Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old March 25th, 2008, 07:33 PM

darktrooper889 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quick question: After Spartacus dies, can I still put order markers on him, and become inspired?

I'd put a sig here, but I can't think of one. Greetings from my PSP!
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:42 PM

Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I can't find anything in the rules that says you can't put an order marker a dead figure's card.

I never lay awake at night wondering how to design an army that will help me win 40% of my games. -- Jexik

Do NOT click this link.
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:53 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth
Unless the card says so, like with the Viking Spirits or Thanos, the powers of dead units can't affect the game.
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:30 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
I've played a couple of bigger free-for-all games (800-1000 points or so) and had the three gladiators as my last units. Even though they represent nearly 400 points, the opponents overlook them. Something about three scantily clad men with swords doesn't seem threatening. While my enemies warred back and forth I moved 400 points into position and struck the enemy in their weak spot.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old March 27th, 2008, 06:55 PM

SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktrooper889
Quick question: After Spartacus dies, can I still put order markers on him, and become inspired?
I found this on the Rechets of Bogdan Book.

Question
- BEFORE "SUMMONING THE RECHETS" : Placing Order Markers on the Army Card BEFORE the Rechets are Summoned
Can an order marker be placed onto a card that has not been activated?

Answer
By activated you mean placed on the board right? The answer is yes, you can place an order marker on a figure that is not
on the board, either because they are destroyed, or not called yet. HOWEVER. You do not get to use any of the special
powers on that Army Card if the order marker is turned over and they are not on the board. (Hasbro FAQ)

So, yes, you can place an order marker on Spartacus after he dies, but his special power cannot be activated.

Whether to believe or disbelieve, it is a wicked thing to take away men’s hope.

Old March 30th, 2008, 05:54 PM

syvarris0 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
IMO Spartacus is underpriced,he has the ability of the viking champions rolled in to 1,it lasts the whole round,you don't have to move him,he doesn't have to be dead or adjacent for his power to work+he has great stats.

Haven't posted in 7 months,found out about PS3 and more recently WOWTBC
Old March 30th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by syvarris0
IMO Spartacus is underpriced,he has the ability of the viking champions rolled in to 1,it lasts the whole round,you don't have to move him,he doesn't have to be dead or adjacent for his power to work+he has great stats.
I would Embrace the Suck before I'd call him underpriced.
Old March 30th, 2008, 06:19 PM

DarkBladeCB is surprisingly tart
His power is, in principle, a nifty idea except... well... the gladiators don't have any range and you're looking at three attacks all turn and you're going to get stomped by anybody any good. These things are more than a little bit of a problem.

So, it's not his power that sucks, it's more that you can't really do as much with it in practice, though it sounds cool.

"Comics are a wellspring of imagination; comics can tell stories cheaply that other mediums cannot express. Today it costs $100 million to do special effects on film in 'Fantastic Four' that Jack Kirby could create 40 years ago with a pencil."
-Grant Morrison, at the New Yorker Festival
Old March 30th, 2008, 09:08 PM

greenless is surprisingly tart
Sparky isn't as bad as many have complained. just played all the gladiators for the first time against my daughters usual dragon army. Retiarius and Crixus took out Braxas and Nilfheim rather easily with sparacus bonus. but while i was camped takin out braxas mimrings fire pretty much toasted them and spartacus took out mimring in one attack. all of this was after i lost jotun to mass dragon special attacks while killing her sonlen.

i know i was basically fighting a non ranged army so thats why i had any chance.

I say if ever there is another gladiator unit spartacus will see alot of time on the battlefield at my house. he is well worth 200 points. my vote is for a common javalin unit i with bonding and something like 1 attack die ranged but 2 or 3 melee
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Warning! Reading my posts may make you smarter

mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Book of Spartacus

I've been wanting to play with Spartacus and his gladiators for a while now, but I've never been able to justify devoting 200 points to a powerful yet overcosted hero (in a 500 point game, anyways).

Having tried him out yesterday, the first thing I will say is that my army was terrible, including Sparatacus, Crixus, Nakita Agents and 1x Gorillinators. In our game, I drafted this army first and then let a player who is new to the game draft based upon his favourites from premade armies I'd given him in games prior. When I saw his draft choices, I was amazed/pleased that he drafted so well. He chose Major Q10, Syvarris, Raelin, Krav, and Kaemon Awa.

Outgunned and facing order marker hell vs. a faily strong ranged army of heros with ranged special attacks + one unique squad, I am surprised to say that Spartacus killed more than his points worth.

However, the problem for my army was that Spartacus was the only character who even came close to earning his points back. My plan was to move the gladiators up with Nakita support, but smoke powder only hit once in protecting Crixus, and the Nakitas failed in a squad-on-squad battle against the Raelin-boosted Krav. My monkeys never stood a chance and died with no incident. Suprisingly, an inspired Crixus was only able to put 2 wounds on Raelin before falling, whereas Spartacus fell a Raelin-boosted Q10 in one blow and killed two Krav before being slain by Syvarris.

With the exception of Spartacus' last ditch heroics, this was a disappointing game, because I had envisioned my army working differently. That said, I was pleased that my inexperienced opponent had drafted and played well against my army. Likewise, I was suprised that Spartacus would be the only character to earn his points in battle.

Although I'm certain that Spartacus isn't exactly worth his points in this scenario, I do like the hero killing power of inspired Crixus and Spartacus. I think that the next time I field Spartacus and Crixus in a 500 point game I will try out one of the following three armies:

1)

Spartacus - 90
Crixus - 90
Theracus - 40
Marro Warrios - 50
Airborne Elite - 110

Plan:
MW & Theracus (carrying Crixus) split order markers in the beginning. Inspire Crixus. AE drop planned once Crixus is mixing it up. Spartacus for cleanup duty. Hopefully, the MW get the opportunity to clone for end-game.

Spartacus - 90
Crixus - 90
Theracus - 40
Marro Warrios - 50
Krav - 100

Plan:
Krav & Theracus (carrying Crixus) split order markers in the beginning. Inspire Crixus. Spartacus as the next wave. MW for endgame cleanup. *Note* Substituting the Nakitas would play roughly the same and work given a 500 point limit.

Spartacus - 90
Crixus - 90
Deathreavers x2 - 80
Airborne Elite - 110

Plan:
Deathreavers clog up the field in the beginning. Inspire Crixus. AE drop planned once Crixus/Deathreavers are mixing it up. Spartacus for cleanup duty.

*Note* I didn't include Retarius in any of the above builds, because it seemed like too many points devoted to single activation hero killers.

Does anyone have a non-team game army using Spartacus that held its own that they would be willing to share? I'll happily report the outcomes of my games once I test them out.

Last edited by mccombju; October 11th, 2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old October 7th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Try:

Spartacus:200
Retiarius: 90
Crixus: 90
Ashigaru Riflemen x2: 120

Total: 500

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old October 7th, 2008, 01:10 PM

TexMex Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
Try:

Spartacus:200
Ashigaru Riflemen x2: 120

Total: 500

Brandon
I actually like that. I've been trying to come up with a 600 point tournament army for NHSD, and I really don't like using the "cliché" units. I was thinking

Spartacus: 200
Capt. America: 220

I figure Spartacus makes a pretty big target, but so does Capt. America. This way, if one gets killed early (which seems to happen to me often in tourneys), there's still one left to boost the others.

The Daily Pugle
Albuquerque, NM-NHSD Tourney 2008 Results:
TexMex: 2nd Place
Mrs. TexMex: 8th Place--Out of 10
PS I lost every battle in my first tourney

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units