Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old July 7th, 2010, 12:17 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!
Help me pick a dungeon crawl.

So I have games that script combat in just about every way but I lack a pure dungeon crawl game. The closest I have is Space Hulk which I don't consider a true crawl because the randomness exists only with the dice and the opponent, and not the board itself.

So with that in mind, I'm looking at five different dungeon crawl games and I'm seeking the community's opinion. Or if you have a great game that I'm missing, let me know that as well.

1. Descent: Don't all dungeon crawl discussions have to start here?

What I like: Plenty of heroes, enemies and expansions. I'm a sucker for expansions.

What I don't like: I've heard the game takes forever to play. I don't know how often a game that takes 4 hours will see light at my table. Also, my game group is rarely over two players. Is this game terrible with just 2 players. Assuming one plays the overlord and the other plays 4 heroes?

2. Doom: Sci-Fi Descent

What I like: I've heard it's shorter than Descent. The figs look good (even if they are unpainted) and I like the Doom universe. One expansion doesn't hurt either.

What I don't like: Unpainted minis, the heroes are all the same and I've heard its much more difficult to win with the heroes in Doom than Descent.

3. Claustrophobia

What I like: Love the sculpts, the fact that it's geared towards two people, it's geared to be a quicker game and the fact that the figs are prepainted. I like the place your dice to choose your action mechanic.

What I don't like: If this game had an expansion, I would probably already own it. Lack of any expansions is a concern to me, especially when coinciding with my other concerns of the lack of sculpts. I'm not wild about the fact that four of the heroes are the same two sculpts.

4. DungeonQuest (soon to be released)

What I like: Looks cool and shorter. The fact that I can play it by myself is a plus as well.

What I don't like: It isn't out yet obviously but will it be big enough? How much replayability there will be?

5. DnD Castle Raveloft

What I like: Plenty of figs and tiles and I can play alone.

What I don't: The figs look like recycled DnD minis. So.... if I just keep collecting Heroscape, won't I just have them all anyway?

Other thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:24 PM

DarQraven Woo who?
Re: Help me pick a dungeon crawl.

I only have experience with Descent, but I can say that it's pretty great.
To address your concern of long playtime: yes. It is a long-winded game.

I have found that some experience with the game (or an experienced overlord) and proper organisation of the game pieces helps a lot, though.

We use some sort of hobby/sowing box with some 20-30 compartments in it to store all the chits, markers and tokens Added cost: 3 euros. Benefit: at least 30 minutes shaved off of game time (eliminates looking for potion token in giant stack of tokens on table, etc). This also makes setup and tear-down times significantly shorter.

Another thing is that the duration of the quests decreases quite a bit after the first playthrough. Quest 1 took us 5 hours the first time, only 3 the second time (both due to more comfort with the rules and not fussing too much about easily surmountable challenges).

The game is perfectly playable in shorter quests though. If you look at the Fantasy Flight website, there's a user-created quest database and many of those only take two hours.
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I don't have any real experience with them, but I know Grungebob is really into dungeon crawl games.
Old July 14th, 2010, 01:30 AM

wbdhoc knows what's in an order marker wbdhoc knows what's in an order marker

Descent is a monolithic time commitment but its the showboat of the industry and has a superb support network. The price tag has always been the obstacle for most players.

I own and advocate Doom. I would reccomend going "all in" by purchasing the expansion for casual capture the flag scenarios and balancing mechanisms that render the marines a more competitive force.

Have you considered Dungeoneer? I realize its a fairly bare bones affair but setup is minimal, play is persistent (so many crawls come with that "your turn my turn" style that can send momentum into the toilet) and while the game offers no flashy miniatures, your heroscape pieces will more than suffice as luxury proxies.

As a final sidenote, Ive had more success than I was due by using heroscape minis with Song of Blades and Heroes and the free Dungeon Plungin (http://www.oversoul-games.com/oversoul_download.html). In particular, "Plungin" is a great hybrid between RPG and mini crawl that can satisfy the dungeon itch at zero cost.

BANJO WILL GET YOU THROUGH THE TIMES WITH NO MONEY. MONEY CAN'T GET YOU THROUGH THE TIMES WITH NO BANJO.
Old July 16th, 2010, 02:10 PM

Chuckrock knows what's in an order marker Chuckrock knows what's in an order marker

Warhammer Quest!
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:18 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckrock View Post
Warhammer Quest!

Is this game still findable? How much is it?

I've heard good things about it.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:40 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land-based AE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckrock View Post
Warhammer Quest!

Is this game still findable? How much is it?

I've heard good things about it.
Warhammer quest is the best, no question, but absurdly expensive ($200+ on ebay). It's funny though, if there was a space hulk style reprint I'd gladly lay down the cash for it.

I have Descent and Doom, and I prefer the latter, for various reasons. Theme factors in pretty heavily. I'm hopeful for castle ravenloft because it's going to have full co-op play, right? That's the thing I miss most from warhammer quest, and Descent Quest (fan made mod) isn't really doing it for me.
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:55 PM

That's kind of where I am now. I really think I'm going to get Claustrophobia but it doesn't seem to belong in the group with Descent, Doom and Ravenloft. Claus is almost like Diet Coke. I don't mean that negatively, it's just not as enormous.

I think I will get Claus and 1 of the other 3. The fact that Ravenloft has a one-player mode is a real plus but I want to know more about the game.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:57 PM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land-based AE View Post
4. DungeonQuest (soon to be released)

What I like: Looks cool and shorter. The fact that I can play it by myself is a plus as well.

What I don't like: It isn't out yet obviously but will it be big enough? How much replayability there will be?
I have this game from an original release some time in the late 80's. It is an ok game. I liked the fact it could be played 1 player. As far a replayability, you can play a million games and no 2 will be the same. there are a bunch of random parts to it so it is different every time you play through. if you like to "win" this game might not be for you. it is not uncommon for everyone to die playing this game. it does play rather quick even if you get to the end. if you die it can play real quick!

Jeff H - Manchester NH

No plan survives contact with the enemy. - Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

Good traders: M.K. Sentinal, C.L., and CheddarLimbo
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:08 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

I will concur with what everybody is saying. Descent is awesome and I love playing it, but finding the time is pretty difficult. I did get the RtL expansion which cuts down the time a little (it probably will cut it down more once we play it enough) and feels more like an RPG played in a dungeon crawl setting.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old July 24th, 2010, 03:22 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My play group and I love Descent. It is so much fun. Even the girls love to play it (and it's very hard to find fun nerdy, fantasy games that are long that keep the girls' interests). The expansions are great, and it's different every time and like a new adventure when you randomize starting heroes and scenarios. I however cannot give an opinion of the other games as I have not played them. I have only played Descent with at least 4 players so don't know what it's like with only two. I'd imagine I'd still have fun but it is nice to have a large group playing it. And you pretty much have to make it a play date to play the game since it needs setup time and time to play it.
Old August 5th, 2010, 05:07 PM

Well, I ordered Claustrophobia.

Now I'll keep an eye on Ravenloft because I think I will also buy either that or Descent.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games