Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 12th, 2006, 10:57 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Taelord with snipers and/or minions can be deadly. I do think that there should have been a true bonding ability between Tae and the minions rather than the pseudo bonding, but in my experience Tae has been worth the points spent on him.

The snipers are a great squad. Get them some height and even if that's the only boast they get they should do some serious damage.

And the sacred band may not be the best melee squad, but darn it they look cool! And sometimes that's all that matters.
Old May 13th, 2006, 11:00 AM

gorillanator has disabled reputation
You guys are comparing Taelord with the snipers, which is good and all, but think of what the Minions of Utgar were made for!

A MoU with a height advantage and Taelord within aura range is just ridiculously unfair. A MoU in that situation has the best chance of doing 8 damage in the whole game!

The only time you could match 4 attack dice with Deadly Strike is with 8 regular attack dice, which can only be reached by Krug, Su-bak-na, and Jotun considering you only have one draftible Taelord.

Violence is not the answer.

Make peace!
Old May 13th, 2006, 11:01 PM
ultradoug

I've been avoiding this topic for awhile, but some out of persona experance has draged me into it somehow.
Tae's aura is "worth" 101 points, if my math is right. Thats alot of points for 1 ablity.
You have to conseder who you are inhancing, everyone keeps saying Snipers. How about 4th Mass! Them + Hight + Tae + Roman leader... Thats 350 points... now, you if you can might want a second squad of 4th, depends on point value, at best your 4 guys are around the roman dude so you get his bonus, but realistacly you might only get to enhance 2 or so, but still thats 6 normal attack dice with range
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:11 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation
"To take down Taelord's price because no one in your group manages to use him properly? Risky, but so long as you agree to bump him back up once people "get it", I guess it's okay. Just don't try to enforce this on players from other groups."

Tae's revised cost is strictly a house rule. When we're playing with my stuff, I make that option available to the players. I advocate it in this thread because it seems to bring Tae in line with the other Kyrie, but I'm not passionate enough to try to enforce my opinion on other groups.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:06 PM

Keebler has disabled reputation
Taelord seems to be costed just about right to me. I was losing badly on some of the worst dice rolls I have ever had playing HS. My forces were decimated while my opponent had lost not a single figure. In come the minions with Taelord. They had the high ground and then the took the +1 attack glyph. What a slaughter! Taelord just tried to survive and let the minions rain down their destruction. If I'm playing that he is only 80 points give him to me every time. Taelord is a serverly powerfull unit.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:22 PM

feekonea has disabled reputation
I think taelord is over costd, ut i will use him in my nest game.

great traders:

Hilo-scaper and NEMT
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:11 AM

Barfodor has disabled reputation
I dont really think I have ever used Taelord. I will give him a try next time I play. I may just draft eh Snipers and the minions to better whip up my army into a devastating force. If we play with glyphs, ill try to get the Range glyph so thatway my snipers then have 11 range. Keeping my minions in front of my snipers to protect them from melee fighters, and my snipers shooting anything that comes into range. I can see that army getting pretty powerful. Now i cant wait for my next game. I am surely excited to play Taelord. I bet that who I play with wil think i am retarded for picking him and taelord, but i will laugh when I win. Thx for the ideas. Ill get back on this when I play him.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 05:15 AM

bushi96 has disabled reputation
I dont know about over costed. But I DO KNOW that my wife picked Taelord and just one squad of elves. Happily moved all over the board and decimated both myself AND my sons armies. Taelord plus multiple frenzies make me

I somehow eeked out a victory with some "constructive alliances", but still- what a powerful killing force.

"I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat animals who are"
~G. Marx~
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:28 AM
ultradoug

tae cost

Raylin breakdown:

Life: 5 about 4 per life total 20
Move: 6 about 5 per move? total 30
Range: 1 total 6 no idea why.
Attack: 3 total 7 no idea why.
Defence: 3 total 7 no idea why.

total = 70
-------------
These may or may not effect a units overall cost.

Hight: 5
Unique Hero.
Kyrie.
Warrior.
Merciful.
------------
Defence Aura (+2/4 Spaces) - Cost 5

Flying - Cost 5.

total = 10
---------------
Total cost: 80.

Life: 5 - about 4 per life? total 20
Move: 5 - about 5 per move? total 25.
Range: 1 - total 6 no idea why.
Attack: 3 - total 7 no idea why.
Defence: 3 - total 7 no idea why.

total = 65
------
These may or may not effect a units overall cost.

Hight: 5
Unique Hero.
Kyrie.
Warrior.
Relentless.
--------

Attack Aura (+1/4 spaces) - Cost 105 points.

Flying - Cost 5 points.

Disengage - Cost 5 points.

total = 115
-------
Total cost 180.

The question is, why does adding 1 attack die cost so much, Finn has a simular ablity, but it only effects people next to him, however when he dies he gives 1 attack die to any -unique- army card. Now, Tae gives his
bonus to all figures within 4 LOS of him, does this make the differance? You could only have 6 total figures around Finn, however you could have several figures effected by Tae.
Looking at bonus to defence is a 2 out of 6 chance you add to your roll, Raylin gives this to the same number of warriors that Tae could, on the flip side of it, Thorgrim who only adds 1 to defence to warroirs seems over costed as well! He only gets to add his bonus to up to 6 guys next to him, and has his spirt of course. So Defence Aura on him seems over costed when compared to Raylines aura.
Or its the Spirt that is overcosted, its hard to tell.
Ah my head hurts.

3 out of 6 chance you can get the bonus.
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Merged.
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:04 AM

RichardD has disabled reputation
The more attack dice that are thrown in one roll, the better the attack. It's more likely to hit home, and more likely to do damage. Small attacks of 1 or 2 dice rarely cause much damage, and require a considerable amount of luck to hit a character with a 4+ dice defence. Whereas a 4-dice attack is likely to get at least one hit home even against 4 defence dice, and can score multiple hits. And against heroes, there's no such thing as "too many" skulls. So powering up attacks to high levels is clearly very valuable ability (see the way the Roman Archers work - you give up three two-dice attacks for one 6-dice attack, and that's considered to be such a powerful ability that you usually draft more than one squad to make sure you can use the ability even after taking casualties).

Powering up defence dice is doubly less efficient - firstly due to the symbols on the dice (each extra attack die will give a 50% chance of an extra skull - each defence die only has a 33% chance of a shield); and secondly due to the fact that excess shields are of no benefit (except in one or two cases), whereas extra skulls will cause more wounds to a hero.

Given the choice, I'd much rather have extra attack dice than extra defence dice as a result.

Added to which, Tea is costed to take account of the fact that he'll be drafted with Minions a lot of the time (thanks to the bonding). And adding a "deadly" die is twice as nasty as an ordinary attack die.
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD
Added to which, Tea is costed to take account of the fact that he'll be drafted with Minions a lot of the time (thanks to the bonding). And adding a "deadly" die is twice as nasty as an ordinary attack die.
The Minions have crappy bonding. Its not true bonding.

I would rather use Tae with the snipers.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units