Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old July 14th, 2022, 02:15 AM

OCDJ-scaper is surprisingly tart
Lightbulb OCDJ’s Custom Concepts and Discussions ⭕️

Here is a thread where I would like to mingle amongst other clearly awesome people who share the same love we all have for this game as well as discuss any new things they may be working on. This may consist of any topic from sculpt recommendations, feedback on cards and powers, etc. If you have any customs you’ve already produced that you feel like flexing or want to share with the class because the topic is of said sculpt please by all means. I’m very interested to see what you guys think of the things that I have been working on of course as well, but we’ll get to that later. For starters, I’d like to specify for this thread that we’re looking to talk about customs for base Heroscape not necessarily C3G unless it inspires a character build for the fantasy type time travel theme that is Heroscape. OK, well then I’m getting drowsy 🥱, so I’ll kick this thread off with this monster! I summon Ro-Thaga in attack position!
Ro-Thaga is my take on expanding the species of Dzu-Teh. I’m a huge fan of yeti’s, Sasquatch, etc. whatever they’re awesome. (early in production he was designed as a beast, but was always intended for a king…perhaps it is self proclaimed?) The figure used is from D&D and is called the Abominable Yeti. Abominable Yeti - Icewind Dale Rime of Frostmaiden #31 D&D Huge Miniature

Name: RO-THAGA
General: JANDAR
Species: DZU-TEH
Type: Double-Spaced UNIQUE HERO
Class: KING
Personality: WILD
Height: HUGE 9

LIFE 6
MOVE 5
RANGE 1
ATTACK 5
DEFENSE 4
225 POINTS

THAELENK TUNDRA KING
If Ro-Thaga is adjacent to a Glacier Mountain, he may Glacier Traverse instead of moving normally. You may do this more than once per turn. To Glacier Traverse, move to any unoccupied space adjacent to that Glacier Mountain and continue moving if possible. Slippery Ice and Heavy Snow only count as 1 space and add 1 to his Move if he ends his movement on a ice or snow space.

DZU-TEH HUNTER ENHANCEMENT
All friendly Dzu-Teh Hunters adjacent to Ro-Thaga roll an additional attack die and defense die.

DZU-TEH SUMMONING BATTLECRY
Before attacking, if Ro-Thaga is within 5 spaces of a Glacier Mountain, snow or ice space, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, add 1 to Ro-Thaga's Range and Attack for the duration of this turn and immediately place any Dzu-Teh figures you control in your army within 2 spaces of Ro-Thaga if possible. If you roll an 18 or higher, you may attack with any 3 Dzu-Teh figures that were successfully summoned. Figures moved by this special power will not take any leaving engagements.

GLACIER CAMOUFLAGE
If Ro-Thaga is adjacent to a Glacier Mountain, opponents' figures must be adjacent to Ro-Thaga to attack him with a normal attack.

Last edited by OCDJ-scaper; August 3rd, 2022 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Looking to reboot and establish more personal vibes and conversation as opposed to seeming like I’m just looking for feedback. No, I want to compare and share and blah blah.
Old August 11th, 2022, 01:14 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: OCDJ’s Custom Concepts and Discussions ⭕️

That is an awesome figure.

--

For the design, I would suggest simplifying it a little bit. You have 4 powers on the card, and they all overlap the same design space. I would think about cutting it down to just 2 or 3 powers, and simplifying either the Summoning Battlecry or the Tundra King.

The theme is pretty strong, though, and I like tying him to the Dzu-Teh. I do think he's way overpriced for such a terrain-dependent figure. Even on his favored terrain I think he'll struggle to earn his value most of the time.

Adding 1 to his range is odd. Is that supposed to represent Reach? As written it lets him attack people that are dozens of tiles higher than he is.

Also, if you let a different figure make an attack in the middle of Ro-Thaga's turn you introduce a lot of thorny rules corner-cases. I suggest dropping that part from the Summoning effect.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old August 11th, 2022, 01:25 PM

Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness Alexandros wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Was gonna make some suggestions, but I see capsocrates made all of them, and then some. I'd second what he's saying. Very cool theme for a custom though- nice stuff.
Old August 14th, 2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post

That is an awesome figure.

--

For the design, I would suggest simplifying it a little bit. You have 4 powers on the card, and they all overlap the same design space. I would think about cutting it down to just 2 or 3 powers, and simplifying either the Summoning Battlecry or the Tundra King.

The theme is pretty strong, though, and I like tying him to the Dzu-Teh. I do think he's way overpriced for such a terrain-dependent figure. Even on his favored terrain I think he'll struggle to earn his value most of the time.

Adding 1 to his range is odd. Is that supposed to represent Reach? As written it lets him attack people that are dozens of tiles higher than he is.

Also, if you let a different figure make an attack in the middle of Ro-Thaga's turn you introduce a lot of thorny rules corner-cases. I suggest dropping that part from the Summoning effect.
Thanks cap I appreciate the feedback I was definitely thinking the same. Thank you for posting a picture too, idk how to do that
Old August 14th, 2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
Was gonna make some suggestions, but I see capsocrates made all of them, and then some. I'd second what he's saying. Very cool theme for a custom though- nice stuff.
Thank you alexandros, I saw him in a store loose and couldn’t resist the opportunity of connecting him to dzu-teh. Since there’s no addition to their race I think it’s worth exploring.
Old September 11th, 2022, 12:35 PM

Life - 6
Move - 6
Range- 1
Attack 6
Defense- 3
Points- 160

THAELENK TUNDRA KING/Alpha?
If Ro-Thaga is adjacent to a Glacier Mountain, opponents' figures must be adjacent to attack him with a normal attack. Rothaga may Glacier Traverse instead of moving normally. You may traverse more than once per turn. To Glacier Traverse, move to any unoccupied space adjacent to that Glacier Mountain and continue moving if possible. Slippery Ice and Heavy Snow only count as 1 space.

SUMMONING DZU-TEH BATTLCRY
After revealing an Order Marker on this card, if Ro-Thaga is on a snow or ice space, you may roll the 20-sided die. Add the number of Dzu-Teh you control adjacent to Ro-Thaga to your die roll. If you roll a 14 or higher, immediately summon, if possible, one of your own previously destroyed Dzu-Teh figures within 4 OR 6? clear sight spaces of Ro-Thaga.

DZU-TEH ENHANCEMENT
All friendly Dzu-Teh adjacent to Ro-Thaga roll an additional attack die and an additional defense die.

So, @capsocrates what I did was add 1 to his base movement and lowered his defense but poured it into his attack otherwise I’m willing to put him back at 5 and 4. But with 6 and 3 he’s a glass cannon, getting no buffs himself from dzu-teh which requires the squads to actually protect their king which was the concept of the design initially.
Furthermore, I got rid of the ranged swipe and considered an engaging strike given his stance in sculpt but instead wanted to see what we thought about still giving him a ranged special of sorts consisting of what I called glacier hurl. So thematically he’s ripping chunks and pieces from glaciers and chucking them at opponents.

GLACIER HURL Special Attack
Range 3. Attack 3.
Instead of attacking normally, if Ro-Thaga is adjacent to a Glacier Mountain, choose a figure within 3 clear sight spaces of him to attack with his Glacier Hurl Special Attack.
@Alexandros any insight?
Old September 28th, 2022, 04:16 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

You still have quote a few powers going on here. I suggest picking one or two and really focusing on them. The Dzu-Teh enhancement is fine as a third power.

Of the ones you've posted, the Glacier Hurl and Dzu-Teh summoning are the nearest, in my opinion. You could do the two of them together or one of them with some kind of Glacier Traverse. I suggest keeping the Glacier Traverse ability pretty simple though.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old September 28th, 2022, 05:26 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

You really have 6 different powers here and I've reworked them a little (very little) for you.

THAELENK TUNDRA KING
If Ro-Thaga is adjacent to a Glacier Mountain, only adjacent figures may attack him with a normal attack.

SUMMONING DZU-TEH BATTLECRY
After revealing an Order Marker on this card, if Ro-Thaga is on a snow or ice space, you may roll the 20-sided die. Add the number of Dzu-Teh you control adjacent to Ro-Thaga to your die roll. If you roll a 14 or higher, immediately summon, one of your own previously destroyed Dzu-Teh figures within 2 clear sight spaces of Ro-Thaga.

DZU-TEH ENHANCEMENT
All friendly Dzu-Teh adjacent to Ro-Thaga roll an additional attack die and an additional defense die.

ENHANCED GLACIER TRAVERSE
Rothaga may Glacier Traverse more than once per movement phase instead of moving normally. To Glacier Traverse, move to any unoccupied space adjacent to a Glacier Mountain and continue moving if possible.

CLAW MOVEMENT
Slippery Ice and Heavy Snow only count as 1 space.

GLACIER HURL Special Attack
Range 3. Attack 3.
Instead of attacking normally, if Ro-Thaga is adjacent to a Glacier Mountain, choose a figure within 3 clear sight spaces of him to attack with his Glacier Hurl Special Attack.

Personally I would split this into two figures. A king figure, probably 1 spaced; with Tundra King, Summoning and Dzu-Teh Enhancement and a secondary in charge, the big guy figure; with Enhanced Glacier, Crawl and Hurl.

Just my two cents.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; September 28th, 2022 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Another 198 cents and we're really talking bucks.
Old October 16th, 2022, 04:09 PM

Ok I here you guys. I do agree it is a combo deal for each power and can be quite lengthy. The issue here is we’re trying to combine the dzu-teh abilities as a base for this design and move up from there. A squad of 3 Dzu-Teh are a total of 75 points with glacier traverse, snow and ice enhanced movement and glacier camouflage. Now, I will agree the glacier camouflage is me being greedy. I fought for this in the design because cinematically I imagined him all over these mountains and if he were to be climbing or hanging off of one (adjacent) he’d just seem like a bump on a mountain. So, I will scratch the camouflage, but he has to keep the movement to 1 on snow and ice, and an enhanced glacier traverse. The summoning was reworked to be exactly that because prior you’d just be rolling every turn to just move up your dzu teh with him into battle. However, much to my groups dismay, I found it to be exhaustingly repetitive. So, given that I only own 2 sets a total of 6 dzu- teh and they can be pricier or rare depending on where you find them I made it a revive ability still giving you the concept but now with a potential for endless supply of 1 each turn with the roll of 14 like iskra. However, given that he’s only calling back one I’d argue the roll could be lower? The enhancement stays for the design.
Old October 16th, 2022, 04:27 PM

Rhotaga
Jandar
Dzu-Teh
Unique Hero
King
Wild
Huge:9
Life:6
Move:6
Attack:5
Defense:3

Thaelenk Tundra King:
Rhotaga may Glacier Traverse more than once per movement phase instead of moving normally. To Glacier Traverse, move to any unoccupied space adjacent to a Glacier Mountain and continue moving if possible. Slippery Ice and Heavy Snow only count as 1 space.

Summoning Dzu-Teh Battlecry:
After revealing an Order Marker on this card, if Rhotaga is on a snow or ice space, you may roll the 20-sided die. Add the number of Dzu-Teh you control adjacent to Rhotaga to your die roll. If you roll a 14 or higher, immediately summon, one of your own previously destroyed Dzu-Teh figures within 4 clear sight spaces of Rhotaga.

Dzu-Teh Enhancement:
150 points

I think is a solid build for the boys to digest. However, for play testing I still find him to need that reach over his minions to complete the playstyle. You want to keep your dzu-teh close and defending rhotaga only gradually pushing up from him. When a dzu-teh dies you want to summon it back asap to fill in the gaps around Rhotaga so he himself does not take the agro because if he does he will fall and thus your army as well.
Old October 16th, 2022, 04:35 PM

So, my final proposal for this design is a wild reach.

Reach: If an opponent's figure is within 2 spaces of Rhotag, and its base is no more than 3 levels above Rhotaga's height or 3 levels below his base, Rhotaga may add 1 to his Range when attacking that figure.

Or limit the freedom and require he must be adjacent to a dzu-teh to get that buff.

Wild Reach: If an opponent's figure is within 2 spaces of Rhotaga, and its base is no more than 3 levels above Rhotaga's height or 3 levels below his base, Rhotaga may add 1 to his Range when attacking that figure. Rhotaga must be adjacent to a friendly figure with the wild personality in order to use his Wild Reach.

Go up to 160 points and finalize? Or scratch it and move on. Somebody give me a slap on the wrist and take this design out of my brain we’ve (I’ve) reworked him so many times since his initial design. I wonder if Rhotaga looks both ways when he crosses my mind daily lol.
Old October 16th, 2022, 04:43 PM

@AMIS I was on the same wavelength when coming to the conclusion that in order to expand upon the Dzu-Teh army effectively it would need to be extended to another figure. So, I’m in the midst of designing either a dzu-teh elite squad or uncommon hero consisting of the D&D Taer #58 figure. After receiving it, turns out to be just a tad too small in my opinion but still works. So, I’m thinking of giving him the standard glacier traverse, camouflage, and enhanced movement on snow and ice, as well as some type of pack movement or dzu-teh bonding.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards