Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Notices

Old February 19th, 2021, 12:28 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Valkyrie - A HeroScape Fan Fiction

Chapter Six is now live! Questions are answered, but new ones take their place...

~TGRF.
Old February 20th, 2021, 01:25 PM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Chapter Seven is now live!

~TGRF.
Old February 21st, 2021, 12:41 PM

Chapter Eight is now live!

~TGRF.
Old February 22nd, 2021, 12:57 PM

The lengthy chapter nine is now live! Comments or criticism are welcome.

~TGRF.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 12:19 PM

Chapter Ten is now live! With this chapter, I'd be interested to know how the interactions seemed to you. Forced? Natural? Somewhere in between?

~TGRF.
Old February 24th, 2021, 12:48 AM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Finally caught up. Still a very fast pace--so far everything I think will take up the whole story is resolved in a chapter or two--so I don't know what to expect as to where we'll be by the end.

I will say though it was odd to have a sudden change of POV out of nowhere nine chapters in, suddenly hearing the thoughts of someone who's not Utgar, but if the narrative is beginning to shift focus then that's the way it's going to be.

Anyway as far as predictions standard-writing me assumes Vraen will turn out to be a twist villain trying to seize power, while advanced-writing me wants the POV to continue to shift and then have Utgar himself turn out to be the twist villain. We'll see what happens.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old February 24th, 2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Finally caught up. Still a very fast pace--so far everything I think will take up the whole story is resolved in a chapter or two--so I don't know what to expect as to where we'll be by the end.

I will say though it was odd to have a sudden change of POV out of nowhere nine chapters in, suddenly hearing the thoughts of someone who's not Utgar, but if the narrative is beginning to shift focus then that's the way it's going to be.

Anyway as far as predictions standard-writing me assumes Vraen will turn out to be a twist villain trying to seize power, while advanced-writing me wants the POV to continue to shift and then have Utgar himself turn out to be the twist villain. We'll see what happens.

~TAF
As far as the PoV goes, I'm not really sure of way to do a 'smooth' PoV transition. I mean... you're either in one PoV or another. The most I could have done would be to include Runa's PoV much earlier in the story, but with this particular plot I couldn't do that.

I will say that PoV shifts don't seem to bother me that much, both in my own writing and in the writing of others. I don't know if I'm in the minority there; I'm guessing I am.

As to the predictions:

For now, Chapter Eleven is now live!

~TGRF.
Old February 24th, 2021, 02:50 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Usually what makes the POV shift more smooth for me is if that particular chapter opens with said character being the focus. Since ch 9 started with Utgar that's what made it stick out to me. It's not bad per se, just a little jarring. It's like this one French show I was watching in my language class in college where suddenly gratuitous nudity was introduced a dozen episodes in. It's not a major turn off, I just wasn't expecting it because usually content is established consistently throughout a TV show. Or how literally anything I write always becomes extremely violent out of nowhere towards the end

Of course it may also be because the narration style had been distant as I noted earlier. I don't think we've been privy to inner thoughts dialogue for Utgar, as far as I can recall. That may have contributed as well.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old February 24th, 2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Usually what makes the POV shift more smooth for me is if that particular chapter opens with said character being the focus. Since ch 9 started with Utgar that's what made it stick out to me. It's not bad per se, just a little jarring. It's like this one French show I was watching in my language class in college where suddenly gratuitous nudity was introduced a dozen episodes in. It's not a major turn off, I just wasn't expecting it because usually content is established consistently throughout a TV show. Or how literally anything I write always becomes extremely violent out of nowhere towards the end

Of course it may also be because the narration style had been distant as I noted earlier. I don't think we've been privy to inner thoughts dialogue for Utgar, as far as I can recall. That may have contributed as well.

~TAF
Ahhhh... I see what happened. I had this issue in HiS, but forgot about it. In Word, there is an extra blank paragraph break every time the PoV shifts. Like this:

But in Worpress, those don't carry over. So you literally go straight from one line to the next. I'll see about putting some separators in there.

Still though, I get what you're saying. I'll generally try to set something up if I'm going to use it. It's just that these twists need things a certain way if they're going to work. For example, I couldn't have had Runa's PoV earlier because then the reader would know instantly why she was taken.

As for the narration style - it's possible. The first half of the story went through a few revisions while the second half stayed mostly the same, so I might have started out with a more consistent style throughout - I'll never know since I only wrote it once.

~TGRF.

EDIT: Got some separators in there, see if that's better.
Old February 25th, 2021, 12:30 PM

Chapter Twelve is now live! There's one PoV shift in there; I've used a separator to create some space at the transition. Let me know if it smooths things out a bit.

~TGRF.
Old February 26th, 2021, 12:56 PM

Chapter Thirteen is now live! Things heat up as we draw towards the climax!

~TGRF.
Old February 27th, 2021, 12:44 PM

Chapter Fourteen is now live! Things come together as unseen enemies draw close...

~TGRF.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction