Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old June 4th, 2008, 04:39 PM

oracle92 knows what's in an order marker oracle92 knows what's in an order marker
Question A quick ladder question

I got FotA recently. I already looked at the thread with all the official ladder rulings such as "falling" only when it's a "fall" and all that, but there was question which I couldn't find an answer to. If you fall from a ladder to the Landing space, does that count as one move or zero?

The dice help those who help themselves.
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:42 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Re: A quick ladder question

Each rung of the ladder is like an invisible space, so "moving" from one of those invisible spaces to another space (the landing space) would count as one move, I would think. Just like moving from the bottom rung to the landing space.
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:43 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

I am a bit sketchy on this one, but I seem to recall the ruling being that you could not fall to the landing space, that you had to use the ladder all the way down. I could be wrong.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:51 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
I am a bit sketchy on this one, but I seem to recall the ruling being that you could not fall to the landing space, that you had to use the ladder all the way down. I could be wrong.
Sounds familiar. Hmmm...
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:57 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Here is a quote of the official response to the question (and a few other ladder questions):

Quote:
Originally Posted by WotC
Response (Trevor K.) 03/30/2007 09:40 AM
Hey there! So I've finally tracked down those answers for you. I've rewritten the questions with answers below to make it a bit clearer. Here you go:

Q: Can a figure fall off a ladder to a hex below if the drop is less than the figure’s height?

A: Hmm. Yes and No. Let me explain. A fall is described as moving down to a level equal to or higher than the figure’s height. (Master Set Rules Page 10). Per the Castle rules (page 6) Figures are not allowed to hop, or skip rungs unless they fall off a ladder. So in order to skip rungs, you must FALL off the ladder. To fall, the move down must be equal to or higher than the figures height. You cannot just skip down different rungs. You must count every rung possible when moving up or down unless you are falling, or stepping off of the ladder onto a hex (example 20 on page 6).

So:
Can a figure fall off a ladder? Yes, if it’s falling.
Can a figure fall off a ladder to a hex below if the drop is less than the figure’s height? No, because it’s not a “fall”.

And because this will be your next question:
What about figures that fly? Figures that can fly, leap, jump or have similar movement ignore this restriction.

Q: Since a figure can fall into a hex adjacent to the landing space when falling off the ladder, does that mean the figure can climb onto the ladder from one of those adjacent hexes?

A: Adjacent is different than Same-Level in regards to spaces.

If the space is on the same level as the landing space, you must count the landing space when moving onto the ladder (Example 25 on page 7).

If the space is on a different level than the landing space (see example 19 on page 6) you do not have to step on the landing space, or any spaces below that space you are standing on. You just have to move onto the same level ladder rung, or the one just above the level you are standing on. Again, see example 19 on page 6 for a clearer explanation, as the ladder rungs may not match the space you are standing on exactly.

Q: Does this mean that if an enemy figure is standing at the base of the ladder, my figures can’t climb up the ladder from that level?

A: Yes, it is blocked as if the opponent's figure is physically on the ladder. Your figure would not be able to climb the ladder, or it would have to find a higher adjacent space to move onto the ladder from.

Q: When falling from a ladder, does it cost a single movement point even if the figure falls into a hex adjacent to the landing space instead of the landing space?

A: Yes, falling costs one movement point even if your figure ends up in a hex adjacent to the landing space instead of the landing space.

Q: When a figure falls off a ladder that has nothing behind it (such as the ladders in examples 25 and 26 on page 7 of the Fortress of Archkyrie book) can the figure fall into the hex behind the ladder?

A: No. Since figures cannot move through ladders, as explained in example 25, the figures would not be able to fall through to the other side of the ladder either.

Sorry it took so long to get those answers for you, but I hope this clears everything up. Have fun and good gaming!
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:57 PM

oni is surprisingly tart

Falling from the top to the landing space should count as one movement and any applicable falling damage.

This thread might help.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...?t=7129&page=8

Feed the newbs! Link to a common HS topic in your signature.
Storage ideas
What Should I get next?
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:58 PM

From WotC. It looks like you can fall to the landing space, but you may also choose to fall to an adjacent space on the ground. So to answer your question, that fall can count as one OR zero. Kinda.

EDIT: Jbb already got it.
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:02 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Right; I was confused. It is a FALL though so you will roll for damage.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; June 4th, 2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old June 4th, 2008, 05:30 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

We house rule that you can drop from any rung, regardless of how far the fall is, but you always must roll for falling damage. It doesn't come into play much.
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:17 AM

oracle92 knows what's in an order marker oracle92 knows what's in an order marker

Wait, so you're saying if I my figure was on the top rung of ladder, it would cost one move to drop straight down to the landing space?

The dice help those who help themselves.
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Yes, but you don't have to drop straight down. You could drop to a space adjacent to the landing space. Does that make sense?
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:20 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle92 View Post
Wait, so you're saying if I my figure was on the top rung of ladder, it would cost one move to drop straight down to the landing space?
Only if you were "falling". that is the drop would have to meet the height requirement of a "fall", and this inturn requires you to roll for falling damage.

If you are not on the ladder but simply on a space adjacent to the top of the ladder, then it seems you could simply jump down to a lower hex even if it is not a true "fall". But once you are moving via a ladder, you must continue your movement via ladder (no dropping) unless you are actually "falling" (as above).

Edit: I just reread your first post, so I see you already understand the whole "falling" business. So yes, it would cost one movement to move to either the ladder landing space or an adjacent space when you are falling.

Last edited by jbbnbsmith; June 5th, 2008 at 01:29 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's