Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old August 19th, 2008, 10:44 AM

Noxious Ghoul has disabled reputation
Re: 520 Point Competitive Armies

Well I'm only posting one army at the moment because my brain can not start building another army before it plays the army is currently has in it! Also this tournament that I might be attending is General Specific
Kato Katsuro; 200
Ashigaru Harquebus x2; 280
Ashigaru Yari x2; 400
Kaemon Awa 520!
This army has a size of 18 hexes. I want to play this army so badly but think that it lacks, how do you say, meat on it's bones. There seems to be so many problems with the Yari and Harquesbus, being that they are so weak and will fall easy prey to the Major Q9. But anyway, I would like to hear from the experts how many flaws are in this army, and maybe what I can do to duck or destroy certain units that might lay waste to this army.

40 POINTS!

Last edited by Noxious Ghoul; August 19th, 2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:49 PM

Or, my Utgar army idea;
(General Specific, 24 hex starting zone, No Glyphs)

2x Marrow Stingers.. 120 -120 (anti-Soulborg)
Death Walker 9,000. 140 - 260 (for those pesky common's) [50/50]
Cyprien Esenwein.... 150 - 410 (loves to feast on the flesh of the living)
Sonya Esewein........ 45 - 455 (loves to watch, and cheer)
Marrow Warriors...... 50 - 505 (4 attacks + a pain to kill = 50PTS!)
Isamu.................... 10 - 515 (Cherry Filling)
SIZE; 16 spaces! No bonding though.
Any idea's on how to change up this army to make it "better" would be nice. Although I like this army very much for the limitations on it.

40 POINTS!
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:08 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxious Ghoul View Post
Or, my Utgar army idea;
(General Specific, 24 hex starting zone, No Glyphs)

2x Marrow Stingers.. 120 -120 (anti-Soulborg)
Death Walker 9,000. 140 - 260 (for those pesky common's) [50/50]
Cyprien Esenwein.... 150 - 410 (loves to feast on the flesh of the living)
Sonya Esewein........ 45 - 455 (loves to watch, and cheer)
Marrow Warriors...... 50 - 505 (4 attacks + a pain to kill = 50PTS!)
Isamu.................... 10 - 515 (Cherry Filling)
SIZE; 16 spaces! No bonding though.
Any idea's on how to change up this army to make it "better" would be nice. Although I like this army very much for the limitations on it.
If you have 2 more squads of Stingers, I would switch out the Deathwalker for 2 more. His special attack is nice, but there are just too many figures that can punch through his defense once. With the extra 20 points, you could add Marcu to grab a glyph early game, or take out the Warriors and Isamu and add Deathreavers x2. Those little rodents are a pain for your opponent, controlling the glyphs and engaging their figures so they can't shoot at Stingers or Cyprien.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:29 PM

[/quote]If you have 2 more squads of Stingers, I would switch out the Deathwalker for 2 more. His special attack is nice, but there are just too many figures that can punch through his defense once. With the extra 20 points, you could add Marcu to grab a glyph early game, or take out the Warriors and Isamu and add Deathreavers x2. Those little rodents are a pain for your opponent, controlling the glyphs and engaging their figures so they can't shoot at Stingers or Cyprien.[/quote]

Nah, I only have two squads of stingers. I know Death Walker 9,000 is a gambit, but thought he might be so so with fending of Deathreavers and mass Stinger/4th players. I was trying to work some Deathreavers of my own in, but I am too afraid that I will not have enough special attacks to bypass defenses if I drop Death Walker 9,000.
(I will not be playing with Glyphs)

40 POINTS!
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:32 PM

Oh, I might drop Death Walker 9,000 for Death Walker 8,000 and switch Isuma for Marcu Esenwein.

40 POINTS!
Old August 21st, 2008, 01:37 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Not every army requires a special attack to be effective. There are some that don't have any special attacks at all. I think dropping Deathwalker for Deathreavers will be far more effective, to be honest. Deathwalker 7000 doesn't have a very useful special attack at all compared to the attacks of other units, especially considering that the opponent can avoid his special attack solely by splitting up. Add two squads of Deathreavers at least.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old August 22nd, 2008, 11:32 PM

Yeah, you're right about that Bloody. I only have two squads of Deathreavers but with for sure trash Death Walker 9,000 for my two squads of Deathreavers, at least. Hopefully I will be able to get my grubby hands on a SotM set so I can get some more Marro Stingers. Thank you for your responses, it has helped me very much.

40 POINTS!
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:44 AM

masterofthescape is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Here is my anti-elf army. It has been play tested very successfully.
Sparticus-200
Crixus-90
Retarius-90
Marro stingersx2-120

Winners wear red
Can you take the heat?
Old October 15th, 2008, 12:04 PM

wk4c knows what's in an order marker wk4c knows what's in an order marker

I acknowledge that this is a necro-post, and that this army is really obsolete due to the upcoming 540 point NHSD. However, there are still tourneys going on for 520 points, so without further ado..

Heavy Electrocution
210 - Heavy Gruts x3
390 - Marro Stingers x3
510 - Grimnak
520 - Isamu

I want some opinions on this one. How do you think it might hold up against some of the more competetive armies, like...

Competetive Army 1
350 - 4th Mass x5
520 - Sgt. Drake Alexander(SoTM)

Grimnak should be able to, with the support of the Gruts, get through the mass and into Sgt Drake, with the Stingers going 1-2 with the 4th Mass. It's really tough to call, mostly because I don't have enough 4th Mass to actually test this matchup.

Competetive Army 2
240 - Stingers x4
420 - Major Q9
520 - Krav Maga

In a previous game against Q9/Krav, I sent out Gruts/Grimnak first. Gruts really put the hurt on Q9 while Grimmy chomped up the Krav. It ended with me having a squad of stingers left and 2 gruts remaining. Tough game that could go either way any day, but I think my army has the edge here.

Competetive Army 3
120 - Blastatrons x2
360 - Gladiatrons x3
510 - Major Q10
520 - 10 Cent Ninja

This is the one I fear the most. In this game, my squads are going to have to pull more than their own weight because Grimnak ain't staying on the field for long once he get's out. It comes down to my 21 squad members going against his 20, plus Q10. Maybe Grimnak can cut down a few Glads before being slaughtered, but it's not very likely. With the gruts getting frozen in place and shot down every turn, it's going to get brutal. I still think that with strategy, my army could pull off the win.

This is the Army that totally owns mine.
185 - Zelrig
485 - Zombies x5
515 - Guilty McCreech

Act one: Zelrig swoops in and kills half my squads.
Act two: Zombies come in while I fire at them with my remaining.
Act three: Zombies reach me, my Orcs fight valiantly.
Act four: I lose the game.

Anyway, some opinions would be awesome. Maybe suggestions or estimates on how the matchups might go. Maybe you've even run this army before. Either way, it'd be great to get some input from some more experienced players.

Quadraphonic(x2), Hilo-Scaper, SuperflyTNT

1-4/3-1/3-2/3-2
10-9 = 53% Win pct.
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:20 AM

wk4c knows what's in an order marker wk4c knows what's in an order marker

No one? Seriously? lol, okay.

Two of my cousins came over last night, and we played some games. In one of them, I feilded an army that I really enjoyed playing.

"Too Many Baskets."
120 - Tagawa Samurai
220 - Kozuke Samurai
280 - Izumi Samurai
360 - Raelin(RoTV)
460 - Syvarris
520 - Deadeye Dan

I played this army against..

120 - Krug
180 - Deadeye Dan
280 - Sir Denrick
390 - Brunak
520 - Deathwalker 8000

On Turret Rocks.

Very uncompetetive scenario, I know. The game started out with me moving my Tagawa into the basin with Syvarris on top gaurding them. Syvarris picked off DW8K, Deadeye, and in an epic battle on the top of a turret, Syvarris killed Brunak after he wiped out the Tagawa.

I then sent out Deadeye, and he didn't do anything but get killed by Krug. I turtled, putting the Izumi in front of Raelin and the Kozuke waiting in the back to come out. Finally, Krug was in range. I put 6 wounds on him, and he eventually killed the Izumi. I got a counterstrike in though, so he now had 7 wounds. Well, he won the initative and killed Raelin, but it was a close game.

I really liked how the turtling went. I know, I know..."Just use knights!" But the Samurai have such an amazing potential when used right...those 9 can take on 16 knights easily, as long as they have proper support. I love how their balanced into Defensive, Offensive, and Average, so you can turtle with the Izumi and hope for some counterstrike hits while the other two wreak havok.

Well, I'm done raving. But I would really like some opinions on both of the armies I posted.

(Sorry for the double post.)

Quadraphonic(x2), Hilo-Scaper, SuperflyTNT

1-4/3-1/3-2/3-2
10-9 = 53% Win pct.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 02:15 AM
Warning! Reading my posts may make you smarter

mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk4c View Post
I acknowledge that this is a necro-post, and that this army is really obsolete due to the upcoming 540 point NHSD. However, there are still tourneys going on for 520 points, so without further ado..

Heavy Electrocution
210 - Heavy Gruts x3
390 - Marro Stingers x3
510 - Grimnak
520 - Isamu

I want some opinions on this one. How do you think it might hold up against some of the more competetive armies, like...

Competetive Army 3
120 - Blastatrons x2
360 - Gladiatrons x3
510 - Major Q10
520 - 10 Cent Ninja

This is the one I fear the most. In this game, my squads are going to have to pull more than their own weight because Grimnak ain't staying on the field for long once he get's out. It comes down to my 21 squad members going against his 20, plus Q10. Maybe Grimnak can cut down a few Glads before being slaughtered, but it's not very likely. With the gruts getting frozen in place and shot down every turn, it's going to get brutal. I still think that with strategy, my army could pull off the win.

This is the Army that totally owns mine.
185 - Zelrig
485 - Zombies x5
515 - Guilty McCreech

Act one: Zelrig swoops in and kills half my squads.
Act two: Zombies come in while I fire at them with my remaining.
Act three: Zombies reach me, my Orcs fight valiantly.
Act four: I lose the game.
Disclaimer: I have no experience with Glads/Blasts, but based on the posts on this site and the potential power of this combination that I can imagine, I fear facing them.

One strategy I would propose for dealing with the Glads/Blasts would be to try and surround Grimnak with your own Heavy Gruts save for one or two spaces. In this scenario, you might be able to get one chomp per turn and your Heavies could still attack and benefit from his aura. Additionally, maybe the Stingers could trail Grimnak/Heavies and try to pick off and/or free up the cyberclawed Heavies/Grimnak.

Regarding the Zelrig and Zombies army, I am inclined to suggest that such an army is more of a specific counter-draft to your own army rather than a reliable, competititve, or well-rounded tournament army. For instance, how would that army reliably kill Q9? I love zombies, but they are sloooowww... Q9 has great range and many activations per turn. Q9 may come paired with Raelin, Laglor, and/or the Krav. The Krav, alone, should have a field day with the Zelrig and Zombies army you proposed.

I apologize that I'm not a tournament pro, so my insights may be of limited usefullness to you. Anyways, those are my . Cheers.
Old October 30th, 2008, 08:30 AM

Sinclair5150 is surprisingly tart

I'm a relative noob and don't have a tremendous amount of figs yet but what about this Marro/Utgar army:

90 - Ne-Gok-Sa
140 - Marro Warriors x 1
270 - Grok Riders x 1
510 - Wolves of Badru x 3
520 - Isamu

At the very least it's a pretty cool looking army. I enjoy themed armies.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion