Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Notices

Old August 31st, 2015, 07:41 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Fan Fic Contest Archive

Challenge 58 - January 25th, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
A massive army lingers on the horizon. You and your small band of loyal soldiers stand no chance of winning. But you don't have to win. You just have to kill as many of them as you can before you are overrun. This fortified position has everything you need. Tonight will go down in Valhallan history.
So that's that. Basically, you command a small force (it can be ten soldiers, it can be a thousand so long as you're still heavily outnumbered), defending some sort of fortified position (it can be the last stand at a Valkyrie's capital or an enemy fort you just took over and now reinforcements are on their way, or anything--the point is, there's no running from this fight one way or another). Your soldiers can hail from any General or Generals (a ragtag team or an organized battalion?) fighting any sort of Army (a bunch of B-movie bad guys or an elite battle hardened force?), so much of it is up to you. How do you hold them off? What clever tactics might you employ? What's your motive for staying? How strong are your foes? Basically, how impressive will this feat of yours be? I will be judging based on good writing, original scenarios, clever tactics, impressive feats, and overall wow factor.

You've got a maximum of 14,001 words.
Second Place - The Grim Reaper's Friend
Spoiler Alert!

First Place - Marro_Warlord
Spoiler Alert!
Old August 31st, 2015, 07:47 PM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Challenge 59 - April 8th, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
As the battles were reaching their climax, the Valkyrie discovered the wellspring's powers had dried up. However, the most recent summons by Vydar reveal that there are more wellsprings, albeit on another planet. Now, all the generals know the new location of the wellsprings.
How will they reach the wellsprings? Who will reach them? Will they battle over the wellsprings? No one knows until they are discovered.
Bonus points for most original form of transport to the wellsprings!
First Place - TheAverageFan (Default Win)
Spoiler Alert!

Note: Due to technical difficulties at the time of posting, some formatting has been lost within the stories.
Old August 31st, 2015, 07:57 PM

Challenge 60 - May 9th, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
For this next prompt, I want you to write two separate stories that somehow intersect at least once. They can be pretty much anything Heroscape-related, so long as there are two of them and at one point they connect. It can be at the beginning, middle, end, or connect multiple times all over the place. How does one affect the other? Show me how well you can juggle two stories! Can both hold my attention?
You're otherwise pretty free to choose what you write about, so any Heroscapey idea that comes into your head is fair game. You've got a word limit of 10,000 words for each story, although they should be around equal length. And remember, I'll pick an entry with two mediocre stories over an entry with one really strong story and one really weak one.
Second Place - Tornado
Spoiler Alert!

First Place - The Grim Reaper's Friend
Spoiler Alert!
Old August 31st, 2015, 08:02 PM

Challenge 61 - June 2nd, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Suspense
For this tale, I want suspense. I want the kind of tension that literally gets you on the edge of your seat, wondering what is going to happen next, because you know something is going to happen, you just don't know what, or when, or who to...
How you get the suspense onto the page is up to you. As long as I find myself waiting, turning page after page with baited breath... that's what I want.

I do NOT want:
  1. Thriller versus suspense. Don't get this wrong. I have nothing against you writing a thriller. I just don't want the 'thrill' part of it taking the place of suspense. I want to find myself turning pages because of suspense, not because I can't put it down. If I can't put the suspenseful writing down, that's even better. Suspense, not thriller.
  2. Pure suspense. Just throwing a suspenseful scene onto paper won't work. Yes, I want suspense, but not at the cost of the rest of the story. At its most basic level, I still want to read a good story. I just want some really good suspense thrown in.
First Place - TheAverageFan (Default Win)
Spoiler Alert!

Old November 17th, 2015, 05:49 PM

Challenge 62 - October 7th, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Oh no! Utgar has summoned the evil M. Night Shyamalan to Valhalla! Now all attempts at good writing or characters have been thrown into the garbage--only the twists matter anymore. And they're not even good twists at this point. I mean, the monsters are people in suits!? The story was more interesting before you threw that in there! But I digress.

The only way to banish Shyamalan back to Earth is to write a entry that has a good twist, without being at the cost of a good story. Will you be able to fool me effectively?
For this prompt, I want you to write a story with a good twist in it. It can be about anything Heroscape-related, so your options are open. But it won't be easy to pull one over on me--I know my stuff! You've got 20,000 words, so there'll be plenty of time to set your surprise up while keeping your entry engaging.

And remember, a good twist makes sense! All of your characters suddenly turning into different snowmen versions of George Takei may be hard to see coming, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good twist!
Third Place - Marro_Warlord
Spoiler Alert!

Second Place - Lazy Orang
Spoiler Alert!

First Place - The Grim Reaper's Friend
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by TGRF; February 6th, 2016 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Next updater: start at page 251, post 3002.
Old February 6th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Challenge 63 - November 17th, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
Quote:
Though there has been no record of it until now, the inns, halls, and random dark corners of Valhalla have played host to a rather disturbing collection of rumors concerning the prophet, Raknar.
It's not every day someone has a vision, and the good people of Valhalla are curious as to how it happened. Some say Raknar is blessed by the gods. Some say he uses his wisdom to foresee the future. Then again, most say he saw his vision at the bottom of a tankard.
But enough about Raknar. This prompt has absolutely nothing to do with him. It does, however, concern the future of Valhalla.
Wars often bring about great changes in a world. Add in a cast of intriguing characters full of drive and action, and the change can go any which way. Combine that with a world full of original stories, bursting with plots and plans just waiting to be discovered, and endless opportunity bursting at the six-sided seams, and the future can be anything, anything at all.
For this prompt, write me a tale of the future of Valhalla. We all know how the war begins, and the characters involved. We know some of the battles, some of the plans. But we don't know how things end. We don't even know if they end.
What happens? Will your tale begin where the developers left off? Or will hundreds of years have passed? Have the soulborgs taken over with a combination of marro plague, sinister plots, and underpriced frost giants? Or have the orcs of Grut startled all by suing for peace and starting the first Valhallian college of literature?
The future of Valhalla rests in your hands...

Bonus points for originality.
Your tale doesn't necessarily have to be about the future. As long as it is set in an interesting and original future, I'm good.
Second Place - Lazy Orang
Spoiler Alert!

First Place - The Average Fan
Spoiler Alert!

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old February 6th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Challenge 64 - December 20th, 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
A non-Heroscape iconic character is summoned to Valhalla. Detail their adventures.

You could have Simon Belmont fighting Cyprien. You could have Indiana Jones dungeon crawling for an artifact. You could have Solid Snake infiltrating a Valkyrie's castle to assassinate a target or rescue a hostage. It's entirely up to you.

Despite kinda already being Heroscape, I'll permit Marvel characters for this as well.
Third Place - Tornado
Spoiler Alert!

Second Place - jesus20456

First Place - Dysole
Spoiler Alert!

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Last edited by Lazy Orang; February 6th, 2016 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Next updater: start at page 259, post 3099.
Old September 28th, 2017, 01:13 PM

Challenge 65 - February 3rd, 2016
Quote:
Code:
Make me cry
Limit: 5036. Kudos if you know why I chose that number.
Honorable Mention (Executive) - TGRF
Spoiler Alert!

First Place - TAF (Executive Win)
Part 1 (submitted)
Spoiler Alert!

Part 2
Spoiler Alert!

Note that executive results are not counted in an author's competitive rating. Executive results occur when the judge is delinquent and executive action is required to move the contest forwards.

Last edited by TGRF; September 28th, 2017 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Start at page 265, post #3180

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction