Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old June 3rd, 2006, 12:38 AM

Barfodor has disabled reputation
Ya, a friend of mine makes custom LOTR figures an scenes. He told me of a place at the mall nearby where they have dead trees, and moss that looks & feels like real moss. Put that on the trees and they look really good. Maybe I could coat the grass tiles with that stuff and maybe have it a bit more "grassy" looking. Ill give it a try!
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Rhetoric has disabled reputation
I'm working my way through the painting part of the process and have a quick question for you Grish. I've noticed that the paint makes the tiles a bit rough and they don't slide and stack as easily any more. Don't get me wrong, they still go together fine, it just takes a little manipulating.

Can you or anyone else recommend something to put on them to make them a little more slick without looking glossy?

Thanks!
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:45 PM

I hadn't seen these posted yet but I thought someone may like to have them. Here are PDF versions of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th installments of the Grish's Custom Terrain series.
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetoric
I'm working my way through the painting part of the process and have a quick question for you Grish. I've noticed that the paint makes the tiles a bit rough and they don't slide and stack as easily any more. Don't get me wrong, they still go together fine, it just takes a little manipulating.

Can you or anyone else recommend something to put on them to make them a little more slick without looking glossy?

Thanks!
I do not have a recommendation for anything to put on them to make them slide together easier. I'm afraid to put anything on them like oil, that would just eventually go all over the place and be a mess.

You have to keep the paint and varnish/sealer on the sides of the tiles as thin as possible or you will change the tolerances too much. Mine are a little more difficult to put together and take apart than a non painted tile would be (but I have a problem taking apart even nonpainted tiles sometimes). And, if you get too sloppy on the tops of the tiles and build up the glue and/or flock too much around the edges of the hexes the tiles will not stack properly either. This isn't so bad with the softer flock that I've used for grass and sand but it can be a real problem with the non-giving rock tiles. Some of my rock tiles fit a little tight. My solution has been to just scrape away the problem areas with a knife and repaint the ares that get scraped off. But most the time I just live with any tiles that might not fit exactly together. I agree with you when you say: "Don't get me wrong, they still go together fine, it just takes a little manipulating." That's a good way to sum it up.

Hope that helps.
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth Grishnakh is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetoric
I hadn't seen these posted yet but I thought someone may like to have them. Here are PDF versions of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th installments of the Grish's Custom Terrain series.
Way cool! Thanks Rhetoric!
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:19 PM

AwesomeCoolGuy has disabled reputation
DUDE! This is the sweetest custom terrain I have ever seen! I would make some but I'm way to lazy.
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:37 PM

SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker
Can someone post the PDF download of the 1st one that Truth said he put on the first page? I guess I'm blind but I've looked through the first page 10 times and don't see it anywhere.

Thank you.

Great, tremendous work Grish.

My Recent Plays:
Old June 5th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikkRikk
Can someone post the PDF download of the 1st one that Truth said he put on the first page? I guess I'm blind but I've looked through the first page 10 times and don't see it anywhere.

Thank you.

Great, tremendous work Grish.
As on the post on the front page:

http://heroscapers.com/wp-content/up...%20Terrain.pdf
Old June 5th, 2006, 02:42 PM

SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker
Gracias.

When I get time, I'm churning out 3 sets of these. Time! YAH RIGHT!

Grish - do you do any work with bridges? Snow? Lava?

My Recent Plays:
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Titleless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikkRikk
When I get time, I'm churning out 3 sets of these. Time! YAH RIGHT!

Grish - do you do any work with bridges? Snow? Lava?
I've got several ideas in the planning stages right now. To quote you again however: "Time! YAH RIGHT! "
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:35 AM

Whew....well I just finished painting and flocking my 2 master sets. Thanks so much to Grishnakh for the detailed procedures!

I think it looks pretty good even though my lack of patience meant I wasn't as careful when doing some things. I will post some pics next week of the finished product when I have a chance.

In the meantime, I thought I'd post some of the "difficulties" I ran into, costs involved since it seems a lot of people are strapped for cash, and some things I did a little differently than Grish.

First I want to look at expenses.

1. Painting - I was clueless as to how much paint to buy. I wasn't sure how far it would go. It turns out I bought way more than I needed. I got 3 bottles of Green, 2 Gray and 2 Sand colored, and 1 Black and was worried that I wouldn't have enough Green...boy, was I wrong.

I completed 2 full master sets with only 1 little 2 oz. bottle of each color. The Gray and Sand colors are still nearly full and the Green still has a little more in it.

Each 2 oz. bottle runs about $1 to $1.50. A good flat brush runs a couple bucks. I got a set of 10 brushes for $4.

Paint (1 Green, 1 Gray, 1 Sand, 1 Black) = $5
Brushes = $3
Total of around $7 - $8

Have more master sets? Just get an extra bottle or two of Green since the Gray, Sand, & Black will go a long way. No need to get more brushes assuming you take care of the ones you got.

2. Flocking - I have enough flock for the next 5 master sets I buy. Get the smallest bags you can find. At my local Model Railroad store, I got the 18 cu. in. bag of the Gray and Sand and a 50 cu. in. bag of the Green Blend (I don't think it comes any smaller). That is plenty...especially of the Green...wow. Check out http://www.woodlandscenics.com/ if you want to look at this stuff.

The one thing I did use up more quickly is the glue. Although, the one medium size bottle I got, did do both master sets, so it went pretty far.

I used the same brush for the glue that I did the paint, so no need to get new ones.

18 cu. in bag Gray = $4
18 cu. in bag Sand = $4
50 cu. in bag Green = $7
Elmer's Glue (I'll check on the oz I got) = $3 - $4
Total around $20

So, in order to paint and flock everything, here is an estimated summary of expenses per master set. (I only have 2 so keep in mind this is an estimate)

1st Master Set = $28 - $30
2nd Master Set = Nothing additional
3rd Master Set = + $1 (1 2oz bottle Green Paint)
4th Master Set = + $7 - $8 (Glue & maybe Gray flock)
5th Master Set = + $1 (Green paint)

I know some people have more than that, but if so, they're probably not worried about the cost of this stuff anyway.

Just remember, the largest cost for painting and flocking everything is your time.
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Right..No Left!.. No I mean Right!

Lotus is surprisingly tart
I wonder if would be possible to put all your pieces together and spray paint them with Fusion Spray Paint? Anyone try this?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles