Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Notices

Old January 24th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Wizards of the Coast Staff Member

wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scape_Scrub11
Paul I work for a local gaming store and I have the owner bring in what Waves I tell him if they have them, but they only have 7, I not really sure where he orders from, I will have to ask him... but will this change so he could order any Wave at any time...if you don't understand the qestion, just say so...

- Thanks
I imagine that it'll get a bit easier for you to get backlist product. Maybe not every wave, but definitely some. (and no, this won't happen immediately - we'd have to reorder, and that takes some time)
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:02 PM

wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Please, keep the old card design. It gives HS a unique look, and although I, like many, despised it at first for its inconvenience, it has grown on me.

Q:So, with Wizards' staff members on this site, does that mean they will look at custom threads for ideas of what HS fans want? I understand there may be a legal problem with this, in regards to whose idea it was, but what if the thread had something like:

"I NAME give permission to and encourage Wizards of the Coast staff members to use the ideas presented in this thread*"
We're keeping the card design as is - photos, and hex-shaped.

As for customs, no, our designers won't look at the customs area of the site - we get into all kinds of sticky legal issues if we do, even if there are disclaimers etc. We'll mostly be looking at the various threads that have been set up for us to look at, so if you have anything you want to suggest, let us know in one of those threads.
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatespuppet
Couple quick questions for Mr Barclay that I hope haven't been asked;

1. You've mentioned a couple of topics you'd like us to discuss and offer suggestions for, but is there some way we can make reading these easier? Would a summary list on the first page make things easier? I know we already do this for our figure counts and things, so I'm sure compiling suggestions and maybe even vote totals could be done.

2. Any chance we could see some non-game related HS merchandise? Keyrings of the general's symbols, t-shirts with nifty slogans, etc. would probably sell well to us addicts.
1. I think that could be very useful!

2. I like swag as much as the next gamer, but it's going to be a lower priority than some other stuff.
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemaster
I have a new question, but just in case my first question was not answered because it was missed, I'll repost it.

Quote:
Now that Heroscape is under WOTC's wings, and Craig is no longer "in charge" of Heroscape, is it possible that he could, if he so chooses, post on Heroscapers.com? It would be nice to have him as a part of the community, and it would allow us to get clear, quick answers to rules questions. It is understandable though, if the answer remains no.
My new question:

Any chance on giving us the stats of the Wave 8 figures? We have a few from back at Gencon, but by the time they come out, it will have been almost a year, and that is a long time to know what they look like but not what they do. The wait would be made much less painful if we could know what they do. (Plus you would be made a hero of the Scaper community, even more than you already are).

But again, it is understandable if the answer is no.
I don't get to decide whether Craig's allowed to post or not. That's up to Craig's boss.

You'll get wave 8 stats before the wave comes out. Just not yet...
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helznicht
Will the old tree and road set make it back into productin in some form, soon?
Yes. We've managed to secure a bunch of those packs for distribution to stores right now. We'll talk to the big chain stores (although this always takes time); if you want to see them in your local hobby store or online retailer, you should go in and ask them to order some.
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauvros2
I must wonder will thorum's journal be completed or has it already reached its ending. Other than that I see a bright future in store for scape after the transfer.
It hasn't reached its ending, that I know. Whether or not it will continue I'm not sure of.
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champrjk
I have no hobby shops near where I live. We did have a WotC but it went out of business years ago. If big box stores cease to carry heroscape I'll be forced to buy all mine online.
If you're close to Portland, then you might have some options. Try these three (they all do Magic Friday Night Magic):
Guardian Games Portland OR (503) 238-4000
Loki's Games Portland OR (503) 774-8467
Other Worlds Portland OR (503) 244-0290

One of the biggest problems with FLGSs is not that they're incredibly rare (there are more of them than there are Target stores), but that they can be really hard to find.
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronsac
Will the price for LGS owners go down now that WoTC has control of the brand?

Because one of the main reasons my LGS owner refuses to carry HS is that he is undercut pretty badly by big box stores and it seems like thats pretty much the case everywhere I've been. LGS' and hobby shops have to sell unit packs at 15 dollars (or more) and big packs at 30+, while Wal*Mart, Target and other places can sell the same stuff at 10 and 20 dollars.
Yes. With the changes we've made to discounts for FLGSs, they should find it a lot easier to compete with the big box stores.
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Shackle
Mr. Barclay

I hate to bring a negative tone to a thread everyone is so excited about, but I've recently sent in several rules questions to WotC via the Advanced FAQ link, and have gotten some truly rediculous answers. Some answers even conflicted with that same FAQ I know others have had this same issue, as I've posted a thread and gotten many in agreement. Could you give some kind of explanation and let us know if this problem will be fixed. You guys are the official source for answers now, we need the correct answers.

Thank you.
We're taking steps to make rules answers more accurate - you should see some improvements in the coming months. Even with the best system, however, there will always be incorrect answers. So, if you recieve an answer from customer service that you believe is incorrect, the best thing to do is to contact them and politely let them know (our CS folks have to be experts on every one of our games, not just on Heroscape, and that's a very hard job to do).
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc
WOTC: Are you going to continue trying to expand the fan base of Heroscape or are you going to focus more on the current fans?

The clearest answer would be a percentage of importance you put on current versious new fans.
I know you may not want to be clear because this could be seen as a loaded question, and it is, but my personal loading is different from what you may expect. I would be pleased to find out that while we are an important concern expansion is your primary focus. I hope to see a day when HS is in a Monopoly type of game. One everyone knows how to play (more or less).
In line with this I hope HS always keeps a focus on playability. Yea, special abilities are cool, but in the end of the day the game should be and is simple enough that you don't need to read the rule book before having a good time. (Contrast with D&D.)
Importance of current fans to the game's success: 100%.
Importance of gaining new fans to the game's success: 100%.

We need both, plain and simple. To that end, there's a fine line we have to walk between accessibility (simple, clear rules), and keeping people interested (clever, new mechanics).
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies
For wotcPaul: Can you assure us that Heroscape is currently a profitable product?
Right this minute, it's profitable. We have some problems with some of our costs that we've got to get under control to keep it that way. It's not a major issue - we've solved much bigger cost problems before. Our aim is to make sure it'll be profitable for the next 5 years and beyond.

The real key to continued profitability is you guys. Getting your feedback is part of this. Another piece is going to be asking you to help us persuade store owners to carry it, and persuade players in those stores to pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies
I ask this having recently browsed the Dreamscape forums on WotC's site, particularly the thread discussing the cancellation of that game. It reminded me a lot of the doom & gloom threads we had going here before WotC's announcement. It also showed me that some people seem to think that your company has a habit of not supporting struggling games, a reputation I hadn't heard of before. The timing of the cancellation (Oct. '07) also seems to coincide with this transfer of Heroscape to your company. I guess I just want some assurance that this transfer wasn't just to fill some perceived void in WotC left by Dreamblade's cancellation, and that Heroscape will be treated better than that game was. Thanks.
Heroscape's transfer had nothing to do with Dreamblade at all. That cancellation happend way before anyone even thought of transferring Heroscape. However, I think you're right - we do have a habit of not giving enough support to games that are going through change, and that's a habit that I want to break us out of. (I don't want to use the term "struggling games" because Heroscape is definitely not struggling)
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
For the Wizards.

If we had a current order or an order to be called in with hasbro before the transfer would Wizards take care of us and our predicament?
It's still Hasbro (or one of our distributors) for now, depending on what the order was. After April 1st, it's definitely Wizards (or, again, one of our distributors).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News