Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 10th, 2006, 02:49 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
uhm lilnewbie?

you thinking of arrow gruts or roman archers? Snipers have a nice solid 3 defense

Hasbro site is inaccurate on their defense...card says 3
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
i match him up with KMA's all the time. one of my favorite combo's right there. I still roll horrible. even after using tae and finn and HA. as i said, i think tae is over costed, but not to the point where i wont use him, because i am primarily a defensive fighter. i wait to be attack. i hate taking the first strike. i dont know why. that just how i fight. i play heroscape the same way i would fight someone. the only time i am more offensive than defensive is if you get me pissed off. i tend to be stronger and faster when i am angry. i play football defensively, but if someone calls something on my and dont explain why, i get pissed and will score next time i get hold of the ball. Same with heroscape. if you are wiping me out, i will eventually get angry and send out my entire force after you.
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
DOH! I went to the Hasbro site. Never used them or seen them on the board so don't know their card very well. Thanks for the correction. That makes them a better pick....couldn't believe they only had 1 defense....what the?! With 3 Defense....I might just take them next game and give them a run...

Newb.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Master Custom Creator

Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker
Hasbro just needs to post something like this in a Card errata section:

Old May 11th, 2006, 07:54 AM

ArchonShiva has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by K/H_Addict
i dont like the snipers. i dont own them, and i never intend on getting any.
Then we're gettinmg our very first hint of your Taelord misperceptions.

Taelord is a monster when combined with the right people, it's like saying the Sacred Band sucks but you refuse to draft Parmenio with them. (okay, bad example, Sacred Band might suck anyway)

The snipers, to point out that fact, are not the weak unit they appear to be, they are veritable saws that mow down opposing forces like nobody's business. And I don't mean that in a small way, I mean Charos and all the big guys. A single sniper with Taelord has roughly the same killing power against heroes as a formation of Roman Archers using they Arrow Volley. Except you've got THREE snipers firing each round!

As for attack versus defense, you can always go after Raelin with ranged guys if the target proves too annoying. You can't always go after Taelord, because his boost might allow his troops to shoot you before you even get in range of him...

In all the games where I've drafted Taelord, I've won. (to be fair, I also won all the games where my opponent drafted Taelord)

Bottom line, he seemed overcosted for a long time, and then I drafted him a few. 180 points is fine, go Hasbro!
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:55 PM

StarSlayer has disabled reputation
tae, highground and snipers. deadly combo. I love to get into a good hold out like that and just gun down anything that gets close.
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:40 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
i just dont like soulborgs. i think soulborgs are the dumbest idea ever. i have had bad luck with them every time i use them. they grew into a major disappointment. darn robots.

i see this argument is a lost cause, so i fold. i will continue thinking tae costs too much, but will dragt him for every game i play forever and for always.
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:56 AM

stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla stay_golden_PONYBOY is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by K/H_Addict
they grew into a major disappointment.
No, they grew into a Major X17 and then Major Q9 (who is awesome!)
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:08 AM
has been BANNED

Jason is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
"i dont like the snipers. i dont own them, and i never intend on getting any. they take too much to get strong"

-That's crazy. 2 deadly strike dice are better than 4 regular dice and I would argue even better than 5 regular dice. Just the snipers + high ground=2 dice and with Taelord that suddenly is a crazy 3 deadly strike dice with 7 range. The snipers are possibly the BEST Anti-Hero squad in the game. Nothing is funnier than rolling 3 skulls and watching their 5 life Hero at full health die from 1 sniper and then being able to attack elsewhere with your other 2. Even with just height advantage you have a 50% chance at 2 skulls and a 25% chance at a whopping 4
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:39 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation
I've never had good luck with the snipers. Before I can manage to get them in postions where they can capitalize on their deadly strike, they get picked off in the open where they're only rolling one die. And Taelord is simply a magnet for fire. Terrible glyph holder, too. I knocked him down even farther to 80 points like the rest of the kyrie.
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:20 AM

ArchonShiva has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
2 deadly strike dice are better than 4 regular dice and I would argue even better than 5 regular dice. Just the snipers + high ground=2 dice and with Taelord that suddenly is a crazy 3 deadly strike dice with 7 range.
Your numbers hold so long as your opponent has either life points or high defense. For shooting venoc vipers, for example, even 3 normal dice are better than 2 deadly ones.

As for statistical values, let's look at these two deadly dice (a conservative number, as most maps let you get your snipers to four dice with some planning and acceptable luck. Taelord, Glyph, Elevation, though they only really need 2-3 dice to take over a game).

Average of 2 skulls.
25% of causing no wounds whatsoever (this is the downside, and it hurts them a lot against low defense squads)
75% of rolling at least two skulls (and most squads will not survive two skulls).
25% of rolling 4 skulls, which is deadly to the EOV at range and seriously threatening to Raelin-enhanced Sentinels. With three snipers shooting with every marker, you'll hit this 2.25 times per round, laying havoc on a lot of people, but it's not exactly reliable.

Now, for normal dice:

4 dice:
Average of 2 skulls, again.
6.25% of no skulls (this is good!)
93% of at least one.
68.75% of at least two. (perceptibly less)
31.25% of at least three.
4 skulls? 6.25% again. Even with nine shots per round, I wouldn't count on this.

5 dice:
at least 2 skulls: 81.25% (better)
at least 3 skulls: 50% (good when you don't actually need four.)
at least 4 skulls: 18.75% (significantly worse: with three shooters over 3 orders, you'll hit it about 1.7 times; with 4 shooters you're back to 2.25.
the odds of getting 5 skulls are alongside 3%, hardly worth discussing.

Note, however, that you need extra logistics to bring a ranged squad up to 5 attack dice, so it's a bit unfair to compare to a two dice snipers squad.

6 normal dice is better in all cases, don't even try debating it. Unless, of course, we're going for 3 deadly dice...

It all really depends on what you're trying to accomplish, but snipers are indeed very good hero killers, and one of the best uses of Taelord around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWeaver
I've never had good luck with the snipers. Before I can manage to get them in postions where they can capitalize on their deadly strike, they get picked off in the open where they're only rolling one die. And Taelord is simply a magnet for fire. Terrible glyph holder, too. I knocked him down even farther to 80 points like the rest of the kyrie.
Taelord isn't exactly what I would call a glyph holder. Glyph holders are usually any two of low-cost, high movement and hard to kil, meant to distract your opponents while your other units actually make use of the bonus. Krav Maga, Samurai, Vikings, EOV are some good examples.

To take down Taelord's price because no one in your group manages to use him properly? Risky, but so long as you agree to bump him back up once people "get it", I guess it's okay. Just don't try to enforce this on players from other groups.
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM
has been BANNED

Jason is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
If Taelord was 80 points at any table I was playing at I'd take him with the #1 pick every single game and laugh myself to victory

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units