Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old March 4th, 2021, 07:11 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Cpt. Stupedendous' Customs 2/27/21 Einar Soulborg Factio

I'm on board with these changes. That combo is rather potent with Valorion and Marcus but it costs a lot of points to commit to, gives up a lot of board presence and should be something that can be overcome. It'll snipe a large threat but squads will just spread out and swarm you from what I'm seeing.

I understand the concerns with 5R and 5M on Solarion, I'm curious to see how it turns out in testing.
Old September 5th, 2021, 10:29 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Cpt. Stupedendous Customs 9/5/21 SirGilbert Dragonslayer

Stupe's Customs Special Release 1: Jandar's "Mercy"

Text Version
Spoiler Alert!

A while back I purchased a lot that came with a damaged Sir Gilbert and Braxas. Not wanting them to go to waste, I decided to mod them, and came up with the dark and gritty Gilbert reboot

I'm not quite sure how much to price the design above. My guess would be that its quite powerful (especially with the Coward's Reward synergy), but probably not quite as strong as classic Gilbert, given how valuable Jandar's Dispatch is to knights armies.

Old September 5th, 2021, 06:27 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Superb mod

Despite how invaluable the average +2 move boost to the Knights are with the Jandar's Dispatch, this version would likely still be more costly: between the Coward's Reward and the potential for falling damage or lava dunking. Or even just moving people off of glyphs or height. Only affecting Squad figures helps immensely.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old September 12th, 2021, 10:28 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Superb mod

Despite how invaluable the average +2 move boost to the Knights are with the Jandar's Dispatch, this version would likely still be more costly: between the Coward's Reward and the potential for falling damage or lava dunking. Or even just moving people off of glyphs or height. Only affecting Squad figures helps immensely.

~TAF
Thanks TAF!

After considering Killbert's offensive potential, I think I agree with you. My initial analysis was influenced by some comments on the discord from @OEAO who said that he'd rather have classic Gilbert, but I think the way he will demolish squads makes him worth it.

I also think the range on Jandar's Mercy could probably be reduced to 4 or 5. I was trying to mirror Jandar's Dispatch as much as possible, but that's probably being too cute for the design's own good.

At this point I'm thinking maybe 120 ish, with the original 8R?
Old September 16th, 2021, 06:23 PM

blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby!

I like the idea of Killbert a lot, and the mod looks cool!

The synergy potential of the "mercy" ability with Cowards' Reward is huge, but the loss of the dispatch for the knights will make it challenging to set up (especially against a ranged army). The ability does allow a quasi-dispatch effect by bringing enemy squad units closer so your 4 move knights can maybe engage a turn earlier. The effectiveness of that would definitely need to be tested.

I'm also inclined to try out Killbert as a champion for the MacDirk Warriors. Compared to Alastair, Killbert encourages a full-on assault rather than the "hang back and overextend each round." The extra defense on Killbert gives him more survivability to do that. And the extra mobility from the warriors means you won't be let down by the 4 Move knight issue quite as much.

My main criticism at this point is the name of the ability. I don't like calling it "mercy" because one of its intended uses is to stab people in the back. It doesn't seem Jandar themed to let your enemies walk away at your mercy only for you to take advantage of them immediately. That doesn't seem chivalrous to me at all.
I think it would be more thematically consistent if the ability was named something like "Stoic Intimidation" or "Rout the Cowardly" or "Cower Before the Righteous." Something that invokes the idea that the combat morale of the knights is unwavering and causes the morale of their opponents to break.

Last edited by blast_shark; September 17th, 2021 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added signature
Old September 16th, 2021, 07:08 PM

@blast_shark thanks for your feedback! Glad to hear the mechanics sound fun, and now I’m interested in trying him with the macdirks ��

Regarding the theme, I don’t think my intended meaning of Jandars Mercy came across the way I hoped it would. The theme I wanted to convey was that the sign of Jandar’s “mercy” is the decapitated head of a traitorous former dragon ally. IE, Jandar’s idea of “mercy” for the enemy is a swift death.

The movement ability then represents enemy squad figures fleeing in terror from this grisly sign.

However, it seems like that intended theme doesn’t quite come across, so I may need to rethink the name a bit. I quite like “Rout the Cowardly”, although I wanted the name to refer more directly to the decapitated Braxas, if possible.
Old September 27th, 2021, 11:39 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Sign of Jandar's Strength then?

Love the mod. Decapitated dragons always make for cool heroes.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old September 28th, 2021, 12:41 AM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Might underline the need for a bio not all themes are readily expressed by the limited space we have on a card. If they were all expressed that easily then comic books would be the overwhelming form of highly regarded printed media in the world, but they ain't doing so well on the market right now.

Another suggestion for the name could be Jandar's Justice, if you needed more edge with your dragon head on a pike. Quick question though, did you mean for them to jump to their death's in terror off cliffs and into lava? Easy fix for that is to let the opponent move their own figures so you don't get too much free value. Otherwise, I like the mechanic that you've chosen.
Old November 13th, 2021, 02:51 AM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

No real feedback, but very much looking forward to seeing the final version of Killbert. Will be super easy to make since I've got like a thousand Mimrings
Old September 1st, 2022, 03:42 AM

TheIsamu knows what's in an order marker TheIsamu knows what's in an order marker

Really late to the party on this but a friend of mine showed me the zettian swarmers because he knows I love death walkers and we accumulated a lot of Utgar soulborg customs (official and otherwise) over the years and Id love to run a horde of these guys. Gameplay and Lore wise I thought they really worked well with the deathwalkers and their cluster rule is just too cool (especially if it makes them harder to shift if up against normal attacks). Ever consider giving them a combined defense roll if a cluster is attacked like roman archers combining their dice to attack? It would probably necessitate a bump in points but I was just wondering.

They also really gel with how I imagined the Deathwalkers conducted war. In terms of head-cannon, I always thought the zettians abducted organics to extract the souls from them to fuel their armies (humanoids for infantry and guards, wildlife for deathstalkers and deathreavers etc.) But what about subjects of torture or POWs? I thought the swarmers would be the result of forcefully fragmenting the consciousness of some high priority target for interrogation or something and bottling up a sliver of their souls into these diminutive Duracells on legs as a display of power. The tiny piece of a persons mind essentially put in mental solitary while acting as the cpu whose programmed orders over-rides what little will power or sanity they have left as a small piece of their former selves.

I know you posted a ton more since then and I'll be sure to comment again when reading through the rest of the thread. (those Einar soulborgs look sick btw). Also what would you recommend for running as alternate sculpts for the swarmers? I looked into tiny pieces from an old transformers edition of risk I found lying around but they might be too small.
Old September 1st, 2022, 09:38 AM

Hi @TheIsamu , thanks for stopping by my thread!

I also love your take on their backstory. If I ever get around to writing a bio for these guys, I'll probably use that angle. I've also gone ahead and updated their personality to better reflect your head-canon

I'm hesitant to give them a combined defense roll, mainly because the card is already very complex and I'm not sure its best to add even more abilities to the card.

Here's my updated version of the card (note that I haven't tested it yet, but I'd consider my theoryscaping skills to be a bit better now than they were seven years ago).

Quote:
Zettian Drones
Miniatures: Clone Wars Risk super battledroids

1L (4 figures) 5M 1R 1A 2D 40pts
Soulborgs/Common Squad/Drones/Tormented/Small 3

UTGAR SOULBORG BONDING
Before taking a turn with the Zettian Drones, you may take a turn with any Soulborg Hero you control who follows Utgar.

CLUSTER
Zettian Drones can move through all friendly figures and may occupy the same space with up to two other Zettian Drones. Zettian Drones in the same space are considered to be adjacent to each other for all purposes. If a Zettian Drone is chosen as the target for a special power and it is destroyed, all Zettian Drones in the same space are destroyed also.

EMERGENCY POWER BOOST
When a friendly Soulborg Hero who follows Utgar is attacked and at least one skull is rolled, before defense dice are rolled you may destroy up to three Zettian Drones you control who are adjacent to that Hero. Add one automatic shield to that Hero’s defense roll for each Drone destroyed in this way.
The big changes that I've made involved a slight tweak to the Cluster wording, removing the Climb x2 special power, and lowering the number of units in the squad from 6 to 4. Climb was removed purely for the sake of simplicity; I figured it wasn't necessary since we already have a Small 3 squad without a Climb ability in the Omnicron Repulsors.

I added a phrase to the Cluster wording allowing them to always move through friendly figures, to make it clear that if one Drone is engaged, other Drones can still enter the engaged Drone's space.

Lowering the number of figures in the squad down to 4 keeps them a bit more consistent with other Heroscape squads and reins in their power level a bit. When I tested the original 6 figure version, I was surprised by how offensively effective they were. Their cluster ability made it easy for multiple figures to take advantage of elevation perches, which meant that it was very possible to make six attacks of 2, plus the Deathwalker turn, which was very powerful. Using a more standard squad number of 4 should restrict their development and offensive potential a bit, which I think is a good thing.

Another possibility I'd considered would be to keep the squad at 6 figures, and remove the Soulborg Bonding. If you get the chance to playtest either version, feel free to let me know which you like better!

The figures I use for this unit are from the Clone Wars Risk set, which you should be able to find on Ebay for under $20.

Old September 3rd, 2022, 04:39 AM

TheIsamu knows what's in an order marker TheIsamu knows what's in an order marker

Thanks so much for responding and for the mini info. I'll definitely look into grabbing some after play testing both versions with some proxies (have enough for at least 3-4 squads worth I think). I think the revised rules are sound (6 attacks of 2 on top of explosion/rapid fire/explosive rounds/remote det. seems like absolute shenanigans) but taking away the bonding may be worth it since it gives the infantry some utility even though redundancies are nice.

Also your alternate Gilbert seems absolutely brutal, I would've thought something that compels enemies to move outside the accordance of their leaders wishes would be something akin to mind control or some sort of fear aura. Don't want to echo too much about what was already said but making some sort of threat or litany that compels the enemy to run away is how I interpreted it. Like "righteous proclamation" or "threat to cowards" is what came to mind immediately after reading the rules.

The Golden Legion is such an awesome design concept and although the SD Gundam minis fit the scale I cant unsee the proportions. I might have to bust out some of my 40k minis to run these guys. Are they like Einar's insurance policy if one of his champions gets mortally wounded? Your allusions in the write up and rules of these guys protecting their allies and the differing personalities on the cards seems to indicate that they may have died in service to the cause but due to their tenacity or skill in battle the mechs were whipped up in-house instead of being summoned from somewhere else. Maybe Im reading too much into it, maybe I got too much Warhammer on the brain or some of my own ideas for an Einar soulborg faction are leaking into my interpretations but I'm nevertheless curious.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards