Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old May 7th, 2007, 10:29 PM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation
The Book of MacDirk Warriors

The Book of MacDirk Warriors
Jandar's Oath - Collection 3 - "Kilts and Commandos"

Spoiler Alert!
If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio: These highlanders are among the most fierce and loyal warriors that any leader could hope to have. They will do anything to protect their chosen Hero, and their tenacity is infectious. Leaders always gain confidence while the MacDirk clan is fighting in their Army. These clansmen scream and yell as they charge into battle with an odd assortment of weaponry. Their battle cry can be heard for miles as it echoes through the highlands. This often confuses the enemy as to where the MacDirks will show up next. 'MacDirk! MacDirk! For Clan and Highlands!’ (Hasbro)
    No, you can take a free turn (move & attack) with any one Human Champion you control before taking a turn with the Macdirk Warriors. (Hasbro FAQ)

- HIGHLAND FURY : Multiple Human Champions
    If I have more than 1 squad of MacDirk Warriors, can I choose a different Human Champion for each squad?
    No. At the start of the game you must declare who the MacDirk Warriors’ chosen human champion is. All MacDirk Warriors must have the same human champion. (dnutt99)

- HIGHLAND FURY : Mindshackled Human Champion
    What happens if my chosen human champion is mindshackled to an opponents army?
    The mindshackled champion is still the chosen champion for the MacDirk Warriors. Any wound received by the chosen champion, (before or after mindshackle), will still aid the MacDirk Warriors’ Highland Fury. (dnutt99)

Synergy Benefits Received
Synergy Benefits Offered
  • - HUMAN CHAMPION BONDING : Human Champion Units
    * Alastair MacDirk
    * Eldgrim the Viking Champion
    * Finn the Viking Champion
    * Sir Denrick
    * Sir Gilbert
    * Sir Hawthorne
    * Thorgrim the Viking Champion
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!

Power Rankings

Jexik: MacDirk Warriors- Gilbert has dusted off these neglected figures, but expensive melee figures with low defense remain hard to play. C+

OEAO: B+

Cleon: Tier 6 (95/208)

dok (VC inclusive): C+

Master Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel
MacDirk Warriors
And Mindshackled Human Champion? http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=6214
Unit Strategy Review
Unit Strategy Review: MacDirk Warriors

Last edited by superfrog; March 21st, 2019 at 01:25 PM. Reason: vc added
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:22 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
If you are playing a large point value game, leaving Alastair waaaaaayyyyyy in the back lines, safe from harm, can result in a devasting horde or MacDirks. Every round, the MacDirks use one of their bondings to make sure Alastair injures himself, bulking up the MacDirks even more...they other two turns of the round the MacDirks can bond with other champions (Finn, Thor, Hawthorne, Denrick, Gilbert) to add a fifth attacker to their storm of carnage. Gilbert is a great choice for a second champion, as a bond with him will allow extra movement for the MacDirks, getting them even closer to their targets....careful positioning will give them an extra attack die as well. On the right map and with careful play, your opponent should never get within striking distance of Alastair to be able to undo the giant boost the Macdirks are receiving from him.

Don't try this trick on a small map or in armies of less than 600 points....110 points is too much to leave unused in a smaller army. This tactic begins to work fairly well in the 800 point armies I think, on maps of at least 4 master sets or so with lots of terrain separating the starting zones.

Range can undo this force, so don't try it against a strong, range-heavy army. Also watch the terrain....don't attempt this tactic on a map that's terribly rough. This is best against a melee-heavy army or an army that is fairly mixed. Also best on relatively smooth terrain to avoid awkeard bottlenecks.
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:32 AM

tgskt7 has disabled reputation
I normally play 1000 pt games and in the games I play only part of the army is advanced with the rest held in reserve. I stick MacDirk in the back surrounded by the units that will not be advanced until later in the game. That way he has to be summoned or shot to be touched (even Ghost Walk can't get to him if there are no open adjacent hexes). Fast glyph grabbers help to locate the summoning glyph before your opponent. But there have been plenty of times where I was playing against MacDirk and got to the glyph first. (My favorite was with Saylind: land on Summoning glyph, summon MacDirk, roll and summon someone large and scary, squash MacDirk, laugh.)
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:37 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation
If your army is primarily MacDirks, you have to play Alistair close to the front and let him lead the charge. There's no other way for the squad to get his bonus; they can't attack him themselves. He's able to take a fair amount of bruising, though, and the squad around him just keeps getting deadlier. I've seen the Macdirks deliver 8-die attacks regularly. This is one of the rare squads who bond best with their like champion. In fact, they're not that extraordinary without him.

Not one step backwards!
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWeaver
If your army is primarily MacDirks, you have to play Alistair close to the front and let him lead the charge. There's no other way for the squad to get his bonus; they can't attack him themselves. He's able to take a fair amount of bruising, though, and the squad around him just keeps getting deadlier. I've seen the Macdirks deliver 8-die attacks regularly. This is one of the rare squads who bond best with their like champion. In fact, they're not that extraordinary without him.
It depends on how long of a game you're playing. On a larger map, you can bond with Alistair 1st turn and have him run in circles, overextend himself to get 1 wound, and then activate another human champ the remaining two rounds, or activate an entirely different glyph-grabbing squad (rats, vipers, etc) the remainder of the round. Then repeat the process round 2, after which your McDirks are pumped up to an attack of 4 each following the 1st turn... If there isn't a huge time pressure to rush in your McDirks, then it's strategically sound to leave Alistair in the back ranks running in circles once a round to get a +1 attack bonus per round.

But the beauty of Alistair is that he's tough enough to choose to throw him into the front lines ASAP as well. He's rugged enough to slug it out up front, and he's versatile enough with his overextend ability to safely and slowly take wounds "for the team" in the back ranks if needed.

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old May 16th, 2007, 10:18 AM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I played a game the other day; Utgar Vs Jandar, and i had Alastair as the Chosen hero. He had 4 wound 5 wound markers on him and so the Macdirks ended up having 7 attack - then i stupidly healed Alastair back to full health with kelda
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:32 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
These guys can be very dangerous if you let things get out of hand, but they're pretty easy to manage. You simply need to make them a focus, and be sure to take care of them early, while they're still pretty terrible. If they get their attack up, you really have to be careful, throwing a melee screen up so you can pick them off with a ranged squad.

Thematically, I really love this unit. Appearance-wise, they look fantastic. Completely random, looking more like a crowd of worked up drunks from the bar than any sort of organized military force. That's probably the best way to play them in my experience as well. Send out your hero (often with the Knights or more MacDirks) as a first wave assault. Once he takes a few wounds, have him retreat while the MacDirks charge in to save their beloved hero. I've seen this work quite well against the Glad/Blast combo. Alistair in particular, has the ability to kill a Gladiatron, then run away before his friends can lock him down further. After a few wounds, the MacDirks can run the Gladiatrons over pretty easily, leaving the Blastatrons a weak and vulnerable crew to clean up later.
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:11 PM

GForce3062 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandars_Hope
I played a game the other day; Utgar Vs Jandar, and i had Alastair as the Chosen hero. He had 4 wound 5 wound markers on him and so the Macdirks ended up having 7 attack - then i stupidly healed Alastair back to full health with kelda
You stupid.... j/k. But dang, that's gotta hurt! Who ended up winning the game? Why'd you pick Kelda in the first place?

Old May 16th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Flunked Ebay

MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker
A good strategy is to use their bonding to make the champion DISENGAGE! Fun stuff.

Good Traders: Maska, Fallen Templar, Punisher Fan, loborocket, Marduk, Brotharon

324 figures and counting!

Check me out here:
http://www.myspace.com/mksentinel

And FOR EVERYONE'S SAKE, BEFORE YOU POST YOUR BRILLIANT QUESTION,

Self-induced illiteracy should be a crime!!!
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:03 PM

ArcturusII has disabled reputation
It's really strange that these guys are at their most effective when their leader RUNS AWAY from battle after getting wounded.
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcturusII
It's really strange that these guys are at their most effective when their leader RUNS AWAY from battle after getting wounded.
He does NOT run away. He falls, wounded for honor, dragging himself back while cheering his laddies on. His trail is blood-streaked as his life ebbs from his body, giving strength to his loyal men.
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The Book of MacDirk Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcturusII
He does NOT run away. He falls, wounded for honor, dragging himself back while cheering his laddies on. His trail is blood-streaked as his life ebbs from his body, giving strength to his loyal men.
Most of the time I have him hiding in a corner slitting his wrists.

And I thought Deathwalker 7000 was emo.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep

Last edited by ParaGoomba Slayer; July 8th, 2008 at 08:53 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units