Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old February 10th, 2007, 01:37 AM

Nakita_yeahtheydothat has disabled reputation
Subwoofer Advice Needed

I need some subwoofer advice.

I own:

2 - 12" Sony Xplod (red swirl) subs (never been hooked up)
2 - 15" Sony Xplod (red swirl) subs (never been hooked up)
1 - Kicker two channel 100 watt amp
1 - 4 channel alpine amp (something like 65 watts a channel)
1 - dual 12" q-logic sealed/ported convertable box
1- Pioneer Premier PDEH-880PRS headunit

So here is the problem. . . I wish to take what I own plus around $150 and create one bad a&& system.

This system will be going in the trunk of a Nissan Sentra Spec-V.

I know my way around car stero systems pretty good BUT have been out of the loop for awhile.

Do I need to sell my speakers and amps and buy fewer items with better quality OR should I keep the 15's, sell the twelves and buy an amp for the 15's?

Will someone with a little more knowledge help me out PLZ!

Too close for missles . . . I'm switching to guns.
Old February 10th, 2007, 01:40 AM

P.S. I can build speaker boxes (would rather buy tho) and can install speakers, amps, headunit, and all wiring.

P.P.S. If the consensus is to sell some or all of my stuff, everyone on this board will get first shot.

Old February 10th, 2007, 01:54 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Perhaps a forum about speakers would be able to answer you better? Unless we have some speaker masters here.
Old February 10th, 2007, 01:58 AM

P.P.P.S. Just found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JENSEN-VM931...QQcmdZViewItem

Should I replace my Pioneer Premier headunit for this???

I believe the screen would be cool but wouldn't the pioneer be better adjusting sound for the trunk system?

Would the ebay item with an equalizer be just as good as the pioneer???

Old February 10th, 2007, 02:02 AM

P.P.P.P.S. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with "offbrand" amplifiers like pyle, pyramid, volfenhag??? Would rather stick with something like rockford fosgate or kicker but you never know. . .

Old February 10th, 2007, 02:03 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
You do know you can edit posts right?
Old February 10th, 2007, 02:04 AM

Trying speaker forums as we speak (or type) just thought I would post on here also.

Old February 10th, 2007, 02:09 AM

insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker
Ok, I know my way around really good. Was MECP certified, just never renewed the certificate.

Running the 12's with the 15's could cause a phasing problem if run together as sub woofers in a confimed area as your trunk. The 12 is quicker to respond then the 15 (bit more mass and air to move). This *could* cause a slight echo or reverb. BUT, what Bass do you want? What music do you listen to? 15's will give you that deep low bass that hip hop requires, 12's can do this, but not as well unless in a finely tunes ported box. 10-12" speakers will give you more or a punch for the rapid hits in rock music. So, what kind of music do you listen to?

Amps. Your kicker, what is the ohm rating on it? If it can go to 2 or 0 ohms, that could be the amp to keep as wiring the speakers will play a big part in "getting the most out of the amp."

Your Pioneer is a good unit. I don't know how old it is, or even how fancy it is, but do you know the wattage the RCA outputs (if it has them) put out? This also will help "boost" the amps power.

Personally I hate Q-Logic boxes. With a passion!!!

I'd keep the alpine amp for my surround speakers. Hook them up to the speakers in the car door and rear deck for mids and highs. Will give a much better sound if the amp is a good quality piece.
Old February 10th, 2007, 02:17 AM

insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakita_yeahtheydothat
P.P.P.P.S. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with "offbrand" amplifiers like pyle, pyramid, volfenhag??? Would rather stick with something like rockford fosgate or kicker but you never know. . .
I've never had any great luck with Pyle, Pyramid and never heard of Volfenhag. The brands that I've had the best luck at, with a small price tag was Lancer. I had 4 12" crossfires hooked to 1 Lancer amp and it blew the seals out of my windows. Ouch.... That was in the competition days.

If you can afford Rockford of Kicker, I'd choose Kicker hands down. Is this system for clarity, boom, both, none of the above?
Old February 10th, 2007, 02:23 AM

Ok, sorry I didn't go over this point.

I THOROUGHLY enjoy nice deep ear pentetrating brain oozing bass. BUT I want it heard down the road. . .

I don't wish to run ALL 4 subs.

My ideal situation would be one 15 with like two 10's or 8's. . . I like the rockford fosgate punch dual voice coil 8's.

Should I sell my two sony 15's to upgrade to one nicer 15.

Kicker amp is rated at 2 or 4 ohms. NOT 0 ohms tho.

I have rockford fosgate punch 6 1/2s in front and rear.

Thank you for helping me. I feel that I have enough stuff that I should be able to come out with a top notch system.

Should I go with two kicker comp vr 10's instead of rockfords??? Only mentioned rockford because that is what the theme has been so far (change is not bad tho).

Old February 10th, 2007, 02:25 AM

Basically guys, please help me get a system that will have awesome clarity and quality but will rattle my bones (in a deep bass way)

Old February 10th, 2007, 02:27 AM

Should I sell everything and buy one awesome 15 with one awesome amp???

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General