Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games
Card Games Including 'collectable' card games.

Notices

Old September 9th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Catan Card Game

Just wondering if anyone has played this.

Oogiezone and I really like Settlers but sometimes we can can't get a third and thought that the card game would be a good addition to our collection. I have been reading lots of reviews and looking at the cards and rules.

It seems like we would like it. Anyone have any opinions?
Old September 9th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I bought it about 2 months ago. It's not bad. It does take some getting use to of not holding resource cards in your hand but watching the numbers on the cards each turn. And since both players get resources eahc role there is little to no trading. I'm thinking about getting the new 6 pk of teh exapnsion cards.

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old September 9th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I have read that the expansion does help. I wanted to try the main game before picking up the expansion, no sense in buying them both if we didn't like the base game.

The way the resources work is pretty much the same as Starship Catan which is pretty fun. So that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

We should be playing tonight when she gets off work.
Old September 9th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
We have the first edition, and have had it for several years. We both love Settlers, but we couldn't make it through one game of the card game. I don't know if we weren't in the right mood for it or what, but we have never gotten the urge to try it again.

I also don't know if the second edition changed anything or not, so it may be better now...

Jim

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old September 9th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Site Admin

I remember reading that if you go in expecting Settlers of Catan you will probably not like it, because it is in fact not Settlers of Catan. From what I have read it has aspects of Cities and Knights to it.

I hope we like it.
Old September 9th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Yes there are 12, I think, different knoghts in the basic game. And the knoght token comes into play during the game.

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old September 9th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Gabbi is surprisingly tart
Il love Catan card game, It's fun and somewhat relaxin. I've played it soo much with an ex-gf, she loved it. the only drawback of this game is the lack of interaction, you play most of the time acting alone, racing against your opponent, but without interactin too much with him/her.
about the expansions, I don't like them very much. I've purchased a couple, but I don't like the way they work with the game...
Old September 9th, 2006, 08:29 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
I'm with Jim. Had the first edition, hated it. Of course, it being in German made it trickier.

IMO, Starship Catan (the two player card game based on Starfarers of Catan, which itself is based on Settlers) was far better. But like tha cardgame, it tended to run a little long.

My favourite two-player game in the Catan stable is Anno 1503 (it also works well with 3 and 4, but is great with 2 IMO). It's not actually Settlers, but designed by the same chap with some very similar mechanisms (collect cards; hand in sets of cards to build stuff; roll dice to get more cards). For some reason, it was largely ignored on release 3 years ago (possibly because everyone was weary of Settlers, and 1503 doesn't have any trading between players).
Old September 10th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Site Admin

So I went ahead and picked this up and played a game tonight. Review coming soon. I really liked it though, I think the girlfriend did too. Going to have to pick up the expansions for it soon and try those out.
Old October 29th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Catan Card Game

I just recently bought the Catan Card Game, and hope to take it for a spin tomorrow. I'm always looking for new 2-player games my wife will enjoy... hopefully this is another one! So far her favorite games are Ticket to Ride and Carcasonne. (sadly, she won't try Heroscape...)

I read through the instructions and it sounds like a fun game. I'd be interested to hear the opinions of anyone here who has the game. And to start out with, is it better for the first game or two to have a reduced victory point win? Maybe 10pts instead of 12pts to speed up initial play to get the feel of it?

(and FYI, we've never tried the actual Settlers game yet, so we have no expectations / comparrisons to worry about.)

Thanks!

SW8K

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old October 29th, 2008, 10:55 AM

RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby! RageAngel rolls all skulls baby!

My wife and I have 2 base sets and 2 sets of the expansions, so we can customize our own decks. The base game is fun, the expansion makes it VERY replayable. Some of the themes from the expansions, particularly the Wizard one, completely changes the game.

Plays like a CCG themed on Settlers and Cities and Knights.

Other than adding a new expansion, 2nd Edition didn't seem to change much.

Also, reducing point goal doesn't make much difference as the game starts slow and suddenly ramps up. The first 6 VPs will take you much longer than the last 6.
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:13 AM

SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000 View Post

I just recently bought the Catan Card Game, and hope to take it for a spin tomorrow. I'm always looking for new 2-player games my wife will enjoy... hopefully this is another one! So far her favorite games are Ticket to Ride and Carcasonne. (sadly, she won't try Heroscape...)
Snotwalker -- you and I are in the same boat here. If you find anything else besides the two games you listed that your wife is interested in, send me a PM!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games