Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old April 7th, 2014, 12:13 AM

Zarklin knows what's in an order marker Zarklin knows what's in an order marker
Played my first game today!

Hey all, I finally played my first game of HeroScape! My wife and I started getting into tabletop games about a month ago and I when I came across this I knew I had to try it. So when I realized it was out of print off to ebay I went... wish I would have found this site first probably over paid a bit but oh well live and learn.

Picked up a complete RotV, and two castles. Castle 1 is missing one ladder section, Castle 2 is missing the flag some base plates (had enough for this setup) and 1 ladder section, but came with a good bit of grass, rock and sand.

So here was our first game: still learning all the mechanics but we had a blast.

We're hooked now to keep expanding and try not to overpay. I did blow some of my overtime on more terrain, have 1386 hex's on the way averaged out to about 9 cents a hex if I don't count the 50+ figures coming with it. I'll be sure to post the loot when it shows up. I'll have to wait a bit before I spend more but I'm working on my wishlist haha. I'd love to get the lava, ice and bridge/tree sets but OMG do they go for a lot on ebay . I think my next goals are to get the few castle pieces I need then get or reprint cards for any figures that need them for what I have on the way. Then to piece together the Marro set, I've got swamp coming but no swamp water...

What do you guys think are some "must haves" it'll pretty much just be my wife and I playing unless we find some other table top game lovers in the area.

Thanks all.
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:50 AM
Business Casual

SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth
Re: Played my first game today!

First off, welcome to the site!

You should definitely check out the Sales and Trades section of the forum.

As far as the "must haves," that's the beauty of this game--you get to decide what's most important. If it were me, I'd just look at one each of the lava and ice sets, but probably 2 of the bridge/tree sets (to start with).

I know that I do not know.
C3G INDEX - SSE 92 - JSA GENERATIONS
Old April 7th, 2014, 01:23 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Hello Zarklin!

For terrain, the bridge/tree set is the best set and it compliments the castle set nicely. Based on what you already have, I agree with SirGalahad, you should definitely get at least 2 of them.

Sorry you got hooked so late in the game. The afterlife prices are a true reflection of Heroscape's longevity.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; April 7th, 2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old April 7th, 2014, 08:29 AM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Woohoo another addict! Nice picture!

As SirGalahad already said, there isn't exactly a "most important" when buying more stuff. I'd stick to some of the cheaper stuff, wave 1 heroes and commons are usually cheap and they add quite a bit to just the RotV set alone. You may want to strongly consider getting at least two sets of each of the common squads, but I find that three is a nicer number, allows you to really start doing "hordes."

The road to the forgotten forest looks beautiful, the trees are great, but that set can run quite a few bucks. Lava and Tundra sets tend to be pretty expensive, IMO. You can totally live without them for some time.
Old April 7th, 2014, 09:21 AM

Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Also, the Lava set has no special feature apart tiles of different colors, so you can easilly make a custom one with normal tiles and some paint. I did my lava set this way. paint some tiles with red spray paint. Then, with a small paint roller and a dark grey paint, you do some dry brushing on top of the tile.
lastly, a matt varnish to make it last, and you're done ! Can't beat the price, and it took me like 2 hours. Just don't put too much paint, or the tile will be hard to put with others tiles.

Spoiler Alert!
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the bridge set and or parts of it. Seems like a full set goes about $45-50 on ebay so I'm guessing anything under that is good? I did it piece by piece at Auggies and it worked out right around 45 I think (though not everything was in stock). Are they a good guide line for fair prices?

I'll be sure to stick my head in over at the sales thread, thanks for pointing me there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrgard View Post
Also, the Lava set has no special feature apart tiles of different colors, so you can easily make a custom one with normal tiles and some paint. I did my lava set this way. paint some tiles with red spray paint. Then, with a small paint roller and a dark grey paint, you do some dry brushing on top of the tile. l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrgard View Post
astly, a matt varnish to make it last, and you're done ! Can't beat the price, and it took me like 2 hours. Just don't put too much paint, or the tile will be hard to put with others tiles.
That looks awesome, I hadn't even thought about repainting tiles. You got me intrigued though and I just checked out the custom terrain thread, wow, so much can be done. I think there me be some custom terrain in one of the orders I have on the way. I noticed it said 2 - 24hex snow but from looking around I didn't find and snow in 24hex so my guess is a repaint. I'm assuming grass, rock and sand tiles are the most common and could be found the cheapest to repurpose? Did you repaint water tiles for the lava pool as well? Too bad there's no good way to make custom ice.

Thanks again.
Old April 7th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Master Set #2: Swarm of the Marro comes with some good figures, especially the Marro Stingers and Major Q10. Other than that, until you get more into the game I suggest going for some of the less expensive figures. Each pack used to cost about $12 $13 (list of packs here, scroll down to Wave and Pack). Keep that in mind as you buy.

The prices are only slightly based on popularity and power level. Mostly they are based upon distribution. Hasbro re-minted Wave 1 right before Heroscape was cancelled, so there were a lot of extra packs of Wave 1--even though the figures are pretty good. (The gruts also go really well with Grimnak.) There should also be a lot of wave 8 and the newer packs (D1-D3).

I wouldn't buy more than 1 of each unique hero, since you can only have one in your army at a time. Same thing for unique squads such as the Ninjas. For the large sets, I love Raknar's Vision (Heroes of Lindesfarme) the best.

Last edited by White Knight; April 7th, 2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old April 7th, 2014, 08:27 PM

Thank you very much I will check those out for sure
Old April 7th, 2014, 08:40 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Each pack used to cost about $12 (list of packs here, scroll down to Wave and Pack). Keep that in mind as you buy.
I believe $12.99 plus tax was the MSRP to be exact, but otherwise White Knight is completely correct.

Welcome to the site!
Old April 7th, 2014, 09:03 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Welcome, brother!

Neither snow nor sand was made in 24 hex pieces; but you can find them custom made on the internet--I just got a whole bunch myself for about $7 each.
Old April 7th, 2014, 09:16 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Very cool map.

Wave 1 is a must have for me. The Romans vs the Gruts will always have a place at my table.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; April 7th, 2014 at 09:16 PM. Reason: A classic battle of shield vs dinosuar!
Old April 7th, 2014, 11:37 PM

Deathwalker24 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIS View Post
Very cool map.

Wave 1 is a must have for me. The Romans vs the Gruts will always have a place at my table.
Yes I do like The Romans and the gruts also But could always use another set or two of them for a mini roman army.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick." Teddy Roosevelt

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion