Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Old September 19th, 2007, 05:07 PM

S.Gecko Woo who?
Chronicle of Geckos: Epic Battles of Father and Son

I'm creating this as a placeholder thread (still at work) in which to document the epic contests between me and my son. I'll have the first write-up posted soon.

Update:
9/25-2009 playtest of Broken Bridges (pics and battle report)
9/19 - 9/20 - 2008 Romp of Ashonqurk Fields (pics and battle report)

Last edited by S.Gecko; September 26th, 2009 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Added new link to updated battle report
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker
Sounds cool !!! Will there be pics? Its okay if there's not(mine never have 'em). Just wondering.

See Valhalla like never before:
Airborne Elite in the
BYZANTINE CAVE...
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:15 PM

S.Gecko Woo who?
I'm planning on having pics, definitely.
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
So really , right now you are just teasing us, like your gonna be the writer we need to watch, the up and coming Man.
So good you are just saying " hey, watch what's coming "

I hope it is worth all the hype!

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:02 PM

S.Gecko Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal
So really , right now you are just teasing us, like your gonna be the writer we need to watch, the up and coming Man.
So good you are just saying " hey, watch what's coming "

I hope it is worth all the hype!
I am the king of battle report vapor ware!

Seriously, though, I had no idea a placeholder would get responses, so now I guess I'd really better make them good, eh?
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:06 PM

S.Gecko Woo who?
Battle Report 1: 9/19 - 9/20

Itís lunch time, so I figured Iíd post this up really quick. Forgive the format if itís not whatís usually used for Battle Reports. Pictures of the whole battle can be seen here: http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgaller....php?album=797

Though my son dominated in the early rounds, and owned me on initiative rolls, the battle came down to a final battle between a severely-wounded Krug and a lone Marro Warrior with range and height.

Map: Ashonqurk Fields

Him (a healthy combination of heavy hitters, defense and long-range):
Theracus
Guilty McCreech
Retiarius
Marro Warriors
4th Massachusetts Line
Charos

Me (desperately trying to take advantage of Devourer and Relentless synergies):
Dumutef
Anubian Wolves
Krug
Khosumet
Minions of Utgar

Round 1
Luckily, or so I thought, I won initiative and I Ė with supreme confidence Ė moved Dumutef up the road a few spaces. Heís got a defense of four plus the road. What did I have to worry about? I settled in with confidence awaiting my sonís move. He responded by using Theracus to airlift Guilty McCreech to a strategic, hilly position.

I moved the Anubian wolves in place near Dumutef, readying myself for the next round and he moved Theracus back to his troops for a second shuttle service.

My last move of the round set the Minions at the foot of the other hill, figuring I would pounce from above any fools silly enough to try and get pass the Dumutef and Anubians. I neednít have planned so far ahead. With my sonís final move, he positioned the 4th Mass Line perfectly: each one separated by about two hexes across his front line, half of them with elevation. Three skulls later, and Dumutef dropped from sight. It would get worse from there.

Round after Round, he out-maneuvered and out-planned me, placing his ranged troops perfect synch. It wasnít until the third round that I started to make a dent.

Round 3
By this point, my son had positioned Charos on the other side of the hill, his 4th Mass were in solid positions of elevation, and Retiarius had taken out an Anubian Wolf with his net trip ability. For my part, I had taken out one of his 4th Mass with an Anubian Wolf, and was scrambling to get in position in order to meet Charos.

One Minion moved in on Charos, while the other approached a 4th Mass soldier. Rolling well, they both did their job: Charos took 4 wounds and the 4th Mass fell to the blood-winged beast.

Prior to this round, my son was shuttling Retiarius around the whole game, and this round got him right next to Khosumet who had been gearing up to join the Minions, but was now engaged. Feeling lucky, I figured I would get a few points out of Ret. I shouldnít have bothered. WHIFF! Nadda.

Round 4
This was a game-turning round for both of us. First of all, my son won the initiative roll and Retiarius net-tripped and annihilated Khosumet. So much for the center of my army. Now it was my turn. Feeling angered by the loss of their leader, the Anubian Wolves rolled a 20 for their attack bonus and circled around Charos. Out of 10 dice, they rolled 5 skulls, and Charos fell.

My son exacted his revenge soon enough, as one of his remaining 4th Mass took out a wolf.

I moved my remaining Minions into battle and took out two of his last three 4th Mass and completely Whiffed Guilty McCreech.

The battle continued to be dead-on from there, with my son winning initiative for most of the remaining rounds. He succeeded in removing a Minion with Retiarius the next round, another Minion with a Marro Warrior (I rolled all skulls on defense!).

Krug, however, evened it up a bit with his destruction of Guilty at the end of the round.

The game ended after 9 rounds, and for the next four my son and I traded blows until it was just Krug left on my side. Some bad luck in rolling on my sonís part allowed me to rampage through with Krug and take out two of his Marro Warriors in one round (after he had brought all four back with water clone).

Round 9

His remaining Marro Warrior had moved out of range of Krugís movement, gained elevation, and was positioned to fire. For my part, Krug had one health left, was 5 spaces from the Warrior. It would all come down to the initiative roll. My sonís initiative luck failed him at the wrong time. I moved Krug in and dispatched his last figure claiming a Pyrrhic victory.

470(him)

What I learned:
Dumutef should never, ever, ever move first. Period.
Theracus in conjunction with the right figure is a terror and should be treated as such: Retiarius was able to be all over the place, tripping and destroying thanks to that winged beast.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 08:05 PM

Ullar has disabled reputation
Great battle! I look forward to reading about you and your sons' epic confrontations!

Old September 26th, 2009, 01:37 AM

S.Gecko Woo who?
Re: Chronicle of Geckos: Epic Battles of Father and Son

Battle Report 2: 9/25-2009

My son and I are playtesting a new map that will hopefully become part of our Yggdrasil series. At this point, it's still in the development stage but we figured we'd give it a try.

Map: Broken Bridges

It's a narrow map meant to slow progression forward and lead to a focus on the bridge battle. There are ways to trick your opponent and slow them on the bridge, however. After playing this, it became apparent that the initial placement and order in which you move your units is key. It took us about three rounds until there was solid engagement.

Him (an even split between heavy melee and range with some nice synergies):
4th Massachusetts Line
Blastatrons
Gladiatrons
Krav Maga Agents
Marro Warriors
Me-Burq-Sa
Tarn Viking Warriors
Theracus

Me (Orcs!):
Arrow Gruts
Blade Gruts
Heavy Gruts
Grimnak
Krug
Ornak

Rounds 1 - 3
These rounds were used for initial placement and jockeying for position. By the end of round three, the field was set for the ensuing battles. His Krav Maga agents were on a mesa next to the bridge upon which I was advancing Krug. He had air-lifted a Marro Warrior to his end of the bridge with Theracus and was picking off my Arrow Gruts.

Additionally, he had moved his Blastatrons to the other side of the bridge and looked like he was planning on pinning me in some crossfire and/or picking off my orc army.

Round 4
He took out an Arrow Grut with his Marro Warrior and I advanced Krug to engage Theracus but failed to hit him.

Meanwhile, his Krav Maga were getting attack bonuses on the higher ground next to the bridge, and the Blastatrons were advancing and bringing the Gladiatrons and the rest of the army with them. Advancing Grimnak using synergies with Ornak, Heavy Gruts and the Blade Gruts, I chomped and smashed my way through the Krav Maga agents on my left flank leaving only one standing upon the mesa.

I left the rest of my orc army on my side of the bridge while Grimnak continued over the rise towards the rest of his army causing mass confusion.

Round 5
At the beginning of this round, my son finally halted Grimnak's destructive march. By the end, though, the dinosaur-riding orc had removed the Tarn Vikings, two Krav Maga, two 4th Massachusetts Line, and a Marro Warrior. Krug had also destroyed Theracus and had jumped down the other side of the bridge to engage the blastatrons lest they pick off my orcs in the back.

With the destruction of Grimnak came need for a tactical adjustment: make Krug angry.

Round 6
Using synergies from the last Arrow Grut and Ornak, I wove Krug up and over the terrain at his end of the bridge and smashed the last Krav Maga and Tarn Viking. He regenerated his Marro Warriors and dispatched Krug with a Gladiatron attack.

Round 7
At this point, I still had Ornak and all eight Heavy and Blade Gruts. I advanced them over the bridge towards his tattered army: a Marro Warrior, a few Gladiatrons, and a 4th Massachusetts Line.

The last thing the Marro Warrior saw was a squad of blue-skinned demons rush towards him.

That round ended it, with the party of Orcs surrounding his last Marro Warrior and celebrating on the rise by the bridge.

What we Learned
I was able to win because I was more tactically astute in this game. Had my son gotten his 4th Massachusetts Line in position at the top of his side of the bridge, I wouldn't have stood a chance. Like I said in the beginning, the map rewards early strategic placement and gives little room for correction after the first couple of rounds: it just takes too long to reposition.

That said, we liked playing the terrain and will think about ways to make a more age-agnostic version of it for future use. We also need to make some adjustments that allow quicker engagement.

In the meantime, feel free to try it out yourself -- http://www.onegecko.com/public/heros...en_Bridges.pdf -- and let me know what you think.

- sG

Last edited by S.Gecko; September 26th, 2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Typos, Grammar

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports