Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:47 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Card IDs

As an informal "Supers Card Archivist" in my own low tech way, after my Great Supers Card Hunt a couple of years ago, I've been cheerleading people a lot lately to post their Supers customs cards onsite, list their card revisions/versions, etc., in order to help organize our efforts in general. All so I can add to my own collection of over 600 Supers cards from all over the site (see Chas Master Lists if you are interested)!

One thing I'd like to suggest to all designers is to put their ID somewhere on their cards, such as C3G does with its own logo on the upper left of the character personality section, and as others place elsewhere on the card border. As we increasingly move into an age of mixing different people's/committees Supers cards in the same games, even with Classic/VC Customs as well, it becomes more and more difficult to trace sources of cards and give their original designers the credit for them when using them in one's games.

If you can manage this, its much appreciated! You did the work; you deserve the credit. In addition, it makes it more likely that people will use you cards, and use more of your cards together as armies. And this also makes it easier to find and restore cards whose links are starting to go down or become obscure through time, etc.

Thanks.

(Edit) Another suggestion as mentioned above, if you do a lot of cards and many revisions to them, is to date the card like Grey Owl does, so we can keep track of the different versions. And if you make different versions of the same person that are meant to stand and not replace each other (like the million versions of Iron Man), please do label them differently (Stealth Suit, Hulk Buster, etc.).

Last edited by chas; January 5th, 2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old January 10th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Card IDs

Great idea! I'm on board

The only issue I have when it comes to my personal cards is your last point. As I rework my cards, I'm making them follow the C3G standard, which is using the same name and identity. I suppose with ones like Iron Man, it would be easy enough to distinguish which armor, but for other characters there is simply not other "name" to use.
Old January 11th, 2015, 04:05 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

GreyOwl,

It sounds like what you are saying is that when C3G revises a card, it will keep no marking on the old version(s) for differentiation. I'm sorry to hear this, as I think it will cause difficulty for all of us in the future. Or at least for those of us that like to collect cards from different sources. Since you were in the forefront of marking them originally, you must have seen some point to it back then. What changed your mind?

Its easy enough to track different versions when there is a point change, but if its just a couple of text changes for example, it can be pretty hard to keep them all straight! And that's even if you're just trying to keep the most current version in a hard copy card collection, let alone keep all versions, and for C3G plus Independents, when all sources are making their own revisions. Yikes!
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:32 PM

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

Sorry, I don't think I was very clear. I'm fully onboard with a logo or marking per creator, as well as a version number or date of some sort. The thing I was talking about was labeling different versions of the character (not the card). For example, using Iron Man as an example, I think you're saying to use:

Stealth Iron Man - Tony Stark
Extremis Iron Man - Tony Stark
Hulkbuster Iron Man - Tony Stark

whereas C3G's standard seems to be to label all of them as "Iron Man - Tony Stark".
Old January 12th, 2015, 07:18 AM

GO,

Thanks for the clarification. Whew; that's a relief. No, I don't expect a separate 'name label' on each version. You could use a concept version title, though. That would have to be something like:

'Iron Man: Iron Man Adventures, The Teen Years.' or
'Iron Man: Movie Three: The Suit Ain't Working'

No go! Pretty funny, though...

Last edited by chas; January 13th, 2015 at 12:20 AM.
Old January 12th, 2015, 08:12 PM
C3G's First Fan

Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth

Actually, I think C3G does Iron Man a little different than others like Batman or Superman. (Batman I and Batman II both read "Batman: Bruce Wayne" whereas Iron Man reads "Iron Man Mark I: Tony Stark" and "Iron Man Mark II: Tony Stark") With C3G everything depends on lowest level of Name. You can play two Green Lanterns as long as they both aren't Hal Jordan, but you can't play Commander Rogers and Captain America: Steve Rogers.

Semi-Retired C3G Hero
(and first Official Member of the C3G Target Audience!)

The correct way to add C3G playtests to posts.
My favorite day EVER on heroscapers.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.
RIP George Perez
Old January 12th, 2015, 10:07 PM

In the C3G Index and in the "Book of..." threads, they are labeled as "Iron Man (Mark I)", "Iron Man (Hulkbuster)", etc. But on the actual card, they all say "Iron Man - Tony Stark".

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations