Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old November 13th, 2006, 08:52 PM
52nd runner up - Miss UK Pageant

robaula has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmodaily
Major Q-9's problem is that he can attack up to 9 times.
Thats something I've never really thought of, myself, as we have never had it happen in any of our games. Most of the time, Q9 attacks three times, with three die a shot. My mind is opened up to a whole new world of tactical possibilities...
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:06 PM

DoesntCompute has disabled reputation
Nine attacks of 1 die each destroys the Krav Maga.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me
I once was blind but now I see
Old November 13th, 2006, 10:27 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
Here is something that should be added to the analysis: Q9's face fits perfectly into Jotun's hand. I am serious. It is like his face was made out of the Jotun's hand mold.

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old November 14th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit
I bolded the part of the second of the second question that applies. Q9's head sticks out from his body and you can not draw line of sight from his head to anything behind him.
The other two hex units that have the same issue with their head jutting out from their shoulders are Jotun, Dumutef and Krug. Incidentally they are all melee units so this same issue does not apply. What this whole thing seems to mean, along with the rule where it takes one move to turn 180 degrees for a 2 hex unit, is that 2 hex units have facing and 1 hex units do not. Kind of strange and I don't think I like it very much. It's a very clumsy and inconsistent way of handling facing. If another 2 hex ranged unit comes out with the head jutting from the shoulders again I wonder if the same facing rule will apply or if Q9 will just have an oddball rules exception in place that no other character has.
Old November 14th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I also wonder if it costs 2 move to turn around when you are on heavy snow etc..

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old November 14th, 2006, 12:31 AM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
I also wonder if it costs 2 move to turn around when you are on heavy snow etc..
That would suck.

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:28 AM
has been BANNED

Faartknocker is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Greetings again, everyone.

The issue of "turning around" is interesting. On heavy snow, one could argue that turning around is not the same as moving (you don't have to plow through more snow). However, on a narrow bridge that is only one hexagonal space wide, how would Major Q9 manage to turn around? I did this in the tournament and, even though it favoured me, it seemed a bit odd.

As for line of sight, I think it is a fair/reasonable "handicap" that Major Q9 cannot fire directly behind itself. It also, as others have already said, matches the sculpt (its head/line of sight juts out from his chest).

Having said all that, though, it still seems to me to be currently the best well-rounded unit for most scenarios. The only loss I suffered in the tournament (to Jazz, who played very well) was due, I believe, to the fact that Jazz also had an army which featured the Major Q9 - Raelin combo.

As for Spider Poison's assertion that the Krug - Arrow Gruts combo can defeat the Major Q9 - Raelin combo easily, I respectfully partially disagree. There's no doubt that once Krug gets adjacent to Major Q9, the latter's end is near, but that's the point: Krug will often not have a chance to close with Major Q9. Consider Major Q9's normal attack (4 and possible height/glyph bonuses) of range 8 and then its Queglix Gun's 3 attacks of 3 with a range of 6. Add to this some small units to block Krug's path (I use Deathreavers) or consider obstacles or that Major Q9 may be on an elevation.

Of course, the Major Q9 - Raelin combo can be defeated, but only with great difficulty and/or luck. Perhaps the best way to defeat a Major Q9 - Raelin combo is to attack it with another Major Q9 - Raelin combo (lol). Cheers!
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Baron of Beantown IV

Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby!
I know Q9 cannot fire at targets behind him, or targets blocked from view by his 80's-sized shoulder pads.

Can Q9 fire at targets behind him that are adjacent?

Good trades: Hogg, Grimfang, Onacara, Sleightofhand, 'Scaper94, orec, Snappleman, R˙chean, lefton4ya, odbo255
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Pattar007 has disabled reputation
Yes as long as you are adjacent you do not need kube if sight. (This was brought up in a earlier thread)

Old November 14th, 2006, 12:45 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The turning around concept is this:

Double Space figures have a leading base and a tailing base. The leading base is treated just like a single base figure, moving and counting the same. The tailing base occupies the space previously occupied by the leading base. When you flip a double base figure, what you are actually doing is moving the leading base to the hex occupied by the tailing base, the tailing base then moves to the space the leading base occupied. It IS movement, which is why it costs a movement point.

One alternative rule you can try is to simply treat the leading base as the only base and move like a single base figure. When you end your turn, ignore facing and simply set the tailing base in whatever hex you wish. This can really ease the movement problems of double space figures and simplify things. The only problem with this rule is that it allows "tail whipping". Essentially, someone can attack a unit 6 spaces ahead of Krug by moving him 5 spaces forward then swinging him around so that the tailing base engages the enemy unit. I've considered trying to rule that only the leading base can attack or be attacked, but this just leads to more confusion and complications.

Well anyway, this has been Double Base Figure Movement 204. I hope you enjoyed the lecture. Please insert disk 2 to continue this course.

[EDIT: Ignore the backing up thing... it was never there, I swear ]
Old November 14th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Junge Roman has disabled reputation
Eclipse, my understanding is that "leading" and "tailing" refer to which end you start moving with first or which follows. If a figure "backs up," it just means that the leading base was just the part that visually looks like the back of the character. With this interpretation, there is no complication to the rule.
Old November 14th, 2006, 02:18 PM

ASmiles Woo who?
The problem you seem to have is that the "leading" base doesn't have to be the one where the figure is facing forward. For the double space figures, you simply pick one base and start moving with it. The other base automatically becomes the "tailing" base. Mimring flies just as well if he's going forwards or backwards.

Your "problematic" backing up of double-space figures, isn't really a problem. The "tailing" base (which might hold Mimring's head or his tail) simply follows the "leading" base.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles