Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old December 27th, 2022, 12:04 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

Well met!

Published latest version of Treasure of Xualtiaca in my blog.

Old December 30th, 2022, 05:51 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

January Scaping Scheduled

There are currently two dates for January so far:

Sat. Jan. 7 Taeblewalker SuperScape
A much delayed session will feature traditional Marvel armies of heroes vs villains on one medium sized map. Four of us are booked in for this date so far.

Wed. Jan. 26: Chas Age of Annihilation Scape
These will be our first multiplayer games with AOA, to include "regular" AOA cards, the five upgraded SOTM Heroes, and even the seven new Kyries. Plus our first time with the scenario rule for "Illusory Walls!" This will be the exciting fruition of my AOA Proxy Project, as detailed upthread! Taeblewalker and I look forward to others bailing in with us, after we playtested all the regular cards in four 2 Player games, and I solitaired two more with the SOTM Heroes (my versions).
Old December 30th, 2022, 03:58 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

AoA with @chas

Old December 30th, 2022, 06:44 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

(Reserved for Chas Commentary on the photos of our first AOA play).

Thanks for taking and posting these, Taeblewalker! Almost all the photos are from Game #1, which was the Dryan Lifeborne Order vs the Clockwork Combine, since these were the two we wanted to try out first.

Here we are with 7 photos of our first AOA Proxy Play Project session from a few weeks ago. TW and I had a great time playing four games with all the new Revealed (From the Haslab Offering now unfunded) and Unrevealed (Fan Custom) Regular Cards. You can see a list of the armies and proxies I've used upthread. Some notable proxies used are:

Photo 1: (Left Board) Dryan Lifeborne Order: Xenethrax the new dragon, flying familiars Chana and Onshu, Mages, and in the background on card Brunak (as the new Dryan Centaur Halushia). Also background: Dawnraider Syndicate squads.

Photo 2: (On board Center and Left): Star Wars Wookies as Clockwork Combine Bears. Those with guns are the Ordo Borealis; those with spears are the Frostclaw Paladins. (Background on Cards): Ironbound Collective. Large Center: Iron Lich Viscerot; Large Right: Hellforge Mandukor. Small figures: Necrotech Wraithriders. Medium Orange figure: Scavorith Lord of Ruin (Centipede). Left foreground in front of them on cards: Nemisis War Brood. Soft Plastic ants as as Oathbound Legionnaires, Fyorlag Spiders as Festering Honor Guard. Sujoah (without wings) as Oathbound Phalanx, Star Wars Acklay as Thyraxis Dragoon.

Photo 3: Star Wars Fliers as Clockwork Combine Glider Strikers.

Photo 4: Star Wars Flying Skiff as Air Marshal Zed Nesbitt. (Left Center) Caped Star Wars figure as Wing Commander Tuck Harrington (playing for the Dryans). Various Arena of the Planeswalker figures as a winged and nonwinged Dryan familiar (Girushia).

Photo 5: Note cardboard proxy AOA Glyphs. Two at lower Left are Xenethrax Vines placed, and another type at top Left. We used two of the four AOA glyphs in the first two games, and then dispensed with them for the next two games. We don't use glyphs much here, but will always use the Vines with Xenethrax, since placing them is one of her card powers. They only had one effect on the game; when I healed Zed Nesbitt.

Photo 6: Same as Photo 2.

Photo 7: Same as Photos 2 and 6.

Stay tuned for more photos of these games!

Project Commentary

While its hard to visually recognize who is who from the photos, each figure has a Faction colored sticker with their name written, under their base. The proxies "worked" just fine along with Anitar's cards for both Revealed and Unrevealed army cards. We used my own Zed Nesbitt.

Note that the map is that of the only revealed AOA Scenario (#1), where the players place terrain after the armies and glyphs are down.

Coming up in a future session with more than two players in January:

*The 7 upgraded SOTM Heroes: Sgt. Drake, Sonlen (on dragon), Q11, Shiori, and Evil Raelin! Choose from Anitar's or my own versions.

* The 7 Kyrie Warriors: Once again see the customs by Anitar in the new AOA site section.

* Later on down the line: Integration of the new AOA cards with all 400 previous Classic and Custom Cards (about 200 each) in our games here at The Game Palace. So creative army builders can start assembling new Scape army lists of their own for future sessions which include both old and new cards, including of course those they run themselves in our regular Game Master rotation!

* The New York City Gang of Four, now with 7 instead of only 4 members! Actually 7 1/2 if you include occasional visits by our local buddy Ishmel!

Happy Scaping New Year 2022!

Last edited by chas; January 2nd, 2023 at 10:00 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2023, 09:48 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

More AoA pics!

Old January 2nd, 2023, 09:52 PM

Confirmed New Scape Dates In January

Sat. Jan. 7: Taeblewalker hosts Marvelscape. This will the first Supers game for our new players who can attend! (Edit) The scenario is now described below.

Wed. Jan. 25: Chas hosts Age of Annihilation III. This will be our first multiplayer AOA session with all 51 cards from the Haslab offering, and a surprise or two! This third AOA session of ours follows up the first four 2 Player games with all the regular AOA cards with Taeblewalker described above, and a solitaire session of two games with the 5 upgraded SOTM Heroes and other figures.

Last edited by chas; January 6th, 2023 at 05:55 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2023, 09:58 PM

AOA Game Photos Group II
(11 More Photos; taken once again by Taeblewalker)

Photo 8: (Left) Small Star Wars Clone Wars robots as Necrotech Wraithriders. (Middle) Arena of the Planeswalker unpainted figures as Dawnraider Pirate squaddies and a painted Planeswalker as a Pirate Captain. (Right) A Star Wars robot as Iron Lich Viscerot and a centipede creature as Scavorith Lord of Ruin.

Photo 9: Dryan Lifebourne Faction Start Zone. (Offboard Left On Card) Caped Star Wars animal head figure as Wing Commander Tuck Harrington. Brunak as Dryan Centaur. Marcu Eisenwein as Vrono the Brambletooth. Various Arena of the Planeswalker figures as other Dryan Lifeborne Order figures as noted in previous photos. The white circles underneath two figures with transparent bases are the backs of stickers with the figures' names on them on the bottom.

Various red and blue poker chips as extensions of the two Start Zones as per the AOA First Scenario map in this and other photos.

Photo 10: Clockwork Combine Start Zone. Star Wars AT-ST as Imperator Kane; various Wookies as Bears as noted in previous photos.

Photo 11: Closeup of front line melee. Note that some sparkly water hexes have been placed on top of some raised terrain hexes by the players at the start of the game, as allowed in AOA Scenario 1. This was done to counter the effectiveness of the height positions by the opposing player!

Photo 12: Earth Elemental as Vorid Burrowbreaker.

Photo 13: As Photo 8.

Photo 14: Late in the game of the Ironclad Collective vs Dawnraider Syndicate! Note the very different terrain configuration in this game. Each game had a different terrain placement on the same first level battlefield base. At far Left, I sent the dreaded Hellforge Mandikor into the enemy Start Zone to wreck Havoc. Which it did, making multiple attacks against three adjacent enemy figures at once. MWA HAA HAA! (Even though I lost the game).

(Foreground) Characters and Army Cards in play for the current game. (Background) Many more cards having been/being rotated into the other games. These are mostly Classic format AOA cards by Anitar. Most are cards Revealed during the Haslab Offering, and a few customs made by Anitar for those not revealed to us.

Photo 15: The other Dawnraider Syndicate Army coming out of their start zone in a different game. The bulkier squad figures are the Dreadnaughts of New Tortuga! All AOTP figures as other Dawnraiders.

Photo 16: (Right) Alien figure as Queen Maladrix the Conqueror. This figure is from a rare Alien playset. Its typical of an unusual piece from my collection of almost every Plastic 54mm scale miniature ever made--over 30,000 figures!

Photo 17: In the final (fourth) game, note that water hexes have been placed to slow down my army right in front of my Start Zone!

[Background] Overflow storage board games mostly acquired during the Pandemic: Merchants & Marauders, Undaunted Reinforcements, Undaunted Normandy, The Great Wall, Titans, and Leaders & Legends expansion for Hellenica: Story of Greece. Not shown: Commmands & Colors: Jacobite Rising, Empire of the Stars, Brian Boru, and Ankh: Gods of Egypt.

Photo 18: The game's action took place at and around this moat, with Queen Maladrix and her Honor Guard messing me up big time! You can see a Marro Drudge as First Officer Bok-Bur-Na facing off against her. The Space Pirates (Dawnraiders) are so cool we each took one team of them in different games. Mine did not fare as well as TW's did in the previous game. We were completely overwhelmed by the Fyorlag Spiders too as the Festering Honor Guard!

AOA Proxy Play Project Notes:

1. The next day I solitaired two games with my own Custom cards for the 5 Upgraded SOTM Heroes: Sgt. Drake, Sonlen (on Dragon), Q11, Shiori, and Evil Raelin (on Manticore). She was teamed up with Marro forces against the other four heroes.

2. I now have printed out Anitar's 7 Kyrie Warrior cards to use in future games.

3. The next Medium sized board for more than 2 Players, the kind we regularly use for 4 Player games, will include old castle walls as the new AOA walls. Their scenario rule will be that noted by Avalon Hill as Illusory Walls. These will block Line of Sight, but not Movement right through them! This is the final bit of play data we have for Age of Annihilation: Vanguard Edition game play. Will there ever be any more?

4. Future games after this next session will allow players to build their own armies using all Classic and VC Custom cards plus these 51 new ones from AOA. This will become the norm, except for scenario exceptions by each particular Game Master in our Core Member Rotation running individual games.

5. Starting this month of January 2023 I will run "extra" sessions besides our regular monthly game with the AOA cards, including requests by players who can't make the January AOA session(s), those who want to build their own armies, etc.

Last edited by chas; January 3rd, 2023 at 09:17 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2023, 09:32 AM

A Few Initial Reflections On The Five AOA Factions
and the Unrevealed Vanguard Edition Bonus Figures

I tend to play thematically Good vs Evil. So for a team or very large 2 Player game I might combine the Ironclads and Broods as Allies against two armies of Dryans and Clockworks (or 1 of each) in all AOA card games. The Dawnraiders are set up to be Neutral mercenaries, and so can Ally with anyone, or each other. DRs can also import anyone into their faction through the Widow's power. All of these factions have specific synergy within their own Faction, so part of trying them out for the first time I feel is playing them as Faction armies.

Kolakoski, our demon Army Builder, is already thinking about combining AOAs with previous cards. I won't start this kind of thinking until after our next, possibly only, all AOA game session. Partly because 51 new cards are a lot to take in--I haven't even tried the Kyries yet. And as you can see from the photos, putting so many proxy figures on the battlefield at once is a lot to take in. Its much easier of course when you have the cards in front of you while playing.

I'll be interested to see how the other players want to proceed, and whether they'll encourage or allow AOAs in their GM rotation monthly games as I plan to do with my own games. We each are running a game only once every four months as rotating GMs--which may become less often as our new players want to run games as well after they get more used to Scaping with us, and all the Customs and even Supers.

So that's why I'm offering "extra" sessions with AOAs. Other members are of course welcome to do the same. I host as many games as people want to play, being retired and generally available. I've never had to say no to requests for more games, which we used to do more often in the old days as playtests or just one on one sessions for the availability of particular individuals.

Clockwork Combine
The Glider Strikers are much less powerful than the Airborne Elite, and my own Zed Nesbitt is meant to boost them up a bit. Zed himself is very poweful indeed. Poor Tuck Harrington is playing for the Dryans so far, so I haven't tired him out with his fellow Clockworks yet. The various Bears are very powerful. The Vorid Burrowbreaker turns out to be much more dangerous than he first appears! On the other hand, Imperator Kane seemed weak for a guy in a war machine; some suggested that he should be able to target multiple targets with his machine gun.

Dryan Lifeborne Order
There are lots of great powers here. Bonding with a single Familiar is great, but doesn't seem as powerful as bonding with a squad, and they have none. Xenethrax the Dragon seems to have disappointed one or two early posters onsite here. Taeblewalker said he enjoyed playing them in our first two games.

Dawnraider Syndicate
Who doesn't want to be a Space Pirate? I suspect when later polls come out, this will be the most popular of the AOA Factions. They have a great variety of types and powers with their "integrated" multispecies characters!

Ironclad Collective
These Cyborgs are powerful, but need good luck and die rolls to be truly terrifying. They don't seem as powerful as the second small Faction, the Brood. But they are great fun to play. I didn't get to take full advantage of their internal faction bonding, although I tried. Its a shame the two small factions will never be expanded as such. It will be interesting to see if any future C3G designs follow them up without using the Hasbro faction names!

Nemesis Brood
These figures, especially Maladrix and the Festering Honor Guard, really destroyed me, as I mentioned above. They did the same thing to the Clockwork bears in the Avalon Hill playtest video! I'll be looking for specific counters to them when I build armies with all the Scape cards in play in the future! They are very thematic bugs.

The Other AOA "Bonus" Cards

The Five SOTM Heroes

Both Anitar and I came up with similar point totals, with different powers, for custom cards for the new upgraded heroes. They are all expensive. Assuming Evil Raelin is playing for the Bad Guys, for my custom versions we have:

Sgt. Drake 220
Sonlen 240
Q11 200
Shiori 110

Total Good Heroes: 770

Here's the first Evil Army I made for Raelin in my first game to combat the Good Heroes:

Raelin 200
Marro Hive 160
Ke-Mo-Shi 130
Ne-Gok-Sa 90
Marro Stingers x3 180
Total: 760

(Note that the Mind Control powers of Ke-Mo-Shi and Ne-Gok-Sa were nerfed to only control an enemy for one turn). I continued to use the AOA Scenario 1 battlefield for these two games. The first was so short with Raelin being taken out by ranged attacks that I did another! The victory conditions for Good were to defeat either Raelin or the Hive. For the second game I kept Raelin back until the end, but she still went down to the other heroes' powerful ranged attacks.

The 7 Kyrie (Anitar versions)

These should be hitting the table this month. They are not meant to form an army together, although I suppose one could just to get them all out on the table for a first playtest. My thought was to let players either substitute a Kyrie card for one other card, or add one Kyrie card in to their own Faction armies as constructed above for the eight demo "playtest" armies upthread (see Posts #1411 and #1412), more or less by their patron General allegiances to match the factions, for the second upcoming AOA "playtest" game. Here they are with their point values, Generals, and (proxies) I'm using for them initially:

Misaerx 130 Revna (Msc--Raven Shaman)
Xiamura 120 Volarek (Msc--Cloaked Elven Swordswoman)
Mielki 110 Volarek (Saylind)
Kilkorax 105 Revna (Msc--Life and Death)
Qhyrion 100 Vydar (Msc--Ariel Elfairy)
Loviatek 90 Utgar (Runa)
Glinerva 70 Acquilla (Empress Kiova)

AOA Kyrie Total: 725

Kyrie General Notes
Generals Not Used for Kyries: Jandar, Ullar, Einar, (Valkrill). Possible substitutes as with other cards without the new AOA Generals: Ullar for Volarek, Valkrill for Revna This follows the idea that some Volarek cards had been changed to Ullar at the end of the Hasbro offering period, and that Revna was a substitute for Valkrill, who was not used for AOA--the final DnD HeroScape Period seemed to be left out of AOA in general. While some posters assumed this was because Wizards of the Coast owned the DnD copyright, this is apparantly not the case; it was done for other reasons not specificed.

Last edited by chas; January 6th, 2023 at 05:56 AM.
Old January 5th, 2023, 10:26 AM

Taeblewalker SuperScape On Sat. Jan. 7: Doom's Ambition

"The scenario is that Doctor Doom is trying to claim the fortress located in the Savage Land for himself, as it is a source of great mystical power. He has recruited the Lizard and his lizardfolk as minions, promising him a place in his new world order. Only one obstacle remains - the heroes who have figured out his plan and have come to stop him!" (Taeblewalker)

The Map C3G Exclusive Battlefield Sauron's Eyrie
by Taeblewalker

Victory: Two Good and two Evil armies are battling it out. If Dr. Doom is defeated, all other Evils including the Doombots keep fighting! Starting on Turn Four, both sides must have one figure inside the tower (any raised hex above the base level connected to the tower and its battlements) or they lose.

C3V Armies

Good Army #1: The Fantastic Four

Mr. Fantastic 235
Invisible Woman 215
Human Torch 225
The Thing 325
Total: 1000

Good Army #2: Spiderman And His Friends
(Team from the old animated TV show)

Spiderman 250
Iceman 260
Firestar 120
Total: 530

Evil Army #1: Doom & Company

Doctor Doom 375
Doombots (95) x6 = 570
Total: 945

Evil Army #2: Slitherers
The Lizard 200
Othkurik 140
Greenscale Warriors (60 ) x5 =300
Total: 640

For the second game, players will switch sides and armies!

The original concept was each army facing off against its enemy on a small tournament sized map. But the group discussed this and decided for our usual medium sized map where everyone could interact with all the other players. To go along with this preference, TW choose one of his own map designs. This was just one of many other site areas where our four core members have contributed posts, designs, or entire threads.

Last edited by chas; January 8th, 2023 at 06:50 AM.
Old January 8th, 2023, 07:02 AM

We had two games on this very cool map that TW had designed years ago. I recommend using this map for sure. Dr. Doom's power to use Advanced Pit Trap and dunk people in lava was decisive, and Evil won both games. I was teamed up with GM Taeblewalker, first as Evil, then as Good. Our opponents were Sherman Davies and Thrasher Darkrai, one of our new players. He's the veteran one who has even played Supers before, since he owns a Marvel set.

In the first game, Invisible Girl was defeated in lava. Then The Thing got dunked, but rolled a 20 and survived it, and stayed in the one lava hex inside the tower, so Doom couldn't dunk anyone else. In that game, my Lizard climbed over the tower wall to open the door from the inside and let some Greenscales in the front door. My Othkurik got atop the wall by flying and did some nice acid spray against three good guys inside.

Firestar flew into our Start Zone and wiped out an entire squad of Greenscales with her Microwave Beam! It always satisfying to use an area effect weapon efficiently. Then she hurt multiple Doombots. For her relatively low point cost, she sure did her job! My weak counterattacks with one Greenscale at a time were ineffective.

In the second game, TW suggested putting the Torch intentionally into the Lava hex, since he has Lava Resistance. I also had visions of using his Nova Blast, perhaps diving down into the enemy Start Zone but Torch was defeated on Turn Two. Then I stayed out of the Tower and attacked with Reed and Sue from below near our start zone, the first elevated hex at a rear entrance, and eventually the top of the tower with Mr. Fantastic. Iceman was defeated, and TW brought Spiderman up last of all. Doom could reach almost everywhere with Pit Trap with his four hex radius, since there was also a row of lava outside the tower, so it was tough to make progress against the Evils. Dr. Doom ruled the map!

TW took photos, and they should be up here soon, so you can check out the map and the games. Stay tuned for them (see Post #1461).

During the second game we reviewed the somewhat milder C3G Lava rules, and thought we'd use them (50% chance of dying instead of anything but a 20) in future instead of the regular Scape ones. It has been a long time since we put lava on the board. One of the AOA Dryan Familiars, Vrono The Brambletooth, has a Drag power which may be relevant with lava!

One of our new members was an experienced player who was lured back by Age of Annihilation will be joining me next Saturday to try out the new AOA armies I've listed above, as TW did previously. This will be followed later in the month by a third AOA session with Taeblewalker and Kolakosi (returned from vacation by then). More players are welcome at either session.

After this month it will be anything goes, as we start combining AOA with all the previous Scape cards (except Supers). I'm looking forward to get other people's takes on the new cards and their Faction synergies! And I haven't even thought about army building with all these cards together--heck, I haven't even used any of the 7 AOA Kyries yet (by Anitar).

We're also going to be using the last AOA play mechanic we've been told about during the offering period. I'll be putting some old fashioned castle walls on the map to stand in for the now unpublished new type. We'll be using the Scenario Rule mentioned for Illusory Walls; they will block line of sight but not movement. Later on down the line I'm thinking we can combine both types of wall, but without telling the players which are which. They'll have to go up to them and see which allow them passage through!

Perhaps if they try to get through and fail, that will end their movement action. Only the GM will know for sure which is which, and he'll have to write that down before the game starts...

We still have no other posters' comments about actually trying out the AOA units on this site, as far as I'm aware. Perhaps everyone is waiting to collect better AOA proxies for playing. But I'm forging ahead. I hope others will write up their impressions and ideas, either here on on my thread Playing The New Factions in the new site AOA discussion section. Since I don't do social media or get onto Discord, perhaps people can let me know where such discussions are taking place, if they indeed are.

Last edited by chas; January 12th, 2023 at 08:16 PM.
Old January 8th, 2023, 09:09 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Nice.
I think you mean C3G lava rules?
Are there pics of the map?
Old January 8th, 2023, 09:34 AM

Yes, I always mix up the initials of the two committees! The milder C3G Lava rules I refer to are in their rules booklet Fantastic Forces Unite on Page 5.

Our game photos will follow of the game and map. A link to a photo and the plans of the map are here:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=33383

(Click on Download PDF)

Last edited by chas; January 8th, 2023 at 10:15 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion