would want this unit to play.
2) Starved impacts the design and gameplay much more centrally now. Now, you don't want to keep him on the outskirts engaging a figure here or there to avoid wounds...now you want him doing the most damage he can do and just 1 figure destroyed keeps him from self destruction.

Cloaked figures lowered their arms in the circle as they completed the monotone incantation; a massive, muscled demon standing before them. The foremost of Valkrill’s clerics stepped forward to speak. “Agrith-Naar! We have summoned you — “ but he was cut off as long, blade-like teeth flashed out to take him. His body dropped; lifeless. Clerics scattered in every direction, fearing to be next. Then the Demon spoke. “Who do I hunt?” Hesitantly a woman stepped forward, and pointing south said, “Over that hill and camped in the valley.” The Demon’s eyes turned stark white as a grotesque grin etched it’s way across his face. He flew into the air, beginning his hunt. The woman lowered her head and whispered, “What have we done?”

Agrith-Naar is the Greater Death Demon #37 from the D&D Legends of Golarion line.
  • Balance
    He has comparisons to Master Woo, Raelin, Azazel and others who can attack all adjacent figures and share a similar stats and point values. A big difference is that A-N depends a lot more on his ability because his life depends on it, literally. He's one of the few figures in Heroscape that takes wounds upon failing to destroy a unit. Ulfrid is a nice comparison in a way, but overall a very different mechanic. Alastair is a nice comparison because their stat lines are exactly the same, but Alastair can only target 1 figure at a time, though his Overextend is a player choice and he can move to a better position. A-N's mobility is better though, so there's that. It’s never a easy “no-brainer” decision with A-N because his strongest potential/output is engaged with multiple foes.
  • Playability
    A-N is unique in that he has a simple, understandable powers that take very little effort to remember. Flying we’ve seen, Whirlwind Assault is reused and easy for players to understand and Starved is new but simple and thematic. His high attack is a representation of his 4 muscular arms that he uses as he hunts enemies. Whirlwind Assault is also a direct theme link between his left box stats as a Ravenous Devourer and the mini also suggests the same. So while he’s simple, the play style is rich with tough, strategic decisions. You want to get him engaged to pull off multiple powerful kills, but doing so might also isolate him, which will only make him more vulnerable to a counterattack.
  • Creativity
    Does it add something new to the game? Yes absolutely. It adds a distinct, purposeful tension between the offensive output and survivability. You have to know when to use him at the right time. The beauty of Heroscape design is being able to create something simple that results in tough and strategic gameplay decisions all the while making you feel like the unit "really is" what it was designed to be. I believe this iteration does that.
  • Theme
    This figure is a Demon. Check. This figure is visibly ravenous in his facial expression and a devourer fits with his abilities and the mini. Check. This figure is clearly an offensive powerhouse by looking at his pose, multiple muscular arms and weapons. Check. May his foes cower in fear!
  • Accessibility
    As of Sept 25th, 2019, Paizo confirmed they had 109 in stock (The mini still shows as available for $7.50)

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old May 29th, 2022, 07:59 PM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

@Sir Heroscape -- PM sent. Looking forward to the demon's return!
Old May 29th, 2022, 08:12 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

With 6 life, 3 defence and a wound every turn without a kill, it seems like A-N would go down fast even with being summoned up map with the acolytes.

I love everything about the design except how squishy he seems and that there are hero heavy matchups where he seems like he would get wreaked. 5 move even with flying seems like it would limit options and being tied down with a stout hero would force leaving engagement if you want to target weaker commons or go for whirlwind strike before his life timer runs out.

This is all theroy at this time, and I trust Sir H to have playtested, so I'm happy to vote up to review.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs

Last edited by wriggz; May 29th, 2022 at 10:30 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs