Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old August 4th, 2021, 10:00 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscaper Guy View Post
So, just wondering as I've kinda thought of doing a battlestar-kinda world (in essence, huge ships after a disaster containing all from a planet over a few generations), would it be the ship name as the planet? Or the destroyed planet?
A good question. I would think the destroyed world, personally. If Marr was blown up, would all future Marro come from Valhalla? No. But there's a reasonable argument for the ship as the planet, following that Soulborgs originated on Alpha Prime and some name Isadora as their homeworld. Even if they were built there, Soulborgs originated on Alpha Prime.

As for Xuè Shèn,

Arctorus -- I don't think Arctorus has been clearly defined, not even internally. But Dad_Scaper is the one with the vision in his head of what it is and isn't. He's something of its gatekeeper.
Eberron -- As I noted above, "Demon" and "Monk" don't work together in D&D. Being a monk requires discipline, which is the antithesis of what demons are.
Feylund -- The fantasy dumping ground. Any high fantasy fits here.
Grut -- When C3V put Varks on Grut, it was made clear Grut was populated by more than just Orcs. Given how little we've seen of it, it's more warlike, feral nature doesn't seem like a good fit.
Icaria -- Icaria is home to dragons and humanoid Icarians. Could there be other things there? In theory. May have pushback on this choice depending on how "pure" people think Icaria should be.
Toril -- Same problem as Eberron.
Valhalla -- Valhalla is home to more than Kyrie, bu so far Kyrie are the only indigenous race that's advanced beyond primitive culture, so there may be pushback here as well.
Old August 4th, 2021, 10:21 AM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Ok, I'm willing to go the path of least resistance. I'll edit my submission.
Old August 4th, 2021, 03:52 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

With that, I'm willing to give Xuè Shèn a shot. I'm not thrilled, but then I wasn't thrilled with the C3V Monks either, so just not my thing I guess. It's a little weird to have someone disciplined like a Monk follow Valkrill, but the self-harm part feels sufficiently Valkrill-ish.
Old August 4th, 2021, 06:19 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

For what it’s worth, I think the Valkrill/demon combo is in service of a desired synergy. A more natural and thematic use of the mini for this theme would be devil and utgar. But that’s something for you guys to hash out, at the moment.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 4th, 2021, 07:33 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Xue Shen has some pretty unique widely ranging synergy, between Acolytes via Demon species and Monks via Monk class. Can you talk a little bit about which one of those armies you've found Xue Shen more effective in? With Monks, she kind of replicates what a lot of the other Monks are doing, but to Acolytes she brings something new to the table.
Old August 4th, 2021, 09:47 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

This figure seems to be a classic D&D tiefling figure. Inducting this figure as not-a-tiefling from not-D&D would seem silly, and I don’t want to block that design space by calling this kind of mini a demon from Feylund.

Old August 4th, 2021, 10:09 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

I vote no to review Xue Shen.

My main reason is I feel those unit is over designed. There are three powers impacting how the unit attacks and one that impacts defense. That is a lot going on that distracts from the theme, and they don't really synergize but just seem like powers added together to make the unit be able to do more. I always appreciate a 3/3 unit but this one is hiding better stats. 6 life is there to feed hidden star but again improves the unit to be stronger. I feel this monk could be greatly improved with more focus.

A demon monk seems like an interesting space like an alien lead Roman legion, but that space is a razors edge. Right now I don't see how the powers and stats work with being a demon and a monk other than adding this unit to more synergy webs.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old August 4th, 2021, 10:58 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

@vegietarian18
Welp, it's a shame. I was about to dump a bunch of play test data and comparisons and stuff that I thought was really positive about this but... looks like i'm going to get shut down hard here and have the change the race to tiefling even though it was exciting on the board.

Edit: Welp, I'm kinda depressed now. Going to go think for a bit, lol.
Old August 5th, 2021, 08:53 AM

Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby! Zeldarck rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
This figure seems to be a classic D&D tiefling figure. Inducting this figure as not-a-tiefling from not-D&D would seem silly, and I don’t want to block that design space by calling this kind of mini a demon from Feylund.

I don't know a lot about dnd lore, but all the image I found while searching for tiefling are characters with a tail. If it's an attribute of tiefling, I don't really see why this figure is associated to them

this argument reming me the one for the Shadow Stalker compared to displacer beast
Old August 5th, 2021, 09:32 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

This mini looks nothing like a Heroscape Demon. That problem has been noted throughout this design’s life, going back to its earliest days on Discord, with varying degrees of assertiveness. There has never been a decent answer to that challenge.

It doesn’t look like a demon. That has been and is and will be, should it get to an internal IS vote, a problem. I am saying it bluntly because the many who have said it indirectly, delicately, were not getting the message through.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; August 5th, 2021 at 10:45 AM. Reason: I also agree with everything Wriggz said.
Old August 5th, 2021, 09:44 AM

I am also against having humanoid Demons in Heroscape. We have more than enough different humanoids already. So while I'm willing to bring this to wider United Fanscape to vote on (this is an issue of personal taste for the canon, imo), I personally won't be supporting it with my vote there.

That said, this miniature isn't a D&D tiefling either, and I would be strongly opposed to making it so. As Zeldark noted, tails are a defining feature of D&D tieflings. This is a Pathfinder tiefling; Pathfinder ones vary a lot more in features. (Also, this design doesn't feel like much like a D&D Monk.)
Old August 5th, 2021, 11:54 AM

Lol, interesting.

So, what if I go with the sculpts printed species? Surely Demonspawn is more of a broad term, avoids the double synergy that I'll keep for home games, and it IS just a type of tiefling from pathfinder. Just a dead end species that doesnt invoke extra synergies, like Eladrin or Half Elf for instance.

Demonspawn is a sub category of Tiefling in PF, sired by the demon side of the house while Tieflings in true can only be sired by the devil side of the house.

Last edited by Shiftrex; August 5th, 2021 at 12:13 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs