Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old May 5th, 2017, 03:08 PM

vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker
VVildeyedjokers Maps

I’m currently working on transferring away from photobucket so this is a work in progress post.

This is a map I built for defender scenarios.
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by vvildeyedjoker; November 25th, 2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:38 AM

vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker
Re: VVildeyedjokers Maps

This is a map I'm going to submit to the Uncharted Wellsprings contest.

Submission #1

Title: Tree of Might

Author: VVildeyedjoker

Req: 1 Rotv, 1 RttFF, 1 TJ
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by vvildeyedjoker; May 23rd, 2017 at 01:24 AM.
Old May 9th, 2017, 10:48 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Hey @vvildeyedjoker , you've got some good stuff in here, especially for your first few maps! I did want to stop in and give you a little feedback on the one you're working on for the contest.

First and most importantly: the jungle bushes are placed illegally on the map. The rulebook says that each bush must be connected to other hexes on at least two sides, and the most you have is one on the ones by the road. That's something you'll have to address before submission.

Other than that, the map looks pretty good for a first draft, though there are a couple issues that stand out to me. First, you have a lot of the highest ground on the map right next to the glyphs. This is usually something to avoid as it will draw attention only to that part of the map and make the glyphs too easy for an army to hold, and I think that's the case here. I wouldn't go for any other spot on the map when I can have great defensive high ground while also controlling the glyph at the same time (especially Attack +1, which is one of the strongest glyphs in the game). You also have jungle next to/on the highest ground on the map at those center locations as well as the outlying high hills. Competitively, you'll usually want to avoid this as well, as the high ground already gets an attack and defense bonus - you don't need to double the defense bonus for them. I do like the overall idea of the map, though, and it (along with your other maps) has some great aesthetic value going for it. I think with some work it could turn into a really good entry!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old May 9th, 2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Hey @vvildeyedjoker , you've got some good stuff in here, especially for your first few maps! I did want to stop in and give you a little feedback on the one you're working on for the contest.

First and most importantly: the jungle bushes are placed illegally on the map. The rulebook says that each bush must be connected to other hexes on at least two sides, and the most you have is one on the ones by the road. That's something you'll have to address before submission.

Other than that, the map looks pretty good for a first draft, though there are a couple issues that stand out to me. First, you have a lot of the highest ground on the map right next to the glyphs. This is usually something to avoid as it will draw attention only to that part of the map and make the glyphs too easy for an army to hold, and I think that's the case here. I wouldn't go for any other spot on the map when I can have great defensive high ground while also controlling the glyph at the same time (especially Attack +1, which is one of the strongest glyphs in the game). You also have jungle next to/on the highest ground on the map at those center locations as well as the outlying high hills. Competitively, you'll usually want to avoid this as well, as the high ground already gets an attack and defense bonus - you don't need to double the defense bonus for them. I do like the overall idea of the map, though, and it (along with your other maps) has some great aesthetic value going for it. I think with some work it could turn into a really good entry!
Thank you soooo much for the feedback. That was way more than i was hoping for. I will take your suggestions very seriously. I seldom use the jungle pieces and will definitely need to brush up on the rulings. Again thanks for the feedback. Im working on another idea right now and will also put some more work on this map.

EDIT: Links should be updated now.

OK I think I addressed what you pointed out and changed a few other things around.

I took the height around the glyphs and spread it out to the outer parts of the map. Doing that killed two birds so to say. Now the height around the glyphs is even and it also allowed me to add a little flavor to the outside (and cover the illegal jungle thing.)

The jungle on the outside is intended to give players a way to move around the map without being dominated by range holding the glyphs. The jungle in the center is intended to help defend or assault the glyph. I also added a little step-up to the 7 hex on each side of the map (now the highest points on the map) making the option of moving that way a little bit more rewarding.

Again thank you so much for the feedback. I'm new to competitive Heroscape in general (Always played the big map scenarios) and the help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by vvildeyedjoker; May 9th, 2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old May 9th, 2017, 11:46 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I second Bigga's initial comments ( he beat me too it again, you wily frog!)

The overall look is simple and aesthetically pleasing...so good job there. As mentioned though, you do have to resolve the illegal placement issues with the jungle. Find a way to do that, slightly adjust the positions of the height and you'll be golden.

Also...the power glyph Attack +1 is NEVER used at our tournaments. I can't speak for other tournament directors, but when it comes to glyphs, that one is one of the most OP glyphs to place on a map and is seldom found on competitive map builds - unless for a very good reason - and this map has TWO! ;-P I'd suggest a little less powered glyphs to resolve that issue. Typically competitive glyphs consist of: Lodin, Dagmar, Gerda, Wannock, Valda, and Ulinavia

With that said, great first draft for just starting out into the map building scene and we're glad you're jumping right in...so welcome!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
I second Bigga's initial comments ( he beat me too it again, you wily frog!)

The overall look is simple and aesthetically pleasing...so good job there. As mentioned though, you do have to resolve the illegal placement issues with the jungle. Find a way to do that, slightly adjust the positions of the height and you'll be golden.

Also...the power glyph Attack +1 is NEVER used at our tournaments. I can't speak for other tournament directors, but when it comes to glyphs, that one is one of the most OP glyphs to place on a map and is seldom found on competitive map builds - unless for a very good reason - and this map has TWO! ;-P I'd suggest a little less powered glyphs to resolve that issue. Typically competitive glyphs consist of: Lodin, Dagmar, Gerda, Wannock, Valda, and Ulinavia

With that said, great first draft for just starting out into the map building scene and we're glad you're jumping right in...so welcome!
Man so much to learn! Thanks again! For our group the Attack glyphs are low on priority. (Again coming from the big map scenarios movement and range are king) Thanks for the advice! I think I have already addressed the height and legal placement i think. I will look into updating the glyph choice.

EDIT: I have updated the glyph choice as well.
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:17 AM

Look at me go! Learning how to add spoilers as well!
Old May 10th, 2017, 01:04 PM

Here is a map I built while inspired by the Uncharted Wellsprings contest. I was originally trying to build a map to enter into the contest but got carried away with the visual. I'm going to try to take this and turn it into competetive map but I couldn't give this version up it looks too cool to me.

Spoiler Alert!

PDF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43...ew?usp=sharing

VS: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43...ew?usp=sharing

Story:
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by vvildeyedjoker; May 11th, 2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old May 11th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Okay your second map. First off, it does look cool...so once again well done with the aesthetics...but this would be a casual map, not competitive and here's why:
1) the Thorian glyph is practically hands down one of the most OP Glyphs in the game and no tournament director that I know of would let it find its way onto a tournament map (and as a player I would have a word with them if they did)...just being honest here. So that glyph really should be changed.
2) Fliers have too much of an advantage in this map. Non-flying armies have to skirt around castle and ice while Fliers can jump all over the Glyphs and take map position without being contested.
3) we've pretty much made it a rule not to except maps where 5 or 6 move figures can reach Glyphs on one turn. This is the case here. Any 6 move flier can take the Valda glyph turn 1 and will allow their army to develop and take position much faster than the opponent and the glyph won't be contested unless there are Fliers on the other team as well. This is a major flaw.
4) I don't want to make this sound too harsh, but there's no better way to say it...this map is broken. The startzones are too close in proximity. We had a map submitted during our first contest (see below) that had close startzones divided by castle walls, and initially we thought this was a neat idea...but after playtesting it was clear that that type of design is broken because dragons can see over the top and any dragon army with Zelrig on this map will just sit in the startzone and blast away at the opponent all of round one without really having to move. Other dragons can't reach the startzone with their specials, but all they'd have the do would be to simply fly into the water (while taking Valda glyph) and then attack the startzone. So it's just not a competitive design.

But keep up the good work. If at first you don't succeed, try , try again...

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old May 11th, 2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Okay your second map. First off, it does look cool...so once again well done with the aesthetics...but this would be a casual map, not competitive and here's why:
1) the Thorian glyph is practically hands down one of the most OP Glyphs in the game and no tournament director that I know of would let it find its way onto a tournament map (and as a player I would have a word with them if they did)...just being honest here. So that glyph really should be changed.
2) Fliers have too much of an advantage in this map. Non-flying armies have to skirt around castle and ice while Fliers can jump all over the Glyphs and take map position without being contested.
3) we've pretty much made it a rule not to except maps where 5 or 6 move figures can reach Glyphs on one turn. This is the case here. Any 6 move flier can take the Valda glyph turn 1 and will allow their army to develop and take position much faster than the opponent and the glyph won't be contested unless there are Fliers on the other team as well. This is a major flaw.
4) I don't want to make this sound too harsh, but there's no better way to say it...this map is broken. The startzones are too close in proximity. We had a map submitted during our first contest (see below) that had close startzones divided by castle walls, and initially we thought this was a neat idea...but after playtesting it was clear that that type of design is broken because dragons can see over the top and any dragon army with Zelrig on this map will just sit in the startzone and blast away at the opponent all of round one without really having to move. Other dragons can't reach the startzone with their specials, but all they'd have the do would be to simply fly into the water (while taking Valda glyph) and then attack the startzone. So it's just not a competitive design.

But keep up the good work. If at first you don't succeed, try , try again...
I appreciate the feedback. I guess where this map first went "wrong" then is thinking I could uncap the castle walls and write a special rule that they couldn't be flown over. The dragon thing I never would have thought of until playtesting so I appreciate you saving me time there. And the glyph selection I was not happy with yet either. I was toying with some trap ideas and such. I will take your advice to heart and take this one back to the drawing board. I will however keep this version of it for casual games.

Last edited by vvildeyedjoker; May 17th, 2017 at 01:37 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:51 AM

This is one of my submissions for the Uncharted Wellsprings Contest.

Submission #2

Title: Burning Temple

REQ: 1 ROTV, 1 VW, 1 FotA

Author: VVildeyedjoker
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by vvildeyedjoker; May 23rd, 2017 at 01:23 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 01:03 AM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It looks good! I like the theme of the map. I do have a couple concerns:

I would try to move some of the level 3 lava to lv 4. There's a lot of lv 3 terrain. There isn't much incentive to fight in the lava area if it doesn't provide any height advantage over the lv 3 castle area.

Also, it looks like you accidentally deleted a grass 7-hex in the build instructions. There's an empty space in the middle of the map on lv 2.

There are a few other areas where the map looks like it could be structurally unsteady. The rock 24-hexes aren't held up my much and the lv 2 rock 7 hexes seem like they wouldn't stay upright

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios