Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old July 29th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Master Custom Creator

justjohn knows what's in an order marker justjohn knows what's in an order marker
justjohn finally gets to shape young minds.

So, I doubt many of you know this, but I graduated from college in december of last year, and have been trying to get a job teaching. It's what I always wanted to do, but it is a tough job to get, teaching secondary, because of all of the new requirements of No Child Left Behind.

The search began in March, and finally ended last wed. It actually ended in mid May, but the absolute hell I went through from May to this week is a story in and of itself. A very long, drawn out story which I will gladly tell if anyone is interested.

I am now a Civics/Citizenship teacher (basically watered-down US government for 9th graders) at Jonesboro High School, and I begin on Tuesday of this upcoming week. I also begin working on my Masters of Education: Social Studies the same day. Needless to say, I'm in for a whirlwind ride. Especially since my degree is in History, and I'll be teaching government, but you have to start somewhere, good thing my I have strong background in US history, which helps.

If you don't see me around as much, you'll know why. But I'm so excited about my new job, and I can't wait to start. I also can't wait to get my masters done with, so I can relax a bit. New job + Graduate education is going to be rough.

smallboxgames.com
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:04 AM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
Civics. MAn i hated my civics teacher. I took it in 8th grade, not 9th. 9th grade history was World History and Geography I.
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Master Custom Creator

justjohn knows what's in an order marker justjohn knows what's in an order marker
Yeah, they changed my county's 9th grade social studies requirements. Supposedly I will be teaching Geography the next semester to the same kids. I'm really in the dark until my department meetings next week.

smallboxgames.com
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:19 AM
has been BANNED

be a cool teacher. don't give homework. Make any unfinished classwork become homework, and allow group work. My history this past year did that. I passed with like a 94 which is a low A here
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Congratulations, John. I know how awesome it is to finally score that gig you've been working for, and know that all that effort was worth something.

And just for KHA's sake, make a 4-page paper due every Friday.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:53 AM
has been BANNED

hey, as long as im not in his class, i don't care what he does. I was just telling him good teaching methods that kids like, so the don't disrespect him.

Oh, and if you do assign a paper, and someone asks how long it has to be, tell them like 6 pages and see how many kids do it.
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Master Custom Creator

I always hated page requirements on papers, college and hs. As long as it needs to be was always the best answer.

As for as homework, I'm somewhat at the hands of the dept/school's policies. I hated homework, and I don't plan on assigning more than I am required to.

Being my first year though, I have to make sure that I don't lose control of my class, or I could lose my contract for the next year.

Thanks for the cg Imax!

smallboxgames.com
Old July 29th, 2006, 12:17 PM
has been BANNED

my english this past year was new. everyone hated her. She couldn't keep the class undercontrol for anything. But we were all juniors, and she was new to teaching. I was one of the quiet kids that stays on task and gets stuff done, but probably 90% of the rest of the class hated the class. I hated the kids in the class. COntrol is important. Go military style on their asses
Old July 29th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
Congratulations on getting the job and I agree with some of these guys, dont be afraid to run a tight ship. If you let them have the slack they will take it and go for some more.
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:55 PM

toddrew has disabled reputation
Congratulations, JJ! I've strayed quite far from my start in the teaching program at the university I went to, but always seem to find an outlet for the teacher in me. Enjoy it!

And you can see her
Before it cracks and goes out
She throws rocks at streetlights
Keeps the streetlight changer busy

Floundering Customs Thread
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:45 PM

geddy lifeson has disabled reputation
Congrats on the job. Before I ended up in the military, I wanted to be a middleschool/highschool Science and/or Math teacher and changed my major to Comp Sci instead since my school only offered Elementary teaching certification.

I really think that would have been the most rewarding way I could have lived my life and I wish I still took that path, even if it were in grade school setting. Now, it would be too hard to turn back.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General