Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old September 14th, 2016, 02:48 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Craig Van Ness Q&A Thread

Hello Craig and welcome to Heroscapers.com! (As weird as that feels; saying "welcome" to someone who was primarily responsible for the existence of the game that this forum revolves around.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
Also, I think Heroscape has a big father/son following which tends to make it more about having fun with the family, less about destroying and humiliating your opponent in every tournament game.
My son and I started playing on Christmas Day of 2004 (when he was 8 years old) and we are still playing it. Thanks for creating such a great game.

No questions yet ... just wanted to say hello

Edit: Oh wait, it's a Q&A thread, so I better ask something...

Was there ever any discussion at Hasbro about changing how expansions were packaged for retailers, so that store owners could order x-number of boxes that just had copies of Uniques in them, and order x-number of boxes that just had Commons in them? I remember way back in the day, running around from store to store, unsuccessfully trying to find more "Road to the Forgotten Forest" sets, only to see piles and piles of unsold "Orm's Return" on the shelf. I later found out that this was because each box the retailer got had 3 sets of Orm's and 1 set of RttFF in it.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; September 14th, 2016 at 03:08 AM.
Old September 14th, 2016, 12:05 PM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
I don't have a question, but I do have Thanks.

Back around Christmas 2007 my life was not as amazing at it is now. I was in a bad relationship and had drifted from friends and family. I had seen Heroscape since it was first released, but for some reason that Christmas I figured I would treat myself and I bought both master sets (even though I really had no-one to play with). Over the following months I found this online community and an offline one. I collected more units and learnt everything I could about the game. Whenever I was down I still had my hobby to keep me sane.

It has been Years now, and I reconnected with my friends and family, got married and a new son that I can't wait to introduce Heroscape Too. As cliché as it seems, the game you designed helped me get through some tough times.

I'm more grateful than I can express here, and just wanted you to know.
Thanks for sharing wriggz. Your story put a big smile on my face!
Old September 14th, 2016, 12:12 PM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Probably a Hasbro IP question, so if you can't answer, that's OK:

We've heard rumors. Is it true that Star Wars Heroscape was developed and never released?
We did create many army cards for the Star Wars Heroscape.
Old September 14th, 2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmalloy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
We came up with several ideas for Game Systems using miniatures. I think the plastic terrain made Heroscape stand out.

Given the number of tabletop miniature games that were readily adaptable to the use of Heroscape terrain tiles, was there ever any discussion about marketing packages of just the terrain tiles?
Yes, many discussions. I think we could of done a much better job giving the hobby market a piece of the Heroscape line.
Old September 14th, 2016, 12:29 PM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Any chance we could get a Craig Van Ness custom as a National Heroscape Day surprise some day?
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
I'd like to know about the connection the Arena of the Planeswalkers game has to Heroscape. Obviously, that game built off the Heroscape foundation and then went in a slightly different direction. Were you involved in those design decisions and can you elaborate on why those decisions were made?

Thank you!
We worked on several MTG boardgames before landing on the one that is similar to Heroscape. That was the game WOTC liked the most.
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MementoMori View Post
Welcome Craig!

Is there any special terrain that was designed and never released? I mean both because it didn't work or because production was halted.
Here is one question I cannot answer completely. Yes, we developed lots of different kinds of terrain that did not make it to market, but Hasbro still owns those concepts/ideas, so I don't think I should share.
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSparkleInYourWater View Post
Craig,

Why does Taelord cost so much?
This question made me lol.
Do you really want me to answer this? Not sure if you still have old heroscapers pod casts available, but I think I answered this question many many years ago.
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Thanks for answering so many questions! It's really great to learn so much about Heroscape. I've enjoyed this game with my dad for more than half of my life, and it is really fun to read the thoughts of someone who made that all happen.

Which figures are you proudest of releasing? Or happiest with the end product?
Old September 14th, 2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates
Donald X. Vaccarino has posted extensively about the creation and publication of Dominion. One of the things that has most interested me about that story is that, until recently, all of the cards and expansions that were published were more or less already created and planned out when DXV brought the game to the publisher. Heroscape had a very different formation, since it was created internally within Hasbro. Nonetheless I'm curious--how far along were the game's later releases when, say, RotV went to press?
Dominion. My dominion cards are worn from playing that game.
When RotV went to press I think we had waves 1,2, and 3 in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
In a similar vein, several of the units in the game were released before the units that they synergized with. In some cases, we know this was on purpose (e.g. the gladiators). I'm curious: did you ever intentionally design and publish units that had synergy with other units that did not yet exist WITHOUT having anything pinned down for them to synergize with?
Not sure I completely understand this question. We wanted to create lots of opportunities to mix and match armies in different ways. We also wanted to create a couple ways to field what I would call standard armies. The marro, orcs, and samurai are examples. It was a planned process, but we also flexed a bit when needed. Sometimes, if players thought an army card was over costed we would look for ways to synergize that card with future army cards or planned armies.

Quote:
Do you have any advice to aspiring game designers? Or, separately, advice to aspiring creatives of any kind?
Game Designer Advice- This could be a long answer, I'll give you the short one.
Get a mentor if you can.
Get to a playable prototype as soon as possible, then surround yourself with players that want to contribute and are good at contributing. Play, Improve, Play, Improve, keep going until you are happy or you want to try designing a different game.

Don't waste time or money on art until you have designed a game that you are very happy with.

Advice for creatives of any kind-
Work hard. Do your best. Have fun. That's what I tell my kids everyday before they go to school. If you are doing something creative, you are probably already having fun.

Quote:
I am so excited to see you posting on these boards. I hope you feel comfortable sticking around for a while. Heroscape was the first board game I got really into and is my favorite board game to this day. I look forward to when my kids are old enough that I can teach it to them.
I've always been here, just not posting... Thanks for the kind words.

Last edited by Craig Van Ness; September 14th, 2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old September 14th, 2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Hi Craig!!!

Did you really think / feel Marvel was supposed to be mixed and that it was a good idea to do so???

Totally kidding ..............mostly
R˙chean- good to hear from you!

We always kept them separate when we would get together and play. While designing, we did playtest them against each other to make them balanced if players wanted to mix the worlds.
Old September 14th, 2016, 02:34 PM

stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Craig,

First of all I can't even begin to thank you for the countless hours I've spent with friends, nephews/nieces and my kids playing this incredible game over the years.

I bumped into Rob, bungee & co at gencon this year and when they recognized the heroscapers.com logo on the shirt I was wearing he introduced himself. Poor guy...I went total fanboy on him to thank him as well.

In 2007 I asked you to autograph an entire set of RotV cards to give away on this site.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=11543

In 2008, I bumped into you again and asked you to do the same for a SotM...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=20863

I forgot to keep one for myself. Any chance of getting an autographed Drake card?

...and was this Evil Raelin ever considered for production?

Again-

Thank you for this game and best wishes on your future endeavors with Soaring Rhino.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion